Woman walking dog falls victim to alleged robbery by trio of kids!

In a shocking incident that has left the community reeling, a woman was allegedly robbed at knifepoint by three children while she was out walking her dog on the Gold Coast.

This unsettling event has raised concerns about youth crime in the area and has prompted calls for increased vigilance and community safety measures.

Late in the evening, Kellie Hodge, a 53-year-old resident of Pimpama, was returning home from her routine dog walk when she noticed she was being followed.

'It wasn't till I was nearly home that I realised they were following me,' she told a news source.

The situation started off innocent enough, with one of the boys taking notice of her pet.

Screenshot 2024-01-08 101545.png
Minors were caught by police after robbing a woman walking her dog. Image: 9news

‘One of the guys, the young fella, said, “Can I pat your dog miss?” and I said, “Yeah, no problem” so he went down and turned around with a scalpel and looked at me and said “Give me your effing keys.”’

‘Then the other young boy came up to me with the other scalpel and ripped the keys off me.’

The trio allegedly threatened Hodge, warning her that they would return to steal her car before fleeing the scene.

Shaken and terrified, Hodge sought help from a neighbour who promptly alerted the police.

The dog squad was able to track down the youths, and they were arrested nearby. Knives were allegedly seized from both boys.

The alleged offenders, a 12-year-old boy from Tanah Merah, a 13-year-old boy from Willow Vale, and a 15-year-old girl from Pimpama, were each charged with one count of robbery, whilst armed and in company. They will remain in custody until their court date.

'I think I'm in shock because I didn't think 12 and 13-year-olds would do that,' Hodge said.

Although she was not physically injured, the emotional trauma of the incident has left her sleepless.

The police are appealing to anyone who may have witnessed the incident or have CCTV footage from the area to come forward.

This incident has highlighted the need for increased community vigilance and the importance of reporting suspicious activity to the police.

In the wake of this incident, Queensland Premier Steven Miles is set to hold his first youth crime meeting with the founder of the Voice for Victims group, Ben Cannon.

The said meeting aims to address the growing concerns about youth crime in the area and discuss potential strategies to combat it.

Understanding Youth Crime: A Deeper Look

Youth crime is a complex issue that requires a multi-faceted approach. It is often a symptom of deeper societal issues such as poverty, lack of education, family dysfunction, and substance abuse.

Early intervention and prevention strategies are key to addressing youth crime. These can include mentoring programs, family support services, and educational initiatives that provide young people with positive role models and opportunities for growth.

While this incident is deeply troubling, it is important to remember that it is not representative of all young people. The majority of youth are law-abiding citizens who contribute positively to their communities.

However, for those who do engage in criminal behaviour, it is crucial that they are held accountable for their actions and provided with the necessary support to change their behaviour.

Personal Safety Tips

In light of this incident, it's also a good time to remind ourselves of some basic personal safety tips.

Take care to inform anyone—a spouse, son, daughter, or even friendly neighbour—that you’ll be heading out.

Once outside, always be aware of your surroundings, especially when walking alone at night.

If you notice someone following you, head to a populated area or seek help immediately. Consider carrying a personal alarm or whistle, and don't hesitate to use it if you feel threatened.

Always report suspicious activity to the police, and remember, your safety is paramount.

Key Takeaways
  • Three children, aged 12, 13, and 15, have been charged with armed robbery after allegedly threatening a woman on the Gold Coast.
  • The victim, Kellie Hodge, was approached while walking her dog and was forced to hand over her keys at knifepoint.
  • Police utilised the dog squad to track down the youths, who were found nearby, and knives were allegedly seized from the boys.
  • The incident has shocked the victim and the community, prompting Queensland Premier Steven Miles to hold a youth crime meeting.

What are your thoughts on this incident, members? Have you experienced or witnessed youth crime in your area? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Enough! If this Government is so mealy mouthed and afraid of the 'woke' not voting for them if they bring in legislation to address this and empower judges to give minimum Hard penalties they should think instead of those who are sick of this legal intolerance - there are a LOT more of us who will be voting.

