Winter Warming Mulled Wine

I've been under the weather for the past week, but I'm finally feeling like a human again, and that means I can enjoy one of my absolute favourite winter recipes!

Mulled wine* isn't just a warming drink for me, it holds so many good memories. Memories of my first (and only) trip to Europe, of an alleyway market in Southbank, Brisbane, celebrating Christmas in July, and of my first read-through of one of my now-favourite romance books.

I hope this recipe helps capture a little bit of that for you, too!

Shout out to Rosie Schaap at NYT for my go-to recipe.

Mulled Wine.jpg
Image Credit: Shutterstock

6 to 8 servings

Ingredients:
  • 2 large oranges
  • 1 litre red wine (recommendation below)
  • 1 ¼ cups brandy (if you have it)
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 6 whole cloves
  • 3 cardamom pods, slightly crushed
Tip
Full transparency: I once had none of these ingredients besides the wine*, and it was still fantastic after being warmed up on the stove.

Method:
  • Step 1
    Remove the orange peel in strips from one orange and juice it. Slice the other orange into rounds and reserve it for garnish.
  • Step 2
    In a saucepan, combine orange peel, juice and the rest of the ingredients. Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Increase the heat to high, bring the mixture to a boil, then immediately reduce the heat to low. Simmer gently until flavours meld, about 30 minutes. Strain the mixture, discarding the solids.
  • Step 3
    Ladle into cups or mugs. Garnish each with a reserved orange round.

Tip
The best wine?* Any red can work, but I think the best are dark, fruity reds.

My current favourites are:

For a classic:
2021 Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon*

Dive into refreshing hints of mint and tea, mixed with the taste of wild berries. It rounds off with a smooth coffee-cream touch, making every sip memorable and rich.

For something decadent: Limited Edition Adelaide Hills Pinot Noir*

Think deep cherry vibes with a splash of crimson, a cheeky blend of cherry plum and strawberries, and a cool charred oak finish.

On the lighter side: 2021 Barossa Shiraz*
Step into the sun-soaked embrace of Barossa with this Shiraz. Think breezy red berries flowing smoothly into a cosy coffee cream finish. It's full and welcoming, and it beckons for another sip.

I hope you enjoyed this recipe and my ramblings. Stay warm (maybe from the inside out?)!

Sponsored
Sorry to hear you have been under the weather April but glad to see you are feeling better. 🤧

Thanks for the recipe. Not sure if l will ever make it myself but a reli may.

[As we are all aware our friends @ SDC possibly burn the candle @ both ends sometimes in an effort to publish the stories we enjoy reading. Your efforts are appreciated.]