Woman calls it quits with her bank after being denied access to her own funds: 'What's the point of a bank?'

We often playfully joke about banks having complete control over our hard-earned cash, but the idea of them actually denying us access to our own funds? Unthinkable, right? Well, brace yourself for a real-life nightmare experienced by a woman from Brisbane.

Meet Taryn Compton, a Brisbane resident who found herself caught in the middle of a home renovation project and in need of a hefty sum of $3500.

Remember the good old days when you could stroll into a bank branch, flash your trusty ID to the friendly bank teller, and walk out with your own money, no questions asked? Ah, those were simpler times indeed, free from the technological fuss and hassle.

But alas, it seems like those simpler times are slipping away faster than we realise. Society is hurtling forward, embracing a cashless future, taking leap after leap away from the days of tangible currency.

Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 11.16.31 AM.png
The customer couldn't understand why she could not access her own money. Credit: Shutterstock.

Taryn encountered a little hiccup when she realised she had forgotten to bring her ATM card along—a common mistake in this era of overwhelming digitalisation that has almost overshadowed physical banking tools. So, she had to resort to making her withdrawal in person at the bank branch.

Back in the good old days, this wouldn't have been such a big deal. But to her surprise, when Taryn approached the teller, she was informed that their branch was completely cashless. Yes, you read that correctly—a bank branch without any cash!

'She told me they don't have cash at the bank to give people anymore,' Taryn recalled her experience on The Today Show.

Eager to assist, the teller graciously walked Taryn through the process of installing a cashless app on her phone instead, which would allow her to withdraw money from the ATM conveniently located outside the bank. However, despite their best efforts, the app, unfortunately, failed to cooperate.

As a result, Taryn found herself in quite a predicament, stranded without access to the funds she desperately needed.

Taryn mentioned that the entire situation left her pondering Australia's banking system as a whole. After all, if you can't even get hold of your own money, it raises some serious doubts, doesn't it?

'The teller told me that if I wanted to get my cash out if I needed it that day, to transfer it to another bank and try somewhere else, so that's what I did,' she expressed. 'If you can't get your own money from a branch, what's the point of a bank?'

This incident might seem like a one-off, but it's a sign that our banking system is rapidly moving towards a digital, cashless future.

Today reached out to ANZ for comments, to which a spokesperson responded, 'At ANZ, we have seen in-branch transactions fall 50 per cent over the past five years, with just one per cent of transactions now done over the counter and 96 per cent conducted digitally.'

'Some ANZ branches no longer handle cash at the counter but continue to have cash available through our on-site Smart ATMs.'

Key Takeaways

• A Brisbane woman decided to close her account with ANZ bank after a teller told her she couldn't withdraw her own cash directly from the counter.
  • The situation arose when the woman didn't have her ATM card and was told that the local branch was cashless.
  • The bank's teller allegedly told the woman that she could only withdraw money from the ATM outside the branch.
  • ANZ responded to the incident by saying due to a fall in in-branch transactions and an increase in digital transactions, some branches have gone cashless but have cash available through on-site Smart ATMs.

Such a situation could really shake us up, especially if we're not exactly tech-savvy or comfortable navigating the world of digital finance. It's enough to make us question the very essence of banking and its relevance in this increasingly digital era.

It's always a good idea to stay informed and be aware of your bank's policies, especially regarding their digitalisation efforts and how these changes might impact you. And remember, don't hesitate to speak up if you have any concerns.

What do you think about this story, folks? Have any of you ever encountered a similar situation where digital banking turned out to be more of a hassle than a convenience? Share your experiences with us in the comments!

Sponsored
I am in a smaller bank not one of the big 4. They are great. As far as my insurance goes I am thinking of changing from Westpac once my claim has been settled.

My ANZ bank closed, also the atm. A business person needed a deposit of $13,000 by a certain time. Had to travel half hour to next ANZ, met with “did you order this amount, we don’t keep large amounts of money on the premises”. I said . You are a bank, with a safe surely. She said it’s not allowed! After a discussion of the situation, she relented, and I managed to secure the deal. You don’t visit a butchers to buy a car part, you don’t ask a hairdresser for a loan, you don’t ask a supermarket to cut your hair, so why don’t banks keep money in a safe?

