Why your grocery bills are about to get a lot higher according to major supermarket retailers Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI

We all know that the cost of living is rising, but did you know that your weekly grocery bill is about to get even more expensive?

That's right, the cost of raw materials, fuel and utilities is on the rise, and supermarkets are warning us that there is more pain to come.

Coles chief executive Steven Cain said that the country is currently experiencing a labour crisis across many sectors.

“It’s been compounded by what’s going on with Covid and the flu, our absenteeism today is twice normal with Covid and the flu, and the churn rate in most industries is increasing,” he told the Australian's Global Food Forum this week.

“I was talking to one of our store managers last week and asked him what the greatest challenge was."

“He said it was definitely trying to find the right people with the right skills, but he lost one on the shop floor who is going to be an $80,000 a year dishwasher.”

Aside from the shortage in the workforce, Mr Cain said that the suppliers were also informing them of their plans to increase prices.

He explained: “We have got five times as many requests for price increases as we had last year. Five times.”

LCmAXc7SWQRKeGLk1tBXKSzbSOB2tcmkMZqg1Q_aM2DCM-osSXCjQDkG1B1qfTt5taMldftQclaLLzbMhWFfPGVWx-pNvhg3GzyGDD8u0C-94kIzBiL-vocK-8VZO2l5AB9xa5ftfbKdur80

Australians should brace for pricier grocery bills according to major supermarket retailers. Credit: NCA Newswire/Jeremy Piper.

Additionally, a Coles spokesperson confirmed with NCA NewsWire that the retailer is doing its best to keep the costs down for families despite external factors that might drive up prices.

The spokesperson said: “We appreciate that there are a number of factors driving inflation for all retailers, including increases in the cost of raw materials, energy price rises and freight costs, however there are a number of ways in which we deliver value to customers.”

“This financial year to date, we have reduced prices on well over 2000 items across our range of more than 20,000 products."

“Customers purchasing their My Weekly Specials items can save an average of $65 on their basket each week.”

Meanwhile, Woolworths general manager of fruit and vegetable Paul Turner said that there has been a reduction in the harvest of fresh produce.

According to Mr Turner, the heavy rain and low sunlight in Queensland have led to a reduction in the supply and quality of zucchini, beans and broccolini.

It's not just the zucchini that's feeling the effects of the weather - truss, gourmet, cherry and solanato tomatoes are also feeling the heat (or lack thereof).

Mr Turner, however, said that Hass avocado season is now underway, stating that they are hoping that there will be an abundance of avo supplies.

It should also be noted that Woolworths has lowered the prices on more than 300 winter essentials — such as roast pork, soups, and cold and flu medication — aiding shoppers manage their budget as the winter season approaches.

Additionally, the retailer rolled out more than 650 own brand products, which include staples such as flour, sugar, and snacks, to its low price program.

According to recent data, veggie prices at Woolworths are on the rise, while fruit prices have remained relatively stable. This is thanks to items like apples and avocados, which are keeping deflation in check.

Overall, Woolworths reported an average price inflation of 2.7 per cent for the third quarter. This is slightly higher than Coles, which reported inflation of 3.3 per cent for the same period.

Meanwhile, ALDI's 2022 price report — which was released last month — revealed that a basket of goods from the retailer was at least 15.6 per cent cheaper compared to other supermarkets, which means that families could save $1,555 a year.

63wzfXp-DHYxcZI9PzCBd4Ue2Jsp5WEoBYwAJ72wvOe4cFTc_7ObuVffno2iP_BD0UwCJkuhy5aKZcUVv3winD0LukmQ_wjQVc0s8nOw1V03RJDp5nsl4EvuP0vjsCHV7CEAgz-wn_19994z

The German retailer claimed that a basket of goods from its stores costs cheaper compared to other supermarkets. Credit: NCA Newswire/Paul Jeffers.

Australian Food and Grocery Council chief executive Tanya Barden said that food and grocery manufacturers shouldered the additional costs that were affecting the entire supply chain of goods.

