Woman walking dog falls victim to alleged robbery by trio of kids!

In a shocking incident that has left the community reeling, a woman was allegedly robbed at knifepoint by three children while she was out walking her dog on the Gold Coast.

This unsettling event has raised concerns about youth crime in the area and has prompted calls for increased vigilance and community safety measures.

Late in the evening, Kellie Hodge, a 53-year-old resident of Pimpama, was returning home from her routine dog walk when she noticed she was being followed.

'It wasn't till I was nearly home that I realised they were following me,' she told a news source.

The situation started off innocent enough, with one of the boys taking notice of her pet.

Screenshot 2024-01-08 101545.png
Minors were caught by police after robbing a woman walking her dog. Image: 9news

‘One of the guys, the young fella, said, “Can I pat your dog miss?” and I said, “Yeah, no problem” so he went down and turned around with a scalpel and looked at me and said “Give me your effing keys.”’

‘Then the other young boy came up to me with the other scalpel and ripped the keys off me.’

The trio allegedly threatened Hodge, warning her that they would return to steal her car before fleeing the scene.

Shaken and terrified, Hodge sought help from a neighbour who promptly alerted the police.

The dog squad was able to track down the youths, and they were arrested nearby. Knives were allegedly seized from both boys.

The alleged offenders, a 12-year-old boy from Tanah Merah, a 13-year-old boy from Willow Vale, and a 15-year-old girl from Pimpama, were each charged with one count of robbery, whilst armed and in company. They will remain in custody until their court date.

'I think I'm in shock because I didn't think 12 and 13-year-olds would do that,' Hodge said.

Although she was not physically injured, the emotional trauma of the incident has left her sleepless.

The police are appealing to anyone who may have witnessed the incident or have CCTV footage from the area to come forward.

This incident has highlighted the need for increased community vigilance and the importance of reporting suspicious activity to the police.

In the wake of this incident, Queensland Premier Steven Miles is set to hold his first youth crime meeting with the founder of the Voice for Victims group, Ben Cannon.

The said meeting aims to address the growing concerns about youth crime in the area and discuss potential strategies to combat it.

Understanding Youth Crime: A Deeper Look

Youth crime is a complex issue that requires a multi-faceted approach. It is often a symptom of deeper societal issues such as poverty, lack of education, family dysfunction, and substance abuse.

Early intervention and prevention strategies are key to addressing youth crime. These can include mentoring programs, family support services, and educational initiatives that provide young people with positive role models and opportunities for growth.

While this incident is deeply troubling, it is important to remember that it is not representative of all young people. The majority of youth are law-abiding citizens who contribute positively to their communities.

However, for those who do engage in criminal behaviour, it is crucial that they are held accountable for their actions and provided with the necessary support to change their behaviour.

Personal Safety Tips

In light of this incident, it's also a good time to remind ourselves of some basic personal safety tips.

Take care to inform anyone—a spouse, son, daughter, or even friendly neighbour—that you’ll be heading out.

Once outside, always be aware of your surroundings, especially when walking alone at night.

If you notice someone following you, head to a populated area or seek help immediately. Consider carrying a personal alarm or whistle, and don't hesitate to use it if you feel threatened.

Always report suspicious activity to the police, and remember, your safety is paramount.

Key Takeaways
  • Three children, aged 12, 13, and 15, have been charged with armed robbery after allegedly threatening a woman on the Gold Coast.
  • The victim, Kellie Hodge, was approached while walking her dog and was forced to hand over her keys at knifepoint.
  • Police utilised the dog squad to track down the youths, who were found nearby, and knives were allegedly seized from the boys.
  • The incident has shocked the victim and the community, prompting Queensland Premier Steven Miles to hold a youth crime meeting.

What are your thoughts on this incident, members? Have you experienced or witnessed youth crime in your area? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Really makes you wonder what's going on for these kids to be able to point a scalpel at an innocent person. Are they genuinely in need of money? Are they doing this for a sick, twisted sense of fun?

Spot on with the parents, too.
I think absolutely nothing good is going on for them unfortunately.

Conscript them straight into the army, no age barrier, no school, just army style discipline. These young people need strong but fair role models who can help them become decent human beings. Unfortunately, their parents have let them down.
Unfortunately, we can't expect our army to be babysitters for out of control youth.
But, I certainly believe boys and girls homes, without the abuse committed in the past, be built with army style discipline and they not be released back into society until they know how to behave as a proper member of society. Fines for the parents of these ferals might be an idea, but the problem being a lot of these parents are ferals themselves and would never pay the fines anyway.
The goody two shoes in this society with their crazy woke ideas have a lot to answer for.

