Woman blindsided with a $1000 fine for a ‘barely noticeable error’ – Are you guilty of doing it too?

If you’re having a bad day after getting a parking ticket, it may pale in comparison to one woman who got slapped with a hefty fine of $1000 for committing a minor mistake while driving.

Hailey Gilliard was taken aback when she received a not-so-exciting surprise from the Queensland Police Service – a letter notifying her of a fine that costs a staggering $1078. To add salt to injury, she was also given four demerit points.

What makes the situation even more bizarre is that her violation would have been easy to miss.

Included in the letter was an image taken from one of the state’s surveillance cameras, which was installed to keep an eye out for drivers’ mobile phone or seat belt practices.

NvtIV5BfcQ7doK_Rgt5xF4C88dqsn50jcxt47uJUZO-3kbnl0mazaCy_kkUrpjBgYVfgbk-IsuPOgLFrbVJunxvdGasp-KTIt1tTAAfarRncDOMQfDmH3TDBrIHCMt5x5M2VL6OYgWRCH3y72A5wies
6Cb-Y5gQZRvhRFZ-uxe8ZqrgZDbcNXfj4-Iz5UsP9XQitaqX-5vpWlATH2S4ccVcypAJeAlaHvEUjQXSUw90K_x4cdRUBhPhl8vaGGbud1nsj_teRWw_x_cgxH89rl8uDIY-yCe6zw4xjUz4_DWMIKs

Hailey detailed the story in a TikTok video. Source: @haileygillard1

The blurry photo shows Hailey–who was in the front passenger seat at the time– wearing her seat belt under her arms rather than over her left shoulder.

She shared her frustration about the ordeal on TikTok, which has since racked up over 118k views.

‘If you’re having a bad day, at least it’s not as bad as mine,’ she can be heard saying in the video.

‘I just got fined $1000 for wearing my seatbelt incorrectly… My seatbelt was underneath my arm because I was a bit carsick and I had to lean over. Then, I got a $1000 fine.’

‘Life is good, might cry later.’ she added sarcastically.

Source: @haileygillard1

In a follow-up video, Hailey urged others to avoid following in her footsteps.

‘I was in a bit of a shock because I was in the passenger seat,’ she said.

‘As you can see in this photo, my “mugshot” photo, I still had my seatbelt on. But because my arm was over it, it still was $1000 and four points demerited.’

‘So be really careful. Even if you’re wearing your seatbelt, wear it properly. Don’t do what I did or you’ll end up with a $1000 fine.’ she warned.

The QLD government website states: ‘You and all the passengers in your vehicle must always wear a seatbelt or child restraint when driving. Driving includes when the vehicle is moving or stationary (for example, when stopped at traffic lights), but not when parked.’

‘Wearing a properly fastened and adjusted seatbelt is the law and significantly reduces the risk of serious injury or loss of life in a crash.’

The correct way to wear seat belts in Queensland is strapped ‘over your shoulder, running across your chest, and buckled low on your hip. Wearing a seatbelt any other way will result in a fine.’

jg2tHTkhQ8L3vV5Hx8U5h307Ny12hAUj8eB9nVnNz83KBsN91Tbwr-1jW-18FYvtVBLA4kQVufgz5OaB8PujMxj0B5wRyuq9pnvd9rRp2Y2WdHJTN4Y6Lpvn9YZp54BLMbTpt0RS6OufXTXm3P2xhYE

The government website indicates the correct way to wear a seat belt. Source: qld.gov.au

‘Fines and demerit points apply for not wearing a seatbelt and for incorrectly fastened and adjusted seatbelts (for example, a seat belt worn under the arm).’ It continued.

However, as Hailey’s story circulated online, several users came to her defence and argued that the fine she got was too excessive.

‘Capitalism at its finest.’ one user hissed.

‘I thought these fines were around $400… A thousand dollars is WAY too much!’ said another.

‘I thought the driver was responsible for anyone not wearing a seat belt while they drive?’ a third asked, while a fourth shared: ‘Yes, we just got one too. I had no idea and I am shocked.’

