Woman’s “NASTY” aeroplane act sparks heated debate on social media — "Worrying lack of consideration for others"

Social media is ablaze with outrage after a passenger was spotted practising a "rude" act during her flight from Melbourne to Adelaide.

The concerned passenger, who took a photo of the offender — who put her feet up on the headrest in front of her just a few centimetres away from another passenger's head — took to Twitter to share the snap.

"The person next to me on my flight," the concerned passenger wrote in the caption.

rD7CFC1Bkdroywxd5JzTVuwFH9US4P9giinYzbYVKfjgI-1q-iZSq4zQNOIueTP5X3T7S3PSJTsfH6plrTay_erbSEkDwU5PaOI-9kx_MAbV_NWsJN6_sITje6256uFyaW1pLLPdkPdP6VxV_A

Photo of the woman lifting her feet up to the headrest of the seat in front of her. Credit: Twitter.

The post has captured the attention of many users, with several agreeing that the act was beyond rude and that the woman should apologise for it.

However, many social media users were quick to jump to the defence of the woman, with some speculating that the woman may be suffering from a "medical condition", which might be the reason why she had her feet up on the headrest.

One person explained: "Actually, that person could suffer from all sorts of conditions that require her legs to be up when flying."

"There are various conditions that are aided by legs being up in the air (no pun intended)."

It should be noted that elevating your legs while resting can prevent conditions like deep vein thrombosis and blood clots from worsening.

Other users turned their attention to the passenger who posted the picture, calling them out for being insensitive.

One user argued: "Is she really harming anyone?"

"If she's not touching the guy in front I don't see the problem," another added.

A third chimed in: "If she's not touching the guy in front, I don't see the problem."

gj2pfghG5PqrgvpZQFoGTe2BuzgvmtwaVAeZFC1seKKEMdm15rjPH3VN4yFKYHQtjNd6fhkUQoEd1lGPGGlOHDyL3FKGqe-pe8nxewMwYNqeoi8ZvZauxLXB8r-dT57bvFWcXusptPNvI98-zw

Several social media users pointed out that the woman was not invading the space of the passenger in front of her, saying that there’s nothing wrong as long as both parties are comfortable. Credit: David Macdiarmid/Getty Images.

Others were less forgiving, with some Twitter users describing the woman as "nasty" and "appalling".

One comment read: "Worrying lack of consideration for others."

"Omg that is so nasty," another said.

One user pointed out that the affected passenger did not complain, questioning why other people who were not even onboard the flight were fuming over the act.

The passenger in front of the woman replied in the discussion, saying that he remained asleep the entire flight.

Meanwhile, the woman in question has yet to comment on the issue.

There's no doubt that this simple, possibly health-related act has got people talking! We can certainly relate to the difficulty of getting comfortable on a plane, but not if it comes at the expense of another person’s wellbeing. We even feel a little guilty reclining our seats sometimes…

How about you? What are your thoughts on this?

Sponsored
Social media is ablaze with outrage after a passenger was spotted practising a "rude" act during her flight from Melbourne to Adelaide.

The concerned passenger, who took a photo of the offender — who put her feet up on the headrest in front of her just a few centimetres away from another passenger's head — took to Twitter to share the snap.

"The person next to me on my flight," the concerned passenger wrote in the caption.

rD7CFC1Bkdroywxd5JzTVuwFH9US4P9giinYzbYVKfjgI-1q-iZSq4zQNOIueTP5X3T7S3PSJTsfH6plrTay_erbSEkDwU5PaOI-9kx_MAbV_NWsJN6_sITje6256uFyaW1pLLPdkPdP6VxV_A

Photo of the woman lifting her feet up to the headrest of the seat in front of her. Credit: Twitter.

The post has captured the attention of many users, with several agreeing that the act was beyond rude and that the woman should apologise for it.

However, many social media users were quick to jump to the defence of the woman, with some speculating that the woman may be suffering from a "medical condition", which might be the reason why she had her feet up on the headrest.

One person explained: "Actually, that person could suffer from all sorts of conditions that require her legs to be up when flying."

"There are various conditions that are aided by legs being up in the air (no pun intended)."

It should be noted that elevating your legs while resting can prevent conditions like deep vein thrombosis and blood clots from worsening.

