Woman breaks silence on tragic mushroom lunch incident that claimed three lives

We recently wrote about a tragic incident that occurred in the quiet town of Leongatha, Victoria. What began as a regular local gathering involving cooking and sharing a meal took an unexpectedly tragic turn.

A family's lives were profoundly impacted when three individuals ingested a poisonous ingredient that was unknowingly present in their meals.

And in a recent update, Erin Patterson, the 48-year-old woman who prepared their food, has finally spoken out.

The incident led to the unfortunate deaths of Erin's former in-laws, Don and Gail Patterson, as well as her sister Heather Wilkinson. All three individuals experienced symptoms consistent with poisoning from death cap mushrooms.

'I didn't do anything. I loved them, and I'm devastated they are gone,' she said.'

Heather's husband, Ian Wilkinson, is currently in critical condition at Melbourne's Austin Hospital due to the same incident. Erin's two children were unaffected, and Erin herself did not experience any adverse effects.

compressed-Screen Shot 2023-08-08 at 12.18.02 PM.jpeg
The woman who may have served friends a lunch containing deadly mushrooms, killing three of them, has broken her silence. Credit: Shutterstock.

The mother of two also expressed her sympathies to the families of the deceased and the community at large, admitting her tragic lack of knowledge about the fatal effects of consuming wild mushrooms.

'I hope [with] every fibre of my being that [Ian] pulls through. I'm so devastated by what's happened…' she continued.

'They were some of the best people I've ever met. Gail was like the mum I didn't have because my mum passed away four years ago; Gail had never been anything but good and kind to me.'

'[Don] and Heather were some of the best people I'd ever met. They never did anything wrong to me. I'm so devastated about what's happened and the loss to the community, to the families, and to my own children. They've lost their grandmother,' she said.

'I'm so sorry that they have lost their lives.'

The police interviewed Ms Patterson, and she was subsequently released. Inspector Thomas mentioned that Ms Patterson has separated from her husband, and even though the police believe their relationship remains friendly, officials have taken the precaution of removing her two children from her care.

'We're working to determine what has gone on, to see if there is any nefarious activity that has occurred or if it was accidental… We have to keep an open mind,' he said, stressing the complicated nature of the incident. While mushrooms are largely speculated to be the cause of the poisoning, Thomas also left some room for other culprits.

'We are presuming at this point it is mushrooms,' he said. 'At this stage, I can say the deaths are really unexplained.'

'What we do know is the four people–three who have passed away–attended a lunch in Leongatha on July 29.'

It's important to note that consuming wild mushrooms can be extremely dangerous. Some types target the liver and can be fatal if not treated immediately. Moreover, they can inflict significant harm before any symptoms become noticeable.

The police were uncertain about categorising the incident as a crime or an accident. However, they mentioned that they were maintaining an 'open mind' regarding the matter.

1691534573575.png

Consuming wild mushrooms can lead to poisoning, often when people mistake toxic mushrooms for safe ones. It's important to note that cooking, boiling, or heating wild mushrooms doesn't eliminate their poisonous properties.

Poisonous wild mushrooms can trigger various symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, diarrhoea, and hallucinations. In severe cases, certain mushrooms can even lead to liver or kidney failure and, in some instances, death.

The onset of illness can occur anywhere from 30 minutes to 24 hours after ingestion, depending on the specific mushroom, the amount consumed, and the individual's overall health.

Distinguishing between edible and poisonous wild mushrooms isn't recommended, either. Given the serious risk of poisoning, it's advisable to avoid eating wild mushrooms altogether.

To minimise risk, it's recommended that you exclusively consume mushrooms purchased from reputable sources like supermarkets or greengrocers.

In case of emergencies, immediately call 000 or the Poisons Information Centre at 131 126.

Key Takeaways

• Erin Patterson, the woman who cooked a meal that resulted in the suspected fatal mushroom poisoning of three people, has tearfully spoken out to the media, proclaiming her innocence.
  • The victims, Don and Gail Patterson and Heather Wilkinson, died from symptoms consistent with death cap mushroom poisoning, while Heather's husband Ian is in critical condition. Ms Patterson is currently under investigation.
  • Homicide Squad Detective Inspector Dean Thomas stated police are treating this as a complex case and are still uncertain whether it's a crime or an accident.

We at the Seniors Discount Club extend our deepest condolences to the affected families and the Leongatha community enduring this tragic loss.

We hope this unfortunate incident serves as a significant reminder to all our members about the necessity of taking additional precautions when using local, natural ingredients in your culinary endeavours. Stay safe, everyone.

What are your thoughts? Feel free to comment below.

Sponsored
Going by today's news , her ex husband got sick every time he was around her. One time he was in a Coma for a few months with a stomach illness that they believed he was poisoned

Reactions: Ezzy
Many suspicious elements here indeed.

I remember reading or seeing on the t.v. that her children did not eat this because they do not like mushrooms & the lady herself did not eat this meal. Why would she cook this meal, invite people around & not eat it herself & why were mushrooms chosen for this meal initially???

