Woman discovers filthy secret about her dishwasher and offers trick for guaranteed clean!

We're all familiar with the chore of washing dirty dishes—and how long and often time-consuming it can sometimes be.

But what if the reason your dishes weren't coming out clean and sparkling could actually have something to do with your dishwasher itself?

This was the shocking finding of one woman who constantly found her dishes coated in white residue—no matter how many cycles she ran through.

She decided to investigate the issue and, much to her horror, discovered a rather alarming secret.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 135431.png
A dirty filter of a dishwasher machine can hinder your dishes being clean! Image: TikTok / @ninabean222

'Am I the only one who never knew we were supposed to be deep cleaning our dishwashers?' she said in the video, before pulling out the filter and discovering it was covered in dirt and grime.

'This is what I found,' she continued. 'It was so disgusting, every time I think about the fact that I was washing my dishes in this, it literally makes me gag.'

'I never even knew that this filter was a thing or that we were supposed to be deep cleaning it monthly,' she confessed, adding that she had 'no idea if there were renters before her' who had been using the same dishwasher.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 135527.png
The woman shared some techniques to clean the filter in your dishwasher. Image: TikTok / @ninabean222

She then laid out techniques for cleaning the filter, advising that everyone should clean their dishwasher at least once a month.

'I used this [bicarb soda] and sprinkled it all over the bottom of my dishwasher. I used the distilled white vinegar in a little container up top,' she said.

'And then I set my dishwasher to a 60-minute cycle and let that run,' she explained.

She proceeded to prepare some dishwashing soap and water and informed: 'So for anybody else who didn't know, this is called the filter.'

The woman then held her filter under the water to start washing out the gunk, adding, 'Every dishwasher has one, and there's usually two parts to it.'

She continued: 'I filled up my sink with hot water and dish soap, and then let those [filters] soak in there'.

'Gave it one last rinse, and this is how it came out. It's beautiful,' she said while showing a clean cylinder filter.

'Once everything was put back together, I filled up my dishwasher, put some soap in it, and ran a cycle. Everything came out looking and smelling so clean.'

People joined the conversation, saying they didn’t know how to clean their dishwasher.

One person said: 'I will admit I just cleaned mine for the first time in a year. It was horrid...'

'I've never cleaned that filter before...ever…didn't even know [of] its existence,' another added.

'The fact that I grew up with a dishwasher and my parents never told me you have to clean one,' one said.

Others shared their cleaning suggestions.

'My dad has been a dishwasher and washing machine operator for over 40 years. Put a cup of lemon salt in the dishwasher once a month and run it for 30 [minutes],' one person shared.

Another said: 'Make sure you use a bunch of dish soap next time too, lots of bubbles.'

'My handy man has told me that using any sort of powdery detergent will clog that filter way faster than using liquid,' one expressed.

If you're facing dishwashing issues—and your dishes just aren't coming out sparkling enough—we hope this article helps! Be sure to try out this cleaning trick—it could make all the difference.

You can watch the woman’s full video below:

Key Takeaways

• A woman on social media shared how she discovered the importance of deep cleaning her dishwasher filter.
  • She shared a guide on how to clean the dishwasher using bicarb soda and distilled white vinegar.
  • The video was widely viewed, with many followers admitting they weren't aware of the need to regularly deep clean their dishwasher filters.
  • Some viewers also gave their cleaning suggestions, such as using lemon salt or liquid detergent instead of powdery ones to prevent clogging the filter.

What do you think of this story? Do you have other tips for cleaning the dishwasher machine? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I cannot believe people didn’t know about the filter and cleaning it in a dishwasher, and monthly! I do mine at least once a week, same with my vacume cleaner filters , unbelievable! 🤢

Reactions: magpie1