Woman's chilling encounter at David Jones leads to a dire warning for all men

In a bustling David Jones department store, a scene unfolded that has become all too familiar in the discourse surrounding women's safety.

A woman, simply going about her shopping, noticed something deeply unsettling—a man, who appeared 'pretty normal' at first glance, engaging in behaviour that was anything but.

The man was allegedly taking photos of an unsuspecting female retail assistant’s buttocks, a violation of privacy that left the onlooker both shocked and compelled to act.

The shopper's decision to confront the man led to a torrent of verbal abuse, with the man resorting to derogatory slurs and aggressive demands for her to leave him alone.

shutterstock_1503217322.jpg
A shopper claimed a man was taking photos of a retail worker’s buttocks. Image source: Shutterstock

This incident, which took place in a Sydney store, has sparked a broader conversation about the pervasive issue of women feeling unsafe in public spaces.

The shopper's experience, which she shared on social media, highlights a disturbing reality: the constant vigilance women must maintain, even in environments where they should expect to feel secure.

‘This is it,’ she said. ‘When women speak about feeling unsafe and uncomfortable, it's this.’

The woman urged men to wake up: ‘It's not about worrying about being attacked all the time, even though that is a very real reality, it's about the fact that a girl working can't even feel safe in her work environment without worrying about if a random man is going to be taking photos of her [buttocks] from behind her without even knowing.’

‘I really just hope that any man that's watching this can take a moment to realise,’ she added.

The incident at David Jones is not an isolated one. It comes against a backdrop of ongoing violence against women in Australia.

Counting Dead Women Australia, an organisation that keeps a register of women killed by violence in the country, reported that 26 women have been killed by domestic violence so far in 2024.

The recent attacks at Westfield in Bondi Junction, where a male mass murderer's motives are under investigation, further underscore the gravity of the situation.

Prime Minister Albanese acknowledged the need for significant and swift action to combat violence against women, stating that both the government and society bear responsibility.

‘We all have a responsibility to do what we can to address what is a scourge of violence against women,’ he stated.

‘Men and boys have to clearly have discussions about these issues. There is a need to show respect to women,’ he added.

This chilling encounter serves as a dire warning and a call to action. It's a reminder that the responsibility to create a safe environment for women lies with everyone.

It's crucial that we continue to support and advocate for the well-being of all women, teaching younger generations the importance of respect and consent.
Key Takeaways
  • A woman shopper at David Jones in Sydney noticed a man taking photos of an unsuspecting female retail assistant.
  • When she confronted him, the woman was subjected to verbal abuse and derogatory comments.
  • The incident highlights growing concerns about the safety of women in public spaces in Australia.
  • The Prime Minister called for changes to address the issue of violence against women and urged discussions among men and boys about respect towards women.
What are your thoughts on this topic, members? If you have any insights or experiences to share, please let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
I saw a similar incident at a shopping centre in Townsville a male taking photos of a young woman, I was near a pole and took a photo of this person and went straight to security reported it and gave then the photos to identify this person...it made me sick to think this "person" thought it was ok..just to add to this the person looked like they came from an ethnic background...think trafficking ITS BLOODY FRIGHTENING

Yes it's disgusting behaviour to do this. But it's probably better to let security know what is going on if possible.
Some people who get confronted about this sort of stuff can quickly turn into a very violent and dangerous person.
It's sad to say but it's best not to risk it.
What do others think?

people keep saying there's nothing wrong with mobile phones .HUH!! They should all be collected and destroyed. They aren't necessary.

This won’t go away especially with the public conveniences allowing both male and female in the same toilets. It’s a scary thought to think that there could be a pervert or even worse just waiting to pounce on a poor unsuspecting young child or teenagers woman or man. We have made a mistake pandering to everyone in case we hurt their feeling. That perv will get away with it because politicians do the same thing and they get away with it.

How about the upcoming misuse of the proposed body cameras to be worn by retail staff, BOTH male and female?

And don't try to tell me that all females are angels. The greatest myth since Jesus F. Christ!

Call me a misogynist? You'd better ask the girl sitting right next to me.

What an odd thing to say mines definately necessary.😊
Absolutely agree!! - We take away everybody’s phone because some pervert used theirs for unacceptable purposes? That girl could have been in a very dangerous situation had it not been in a store and she would have needed her phone more than anything else to get her out of trouble!!!
What so we take everyone’s cameras away too?
Do you even think before you post???

Absolutely agree!! - We take away everybody’s phone because some pervert used theirs for unacceptable purposes? That girl could have been in a very dangerous situation had it not been in a store and she would have needed her phone more than anything else to get her out of trouble!!!
What so we take everyone’s cameras away too?
Do you even think before you post???
We could extend that mindset to kitchen knives. Some nutters go berserk with knives so we ban all knives?

I don't think so!

How about the upcoming misuse of the proposed body cameras to be worn by retail staff, BOTH male and female?

And don't try to tell me that all females are angels. The greatest myth since Jesus F. Christ!

Call me a misogynist? You'd better ask the girl sitting right next to me.
Veg, I'd never call you a miso and sadly, there are a great many females who commit domestic violence but they aren't spoken about. As for cameras of all sorts, I remember happier times when we could take innocent photos now people seem to use them along with phones for any excuse for good or bad. Look at the scream in here "I can't live without my phone".. Heaven help them. I was once asked what I'd do if I wasn't at home and was attacked..... I'd use my God given voice and yell HELP' "Where's my phone?" would not be my first thought.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
That is what security guards are for, I agree take a photo if you can and then go to a security guard, don't engage if a person is doing something illegal then they wouldn't hesitate to turn on you and either do you harm or have tirade of abusive language to try and make you feel small and scare the hell out of you. However my first thought would be to go straight to a security guard so they can watch what he does and then intervene. I am sure he wouldn't have bothered the security guard and they usually have back up pretty quickly.