Woman almost lost her $50k winning scratchie card: 'I’m still shocked'

For many Australians, buying a scratchie ticket offers some harmless fun and the chance to dream about what they'd do if they won big.

But for one Gold Coast woman, her weekly scratchie purchase almost ended in disaster.

The winner, who wished to remain anonymous, shared how close she was to missing out on a whopping $50,000 prize.

'I had scratched the ticket, and I did a final look to see if I had won anything,’ she said.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 124409.png
A woman almost threw out her winning scratchie card. Credit: The Lott - Official Home of Australia's Lotteries/YouTube

‘I didn’t think I had won anything on it because initially, I thought the numbers didn’t match up…’

And so, as any other Aussie would do upon finding out their ticket was a dud, she thought to just get rid of it.

‘I was very, very close to throwing it out!' She exclaimed.

Fortunately for this lucky winner, she decided to double-check her ticket before binning it. She immediately ‘went into shock’ upon realising she won.

'The ticket stayed in a safe place until I claimed the prize at the Lott head office. It’s so surreal,’ the woman shared.

She purchased the winning $4 Instant Scratch-Its ticket from Mudgeeraba Newsagency on the Gold Coast.

'We’re so happy to have sold a top prize-winning Instant Scratch-Its ticket worth $50,000,' said store supervisor Tina Fullerton.

There had been 147 Instant Scratch-It grand prize winners in the last financial year, with total winnings amounting to $12.1 million.

When asked how she plans to enjoy her windfall prize, the stunned winner said she hasn't thought too far ahead yet.

'Honestly, I’m still shocked by the news, so I haven’t had a great think,' she admitted.

'I think I’ll let it stay in the bank until I’ve decided what to do.'

For this lucky Gold Coast resident, the near miss has taught her to always check her scratchies thoroughly in future.

As unbelievable as it seems, she's far from the only Aussie who has come close to accidentally discarding a major prize ticket.

In 2022, a resident from Victoria almost lost $7,000 when she thought her scratch-off lottery didn’t win anything. Good thing her daughter had taken a look before it made its way to the bin!

‘I thought the tickets had won nothing, and I was close to dismissing them,’ she said.

Key Takeaways
  • An Australian woman almost discarded a winning $50,000 scratchie card, mistakenly believing it was worthless.
  • She realised her mistake before disposing of the card, saying she went 'into shock' upon the realisation.
  • The woman intends to keep her winnings in the bank until she decides how to spend them.
  • In the previous financial year, 147 top prize winners of Instant Scratch-Its collectively took home more than $12.1 million.

Members, have you ever won a lottery ticket? What was your first purchase? Share your story below!

• Love
Reactions: Liag and Agave
Sponsored
I won a prize on my first Tattslotto ticket! It was 1974 and the prize was $9. My husband at the time and I were poor art students, and $9 was half our rent- so not to be sneezed at. We spent it on groceries - I think we lashed out and bought a chicken! It wasn't a cheap food in those days. Never won Tattslotto again, though.

For many Australians, buying a scratchie ticket offers some harmless fun and the chance to dream about what they'd do if they won big.

But for one Gold Coast woman, her weekly scratchie purchase almost ended in disaster.

The winner, who wished to remain anonymous, shared how close she was to missing out on a whopping $50,000 prize.

'I had scratched the ticket, and I did a final look to see if I had won anything,’ she said.

View attachment 33130
A woman almost threw out her winning scratchie card. Credit: The Lott - Official Home of Australia's Lotteries/YouTube

‘I didn’t think I had won anything on it because initially, I thought the numbers didn’t match up…’

And so, as any other Aussie would do upon finding out their ticket was a dud, she thought to just get rid of it.

‘I was very, very close to throwing it out!' She exclaimed.

Fortunately for this lucky winner, she decided to double-check her ticket before binning it. She immediately ‘went into shock’ upon realising she won.

'The ticket stayed in a safe place until I claimed the prize at the Lott head office. It’s so surreal,’ the woman shared.

She purchased the winning $4 Instant Scratch-Its ticket from Mudgeeraba Newsagency on the Gold Coast.

'We’re so happy to have sold a top prize-winning Instant Scratch-Its ticket worth $50,000,' said store supervisor Tina Fullerton.

There had been 147 Instant Scratch-It grand prize winners in the last financial year, with total winnings amounting to $12.1 million.

When asked how she plans to enjoy her windfall prize, the stunned winner said she hasn't thought too far ahead yet.

'Honestly, I’m still shocked by the news, so I haven’t had a great think,' she admitted.

'I think I’ll let it stay in the bank until I’ve decided what to do.'

For this lucky Gold Coast resident, the near miss has taught her to always check her scratchies thoroughly in future.

As unbelievable as it seems, she's far from the only Aussie who has come close to accidentally discarding a major prize ticket.

In 2022, a resident from Victoria almost lost $7,000 when she thought her scratch-off lottery didn’t win anything. Good thing her daughter had taken a look before it made its way to the bin!

‘I thought the tickets had won nothing, and I was close to dismissing them,’ she said.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian woman almost discarded a winning $50,000 scratchie card, mistakenly believing it was worthless.
  • She realised her mistake before disposing of the card, saying she went 'into shock' upon the realisation.
  • The woman intends to keep her winnings in the bank until she decides how to spend them.
  • In the previous financial year, 147 top prize winners of Instant Scratch-Its collectively took home more than $12.1 million.

Members, have you ever won a lottery ticket? What was your first purchase? Share your story below!
If it was raining arseholes, I'd be hit with a politician?

• Haha
Reactions: Jacket and PattiB
Haven`t bought a Scratchie for a while, but they used to state on the card that ALL prizes may have been won. So, why did they continue to sell cards if there weren`t any prizes left?

Reactions: Gsr
People must not check their tickets properly if they don’t realise they have a winning ticket. Think they just make up these stories of “nearly threw it out etc.etc.) for their 5 minutes of fame.

Reactions: Littleboy8
In WA you can become a Lottery West member for nothing. You supply the card to the retailer when you purchase your tickets. This registers that ticket to your account. You have supplied LotteryWest your bank details, so in the event you don't check your ticket or worse still, lose it, they will send your winnings direct to your bank account. I know this is true 'cos a couple of times I've wrongly checked my ticket only 4 weeks later to get a deposit into my bank!!!

Reactions: Littleboy8