Why is Woolworths locking up deodorant? Shoppers are in a heated debate

When it comes to shopping at the grocery store, deodorant is usually one of those items you can easily grab from the shelf and go. However, that is no longer the case at certain Woolworths stores.

At first glance, it may appear to be an unusual step for the store to lock up everyday items like deodorant, but the reasons behind this change in store policy have been subject to intense speculation and sparked a divided response.

Recently, a customer spotted a shelf of deodorant locked up in a local Woolies store and took to social media to share the image.

The woman who posted the photo said, 'Well done Woolworths. If locking deodorant up helps to save just one young person from sniffing it, then it’s well worth it.’

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 2.05.59 PM.png
A customer posted a photo of deodorants locked up in a cabinet in Woolworths. Credit: Facebook

Word quickly spread, with shoppers in various parts of the country reporting the same sight in their local Woolies stores.

‘I think they’re more trying to stop them from stealing than sniffing it. I don’t think Woolies really cares. Just wants its money,’ one person replied.

‘You can get high off any number of industrial and cleaning products. What difference will it make locking up deodorant? They will probably sell less of it now because no one will bother waiting around for someone to open the cabinet,’ another said.

Customers need to press a button to purchase a can and wait for a staff member to assist them and unlock the cabinet, according to reports.

Last year, Woolworths rolled out the initiative in all stores in the Northern Territory, as well as some stores in Queensland.

Woolworths Queensland state manager Danny Baldwin said, 'At Woolworths, we want to play our part in reducing the abuse of these products in Queensland.’

'With these new cabinets, we’re hoping to significantly reduce the opportunity for misuse while continuing to offer access to the products where our customers expect to find them [in the health and beauty aisle],’ he added.

Other shoppers said that this method would be helpful if it helped save lives, referencing a dangerous trend that has resurfaced.

‘It’s called chroming, and that is why supermarkets are introducing locking deodorants up. I think if it saves just one life, they have succeeded. Not sure why people would think it’s pointless or funny,’ one person said.

The Royal Children’s Melbourne Hospital stated that chroming has become a ‘general term used to describe the inhalation of volatile substances/solvents as recreational drugs.’

Deodorant, listed to have the gaseous compound butane, is included as one of the volatile household or industrial solvents inhaled in chroming.

Misuse of products like deodorant cans can cause serious health problems, such as heart palpitations, seizures, and sudden death.

In response to the discussions surrounding the shopper’s post, a Woolworths spokesperson said that the move was one of the store’s plans to ‘explore practical solutions’ to the ‘misuse of aerosol products across the country’.

‘We’ve fitted a number of our stores with in-aisle restricted items cabinets since 2021, and are currently in the process of expanding this across our store network,” they said.

‘This is set to be completed by the end of the month.’

‘We understand that this is a complex issue and that’s why we continue to engage with a variety of organisations including police, community groups, and our own store team members,’ they added.
‘We also continue to explore further ways to help the broader community effort to address misuse.’

Coles for its part has also locked deodorants in some stores citing similar reasons.

A spokesperson for Coles said, ‘A number of our stores now have lockable aerosol cabinets installed, and customers seeking to purchase these products can simply ask a team member at the service desk for assistance.’

‘We’ve had positive feedback from our customers since we introduced the lockable aerosol cabinets. It takes the whole community to support this issue,’ they added.

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths has locked cans of deodorant under lock and key, causing controversy among shoppers.
  • The action was aimed at reducing the abuse of deodorant cans, often inhaled as recreational drugs, commonly referred to as 'chroming'.
  • Customers wanting to purchase deodorant need to press a button and wait for a staff member to unlock the cabinet.
  • Woolworths responded, stating that they are exploring practical solutions to the misuse of aerosol products and have been fitting stores with in-aisle restricted items cabinets.

What do you think of locking up deodorants in cabinets? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
They do have a chance of making better decisions. Everyone is responsible for the decisions they make. No one holds them down & forces them to sniff the aerosol just like no one makes druggies take drugs. It is their choice. Do not put the blame for their actions on others in society.
You are probably right. I don't know that I was putting blame on others in society though - who did I blame?

I in no way blame others in society - I did NOT say that. I said that some of these kids start this rubbish at a very early age and the damage is done before they even become teenagers in some cases. I am saying their role models and environment are a big cause - and that is sad. Sorry if my view offends you. I also don't believe business do these things to annoy anyone or to bump up prices - it would most likely be a political recommendation of sorts.