She explained: “There have been significant increases in their costs as a result of a combination of factors: the pandemic, which has affected workforces and the availability of key inputs; flooding and severe weather which has impacted supply chains and shipping costs; and geopolitical factors, including the war in Ukraine, which have impacted global commodity prices.”

“Costs for ingredients, packaging and shipping have all been affected. The global oil price rise is affecting the cost of transport, packaging materials and fertilisers."

“For businesses this is driving packaging costs up by 10 to 20 per cent, and fuel costs up 10 to 15 per cent.”

“Many of those businesses have reached a tipping point where they need to pass through costs to remain viable."

“The difficult reality is this is a global trend and unfortunately the costs are expected to keep coming."

“The pressures on costs are across the entire supply chain – from farmer right through to the retailers – and it will get worse before it gets better.”

So, what does this mean for your grocery bill? Well, it looks like you might have to shell out a few extra dollars for your veggies, but you can rest assured that fruit prices aren't going to skyrocket any time soon.

What do you think of these latest inflation numbers? Are you worried about the impact on your grocery budget? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
According to recent data, veggie prices at Woolworths are on the rise, while fruit prices have remained relatively stable. This is thanks to items like apples and avocados, which are keeping deflation in check.

Overall, Woolworths reported an average price inflation of 2.7 per cent for the third quarter. This is slightly higher than Coles, which reported inflation of 3.3 per cent for the same period.

I'm having a difficult time trying to work out how an average price inflation of 2.7 per cent is slightly higher than an inflation of 3.3 per cent.
And never in my life did I get a result below 96% in maths or arithmatric....
Maybe the scale has changed since I was at school :unsure::unsure::unsure:

So the price of food and vegies are going to sky rocket. No problem I shall purchase only what is basically required to survive. Remembering the good old days in the 50's, I had only a sandwich or two for school lunch and nothing else. If the price of fruit is too expensive I do without. Lamb cutlets were a regular meal at our house, don't recall the last time they were purchased because of the price hike. Today any excuse to reap of the consumer.

Forget the healthy pyramid!!!!! 😳😳😳 How can people afford 3 serves of vegies and 2 of fruit a day? I feel sorry for parents trying to give a healthy diet to their children. The way some children are used to have everything, it won’t be easy. I can imagine the tantrums and the screaming……..not like my childhood that mum would say “that’s what we can afford” and we just would say “ok” in a very humble way and enjoy what was in front of us.
Times have changed!!!!! 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

I'm having a difficult time trying to work out how an average price inflation of 2.7 per cent is slightly higher than an inflation of 3.3 per cent.
And never in my life did I get a result below 96% in maths or arithmetic.
Maybe the scale has changed since I was at school :unsure::unsure::unsure:
me too!

Reactions: Pamela Mcclintock
Why your grocery bills are about to get a lot higher according to major supermarket retailers Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI

We all know that the cost of living is rising, but did you know that your weekly grocery bill is about to get even more expensive?

That's right, the cost of raw materials, fuel and utilities is on the rise, and supermarkets are warning us that there is more pain to come.

Coles chief executive Steven Cain said that the country is currently experiencing a labour crisis across many sectors.

“It’s been compounded by what’s going on with Covid and the flu, our absenteeism today is twice normal with Covid and the flu, and the churn rate in most industries is increasing,” he told the Australian's Global Food Forum this week.

“I was talking to one of our store managers last week and asked him what the greatest challenge was."

“He said it was definitely trying to find the right people with the right skills, but he lost one on the shop floor who is going to be an $80,000 a year dishwasher.”

Aside from the shortage in the workforce, Mr Cain said that the suppliers were also informing them of their plans to increase prices.

He explained: “We have got five times as many requests for price increases as we had last year. Five times.”