We only have her word that her children don't like mushrooms. What about questioning the children on this issue with a responsible adult attending.

Many suspicious elements here indeed.

I remember reading or seeing on the t.v. that her children did not eat this because they do not like mushrooms & the lady herself did not eat this meal. Why would she cook this meal, invite people around & not eat it herself & why were mushrooms chosen for this meal initially???

We only have her word that her children don't like mushrooms. What about questioning the children on this issue with a responsible adult attending.
Hello Ezzy hiw have you been ?

I think this lady is in alot of trouble
I also think she has made herself look guilty by changing her story. She said she purchased them from the local store, but she didn't.
Her ex hubby was sick last year and in hospital with symptoms of poisoning

Why would you cook a meal that neither you or your kids eat .

Nothing adds up or should I say too much is adding up

Hi Suzanne rose. Good to hear from you. I am doing alright, thankyou for asking. How are you & hubby?

I agree entirely with everything you stated & have said some of these things too. If you are going to lie about something you need to remember what you said before or you drop yourself in it like she has.
As you said earlier, have to wonder why her children were taken away. Only thing that comes to mind is that authorities fear for their welfare, that she may be suicidal & take their lives before taking her own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suzanne rose
I agree it's not for us to judge . Just look at the Lindy Chambelin case
Oh this is completely different to Lindy Chamberlain, I always said she was innocent. But with this case unfortunately the evidence is pointing to her guilt including that her ex was in a coma last year with what looked like poisoning after been around her

Madam, You are making some dangerous assumptions. It is my understanding that removing children in situations like this is the norm and should not be considered as any inference of guilt. Also, I have not read anything that suggests that the husband's illness and it's symptoms bore any similarities to eating something poisonous. Alarmist Press headlines stated his illness was "Mysterious". There was nothing in any of these articles to support this claim. A woman is grieving the loss of dear friends, the removal of her children and enduring the harassment of the press. Her children are grieving the loss of their grandparents, the trauma of being removed from their home and their normal day to day life for an unknown time and that their Mother is under investigation. I'm thinking that this incident is probably nothing more than a tragic accident. We will have to wait and see.
It's the norm to remove children!!! I don't think so 🤔 where did you hear this ?

It has come out that her hubby was in a coma for 13 weeks the day after being at hers.
He now believes she poisoned him and his family

The proof is accumulating fast

It's not a public hanging.

No matter what people are saying , it will be based on evidence not what people think .

We live in a country of freedom of speech and IT IS OK TO DISCUSS ISSUES LIKE THIS AND HAVE AN OPION.

If she is guilty then charges will be laid once the police have all the evidence.
They will make sure they do have all the evidence and I'm thinking they will also lay charges for attempting to kill her ex husband.

Come on SDC most of today’s column is a rehash of other days you can do better than this I’m sure.

We recently wrote about a tragic incident that occurred in the quiet town of Leongatha, Victoria. What began as a regular local gathering involving cooking and sharing a meal took an unexpectedly tragic turn.

A family's lives were profoundly impacted when three individuals ingested a poisonous ingredient that was unknowingly present in their meals.

And in a recent update, Erin Patterson, the 48-year-old woman who prepared their food, has finally spoken out.

The incident led to the unfortunate deaths of Erin's former in-laws, Don and Gail Patterson, as well as her sister Heather Wilkinson. All three individuals experienced symptoms consistent with poisoning from death cap mushrooms.

'I didn't do anything. I loved them, and I'm devastated they are gone,' she said.'

Heather's husband, Ian Wilkinson, is currently in critical condition at Melbourne's Austin Hospital due to the same incident. Erin's two children were unaffected, and Erin herself did not experience any adverse effects.

View attachment 26945
The woman who may have served friends a lunch containing deadly mushrooms, killing three of them, has broken her silence. Credit: Shutterstock.

The mother of two also expressed her sympathies to the families of the deceased and the community at large, admitting her tragic lack of knowledge about the fatal effects of consuming wild mushrooms.

'I hope [with] every fibre of my being that [Ian] pulls through. I'm so devastated by what's happened…' she continued.

'They were some of the best people I've ever met. Gail was like the mum I didn't have because my mum passed away four years ago; Gail had never been anything but good and kind to me.'

'[Don] and Heather were some of the best people I'd ever met. They never did anything wrong to me. I'm so devastated about what's happened and the loss to the community, to the families, and to my own children. They've lost their grandmother,' she said.

The police interviewed Ms Patterson, and she was subsequently released. Inspector Thomas mentioned that Ms Patterson has separated from her husband, and even though the police believe their relationship remains friendly, officials have taken the precaution of removing her two children from her care.

'We're working to determine what has gone on, to see if there is any nefarious activity that has occurred or if it was accidental… We have to keep an open mind,' he said, stressing the complicated nature of the incident. While mushrooms are largely speculated to be the cause of the poisoning, Thomas also left some room for other culprits.