In a shocking incident that has left the community reeling, a woman was allegedly robbed at knifepoint by three children while she was out walking her dog on the Gold Coast.

This unsettling event has raised concerns about youth crime in the area and has prompted calls for increased vigilance and community safety measures.

Late in the evening, Kellie Hodge, a 53-year-old resident of Pimpama, was returning home from her routine dog walk when she noticed she was being followed.

'It wasn't till I was nearly home that I realised they were following me,' she told a news source.

The situation started off innocent enough, with one of the boys taking notice of her pet.

View attachment 38819
Minors were caught by police after robbing a woman walking her dog. Image: 9news

‘One of the guys, the young fella, said, “Can I pat your dog miss?” and I said, “Yeah, no problem” so he went down and turned around with a scalpel and looked at me and said “Give me your effing keys.”’

‘Then the other young boy came up to me with the other scalpel and ripped the keys off me.’

The trio allegedly threatened Hodge, warning her that they would return to steal her car before fleeing the scene.

Shaken and terrified, Hodge sought help from a neighbour who promptly alerted the police.

The dog squad was able to track down the youths, and they were arrested nearby. Knives were allegedly seized from both boys.

The alleged offenders, a 12-year-old boy from Tanah Merah, a 13-year-old boy from Willow Vale, and a 15-year-old girl from Pimpama, were each charged with one count of robbery, whilst armed and in company. They will remain in custody until their court date.

'I think I'm in shock because I didn't think 12 and 13-year-olds would do that,' Hodge said.

Although she was not physically injured, the emotional trauma of the incident has left her sleepless.

The police are appealing to anyone who may have witnessed the incident or have CCTV footage from the area to come forward.

This incident has highlighted the need for increased community vigilance and the importance of reporting suspicious activity to the police.

In the wake of this incident, Queensland Premier Steven Miles is set to hold his first youth crime meeting with the founder of the Voice for Victims group, Ben Cannon.

The said meeting aims to address the growing concerns about youth crime in the area and discuss potential strategies to combat it.

Youth crime is a complex issue that requires a multi-faceted approach. It is often a symptom of deeper societal issues such as poverty, lack of education, family dysfunction, and substance abuse.

Early intervention and prevention strategies are key to addressing youth crime. These can include mentoring programs, family support services, and educational initiatives that provide young people with positive role models and opportunities for growth.

While this incident is deeply troubling, it is important to remember that it is not representative of all young people. The majority of youth are law-abiding citizens who contribute positively to their communities.

However, for those who do engage in criminal behaviour, it is crucial that they are held accountable for their actions and provided with the necessary support to change their behaviour.

Personal Safety Tips

In light of this incident, it's also a good time to remind ourselves of some basic personal safety tips.

Take care to inform anyone—a spouse, son, daughter, or even friendly neighbour—that you’ll be heading out.

Once outside, always be aware of your surroundings, especially when walking alone at night.

If you notice someone following you, head to a populated area or seek help immediately. Consider carrying a personal alarm or whistle, and don't hesitate to use it if you feel threatened.

Always report suspicious activity to the police, and remember, your safety is paramount.

Key Takeaways

• Three children, aged 12, 13, and 15, have been charged with armed robbery after allegedly threatening a woman on the Gold Coast.
  • The victim, Kellie Hodge, was approached while walking her dog and was forced to hand over her keys at knifepoint.
  • Police utilised the dog squad to track down the youths, who were found nearby, and knives were allegedly seized from the boys.
  • The incident has shocked the victim and the community, prompting Queensland Premier Steven Miles to hold a youth crime meeting.

What are your thoughts on this incident, members? Have you experienced or witnessed youth crime in your area? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.
This soft touch with youth who commit a serious crime, and that is holding a scalpel to an elderly lady does not need a soft touch. They need to learn by example what happens when you commit said crime. Bring back Teenage dentention centres, or something other than a slap on the wrist. They are not learning from the soft touch that Magistrates hand out these days. They need a shock to realise, do wrong and there are consequences.