Unfortunately, we can't expect our army to be babysitters for out of control youth.
But, I certainly believe boys and girls homes, without the abuse committed in the past, be built with army style discipline and they not be released back into society until they know how to behave as a proper member of society. Fines for the parents of these ferals might be an idea, but the problem being a lot of these parents are ferals themselves and would never pay the fines anyway.
The goody two shoes in this society with their crazy woke ideas have a lot to answer for.
Yes, and I think the feral parents should pay extra towards the costs - either taxed more or welfare taken away, they can be the ones living on the streets, if it can be shown to be their actions that cause this problem.

In a shocking incident that has left the community reeling, a woman was allegedly robbed at knifepoint by three children while she was out walking her dog on the Gold Coast.

This unsettling event has raised concerns about youth crime in the area and has prompted calls for increased vigilance and community safety measures.

Late in the evening, Kellie Hodge, a 53-year-old resident of Pimpama, was returning home from her routine dog walk when she noticed she was being followed.

'It wasn't till I was nearly home that I realised they were following me,' she told a news source.

The situation started off innocent enough, with one of the boys taking notice of her pet.

View attachment 38819
Minors were caught by police after robbing a woman walking her dog. Image: 9news

‘One of the guys, the young fella, said, “Can I pat your dog miss?” and I said, “Yeah, no problem” so he went down and turned around with a scalpel and looked at me and said “Give me your effing keys.”’

‘Then the other young boy came up to me with the other scalpel and ripped the keys off me.’

The trio allegedly threatened Hodge, warning her that they would return to steal her car before fleeing the scene.

Shaken and terrified, Hodge sought help from a neighbour who promptly alerted the police.

The dog squad was able to track down the youths, and they were arrested nearby. Knives were allegedly seized from both boys.

The alleged offenders, a 12-year-old boy from Tanah Merah, a 13-year-old boy from Willow Vale, and a 15-year-old girl from Pimpama, were each charged with one count of robbery, whilst armed and in company. They will remain in custody until their court date.

'I think I'm in shock because I didn't think 12 and 13-year-olds would do that,' Hodge said.

Although she was not physically injured, the emotional trauma of the incident has left her sleepless.

The police are appealing to anyone who may have witnessed the incident or have CCTV footage from the area to come forward.

This incident has highlighted the need for increased community vigilance and the importance of reporting suspicious activity to the police.

In the wake of this incident, Queensland Premier Steven Miles is set to hold his first youth crime meeting with the founder of the Voice for Victims group, Ben Cannon.

The said meeting aims to address the growing concerns about youth crime in the area and discuss potential strategies to combat it.

Understanding Youth Crime: A Deeper Look

Youth crime is a complex issue that requires a multi-faceted approach. It is often a symptom of deeper societal issues such as poverty, lack of education, family dysfunction, and substance abuse.

Early intervention and prevention strategies are key to addressing youth crime. These can include mentoring programs, family support services, and educational initiatives that provide young people with positive role models and opportunities for growth.

While this incident is deeply troubling, it is important to remember that it is not representative of all young people. The majority of youth are law-abiding citizens who contribute positively to their communities.

However, for those who do engage in criminal behaviour, it is crucial that they are held accountable for their actions and provided with the necessary support to change their behaviour.

Personal Safety Tips

In light of this incident, it's also a good time to remind ourselves of some basic personal safety tips.

Take care to inform anyone—a spouse, son, daughter, or even friendly neighbour—that you’ll be heading out.

Once outside, always be aware of your surroundings, especially when walking alone at night.

If you notice someone following you, head to a populated area or seek help immediately. Consider carrying a personal alarm or whistle, and don't hesitate to use it if you feel threatened.

Always report suspicious activity to the police, and remember, your safety is paramount.

Key Takeaways

• Three children, aged 12, 13, and 15, have been charged with armed robbery after allegedly threatening a woman on the Gold Coast.
  • The victim, Kellie Hodge, was approached while walking her dog and was forced to hand over her keys at knifepoint.
  • Police utilised the dog squad to track down the youths, who were found nearby, and knives were allegedly seized from the boys.
  • The incident has shocked the victim and the community, prompting Queensland Premier Steven Miles to hold a youth crime meeting.