Reactions: Helenmac and Marj53
Hello everyone. Taryn I am very sorry & allarmed what happened to you in the ANZ Bank. Banks are Financial institutions. They give you a range of choices to access your money, cash should be an essential choice.
Come on ANZ bring back cash to your cashless branches. What you are doing is taking rights away from your customers. If you want to keep turning your branches into cashless, You have no right to call yourself Bank. Shame on you ANZ. What would the goverment do? I'm sure there has to be some legal loop hole. Angry Angry Angry at this Bank. Disgracefull. Bye Everyone. Be kind to yourself.

We often playfully joke about banks having complete control over our hard-earned cash, but the idea of them actually denying us access to our own funds? Unthinkable, right? Well, brace yourself for a real-life nightmare experienced by a woman from Brisbane.

Meet Taryn Compton, a Brisbane resident who found herself caught in the middle of a home renovation project and in need of a hefty sum of $3500.

Remember the good old days when you could stroll into a bank branch, flash your trusty ID to the friendly bank teller, and walk out with your own money, no questions asked? Ah, those were simpler times indeed, free from the technological fuss and hassle.

But alas, it seems like those simpler times are slipping away faster than we realise. Society is hurtling forward, embracing a cashless future, taking leap after leap away from the days of tangible currency.

View attachment 24035
The customer couldn't understand why she could not access her own money. Credit: Shutterstock.

Taryn encountered a little hiccup when she realised she had forgotten to bring her ATM card along—a common mistake in this era of overwhelming digitalisation that has almost overshadowed physical banking tools. So, she had to resort to making her withdrawal in person at the bank branch.

Back in the good old days, this wouldn't have been such a big deal. But to her surprise, when Taryn approached the teller, she was informed that their branch was completely cashless. Yes, you read that correctly—a bank branch without any cash!

'She told me they don't have cash at the bank to give people anymore,' Taryn recalled her experience on The Today Show.

Eager to assist, the teller graciously walked Taryn through the process of installing a cashless app on her phone instead, which would allow her to withdraw money from the ATM conveniently located outside the bank. However, despite their best efforts, the app, unfortunately, failed to cooperate.

As a result, Taryn found herself in quite a predicament, stranded without access to the funds she desperately needed.

Taryn mentioned that the entire situation left her pondering Australia's banking system as a whole. After all, if you can't even get hold of your own money, it raises some serious doubts, doesn't it?

'The teller told me that if I wanted to get my cash out if I needed it that day, to transfer it to another bank and try somewhere else, so that's what I did,' she expressed. 'If you can't get your own money from a branch, what's the point of a bank?'

This incident might seem like a one-off, but it's a sign that our banking system is rapidly moving towards a digital, cashless future.

Today reached out to ANZ for comments, to which a spokesperson responded, 'At ANZ, we have seen in-branch transactions fall 50 per cent over the past five years, with just one per cent of transactions now done over the counter and 96 per cent conducted digitally.'

'Some ANZ branches no longer handle cash at the counter but continue to have cash available through our on-site Smart ATMs.'

Key Takeaways

• A Brisbane woman decided to close her account with ANZ bank after a teller told her she couldn't withdraw her own cash directly from the counter.
  • The situation arose when the woman didn't have her ATM card and was told that the local branch was cashless.
  • The bank's teller allegedly told the woman that she could only withdraw money from the ATM outside the branch.
  • ANZ responded to the incident by saying due to a fall in in-branch transactions and an increase in digital transactions, some branches have gone cashless but have cash available through on-site Smart ATMs.

Such a situation could really shake us up, especially if we're not exactly tech-savvy or comfortable navigating the world of digital finance. It's enough to make us question the very essence of banking and its relevance in this increasingly digital era.

It's always a good idea to stay informed and be aware of your bank's policies, especially regarding their digitalisation efforts and how these changes might impact you. And remember, don't hesitate to speak up if you have any concerns.

