Woman calls it quits with her bank after being denied access to her own funds: 'What's the point of a bank?'

We often playfully joke about banks having complete control over our hard-earned cash, but the idea of them actually denying us access to our own funds? Unthinkable, right? Well, brace yourself for a real-life nightmare experienced by a woman from Brisbane.

Meet Taryn Compton, a Brisbane resident who found herself caught in the middle of a home renovation project and in need of a hefty sum of $3500.

Remember the good old days when you could stroll into a bank branch, flash your trusty ID to the friendly bank teller, and walk out with your own money, no questions asked? Ah, those were simpler times indeed, free from the technological fuss and hassle.

But alas, it seems like those simpler times are slipping away faster than we realise. Society is hurtling forward, embracing a cashless future, taking leap after leap away from the days of tangible currency.

Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 11.16.31 AM.png
The customer couldn't understand why she could not access her own money. Credit: Shutterstock.

Taryn encountered a little hiccup when she realised she had forgotten to bring her ATM card along—a common mistake in this era of overwhelming digitalisation that has almost overshadowed physical banking tools. So, she had to resort to making her withdrawal in person at the bank branch.

Back in the good old days, this wouldn't have been such a big deal. But to her surprise, when Taryn approached the teller, she was informed that their branch was completely cashless. Yes, you read that correctly—a bank branch without any cash!

'She told me they don't have cash at the bank to give people anymore,' Taryn recalled her experience on The Today Show.

Eager to assist, the teller graciously walked Taryn through the process of installing a cashless app on her phone instead, which would allow her to withdraw money from the ATM conveniently located outside the bank. However, despite their best efforts, the app, unfortunately, failed to cooperate.

As a result, Taryn found herself in quite a predicament, stranded without access to the funds she desperately needed.

Taryn mentioned that the entire situation left her pondering Australia's banking system as a whole. After all, if you can't even get hold of your own money, it raises some serious doubts, doesn't it?

'The teller told me that if I wanted to get my cash out if I needed it that day, to transfer it to another bank and try somewhere else, so that's what I did,' she expressed. 'If you can't get your own money from a branch, what's the point of a bank?'

This incident might seem like a one-off, but it's a sign that our banking system is rapidly moving towards a digital, cashless future.

Today reached out to ANZ for comments, to which a spokesperson responded, 'At ANZ, we have seen in-branch transactions fall 50 per cent over the past five years, with just one per cent of transactions now done over the counter and 96 per cent conducted digitally.'

'Some ANZ branches no longer handle cash at the counter but continue to have cash available through our on-site Smart ATMs.'

Key Takeaways

• A Brisbane woman decided to close her account with ANZ bank after a teller told her she couldn't withdraw her own cash directly from the counter.
  • The situation arose when the woman didn't have her ATM card and was told that the local branch was cashless.
  • The bank's teller allegedly told the woman that she could only withdraw money from the ATM outside the branch.
  • ANZ responded to the incident by saying due to a fall in in-branch transactions and an increase in digital transactions, some branches have gone cashless but have cash available through on-site Smart ATMs.

Such a situation could really shake us up, especially if we're not exactly tech-savvy or comfortable navigating the world of digital finance. It's enough to make us question the very essence of banking and its relevance in this increasingly digital era.

It's always a good idea to stay informed and be aware of your bank's policies, especially regarding their digitalisation efforts and how these changes might impact you. And remember, don't hesitate to speak up if you have any concerns.

What do you think about this story, folks? Have any of you ever encountered a similar situation where digital banking turned out to be more of a hassle than a convenience? Share your experiences with us in the comments!

Sponsored
I feel your pain. I cannot use my phone to send photos or anything much else. I can send a msg (took me a while to learn how to do that) but not much else. My mobile phone is just that - a phone - not a mobile computer.
There needs to be a consumer advocacy group funded by the corporations or Consumer and Business Services that helps people with such matters. It isn't fair on a lot of levels as it is now. Maybe I will start one.

Reactions: Pommyoz
The woman forgot her bankcard, so she blames the bank. She could have driven back home to collect it and there would have been no fuss.
She couldn't have gotten that amount from an ATM

Reactions: Penny4
'At ANZ, we have seen in-branch transactions fall 50 per cent over the past five years, with just one per cent of transactions now done over the counter and 96 per cent conducted digitally.' Well Der!!! what do they (and the other banks) expect when they have removed even the basic banking services like DISPENSING cash? The banks have forced people into the digital financial world and then use lack of use for previous services as their excise to remove them altogether.

In this case, why hasn't the ANZ close the shopfront and sent all staff home to work? There is no reason the work cannot be done remotely so save the rent and spend it on more remote working staff.

And just a reminder that Commonwealth Bank was the latest to have an electronic breakdown which effective stopped all their customer accessing their own money whether physically or from a hole-in-the-wall! Electronic banking is wonderful until it isn't. Then CASH REIGNS SUPREME. 🙄 🤫

An ANZ Bank branch informed me that I could not make a cash deposit via the teller because my deposit of $300 was too small a transaction.

