Woman fined $302 for this ‘bizarre’ driving mistake

Driving is a daily necessity for many Australians, but are you aware of all the rules of the road?

A recent incident involving a Lismore woman, Christa Hagan, has highlighted a little-known traffic law that could see you slapped with a hefty fine and demerit points.

Hagan was driving down Invercauld Rd when she was pulled over by a police officer on a motorbike. To her surprise, she was fined $302 for driving over what she described as 'the smallest roundabout I’ve ever seen'.

'There were no cars behind me, coming towards me or coming from the side road I turned into,' she said. 'I definitely didn’t see the cop wherever he was hiding.'

compressed-pexels-andrea-piacquadio-787476.jpeg
A woman was caught off-guard when she was fined a hefty sum for driving over a roundabout in NSW. Image: Pexels

Hagan was unaware that her action was illegal. According to NSW law, motorists 'must drive to the left of the central traffic island in the roundabout'.

The only exception is for large vehicles that cannot manoeuvre around the roundabout, in which case they are required to go over the left side of the roundabout rather than straight in the middle.

This rule is not unique to NSW. Other Australian states have similar laws, with penalties varying from state to state.

South Australians face a $499 fine and three demerit points for breaking this rule, while Victorians could be forced to pay $192 with one demerit point.

Queenslanders face a lesser fine of $92 but will also receive two demerit points.

In the ACT, the fine is $400, and in Western Australia, drivers would pay a $150 fine and receive three demerit points.

Hagan shared her story on social media, sparking a debate about the legality and practicality of the rule.

‘In a big 4wd or long ute it’s nearly impossible not to drive up on that roundabout. Most people go straight over the top and don’t even try to use the lane. Not to incriminate myself, but I’ve probably done it once or twice by accident, of course,’ one person shared.

‘It’s a roundabout. not a roundover. If everyone else can go around it, why can’t you? Don’t be lazy,’ another person expressed.

Many sympathised with Hagan, pointing out that the small size of some roundabouts made it difficult to avoid driving over them.

'I always clip the edge of that roundabout. If you can actually call it that, it’s a black plastic mound. First one like that I have ever seen!' one woman commented.

‘So many people do that...I know some vehicles can’t even make the turning circle of that roundabout without going over it at some point. I’ve seen that cop there so many times now, just waiting for that to happen!’ another wrote.

Hagan confirmed that she would be contesting the fine due to the roundabout’s size.

Driving laws are in place to ensure the safety of all road users. However, some rules may not be as well-known as others, leading to unintentional violations and fines.

This is why it's crucial to familiarise yourself with the road rules in your state or territory, especially those that may seem obscure or unusual.

Remember, staying informed can help you avoid unnecessary fines and keep our roads safer for everyone.

Key Takeaways
  • A woman in Lismore, NSW, was handed a $302 fine and two demerit points for driving over a small roundabout.
  • She was unaware it was illegal and has issued a warning to others about this little-known rule.
  • Different Australian states impose varying fines and demerit points for breaking this rule.
  • Ms Hagan intends to contest the fine, stating she was unable to navigate the roundabout without going over it due to its small size.

Have you ever been fined for unintentionally violating a little-known traffic rule? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy and Babybird
Sponsored
There is a tiny roundabout in our street & as you have to slow in case cars come speeding out it’s not hard to drive around it. Our street is an obstacle course & a lot of people mistake it for a rally track. Rules for roundabouts have been common knowledge for years so no excuse to not know them. Husband & I often check for new rules or changes so why doesn’t everyone else?

A good friend of mine was booked for something similar. Her back driver's side tyre ran over a couple of inches of double unbroken lines at a t-intersection resulting in a "life threatening" situation. She appealed and the fine was waived due to the policeman involved being a "no show". Talk about petty!

Strangely enough, I was booked driving the same car (borrowed from my friend) when I was pulled over for having an "obscured numberplate" thanks to the tow ball. By obscured I mean obscuring the small diamond between the three letters and the three numbers. When explained to me, the copper said that a speed camera wouldn't be able to photograph the numberplate properly. Well, my response wasn't nice. "Get f**ked! So where is the nearest speed camera? F**king Heathcote?" Trouble was Heathcote was 150 kms away from Callala on NSW's South Coast. I never paid the $88 something fine.