What do you think about this story, folks? Have any of you ever encountered a similar situation where digital banking turned out to be more of a hassle than a convenience? Share your experiences with us in the comments!
Sorry guys, its me again. The ANZ Bank are about as helpful using a paperbag to catch water. 3AW was on about this yesterday. Whats going on is easy. This is no longer a democratic society, its totally a dictatorship as we are being told that we must use card only. This is so they can track us and everything we do. NONE of the banks are able to safe guard our data and lets face it, none of them have a system that can work all day/everyday without fault. Last week people were left with not being able to pay for groceries and/or fuel because the system was down. Lets take a closer look at the ANZ bank. The closing of branches saves them millions. No more staff or staff entitlements, no more lease payments and expenses to run and open the branch. Our mortgage is so close being gone its not worth the hassle of changing but I can barely wait. And then theres the idea of no more cheques - well can some one explain to me why the ANZ Bank sent a cheque to an customer for the balance of a closed account?? Stupid Stupid Stupid. Oh maybe they are in for a name change, SSS Bank, that works. There is so much more to this conversation, old/disabled/vulnerable people being forced out onto the street to withdraw money. Not good enough.

We are currently trying to get my husband a debit card on our joint account. It's proving to be bigger than Ben Hur. We have all the necessaries to prove his ID but because we can't remember where we opened the account (some 40 odd years ago), it could be one of two branches, they say we have to go into a branch. Our nearest branch (because of closures) is now over 100kms away. Inconvenient or what, that's Friday taken care of. :mad:

The woman forgot her bankcard, so she blames the bank. She could have driven back home to collect it and there would have been no fuss.
I agree. If the Bank had wrongly handed her money to someone else she would have been furious. We expect Banks to compensate us if scammed, so should adhere to their attempts to prevent fraud. However I do dislike how we are supposed to do everything online nowadays. 🙁

I'm surprised she even found a branch open. They are closing down all around where I live. Wonder what these tellers do all day if they cant give out money. I took a damaged note to the bank and they refused to exchange it because it was damaged. I thought that was what they also did, take damaged currency out of circulation. Silly me.

Reactions: Rainy and Marj53
All this makes you want to cry sometimes. Try making a claim on insurance. Everything is done on the phone. If you don't know how to send photos and other information well bad luck. Maybe there should be classes for older people on how to use their phones.
I feel your pain. I cannot use my phone to send photos or anything much else. I can send a msg (took me a while to learn how to do that) but not much else. My mobile phone is just that - a phone - not a mobile computer.

Reactions: Pommyoz and Marj53

View attachment 24035

Key Takeaways

been to carins jus a bcouple of weeks ag could not use my GO card on buses must use cash

Reactions: Marj53
All banks if you want to get money over the counter you ring the bank the day before and they will have the money there for you

Reactions: mylittletibbies

View attachment 24035

Key Takeaways

Change to the Heritage bank, better than any other place.

View attachment 24035

Key Takeaways

Layer by layer, the 1% are slowly taking away our freedoms. The Citizen's Party are at the front line.

I don't have any relatives and lost most of my friends, so no-one anywhere near by to help me out.
Are there any social services in your area to assist? If you need help finding, tell me your general location/township and I will find the info for you and send via SDC post. People can help. You just need to ask.

Reactions: Marj53
Are there any social services in your area to assist? If you need help finding, tell me your general location/township and I will find the info for you and send via SDC post. People can help. You just need to ask.
There probably are- I will check with the council first and see what community centres there are as well. But we had 4 of my bank in southern suburbs and now it is only one. Twice I've been in and the seniors have been lined up out the door waiting for service. Thankyou for your kind offer. If I can't find anyone I can ask on here as you said any time.

Reactions: Marj53 and Rainy

View attachment 24035

Key Takeaways

Banks 🏦 are there for one thing and one thing only to make profit 📈 it's that simple cash doesn't devalue where a transaction has fee's so every time you do a transaction it cost you and the receiver and the cycle goes on where cash doesn't 💸 change no matter how many hands it goes through food for thought, here cash is best because you control it NOT the bank's controlling you 🤬

FFS what is this world coming too!! I hope she closed all her accounts and went somewhere else! Where is our freedom to, choose??
Unfortunately where else can you go. The big four seem to have a stranglehold on the financial providers circle. Credit unions are great but their branches are also disappearing and ATMs are non existent.
As an age pensioner, your pension has to be paid into a bank account, not negotiable. No bank account no pension. They have got us by the short and curlies and they know it.
We try to fool ourselves that cash is still King but that concept will, I fear, die out with our generation 😐

Reactions: gollywog