What are your thoughts on this incident, members? Have you experienced or witnessed youth crime in your area? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.
nowadays kids as young as 10 are committing serious crimes, you need to be on your guard at ALL times, it is a shame but that's how the world is now, it's not the 1950's anymore, and the young offenders just get a slap on the wrist and told :don't be naughty" and the kids know that nothing will happen to them.

People may be surprised just how quickly army discipline pulls people back into line
I worked in the office for the Army back when conscription was on for the Vietnam War.
As you can imagine many did not want to be there and many had quite an attitude.
One young fellow had spent nearly
4 months in the lock up, a week here, two weeks there. They used to sit outside my office waiting for their charges to be heard. I asked him one day if he was a slow learner. He said he was going to spend as much time as possible in the can until his two years was up. He thought he was very smart and it was quite funny, until I pointed out to him that all that time would be added onto his two years.
Never saw him again outside my office .

Bring back compulsory National Service; I believe that making them do some time learning to obey and do hard slogging would help. It must start at age 10 on a reduced, but gradually increasing, rate of obedience according to age. But I don’t think it will reverse the culture of the ones already beyond control. I have two grandsons aged 17 and 19 and a granddaughter aged 21. They have the utmost respect for their parents, grandparents and adults in general. I would not like to see them go through National Service, but if it comes back, then so be it.

Unfortunately, parents seem to want everything that opens and shuts from day one and all at once, they are up to, and well over, their eyeballs in debt, massive credit cards, all overdrawn so, of course, they both have to work. The kids are left to their own devices, some from the age of 10, with no parental control or education on how to respect others, they come home from school about 4pm (that’s if they even went to school after their parents left for work) and so they do what they want. They rob, molest and injure the innocent - so much just for fun - and stay out till all hours, often with much older ‘juvenile criminals’. How many days go by without these juveniles molesting, actually injuring with knives and machetes, and stealing cars? Not one day.

What will turn make our ministers and justices turn around and be brave enough to impose harsh penalties is an issue which our voices in the wilderness cannot remedy. It MAY only happen after a minister or judge has the same thing happen to them or their wife or children. Then they will act - because they will feel it has been an act that has been an abuse of them and their family and should not happen to them, and to others.

No child or juvenile should be immune from learning respect of others. None of this LET KIDS BE KIDS rubbish.

You know the first thing I would remove if they were my kids?
The mobile phones, making it more difficult for them to rally their mates and organize trouble.
An elderly resident in aged care many years ago told me, if you plant a tree and want it to grow well and look good, you have to feed,water,prune and stake it, to make it grow the way you want.
Same as for kids, feed, water, discipline and educate.

Reactions: Leenie
I'm not sure about blaming parents (or making them pay?) Parents are not allowed to discipline the kids these times, thanks to the do gooders (anti smacking etc) & kids can leave home at 12 or 13yo & get Centrelink payments, regardless of whether they come from good families

Often good kids make bad choices & these kids can come from the best, loving families.
I have an 11yo neice that went on a bender & it took 4 cops to settle her down.
I also have a nephew who sold ice/meth & went to jail for it, he's rehabbing now & has a young son himself!
They both came from very loving families (one who parents both worked & one who stays home/single mum). It was rare if ever that these kids had a smack on the bum or had consequences that were followed thru!

I've raised 2 sons who were no angels when young either (& were quite a challenge) but they knew what the wooden spoon was for & found there were consequences for their actions (privileges removed, etc & positive reinforcements). Neither have ever been in any trouble with the law & now both have good jobs & support themselves (live away independantly) since 18yos & are good, caring, considerate respectful humans

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SandyM
If this was late in the evening why were the kids not at home and why did the parents not know?

Don't come live in my area, we have them from the age of 10 who are stealing cars, breaking into homes, threatening people and stealing from & breaking into from local Coles/Woolworths stores. They don't tend to approach anyone who is Indigenous or they think is Indigenous so I tend to make sure I have or am wearing something that makes them believe that I am Indigenous even though I'm not.

Reactions: Leenie
Aren't schools responsible for educating the children now. It's not working, they need a different kind of education. One that teaches structure and respect. How would turning children's lives around be a blemish on our defence force. The government is looking to recruit people from overseas to join our defence force. A cadet type system might work better. Win,win for all
Yes Schools are responsible for the education NOT discipline that is their so called parents responsibility but a Military school would be great that's where they would learn a trade, respect and discipline.

