Woman’s skirt-to-dress hack perfect for “shorties”

In the popular Facebook group Kmart Mums Australia, one shopper shared how she managed to turn an “unexpected” find at Kmart into a dress that many women seemed to love.

Kasey was simply looking around Kmart when she came across a strapless dress in the store. She was surprised to see that it was exactly what she wanted: a black dress with ribbing around the chest that fits perfectly well with her height. So, she quickly grabbed it off the rack and went to checkout.

There was one thing she didn’t like about the dress though - she didn’t want it to be strapless. But it’s nothing a quick DIY session won’t fix. So she headed over to Spotlight and bought some Birch Frilled Cambric lace straps that she later added and sewn to the dress.

It was a lot later when she realised that what she bought at Kmart wasn’t exactly a “dress” – looking at the tag, she found out it was actually the $20 Side Split Maxi Skirt.

gf_fnOKPw061JS1fVYVE6waM4JdvgL_FF1pbJxSnO3E_mbI2DjBczv21oF5ZpSnxgyDPzzgesd-1Kv_3Sd05pSqfUP_iU9RcTGIRm8KAlCoZEqmwtMcxPDVnq7-6Dtstrh_VWU-i

Women loved Kasey’s skirt-to-dress conversion hack. Credit: Facebook.

The product is a long, flowy skirt from Kmart that is made from viscose and linen. It has a shirred elastic waistband and small slits on the side for that little bit of skin showing.

Without her knowing, Kasey actually made a dress out of a skirt from Kmart. But she doesn’t really mind. “Oh well, it’s a perfect fit for a short girl like me; I’m 149cm ‘tall’, 4ft 11in,” she said.

YJQWJybKzeFHIfjLn6W-Dp-6l0WCdZSlFmMFMxp2PVUE4cLha_RgCYPKOfwdt4bt7k6ITDvKULxlNGEe8b0VY1P5v96mhMlGwxKjD2z0oZdrIwMmoN1ih6XhBFoTbiKbMQ5dwB4g

Kasey bought the additional lace straps from Spotlight. Credit: Facebook.
Hundreds of fellow shoppers, particularly women around the same height as her, loved the Kmart hack. Her Facebook post even racked up more than a thousand likes in just four days!

One woman wrote in the comments section: “5ft 2in here girl, I love what you did there.” She also admitted that since she’s not that tall, she also uses her long skirts as strapless dresses. She even suggested adding a sash or a shawl for a new look.

“This looks great,” a second woman added. “You wouldn't even know it's meant to be a skirt. You are a shorty like I am, so I will def keep this hack in mind.”

Kasey admitted that she never expected her DIY project would be this popular among fellow shoppers. “I’m surprised it’s gotten so many likes, I honestly didn’t think my dress hack would be anything to anyone.”

“I’m loving the comments that have been left; it’s all positive women uplifting women,” she said.

This hack looks amazing! Are you looking to try this one, too?

Sponsored
I did this many times for my daughters when they were younger . I also have sewn a t shirt(with sleeves or sleeveless) cut to length usually between the bust & waistline & sewn this to a long skirt . I find this a comfortable dress for me as i have scoliosis which throws my hip out .

Reactions: Ricci
My mum did this 55 yeass ago , made me dresses when i was 10 years old out of my older sisters skirts.

I always liked that type of skirt as I can wear is as a maxi or midi skirt, or as a short dress, sometimes with a belt to dress it up or down. Especially when hiking it s perfect if I want to go out for dinner after a long day walking etc... You dont want a lot of luggage in your backpack...