Woman blindsided with a $1000 fine for a ‘barely noticeable error’ – Are you guilty of doing it too?

If you’re having a bad day after getting a parking ticket, it may pale in comparison to one woman who got slapped with a hefty fine of $1000 for committing a minor mistake while driving.

Hailey Gilliard was taken aback when she received a not-so-exciting surprise from the Queensland Police Service – a letter notifying her of a fine that costs a staggering $1078. To add salt to injury, she was also given four demerit points.

What makes the situation even more bizarre is that her violation would have been easy to miss.

Included in the letter was an image taken from one of the state’s surveillance cameras, which was installed to keep an eye out for drivers’ mobile phone or seat belt practices.

NvtIV5BfcQ7doK_Rgt5xF4C88dqsn50jcxt47uJUZO-3kbnl0mazaCy_kkUrpjBgYVfgbk-IsuPOgLFrbVJunxvdGasp-KTIt1tTAAfarRncDOMQfDmH3TDBrIHCMt5x5M2VL6OYgWRCH3y72A5wies
6Cb-Y5gQZRvhRFZ-uxe8ZqrgZDbcNXfj4-Iz5UsP9XQitaqX-5vpWlATH2S4ccVcypAJeAlaHvEUjQXSUw90K_x4cdRUBhPhl8vaGGbud1nsj_teRWw_x_cgxH89rl8uDIY-yCe6zw4xjUz4_DWMIKs

Hailey detailed the story in a TikTok video. Source: @haileygillard1

The blurry photo shows Hailey–who was in the front passenger seat at the time– wearing her seat belt under her arms rather than over her left shoulder.

She shared her frustration about the ordeal on TikTok, which has since racked up over 118k views.

‘If you’re having a bad day, at least it’s not as bad as mine,’ she can be heard saying in the video.

‘I just got fined $1000 for wearing my seatbelt incorrectly… My seatbelt was underneath my arm because I was a bit carsick and I had to lean over. Then, I got a $1000 fine.’

‘Life is good, might cry later.’ she added sarcastically.

Source: @haileygillard1

In a follow-up video, Hailey urged others to avoid following in her footsteps.

‘I was in a bit of a shock because I was in the passenger seat,’ she said.

‘As you can see in this photo, my “mugshot” photo, I still had my seatbelt on. But because my arm was over it, it still was $1000 and four points demerited.’

‘So be really careful. Even if you’re wearing your seatbelt, wear it properly. Don’t do what I did or you’ll end up with a $1000 fine.’ she warned.

The QLD government website states: ‘You and all the passengers in your vehicle must always wear a seatbelt or child restraint when driving. Driving includes when the vehicle is moving or stationary (for example, when stopped at traffic lights), but not when parked.’

‘Wearing a properly fastened and adjusted seatbelt is the law and significantly reduces the risk of serious injury or loss of life in a crash.’

The correct way to wear seat belts in Queensland is strapped ‘over your shoulder, running across your chest, and buckled low on your hip. Wearing a seatbelt any other way will result in a fine.’

jg2tHTkhQ8L3vV5Hx8U5h307Ny12hAUj8eB9nVnNz83KBsN91Tbwr-1jW-18FYvtVBLA4kQVufgz5OaB8PujMxj0B5wRyuq9pnvd9rRp2Y2WdHJTN4Y6Lpvn9YZp54BLMbTpt0RS6OufXTXm3P2xhYE

The government website indicates the correct way to wear a seat belt. Source: qld.gov.au

‘Fines and demerit points apply for not wearing a seatbelt and for incorrectly fastened and adjusted seatbelts (for example, a seat belt worn under the arm).’ It continued.

However, as Hailey’s story circulated online, several users came to her defence and argued that the fine she got was too excessive.

‘Capitalism at its finest.’ one user hissed.

‘I thought these fines were around $400… A thousand dollars is WAY too much!’ said another.

‘I thought the driver was responsible for anyone not wearing a seat belt while they drive?’ a third asked, while a fourth shared: ‘Yes, we just got one too. I had no idea and I am shocked.’

But a few believed that she deserved the consequences.