Reactions: Gsr
The armed forces don't take just anyone. They do medical and psychological tests before approving applicants, and it's not a simple entry.
My take on it is the issue these days is parents don't want to get into an argument with enforcing the discipline on their kids. Life is easier if they ignore their kids behaviour.
I'm sure I'm not the lone ranger with being in a jury with court cases, to see how the court's work.

This is so hard to believe. Where do kids this young get these knives, scalpels etc. they are certainly old enough to know what they are doing is wrong, so they should be old enough to deal with being sent to juvenile detention for at least 12 months. Deprive them of all but the basics they need to survive, no mobile phones, computers, gaming systems, tv. Let them have time to think about what they did, and how hard life can be if they keep doing stupid stuff. Keep reminding them why they are in detention so they don’t think what they did was acceptable. Charge the parents with child neglect, kids that age shouldn’t be roaming the streets, parents need to get back to being parents and not thinking their kids are everybody else’s problem. Parents need to be made to pay for any damage done by their kids until they are 18 and adults and able to pay themselves. Harsher punishment needs to be mandatory, and publicised so other kids are aware of what to expect if they do stupid, criminal stuff. There needs to be no charges against anyone who is a victim of crime who defends themselves in any manner they can, regardless of what injuries or worse happen to the criminals, even if they are juvenile.

• Love
Reactions: June E and Leenie
This is so hard to believe. Where do kids this young get these knives, scalpels etc. they are certainly old enough to know what they are doing is wrong, so they should be old enough to deal with being sent to juvenile detention for at least 12 months. Deprive them of all but the basics they need to survive, no mobile phones, computers, gaming systems, tv. Let them have time to think about what they did, and how hard life can be if they keep doing stupid stuff. Keep reminding them why they are in detention so they don’t think what they did was acceptable. Charge the parents with child neglect, kids that age shouldn’t be roaming the streets, parents need to get back to being parents and not thinking their kids are everybody else’s problem. Parents need to be made to pay for any damage done by their kids until they are 18 and adults and able to pay themselves. Harsher punishment needs to be mandatory, and publicised so other kids are aware of what to expect if they do stupid, criminal stuff. There needs to be no charges against anyone who is a victim of crime who defends themselves in any manner they can, regardless of what injuries or worse happen to the criminals, even if they are juvenile.
We had a army style boot camp here at Susan river and it was going wonders for these little grubs until the useless state government pulled the funds and he had to close. A lot of these youths passed and they ended up in employment,although some failed and had n.o intentions of doing the course .

If this was late in the evening why were the kids not at home and why did the parents not know?
They are lazy B’s and don’t care what their little darlings are up to out of out of mind,

Yes Schools are responsible for the education NOT discipline that is their so called parents responsibility but a Military school would be great that's where they would learn a trade, respect and discipline.
Kids are not being educated these days they are being brainwashed.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Conscript them straight into the army, no age barrier, no school, just army style discipline. These young people need strong but fair role models who can help them become decent human beings. Unfortunately, their parents have let them down.
Why make it the Army s problem?? Rather than have Military training disrupted by non co-operating individuals, open a Government "Boot Camp" with strict discipline.

It seems we may need to look at Norway's Prison System - it seems to be more successful than others.

I'm not sure about blaming parents (or making them pay?) Parents are not allowed to discipline the kids these times, thanks to the do gooders (anti smacking etc) & kids can leave home at 12 or 13yo & get Centrelink payments, regardless of whether they come from good families

Often good kids make bad choices & these kids can come from the best, loving families.
I have an 11yo neice that went on a bender & it took 4 cops to settle her down.
I also have a nephew who sold ice/meth & went to jail for it, he's rehabbing now & has a young son himself!
They both came from very loving families (one who parents both worked & one who stays home/single mum). It was rare if ever that these kids had a smack on the bum or had consequences that were followed thru!

I've raised 2 sons who were no angels when young either (& were quite a challenge) but they knew what the wooden spoon was for & found there were consequences for their actions (privileges removed, etc & positive reinforcements). Neither have ever been in any trouble with the law & now both have good jobs & support themselves (live away independantly) since 18yos & are good, caring, considerate respectful humans
All good points and don't disagree, like I said earlier some kids are uncontrollable, no matter what you do. So, if a child isn't doing well at school, you get them a tutor, that is why I suggest a more disciplined approach like cadetship to the army. I'm not suggesting they be sent off to fight a war.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Why make it the Army s problem?? Rather than have Military training disrupted by non co-operating individuals, open a Government "Boot Camp" with strict discipline.
That would work if they had the same sort of training. I think the kids need someone they can respect, which is why I suggested the army.