I asked for my account to be closed and was then informed I'd have to make an appointment 😕.

I went home and the next day tried to make the appointment using ANZ's online system. When I got to the end of the process I got hung up on. Nevertheless, I tried two more times but with no positive result.

I then rang ANZ's 13 number, an ANZ spokesperson provided the branch direct telephone number.

I rang the number. It was 10.30am and a recording informed that I'd rung outside of business hours (really)?

I left a message for a call back telling ANZ that 10.30am was inside business hours.

I then rang the 13 number again and asked the ANZ representative to make the appointment because the branch staff had not answered the phone.

He made the appointment for the next day at 11am. The next day at 9.30am, a branch staff member called me back to see if she could assist.

I said that I'd called within business hours but was met with the 'out of hours message service' and confirmed I was on my way to attend an 11am appointment made by the 1300 ANZ rep.

At the branch, I was served by a human (at last) who informed that she could not offer any comfort re to my in branch experience and had no idea why the branch had it's 'out of hours' message turned on at 10.30am.

Bottom line, I was successful in closing my account and am finally ANZ free 😁.

I feel that others should vote on ANZ Customer service by opting out of an organisation that clearly offers no Customer service these days.

The only thing ANZ will understand is customers acting by moving their money elsewhere because complaining and doing nothing won't solve the problem.

Last edited:
About 8 years ago my sister tried to pay her seasonal workers wages. The banks lines were down and would be out for 3 days. My sister had words with the manager ( would have loved to be a fly on the wall). End result- the secretary had to drive 70 kms in each direction, going to different banks to get cash, then make up all their wages into envelopes. It arrived about an hour before they knocked off.

All this makes you want to cry sometimes. Try making a claim on insurance. Everything is done on the phone. If you don't know how to send photos and other information well bad luck. Maybe there should be classes for older people on how to use their phones.
There are classes. My local community house holds free or low cost classes for seniors to learn to use their mobile phones.

Bloody r
We often playfully joke about banks having complete control over our hard-earned cash, but the idea of them actually denying us access to our own funds? Unthinkable, right? Well, brace yourself for a real-life nightmare experienced by a woman from Brisbane.

Meet Taryn Compton, a Brisbane resident who found herself caught in the middle of a home renovation project and in need of a hefty sum of $3500.

Remember the good old days when you could stroll into a bank branch, flash your trusty ID to the friendly bank teller, and walk out with your own money, no questions asked? Ah, those were simpler times indeed, free from the technological fuss and hassle.

But alas, it seems like those simpler times are slipping away faster than we realise. Society is hurtling forward, embracing a cashless future, taking leap after leap away from the days of tangible currency.

View attachment 24035
The customer couldn't understand why she could not access her own money. Credit: Shutterstock.

Taryn encountered a little hiccup when she realised she had forgotten to bring her ATM card along—a common mistake in this era of overwhelming digitalisation that has almost overshadowed physical banking tools. So, she had to resort to making her withdrawal in person at the bank branch.

Back in the good old days, this wouldn't have been such a big deal. But to her surprise, when Taryn approached the teller, she was informed that their branch was completely cashless. Yes, you read that correctly—a bank branch without any cash!

'She told me they don't have cash at the bank to give people anymore,' Taryn recalled her experience on The Today Show.

Eager to assist, the teller graciously walked Taryn through the process of installing a cashless app on her phone instead, which would allow her to withdraw money from the ATM conveniently located outside the bank. However, despite their best efforts, the app, unfortunately, failed to cooperate.

As a result, Taryn found herself in quite a predicament, stranded without access to the funds she desperately needed.

Taryn mentioned that the entire situation left her pondering Australia's banking system as a whole. After all, if you can't even get hold of your own money, it raises some serious doubts, doesn't it?

'The teller told me that if I wanted to get my cash out if I needed it that day, to transfer it to another bank and try somewhere else, so that's what I did,' she expressed. 'If you can't get your own money from a branch, what's the point of a bank?'

This incident might seem like a one-off, but it's a sign that our banking system is rapidly moving towards a digital, cashless future.

Today reached out to ANZ for comments, to which a spokesperson responded, 'At ANZ, we have seen in-branch transactions fall 50 per cent over the past five years, with just one per cent of transactions now done over the counter and 96 per cent conducted digitally.'

'Some ANZ branches no longer handle cash at the counter but continue to have cash available through our on-site Smart ATMs.'

Key Takeaways

• A Brisbane woman decided to close her account with ANZ bank after a teller told her she couldn't withdraw her own cash directly from the counter.
  • The situation arose when the woman didn't have her ATM card and was told that the local branch was cashless.
  • The bank's teller allegedly told the woman that she could only withdraw money from the ATM outside the branch.
  • ANZ responded to the incident by saying due to a fall in in-branch transactions and an increase in digital transactions, some branches have gone cashless but have cash available through on-site Smart ATMs.