‘This is awesome! Hopefully, this story prompts more people to start wearing their seat belts properly.’ a user wrote.

‘Wearing it under your arm like that won't stop you from launching through the windshield… That’s a really expensive mistake though!’ another chimed.

‘Is wearing a seatbelt in any way other than correctly like an “I’m the coolest kid” thing? It isn’t comfortable to wear it any other way.’ one more mocked.

The bottom line is to drive safely – and don’t forget to buckle up (the correct way), of course! What are your thoughts on Hailey’s fine? Did she deserve it or is the amount too high? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Learn why it’s important to wear your seat belt properly by watching the video below:

Source: Queensland Police

Last edited:
Sponsored
Rules are there for a reason and sometimes we don't understand

It's a known fact the driver is responsible for everyone in the car.

If a seatbelt was safe to wear under the arm it would then be allowed.

She could have pulled over or if she suffers motion sickness then there are tablets to help.

The fine though was a little steep and is it bad enough to lose points.

My daughter was taking her brother and niece home and didn't realise her niece who was 12 at the time had taken her seat belt of to get something from the floor, the alarm let my daughter know but before she could tell her to put it back on she was pulled over by police.

She copped a fine and also demerit points but I think the fine was $300 and something .

My son paid the fine but she still lost points even though she was telling her niece straight away to put it back on.

We can ask the police to be more understanding to look at each case, but really they only have our word to go by , how do they know who us telling the truth and rules are there for our safety

Someone has to pay for the Olympics nobody wanted...be aware the QLD Government has to raise 30 million or 30 Billion or more for these Olympics, they have now brought out cameras to monitor your speed in area's of road works....40k zones, be careful!!! and the cameras look like little road work machines, but of course it's not revenue raising, it's looking after your welfare!!!
After the sale of our house and money put aside for the new build...helping the kids out a little ...replacing tatty old furniture for new new also decided to buy a new car....sheesh it does everything except wipe your butt. They'd have to be watching us pretty closely hahahahaha

Short of the police going to her friend to find out who was in the passenger seat. I'm at odds as to how they identified the passenger and how they knew she had a license. After all they weren't pulled over. It was a traffic camera and fine in the post. Perhaps these 'traffic cameras' now have facial recognition as well.
But, yes, another back-handed way to revenue raise for sure ... still, over shoulder is automatic I always thought.

I have adjusted the seatbelt in my car every which way but I still can't get it to fit me right. It rides up till it's slicing into my neck. I dread to think how I would go in an accident but I still wear it over my shoulder, just end up pulling it away from my neck roughly every couple of hundred metres which can't be safe driving.:(
You can get a belt sleeve from several Auto shops which will prevent the belt from chaffing the neck

I have adjusted the seatbelt in my car every which way but I still can't get it to fit me right. It rides up till it's slicing into my neck. I dread to think how I would go in an accident but I still wear it over my shoulder, just end up pulling it away from my neck roughly every couple of hundred metres which can't be safe driving.:(
Exactly my problem also. I am short and have tried every height on the B pillar to no avail. Have to keep pulling it off my neck.. Have a sleeve on it but it does not stop it from riding up all the time.

That's not a mistake if you are going to drive a car before you even step in it you should know all rules and everything about the car the seat belt rule is a no brainer so no it is nit a mistake

Reactions: Ezzy
If you’re having a bad day after getting a parking ticket, it may pale in comparison to one woman who got slapped with a hefty fine of $1000 for committing a minor mistake while driving.

Hailey Gilliard was taken aback when she received a not-so-exciting surprise from the Queensland Police Service – a letter notifying her of a fine that costs a staggering $1078. To add salt to injury, she was also given four demerit points.

What makes the situation even more bizarre is that her violation would have been easy to miss.

Included in the letter was an image taken from one of the state’s surveillance cameras, which was installed to keep an eye out for drivers’ mobile phone or seat belt practices.