In Britain, some roundabouts in a hamlets back streets are so small they are painted on the road.
If you drive a vehicle with a turning circle greater than 6 metres, you have no option but to drive over the painted lines, without penalty.
Australia can't understand that because dollars are involved for the taking, Thanks "Gov".

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Driving is a daily necessity for many Australians, but are you aware of all the rules of the road?

A recent incident involving a Lismore woman, Christa Hagan, has highlighted a little-known traffic law that could see you slapped with a hefty fine and demerit points.

Hagan was driving down Invercauld Rd when she was pulled over by a police officer on a motorbike. To her surprise, she was fined $302 for driving over what she described as 'the smallest roundabout I’ve ever seen'.

'There were no cars behind me, coming towards me or coming from the side road I turned into,' she said. 'I definitely didn’t see the cop wherever he was hiding.'

View attachment 37582
A woman was caught off-guard when she was fined a hefty sum for driving over a roundabout in NSW. Image: Pexels

Hagan was unaware that her action was illegal. According to NSW law, motorists 'must drive to the left of the central traffic island in the roundabout'.

The only exception is for large vehicles that cannot manoeuvre around the roundabout, in which case they are required to go over the left side of the roundabout rather than straight in the middle.

This rule is not unique to NSW. Other Australian states have similar laws, with penalties varying from state to state.

South Australians face a $499 fine and three demerit points for breaking this rule, while Victorians could be forced to pay $192 with one demerit point.

Queenslanders face a lesser fine of $92 but will also receive two demerit points.

In the ACT, the fine is $400, and in Western Australia, drivers would pay a $150 fine and receive three demerit points.

Hagan shared her story on social media, sparking a debate about the legality and practicality of the rule.

‘In a big 4wd or long ute it’s nearly impossible not to drive up on that roundabout. Most people go straight over the top and don’t even try to use the lane. Not to incriminate myself, but I’ve probably done it once or twice by accident, of course,’ one person shared.

‘It’s a roundabout. not a roundover. If everyone else can go around it, why can’t you? Don’t be lazy,’ another person expressed.

Many sympathised with Hagan, pointing out that the small size of some roundabouts made it difficult to avoid driving over them.

'I always clip the edge of that roundabout. If you can actually call it that, it’s a black plastic mound. First one like that I have ever seen!' one woman commented.

‘So many people do that...I know some vehicles can’t even make the turning circle of that roundabout without going over it at some point. I’ve seen that cop there so many times now, just waiting for that to happen!’ another wrote.

Hagan confirmed that she would be contesting the fine due to the roundabout’s size.

Driving laws are in place to ensure the safety of all road users. However, some rules may not be as well-known as others, leading to unintentional violations and fines.

This is why it's crucial to familiarise yourself with the road rules in your state or territory, especially those that may seem obscure or unusual.

Remember, staying informed can help you avoid unnecessary fines and keep our roads safer for everyone.

Key Takeaways

• A woman in Lismore, NSW, was handed a $302 fine and two demerit points for driving over a small roundabout.
  • She was unaware it was illegal and has issued a warning to others about this little-known rule.
  • Different Australian states impose varying fines and demerit points for breaking this rule.
  • Ms Hagan intends to contest the fine, stating she was unable to navigate the roundabout without going over it due to its small size.

Have you ever been fined for unintentionally violating a little-known traffic rule? Share your experiences in the comments below.
It is not difficult to become aware of NSW Road and Traffic Rules and Regulations. The complainant in this matter ought reasonably to have been aware that driving (or riding) over the traffic island is prohibited to any driver except bus drivers, some heavy vehicle drivers and emergency vehicle drivers. On her report she was not amongst that group. I cannot feel any sympathy with her. Indeed I am irritated by the report that she now intends to take up Traffic Court time and waste its running costs by offering such a paltry explanation that the traffic island was small. I hope that the magistrate "gives her case the boot".

Reactions: PattiB and Ricki
It is not difficult to become aware of NSW Road and Traffic Rules and Regulations. The complainant in this matter ought reasonably to have been aware that driving (or riding) over the traffic island is prohibited to any driver except bus drivers, some heavy vehicle drivers and emergency vehicle drivers. On her report she was not amongst that group. I cannot feel any sympathy with her. Indeed I am irritated by the report that she now intends to take up Traffic Court time and waste its running costs by offering such a paltry explanation that the traffic island was small. I hope that the magistrate "gives her case the boot".
I though a bigger roundabout would have been harder to negotiate.... Umm??