Such a situation could really shake us up, especially if we're not exactly tech-savvy or comfortable navigating the world of digital finance. It's enough to make us question the very essence of banking and its relevance in this increasingly digital era.

It's always a good idea to stay informed and be aware of your bank's policies, especially regarding their digitalisation efforts and how these changes might impact you. And remember, don't hesitate to speak up if you have any concerns.

What do you think about this story, folks? Have any of you ever encountered a similar situation where digital banking turned out to be more of a hassle than a convenience? Share your experiences with us in the comments!
Bloody ridiculous! Those highly paid bank CEO's should be sacked and replaced with community conscience people and get back to being a proper bank.

Reactions: Rainy
Might be better off having one of these Billionaire tycoons open up an independent banking corporation that offers everything we really need?

The woman forgot her bankcard, so she blames the bank. She could have driven back home to collect it and there would have been no fuss.
That is not the point. The point is that the banks are becoming increasingly more demanding before handing over our OWN money. I worked for the little I have and if I want my money I do not expect to be put through the 3rd degree by someone at the bank. If I want any or all of my money it is my business. What is the problem with presenting a drivers licence or some other form of ID? And why the no cash transactions at a bank - THAT is their purpose. The banks are demanding to know what you are going to spend your money on, personal account, personal money, they did not make the deposits I DID, none of their business. Sorry I get really fired up at what is rapidly descending into a tyrannical digital society where those at the top decide what we at the bottom can/can't do

All this makes you want to cry sometimes. Try making a claim on insurance. Everything is done on the phone. If you don't know how to send photos and other information well bad luck. Maybe there should be classes for older people on how to use their phones.
Marj52, our local library gives classes on how to use your mobile phone, tablet or computer. So does our local Living and Learning Centre.

Why would you pay that much CASH to someone doing renovations for you? Sounds dodgy to me.
Absolutely dodgy, part of the shadow economy I would say.

With several properties, I frequently pay tradies for jobs - all of those transactions are done on-line and with OSKO transfer available, I know the money is in the tradie's account as soon as I hit the button.

View attachment 24035

Key Takeaways

It's a bank they rule the world because we have allowed them to. We have also allowed them to loan money they don't have, so and when they get into trouble we the taxpayer guarantee they survive.

View attachment 24035

Key Takeaways

I call up my bank 4weeks ago for a bank statement to be sent out, (needed it for housing) as I couldn’t download it myself, I just didn’t understand how. Very nice girl on the phone and told me she’d put it in the mail that day, (mind you it was urgent housing don’t give you a lot of time) anyhow 3weeks later I was still waiting and had to go into bank myself and the teller said you know you can download these yourself I turned around and said if you knew how to and have a printer!!! Hahaha anyhow I’m still waiting for my bank statements they originally sent me……..or did they?

View attachment 24035

Key Takeaways

That’s so ridiculous to be so reliable on stupid apps and withdrawal cards which would be a bonanza for scammers and of course the bank would deny any responsibility

Recently I needed $10 for a purchase at the market and only had a $50 note. Went into my bank and asked if they could change it for me. The teller told me she wasn't allowed to do that!! I couldn't believe it and asked what was the point of being open if you can't help a customer. Reluctantly she eventually did give me change but also added "Don't expect me to do it again". I wasn't impressed.
I'd have told them where to stick it and changed banks right then and there!

That is not the point. The point is that the banks are becoming increasingly more demanding before handing over our OWN money. I worked for the little I have and if I want my money I do not expect to be put through the 3rd degree by someone at the bank. If I want any or all of my money it is my business. What is the problem with presenting a drivers licence or some other form of ID? And why the no cash transactions at a bank - THAT is their purpose. The banks are demanding to know what you are going to spend your money on, personal account, personal money, they did not make the deposits I DID, none of their business. Sorry I get really fired up at what is rapidly descending into a tyrannical digital society where those at the top decide what we at the bottom can/can't do
Sorry to hear you get the 3rd degree. I don't seem to have any issue, whenever the rare time I personally walk through my bank doors. I do still stand by my comment, as it would be easier to go back home and get the stupid bank card, if I forgot it. Why? Because it makes life easier for myself, and for the bank's processing. A while ago, I had to venture into the bank and noticed a difference, as the staff were certainly streamlined. Banks are getting dictated by customers, as customers are rapidly changing to online banking. Customers are able to get access to all forms, and everything on the banking website, when they log-in. I know what you mean though, as my elderly mother won't use online banking, as it's too daunting.

This article was reported by you a few days ago. This woman surely was not intending to withdraw that amount of money from an atm machine surely?
When I have needed a large amount of cash I always have asked the bank a day before.

View attachment 24035

Key Takeaways

I know that this is going to get much worse. I have a friend who has taken all her money out of the bank and won't put money in it again. Her age pension gets taken out as soon as she gets it.