NvtIV5BfcQ7doK_Rgt5xF4C88dqsn50jcxt47uJUZO-3kbnl0mazaCy_kkUrpjBgYVfgbk-IsuPOgLFrbVJunxvdGasp-KTIt1tTAAfarRncDOMQfDmH3TDBrIHCMt5x5M2VL6OYgWRCH3y72A5wies
6Cb-Y5gQZRvhRFZ-uxe8ZqrgZDbcNXfj4-Iz5UsP9XQitaqX-5vpWlATH2S4ccVcypAJeAlaHvEUjQXSUw90K_x4cdRUBhPhl8vaGGbud1nsj_teRWw_x_cgxH89rl8uDIY-yCe6zw4xjUz4_DWMIKs

The blurry photo shows Hailey–who was in the front passenger seat at the time– wearing her seat belt under her arms rather than over her right shoulder.

She shared her frustration about the ordeal on TikTok, which has since racked up over 118k views.

‘If you’re having a bad day, at least it’s not as bad as mine,’ she can be heard saying in the video.

‘I just got fined $1000 for wearing my seatbelt incorrectly… My seatbelt was underneath my arm because I was a bit carsick and I had to lean over. Then, I got a $1000 fine.’

‘As you can see in this photo, my “mugshot” photo, I still had my seatbelt on. But because my arm was over it, it still was $1000 and four points demerited.’

‘So be really careful. Even if you’re wearing your seatbelt, wear it properly. Don’t do what I did or you’ll end up with a $1000 fine.’ she warned.

The QLD government website states: ‘You and all the passengers in your vehicle must always wear a seatbelt or child restraint when driving. Driving includes when the vehicle is moving or stationary (for example, when stopped at traffic lights), but not when parked.’

‘Wearing a properly fastened and adjusted seatbelt is the law and significantly reduces the risk of serious injury or loss of life in a crash.’

The correct way to wear seat belts in Queensland is strapped ‘over your shoulder, running across your chest, and buckled low on your hip. Wearing a seatbelt any other way will result in a fine.’

jg2tHTkhQ8L3vV5Hx8U5h307Ny12hAUj8eB9nVnNz83KBsN91Tbwr-1jW-18FYvtVBLA4kQVufgz5OaB8PujMxj0B5wRyuq9pnvd9rRp2Y2WdHJTN4Y6Lpvn9YZp54BLMbTpt0RS6OufXTXm3P2xhYE

The government website indicates the correct way to wear a seat belt. Source: qld.gov.au

‘Fines and demerit points apply for not wearing a seatbelt and for incorrectly fastened and adjusted seatbelts (for example, a seat belt worn under the arm).’ It continued.

However, as Hailey’s story circulated online, several users came to her defence and argued that the fine she got was too excessive.

‘I thought these fines were around $400… A thousand dollars is WAY too much!’ said another.

‘I thought the driver was responsible for anyone not wearing a seat belt while they drive?’ a third asked, while a fourth shared: ‘Yes, we just got one too. I had no idea and I am shocked.’

‘This is awesome! Hopefully, this story prompts more people to start wearing their seat belts properly.’ a user wrote.

‘Wearing it under your arm like that won't stop you from launching through the windshield… That’s a really expensive mistake though!’ another chimed.

‘Is wearing a seatbelt in any way other than correctly like an “I’m the coolest kid” thing? It isn’t comfortable to wear it any other way.’ one more mocked.

The bottom line is to drive safely – and don’t forget to buckle up (the correct way), of course! What are your thoughts on Hailey’s fine? Did she deserve it or is the amount too high? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Learn why it’s important to wear your seat belt properly by watching the video below:

Honestly, why would you wear a seat belt under your arm in the first place? Very uncomfortable! Seat belts have been designed to give a wearer maximum protection in any type of accident.
Ignorance is no excuse for not wearing this in a correct manner. I believe she received what was needed in this situation. Her costly mistake will serve as a reminder to other drivers or passengers intending to do the same. There is a safe way to wear a seatbelt & the other way to wear these.

The blurry photo shows Hailey–who was in the front passenger seat at the time– wearing her seat belt under her arms rather than over her right shoulder.

The law has been around for a long time now, and they do mean WEAR your seat belt. After all it won't save your life like that. Perhaps she can be thankful that she didn't get involved in an accident and suffer more than a sting in the hip pocket. Chalk it up to doing a lot of young people a favour who also flout the law.