'We are presuming at this point it is mushrooms,' he said. 'At this stage, I can say the deaths are really unexplained.'

'What we do know is the four people–three who have passed away–attended a lunch in Leongatha on July 29.'

It's important to note that consuming wild mushrooms can be extremely dangerous. Some types target the liver and can be fatal if not treated immediately. Moreover, they can inflict significant harm before any symptoms become noticeable.

The police were uncertain about categorising the incident as a crime or an accident. However, they mentioned that they were maintaining an 'open mind' regarding the matter.

Consuming wild mushrooms can lead to poisoning, often when people mistake toxic mushrooms for safe ones. It's important to note that cooking, boiling, or heating wild mushrooms doesn't eliminate their poisonous properties.

Poisonous wild mushrooms can trigger various symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, diarrhoea, and hallucinations. In severe cases, certain mushrooms can even lead to liver or kidney failure and, in some instances, death.

The onset of illness can occur anywhere from 30 minutes to 24 hours after ingestion, depending on the specific mushroom, the amount consumed, and the individual's overall health.

Distinguishing between edible and poisonous wild mushrooms isn't recommended, either. Given the serious risk of poisoning, it's advisable to avoid eating wild mushrooms altogether.

To minimise risk, it's recommended that you exclusively consume mushrooms purchased from reputable sources like supermarkets or greengrocers.

In case of emergencies, immediately call 000 or the Poisons Information Centre at 131 126.

Key Takeaways

• Erin Patterson, the woman who cooked a meal that resulted in the suspected fatal mushroom poisoning of three people, has tearfully spoken out to the media, proclaiming her innocence.
  • The victims, Don and Gail Patterson and Heather Wilkinson, died from symptoms consistent with death cap mushroom poisoning, while Heather's husband Ian is in critical condition. Ms Patterson is currently under investigation.
  • Homicide Squad Detective Inspector Dean Thomas stated police are treating this as a complex case and are still uncertain whether it's a crime or an accident.

We at the Seniors Discount Club extend our deepest condolences to the affected families and the Leongatha community enduring this tragic loss.

We hope this unfortunate incident serves as a significant reminder to all our members about the necessity of taking additional precautions when using local, natural ingredients in your culinary endeavours. Stay safe, everyone.

If the police haven’t decided yet how or what they died from why have they taken her children away and accusing her of poisoning them………… just saying
Isn’t it innocent until proven guilty?
This is the first time I’m hearing one was her sister and the man in hospital is the kids father 😥that’s sad if she did do this to think she hated so much to take someone’s life you once loved and grew up with, and your children’ grandparents and father, she must have just snapped 😥

Come on SDC most of today’s column is a rehash of other days you can do better than this I’m sure.
Sundays are a rehash . Everyone knows that.
They take the stories from throughout the week that people seem interested in and repost.
Some are also from afternoon additions that nit everyone gets.

If the police haven’t decided yet how or what they died from why have they taken her children away and accusing her of poisoning them………… just saying
This is the first time I’m hearing one was her sister and the man in hospital is the kids father 😥that’s sad if she did do this to think she hated so much to take someone’s life you once loved and grew up with, and your children’ grandparents and father, she must have just snapped 😥
One of the men in hospital isn't her father, what it is saying is her ex husband was in hospital last year in a coma for 13 weeks with some stomach thing they weren't sure off, now it's pointing to poison also. He ex believes it was poison and by her. Same symptoms.
Because the current 4 people had all ate at hers the night before is was brought the attention to her.

I would say they are collecting all the evidence to make it stick. I'm thinking we will hear of an arrest this week and also a confession

View attachment 26945

Key Takeaways

As a kid of the of the 60s we pick mushrooms for our parents, we use to go to vacate paddocks with our buckets and fill them with mushrooms. We were told not to pick any mushrooms that weren't brown underneath. It was fun for us. Though these days there are lots of variety of mushrooms, but unless it's brown underneath I won't pick it. 🙂

Sundays are a rehash . Everyone knows that.
They take the stories from throughout the week that people seem interested in and repost.
Some are also from afternoon additions that nit everyone gets.
I for one never knew this I have only been a member for a few weeks ,so am still catching up.

I for one never knew this I have only been a member for a few weeks ,so am still catching up.
I also mentioned recently when this subject came up, that the popular stories are reprinted on a Sunday. As l have opted to only receive one notification per day there are stories not previously seen. Welcome to our community.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
One of the men in hospital isn't her father, what it is saying is her ex husband was in hospital last year in a coma for 13 weeks with some stomach thing they weren't sure off, now it's pointing to poison also. He ex believes it was poison and by her. Same symptoms.
Because the current 4 people had all ate at hers the night before is was brought the attention to her.
13weeks???? More like 12 days. What poison(s) do you know of that only affect the small bowel? I suggest it is far more likely that he had bowel obstruction or a twisted bowel which can cause a toxic infection/sepsis considering he had 3 operations while in an induced coma.