A good friend of mine was booked for something similar. Her back driver's side tyre ran over a couple of inches of double unbroken lines at a t-intersection resulting in a "life threatening" situation. She appealed and the fine was waived due to the policeman involved being a "no show". Talk about petty!

Strangely enough, I was booked driving the same car (borrowed from my friend) when I was pulled over for having an "obscured numberplate" thanks to the tow ball. By obscured I mean obscuring the small diamond between the three letters and the three numbers. When explained to me, the copper said that a speed camera wouldn't be able to photograph the numberplate properly. Well, my response wasn't nice. "Get f**ked! So where is the nearest speed camera? F**king Heathcote?" Trouble was Heathcote was 150 kms away from Callala on NSW's South Coast. I never paid the $88 something fine.
Ford XC station wagon {farmers pack} factory fitted towbar ADR compliant.
Was pulled over by Smart Arsed Cop, and told "car is defected because of towbar", I replied "it's a genuine factory fitted towbar by FOMOCO".
He then set about looking for a defect on any other bits, tyres lights exhaust etc etc.
Found zero, then told Me to remove tow ball when I get home!
To which I told him "No way", he then threatened Me with failing to comply with a reasonable order.
I replied, "let's take this higher up", to which he said, "you have been told" and then drove off.
I reported to Elizabeth Police station and was told the matter has been resolved ...
The towbar was never removed, the car was factory ordered farmers pack = 5 speed, 2-way tailgate, upgraded suspension, towbar. All Ford approved and ADR compliant.
I sold the XC 5 years later still with towbar, and never anymore police problems.

Was pulled over by Smart Arsed Cop, and told "car is defected because of towbar", I replied "it's a genuine factory fitted towbar by FOMOCO".
He then set about looking for a defect on any other bits, tyres lights exhaust etc etc.
To which I told him "No way", he then threatened Me with failing to comply with a reasonable order.
I replied, "let's take this higher up", to which he said, "you have been told" and then drove off.
I reported to Elizabeth Police station and was told the matter has been resolved ...
The towbar was never removed, the car was factory ordered farmers pack = 5 speed, 2-way tailgate, upgraded suspension, towbar. All Ford approved and ADR compliant.
I sold the XC 5 years later still with towbar, and never anymore police problems.
I like your style!

I'm guessing that was in the northern suburbs of Adelaide. Been there twice and the porcine presence is overkill but that was over 10 years ago. Of course, blame it on the housos and socio-economically disadvantaged.

View attachment 37582

Key Takeaways

No, never been booked but I wish they would book a few more.
Round abouts reduce the contact points from 8 to 4 and are meant to slow down the traffic at those four points of possible impact . It's not rocket science folks

With power steering in todays cars, why do you need to drive over these things. And corner cutting makes me crazy. Drive a metre further on and turn in your own lane. That's why the lines are there. Not hard people.

Reactions: PattiB
Roundabouts were supposed to be large and round to be used for for easy access to enter and exit several joining roads, (many examples in a well planned road system in Canberra) our stupid road builders are using them incorrectly to hamper the through flow of traffic.

I have a roundabout just up the road from me. It is used to slow the traffic & allow cars to enter & leave an older peoples home estate. The road has a rise so the idiots use it as a race track. During the night the clowns fly over the top of it instead of going around even though the roundabout is built up.

Roundabouts were supposed to be large and round to be used for for easy access to enter and exit several joining roads, (many examples in a well planned road system in Canberra) our stupid road builders are using them incorrectly to hamper the through flow of traffic.
Roundabouts (or islands) were meant to be how there were (are) designed, Mani. It is no use second guessing the specifications prepared by the road engineers for the work. Sometimes road design is a factor used to control traffic flow.

She stated that she didn't even see the Policeman. Why is that a problem?

Was she entering the roundabout too fast to correctly steer around the kerbing?

In a situation like this when entering a roundabout of this size, stay to the left a bit, drive slower & avoid this problem. Problem solved & no fine either.

A big concrete barrier will teach'em how to drive

• Haha