Other users turned their attention to the passenger who posted the picture, calling them out for being insensitive.

"If she's not touching the guy in front I don't see the problem," another added.

A third chimed in: "If she's not touching the guy in front, I don't see the problem."

gj2pfghG5PqrgvpZQFoGTe2BuzgvmtwaVAeZFC1seKKEMdm15rjPH3VN4yFKYHQtjNd6fhkUQoEd1lGPGGlOHDyL3FKGqe-pe8nxewMwYNqeoi8ZvZauxLXB8r-dT57bvFWcXusptPNvI98-zw

Several social media users pointed out that the woman was not invading the space of the passenger in front of her, saying that there’s nothing wrong as long as both parties are comfortable. Credit: David Macdiarmid/Getty Images.

Others were less forgiving, with some Twitter users describing the woman as "nasty" and "appalling".

One user pointed out that the affected passenger did not complain, questioning why other people who were not even onboard the flight were fuming over the act.

The passenger in front of the woman replied in the discussion, saying that he remained asleep the entire flight.

There's no doubt that this simple, possibly health-related act has got people talking! We can certainly relate to the difficulty of getting comfortable on a plane, but not if it comes at the expense of another person’s wellbeing. We even feel a little guilty reclining our seats sometimes…

That is disgusting behavoir - any medical conditions require tellng the airline and they will either allow preferential seating or not allow them to fly. In this case I think the latter would be most desired by other passengers

Reactions: Ezzy
You do not cross your legs if having a medical issue with thrombosis. Just as suggested, wear compression stockings and sit properly.

I have issues with passengers, especially children pushing on the back of my seat. I would certainly tell her to remove the filthy boots. If she has a medical issue lay on the floor or if it is a known issue before boarding or you just want to stretch out like a princess....get on a ship
I agree remove those boots for a start!

So she may have a medical condition like no brain

I think if there is a medical reason for it, she should talk to the person in the seat in front. Having her shoes on certainly makes it more dangerous for the person if they hit turbulence or have a bumpy ride. He may end up with a kick in the head.

Reactions: Ezzy and Nardia
Bad manners and a short flight so no need. Honestly medical condition? If it is to prevent blood clots get a pair of support socks or travel by train .. nobody medically compromised would put themselves at risk and would have purchased a seat with extra leg room so they can move their legs.
Shouldn’t cross ankles if she has medical problems, so don’t think that is her excuse, just a look at me Princess smarty.

If she had a medical reason, then that should be staff’s problem to sort out.
I know I wouldn’t have tolerated having someone’s filthy shoes that close to my head. Maybe the person in front of her should’ve put their seat back …. then who would’ve been complaining? 🧐
Put their seat back?....... All of two inches?
I wish the airline had been named, but the following photo of a Ryanair aircraft does little to dispel what is nothing more than another storm in another teacup!
The group discussion topics are becoming overly "trashy"!

stunned caring crew didn't intervene. If she requires the use os another passenger's seat, let her pay for two. He can't move his head, put his seat down. It's deplorable that she did this and noone said anything. Disrespectful in every sense of the word.

I'd be more concerned about the woman across the aisle who has taken her mask off.

How much dirt has she got on the soles of her shoes, if she has a medical,problem she should have discussed it when she received her flight ticket and been given an appropriate seat

I must admit it does look disrespectful, but it didn't bother the most important person in this action, the passenger who's headrest it was. she could have taken shoes off maybe, it can be very uncomfortable on planes, especially long trips. As long as your not bothering anyone, just be aware.

Not sure how he could sleep properly sitting up on a plane. I always recline my seat, even if it is only slightly. My comfort while flying is paramount to me & l will put my seat into any position to achieve this. l am not the only passenger who does this & some do this to extreme where the passenger in front has reclined the seat to maximum & they are almost in my lap.

Regardless of her reason for sitting in a slightly cramped position l don't feel this gives her the privilege to take liberties like this. The first thing l noted besides the reclining position was that her boot is actually resting on the pillow behind the passenger's head & in close proximity to his head. Not healthy given her boots have been everywhere & anywhere.

That is extremely rude. The flight attendant should have a sked her to put her feet back on the floor.

I would have got her feet removed off my paid for seat. If she had thrombosis, which I doubt, she would not have had her legs crossed. Just really bad manners!