Consequences MUST follow the event/crime.

Gradual removal of consequences over several years has brought us to the present time.

Removal of consequences has been across the landscape in schools and generally in communities.

Lack of consequences results in the perpetrators becoming heroes to many of their peers and the 5 minutes of fame is ego boosting.

Reintroduce APPROPRIATE CONSEQUENCES that will resonate with minors who offend.

Governments must look to youth crime management in overseas countries where the rates of such crime are low and implement parts of those systems that work and are appropriate for Australia.

I emphasise 'implement PARTS of those systems ... Appropriate for Australia'.

View attachment 38819

Personal Safety Tips

Key Takeaways

Everyone is sick to death of these young criminals who have no respect or thought for other people, and while it continues that they get away with these crimes.....stealing cars, house breaking, threatening with knives etc etc. it won't change.
We need to have detention centres set up where they spend a lot of time learning behaviour management....and learning some sort of trade would be excellent!! Then there's a chance they could get a job down the track. While it continues that these young criminals get a slap on the wrist, it's never going to stop ! 🙄

Social Media has a lot to answer for. Not all children are doing this for need - often a black Audi is car of choice and not to sell - just about hooning around and posting on social media. I have no answer as to how to redirect this sub-culture.

View attachment 38819

Personal Safety Tips

Key Takeaways

There's always a bloody excuse, the poor kids are misunderstood, had bad home life, there's nothing for them to do at my Grandaughters school they have breakfast for the underprivileged, bull s.. t I have volunteered at the BBQ, a heap of these have parents that both work and spend their nights drinking and drive around in $80. To 90 thousand uses, living the high life Make the parents accountable wake up it all starts at home.

Conscript them straight into the army, no age barrier, no school, just army style discipline. These young people need strong but fair role models who can help them become decent human beings. Unfortunately, their parents have let them down.

There's always a bloody excuse, the poor kids are misunderstood, had bad home life, there's nothing for them to do at my Grandaughters school they have breakfast for the underprivileged, bull s.. t I have volunteered at the BBQ, a heap of these have parents that both work and spend their nights drinking and drive around in $80. To 90 thousand uses, living the high life Make the parents accountable wake up it all starts at home.
When it comes to 12 and 13 y/os I believe the parents should be held responsible. I do not believe incarcerating kids of this age will do anything good and will only create a bigger problem further down the track. Make the parents pay for the intervention required, whatever that may be.

Conscript them straight into the army, no age barrier, no school, just army style discipline. These young people need strong but fair role models who can help them become decent human beings. Unfortunately, their parents have let them down.
Don't know that the Army should be responsible for these kids. This would be a blemish on our Defence Personnel.

View attachment 38819

Personal Safety Tips

Key Takeaways

I live on the Gold Coast. Glad to see they are being held in custody until their court date and not immediately released.

Where are the parents? What are they doing to control their children?

Unfortunately, a minority of parents are just as bad.

Don't know that the Army should be responsible for these kids. This would be a blemish on our Defence Personnel.
Aren't schools responsible for educating the children now. It's not working, they need a different kind of education. One that teaches structure and respect. How would turning children's lives around be a blemish on our defence force. The government is looking to recruit people from overseas to join our defence force. A cadet type system might work better. Win,win for all

When it comes to 12 and 13 y/os I believe the parents should be held responsible. I do not believe incarcerating kids of this age will do anything good and will only create a bigger problem further down the track. Make the parents pay for the intervention required, whatever that may be.
Trouble is, the parents may well be worse than the kids, and some kids just aren't controllable.

Aren't schools responsible for educating the children now. It's not working, they need a different kind of education. One that teaches structure and respect. How would turning children's lives around be a blemish on our defence force. The government is looking to recruit people from overseas to join our defence force. A cadet type system might work better. Win,win for all
If you are talking about military style boot camp detentions - worthy of consideration. But I disagree that criminals should be thrown into our ADF. Our Defence Force Personnel have a higher moral code and should never be associated with low IQ anti-social types.