Ah, so this is why we have so many brain dead youths. No doubt their parents are no better. They probably sniff the stuff in front of the offspring and let the kids join in.

don't have these 'lock out' product problems....Home Delivery supplies us with anything that we need.....Free delivery, straight to your door by friendly drivers. Suits us anyway......🤔😉

Not usually a wowser and I do believe that people should take responsibility for their actions, but I'm pretty appalled by some of the comments here. It is mostly young people doing this and unfortunately like taking many illicit drugs it is a dice roll whether you're going to get high or dead. Good ole peer pressure.
I've been to these stores that have locked up deodorant and it's no big deal to wait a minute to get it.
Along the same lines as having to wait until 4pm to be able to buy a goon bag from the bottle shop, but you can buy absolutely anything else! 🤷🤔

Reactions: Veggiepatch
They do have a chance of making better decisions. Everyone is responsible for the decisions they make. No one holds them down & forces them to sniff the aerosol just like no one makes druggies take drugs. It is their choice. Do not put the blame for their actions on others in society.
...and I still want to know what I said that "put the blame for their actions on others in society." ??? Please enlighten me! - for sure English was not my best subject.

When it comes to shopping at the grocery store, deodorant is usually one of those items you can easily grab from the shelf and go. However, that is no longer the case at certain Woolworths stores.

At first glance, it may appear to be an unusual step for the store to lock up everyday items like deodorant, but the reasons behind this change in store policy have been subject to intense speculation and sparked a divided response.

Recently, a customer spotted a shelf of deodorant locked up in a local Woolies store and took to social media to share the image.

The woman who posted the photo said, 'Well done Woolworths. If locking deodorant up helps to save just one young person from sniffing it, then it’s well worth it.’

View attachment 34274
A customer posted a photo of deodorants locked up in a cabinet in Woolworths. Credit: Facebook

Word quickly spread, with shoppers in various parts of the country reporting the same sight in their local Woolies stores.

‘I think they’re more trying to stop them from stealing than sniffing it. I don’t think Woolies really cares. Just wants its money,’ one person replied.

‘You can get high off any number of industrial and cleaning products. What difference will it make locking up deodorant? They will probably sell less of it now because no one will bother waiting around for someone to open the cabinet,’ another said.

Customers need to press a button to purchase a can and wait for a staff member to assist them and unlock the cabinet, according to reports.

Last year, Woolworths rolled out the initiative in all stores in the Northern Territory, as well as some stores in Queensland.

Woolworths Queensland state manager Danny Baldwin said, 'At Woolworths, we want to play our part in reducing the abuse of these products in Queensland.’

'With these new cabinets, we’re hoping to significantly reduce the opportunity for misuse while continuing to offer access to the products where our customers expect to find them [in the health and beauty aisle],’ he added.

Other shoppers said that this method would be helpful if it helped save lives, referencing a dangerous trend that has resurfaced.

‘It’s called chroming, and that is why supermarkets are introducing locking deodorants up. I think if it saves just one life, they have succeeded. Not sure why people would think it’s pointless or funny,’ one person said.

The Royal Children’s Melbourne Hospital stated that chroming has become a ‘general term used to describe the inhalation of volatile substances/solvents as recreational drugs.’

Deodorant, listed to have the gaseous compound butane, is included as one of the volatile household or industrial solvents inhaled in chroming.

Misuse of products like deodorant cans can cause serious health problems, such as heart palpitations, seizures, and sudden death.

In response to the discussions surrounding the shopper’s post, a Woolworths spokesperson said that the move was one of the store’s plans to ‘explore practical solutions’ to the ‘misuse of aerosol products across the country’.

‘We’ve fitted a number of our stores with in-aisle restricted items cabinets since 2021, and are currently in the process of expanding this across our store network,” they said.

‘We understand that this is a complex issue and that’s why we continue to engage with a variety of organisations including police, community groups, and our own store team members,’ they added.
‘We also continue to explore further ways to help the broader community effort to address misuse.’

Coles for its part has also locked deodorants in some stores citing similar reasons.

A spokesperson for Coles said, ‘A number of our stores now have lockable aerosol cabinets installed, and customers seeking to purchase these products can simply ask a team member at the service desk for assistance.’

‘We’ve had positive feedback from our customers since we introduced the lockable aerosol cabinets. It takes the whole community to support this issue,’ they added.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has locked cans of deodorant under lock and key, causing controversy among shoppers.
  • The action was aimed at reducing the abuse of deodorant cans, often inhaled as recreational drugs, commonly referred to as 'chroming'.
  • Customers wanting to purchase deodorant need to press a button and wait for a staff member to unlock the cabinet.
  • Woolworths responded, stating that they are exploring practical solutions to the misuse of aerosol products and have been fitting stores with in-aisle restricted items cabinets.

What do you think of locking up deodorants in cabinets? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
This is NOT in my local woollies yet. Ridiculous. just put extra cameras in the area or something - it's hard enough to track down staff now let alone having to find someone to open that cupboard and waiting for them to come and do so.

View attachment 34274

Key Takeaways

Simple, don't use deodorant aerosols..change to roll on or alternative deodorants that don't come in a pressurised can..bad for the environment anyway..