LCmAXc7SWQRKeGLk1tBXKSzbSOB2tcmkMZqg1Q_aM2DCM-osSXCjQDkG1B1qfTt5taMldftQclaLLzbMhWFfPGVWx-pNvhg3GzyGDD8u0C-94kIzBiL-vocK-8VZO2l5AB9xa5ftfbKdur80

Australians should brace for pricier grocery bills according to major supermarket retailers. Credit: NCA Newswire/Jeremy Piper.

Additionally, a Coles spokesperson confirmed with NCA NewsWire that the retailer is doing its best to keep the costs down for families despite external factors that might drive up prices.

The spokesperson said: “We appreciate that there are a number of factors driving inflation for all retailers, including increases in the cost of raw materials, energy price rises and freight costs, however there are a number of ways in which we deliver value to customers.”

“This financial year to date, we have reduced prices on well over 2000 items across our range of more than 20,000 products."

“Customers purchasing their My Weekly Specials items can save an average of $65 on their basket each week.”

Meanwhile, Woolworths general manager of fruit and vegetable Paul Turner said that there has been a reduction in the harvest of fresh produce.

According to Mr Turner, the heavy rain and low sunlight in Queensland have led to a reduction in the supply and quality of zucchini, beans and broccolini.

It's not just the zucchini that's feeling the effects of the weather - truss, gourmet, cherry and solanato tomatoes are also feeling the heat (or lack thereof).

Mr Turner, however, said that Hass avocado season is now underway, stating that they are hoping that there will be an abundance of avo supplies.

It should also be noted that Woolworths has lowered the prices on more than 300 winter essentials — such as roast pork, soups, and cold and flu medication — aiding shoppers manage their budget as the winter season approaches.

Additionally, the retailer rolled out more than 650 own brand products, which include staples such as flour, sugar, and snacks, to its low price program.

Meanwhile, ALDI's 2022 price report — which was released last month — revealed that a basket of goods from the retailer was at least 15.6 per cent cheaper compared to other supermarkets, which means that families could save $1,555 a year.

63wzfXp-DHYxcZI9PzCBd4Ue2Jsp5WEoBYwAJ72wvOe4cFTc_7ObuVffno2iP_BD0UwCJkuhy5aKZcUVv3winD0LukmQ_wjQVc0s8nOw1V03RJDp5nsl4EvuP0vjsCHV7CEAgz-wn_19994z

The German retailer claimed that a basket of goods from its stores costs cheaper compared to other supermarkets. Credit: NCA Newswire/Paul Jeffers.

Australian Food and Grocery Council chief executive Tanya Barden said that food and grocery manufacturers shouldered the additional costs that were affecting the entire supply chain of goods.

She explained: “There have been significant increases in their costs as a result of a combination of factors: the pandemic, which has affected workforces and the availability of key inputs; flooding and severe weather which has impacted supply chains and shipping costs; and geopolitical factors, including the war in Ukraine, which have impacted global commodity prices.”

“Costs for ingredients, packaging and shipping have all been affected. The global oil price rise is affecting the cost of transport, packaging materials and fertilisers."

“For businesses this is driving packaging costs up by 10 to 20 per cent, and fuel costs up 10 to 15 per cent.”

“Many of those businesses have reached a tipping point where they need to pass through costs to remain viable."

“The difficult reality is this is a global trend and unfortunately the costs are expected to keep coming."

“The pressures on costs are across the entire supply chain – from farmer right through to the retailers – and it will get worse before it gets better.”

So, what does this mean for your grocery bill? Well, it looks like you might have to shell out a few extra dollars for your veggies, but you can rest assured that fruit prices aren't going to skyrocket any time soon.

What do you think of these latest inflation numbers? Are you worried about the impact on your grocery budget? Let us know in the comments below.
I'm a special shopper always have been and yes I am worried about the increases to our groceries and meat and fruit and vegetables from the Supermarkets , Butchers etc. As time has gone on we have become very dependent on these shops for everything. I also think there will be more backyard vegetable gardens because of the increases.