But a few believed that she deserved the consequences.

‘This is awesome! Hopefully, this story prompts more people to start wearing their seat belts properly.’ a user wrote.

‘Wearing it under your arm like that won't stop you from launching through the windshield… That’s a really expensive mistake though!’ another chimed.

‘Is wearing a seatbelt in any way other than correctly like an “I’m the coolest kid” thing? It isn’t comfortable to wear it any other way.’ one more mocked.

The bottom line is to drive safely – and don’t forget to buckle up (the correct way), of course! What are your thoughts on Hailey’s fine? Did she deserve it or is the amount too high? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Learn why it’s important to wear your seat belt properly by watching the video below:

Source: Queensland Police

Last edited:
Sponsored
This doesn't surprise me at all. My daughter has received a $450 fine and 3 demerit points because her passenger was wearing her seatbelt was incorrectly. She has been trying to have her adult passenger held responsible for her own actions but the police have told her that as the driver she is responsible for the seatbelts of every passenger in the vehicle. Certainly doesn't seem fair to me.

If you’re having a bad day after getting a parking ticket, it may pale in comparison to one woman who got slapped with a hefty fine of $1000 for committing a minor mistake while driving.

Hailey Gilliard was taken aback when she received a not-so-exciting surprise from the Queensland Police Service – a letter notifying her of a fine that costs a staggering $1078. To add salt to injury, she was also given four demerit points.

What makes the situation even more bizarre is that her violation would have been easy to miss.

Included in the letter was an image taken from one of the state’s surveillance cameras, which was installed to keep an eye out for drivers’ mobile phone or seat belt practices.

NvtIV5BfcQ7doK_Rgt5xF4C88dqsn50jcxt47uJUZO-3kbnl0mazaCy_kkUrpjBgYVfgbk-IsuPOgLFrbVJunxvdGasp-KTIt1tTAAfarRncDOMQfDmH3TDBrIHCMt5x5M2VL6OYgWRCH3y72A5wies
6Cb-Y5gQZRvhRFZ-uxe8ZqrgZDbcNXfj4-Iz5UsP9XQitaqX-5vpWlATH2S4ccVcypAJeAlaHvEUjQXSUw90K_x4cdRUBhPhl8vaGGbud1nsj_teRWw_x_cgxH89rl8uDIY-yCe6zw4xjUz4_DWMIKs

The blurry photo shows Hailey–who was in the front passenger seat at the time– wearing her seat belt under her arms rather than over her right shoulder.

She shared her frustration about the ordeal on TikTok, which has since racked up over 118k views.

‘If you’re having a bad day, at least it’s not as bad as mine,’ she can be heard saying in the video.

‘I just got fined $1000 for wearing my seatbelt incorrectly… My seatbelt was underneath my arm because I was a bit carsick and I had to lean over. Then, I got a $1000 fine.’

‘As you can see in this photo, my “mugshot” photo, I still had my seatbelt on. But because my arm was over it, it still was $1000 and four points demerited.’

‘So be really careful. Even if you’re wearing your seatbelt, wear it properly. Don’t do what I did or you’ll end up with a $1000 fine.’ she warned.

The QLD government website states: ‘You and all the passengers in your vehicle must always wear a seatbelt or child restraint when driving. Driving includes when the vehicle is moving or stationary (for example, when stopped at traffic lights), but not when parked.’

‘Wearing a properly fastened and adjusted seatbelt is the law and significantly reduces the risk of serious injury or loss of life in a crash.’

The correct way to wear seat belts in Queensland is strapped ‘over your shoulder, running across your chest, and buckled low on your hip. Wearing a seatbelt any other way will result in a fine.’

jg2tHTkhQ8L3vV5Hx8U5h307Ny12hAUj8eB9nVnNz83KBsN91Tbwr-1jW-18FYvtVBLA4kQVufgz5OaB8PujMxj0B5wRyuq9pnvd9rRp2Y2WdHJTN4Y6Lpvn9YZp54BLMbTpt0RS6OufXTXm3P2xhYE

The government website indicates the correct way to wear a seat belt. Source: qld.gov.au

‘Fines and demerit points apply for not wearing a seatbelt and for incorrectly fastened and adjusted seatbelts (for example, a seat belt worn under the arm).’ It continued.

However, as Hailey’s story circulated online, several users came to her defence and argued that the fine she got was too excessive.

‘I thought these fines were around $400… A thousand dollars is WAY too much!’ said another.

‘I thought the driver was responsible for anyone not wearing a seat belt while they drive?’ a third asked, while a fourth shared: ‘Yes, we just got one too. I had no idea and I am shocked.’

‘This is awesome! Hopefully, this story prompts more people to start wearing their seat belts properly.’ a user wrote.

‘Wearing it under your arm like that won't stop you from launching through the windshield… That’s a really expensive mistake though!’ another chimed.

‘Is wearing a seatbelt in any way other than correctly like an “I’m the coolest kid” thing? It isn’t comfortable to wear it any other way.’ one more mocked.

The bottom line is to drive safely – and don’t forget to buckle up (the correct way), of course! What are your thoughts on Hailey’s fine? Did she deserve it or is the amount too high? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Learn why it’s important to wear your seat belt properly by watching the video below:

Seat belts are there for a reason and there is never any excuse for not wearing them correctly. I have absolutely no sympathy for her but I do think the fines for such things are too high, As for the demerit points that is extreme, that is an extra penalty. What happens to a passenger without a licence?

This is ridiculous. How about a warning first? 3 demerit points? Revenue raising at its best. People are already struggling financially at the moment. Warning first! Don’t kick them when they’re down. It’s only effective if you catch people at the time. The offence has already taken place.

The blurry photo shows Hailey–who was in the front passenger seat at the time– wearing her seat belt under her arms rather than over her right shoulder.

No sympathy

Excessive, but them's the breaks. Like the time I was pulled over when I was carrying my bike on it's bike beak. Apparently obscuring my number plate. the fine - $437 and four demerits. I now have an auxiliary plate on my bike beak and a full set of lights. All up cost $70 for plate and electrics.

Didn't realise it would be worth so much. However seatbelts are to be worn over the shoulder! That is the first you learn before you turn the ignition on. And it applies to everyone in the vehicle regardless. As fro driver taking responsibility for it , the person may start with it over shoulder and then move it. IF driver's eyes are on the road, they won't know.

I have adjusted the seatbelt in my car every which way but I still can't get it to fit me right. It rides up till it's slicing into my neck. I dread to think how I would go in an accident but I still wear it over my shoulder, just end up pulling it away from my neck roughly every couple of hundred metres which can't be safe driving.:(

I have adjusted my seatbelt in the car every which way but I still can't get it to fit me right. It rides up till it's slicing into my neck. I dread to think how I would go in an accident but I still wear it over my shoulder, just end up pulling it away from my neck roughly every couple of hundred metres.
I have a fluffy thing that velcroses onto the belt. It helps to keep it away from my throat/neck. Available in auto shops.

Last edited:

There is a reason why it’s a law to wear the seatbelt correctly, if you don’t & you are involved in an accident then you can be badly injured or even killed!! Maybe she’ll think about it next time, sick or not! And as for the driver being responsible for their passengers, I’m not sure of the rules! However, I think perhaps that only applies (& so it should be) to children & infants! For goodness sake if you’re an adult then you’re the one who has the responsibility & therefore should pay the fine if caught out!!

I have watched a couple of American TV shows where they have shown people wearing their seat belts in this manner, under the arm. Stopped me in my tracks when I saw them, thinking that you can't do that here in Oz. Maybe in the USA it is legal? <(")

I was aware of this rule for some years now - but can't understand the ridiculously high fine. Being large-breasted, I always found the strap very uncomfortable digging into my chest. I also resorted to using a strap cover (highly recommended)which definitely helps to have a more comfortable and less distracting ride.

I won't start the car until all passengers in my car have their belts on correctly. I've had cheeky children passengers who undo them, or try the under the arm trick - I just pull over out of the traffic and wait until they comply.

If you do the crime, you pay the fine!!!