Why is this hardworking grandmother's story sparking outrage among Australians?

We here at the SDC send along our utmost respect to all senior citizens out there who continue to work long past their retirement age. After all, we understand that some people choose to stay in the workforce out of personal drive and desire—and, in some cases, necessity.

This is where the story of Vesela Grujoska, an 80-year-old grandmother of three, comes in. She is one such senior worker who is an inspiration, having spent the past 50 years working at Sydney’s Central Station as a cleaner since migrating to Australia from Macedonia in 1970.

Vesa (as she is affectionately known by colleagues) seemed unfazed by such a staggering work history, stating in a recent interview that working 'kept her young' and that not working would be a 'disaster'. She even vowed not to retire until she's 100!

She even worked almost every Christmas Day and has never taken a sick day.

photo (31).jpg
Vesa worked at the Sydney Central Station for 50 years. Credit: Transport for NSW/Linkedin

While working at the Central Station, she raised her two children as a single mother. To make ends meet while she worked, she even paid an elderly neighbour to look after them.

These days, those children have degrees and well-paying jobs, and Vesa spends her spare time doting on three grandchildren.

Vesa's incredible story got out to the public when news source SBS News shared the piece on their social media page—but not everyone was impressed.

Some questioned why the news was praising a grandmother for working hard and not taking a day off, implying there was something wrong with taking a sick day or 'working until you drop'.

As one person put it: ‘But if you are sick, it’s also okay to take a sick day. I don’t like the hero-ship for people that never take a day off.’

‘Work is not everything in your life,’ another social media user stated.

Other commentators expressed their concern at the idea of normalising the senior workforce.

‘That’s great she’s happy, but I’m seeing more and more people of retirement age forced to stay in or go back to the workforce,’ a third person pointed out.

‘I’ve also seen a lot of media trying to normalise this lately. I hope everyone gets the chance to rest and enjoy their last years in dignity and comfort,’ someone agreed.

There were also defenders of Vesa, praising her for her life’s work and hoping she received a raise.

‘What a noble character,’ one person said while another commented, ‘Hope they gave her a pay rise too!’

As expected, there is a clear divide in opinion on this topic—and with it, a lot of emotion.

A new bill is being introduced to parliament to allow aged and veteran pensioners to earn up to $300 per fortnight before it impacts their pension payments. You can learn more about this new bill here.

Key Takeaways
  • Vesela Grujoska, 80, currently works at Sydney’s Central Station as a cleaner and has done so for 50 years, drawing both praise and criticism from the public.
  • She is committed to her job, having missed work only on three Christmas Days, and has never taken a sick day, declaring that working 'kept her young'.
  • Critics have expressed concern, indicating that normalising extensive work years and a lack of breaks is harmful and compromises enjoying life's last years in dignity and comfort.
  • Vesa remains dedicated to her job, planning to work until she is 100 and is commended by others for her hard work.

Members, this may be a controversial subject, but it's certainly one worth discussing. What are your thoughts on seniors and their place in the workforce? Should more people be encouraged to retire—or should they be allowed to continue working if they so choose?

Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
I think let people work until they are ready in themselves to retire.

But I actually feel this is a little sad apart from her family is work all she has. Is that the love of her life, it is looking like it.

I feel after working that many years you deserve to sleep in , have lazy days or days on adventures.

Working when sick is not being a hero.

I was one who worked when sick and didn't take a day off and it wasn't for the money it was so my work place wasn't let down. I would have felt guilty taking a day off . But in the end I saw my bosses didn't respect their workers.

Also after covid it was an eye opener that if you worked sick then you infected others if your illness was a flu.

I think there is more behind this story than meets the eye. Almost like she feels she has to work

We here at the SDC send along our utmost respect to all senior citizens out there who continue to work long past their retirement age. After all, we understand that some people choose to stay in the workforce out of personal drive and desire—and, in some cases, necessity.

This is where the story of Vesela Grujoska, an 80-year-old grandmother of three, comes in. She is one such senior worker who is an inspiration, having spent the past 50 years working at Sydney’s Central Station as a cleaner since migrating to Australia from Macedonia in 1970.

Vesa (as she is affectionately known by colleagues) seemed unfazed by such a staggering work history, stating in a recent interview that working 'kept her young' and that not working would be a 'disaster'. She even vowed not to retire until she's 100!

View attachment 32512
Vesa worked at the Sydney Central Station for 50 years. Credit: Transport for NSW/Linkedin

While working at the Central Station, she raised her two children as a single mother. To make ends meet while she worked, she even paid an elderly neighbour to look after them.

These days, those children have degrees and well-paying jobs, and Vesa spends her spare time doting on three grandchildren.

Vesa's incredible story got out to the public when news source SBS News shared the piece on their social media page—but not everyone was impressed.

Some questioned why the news was praising a grandmother for working hard and not taking a day off, implying there was something wrong with taking a sick day or 'working until you drop'.

As one person put it: ‘But if you are sick, it’s also okay to take a sick day. I don’t like the hero-ship for people that never take a day off.’

Other commentators expressed their concern at the idea of normalising the senior workforce.

‘That’s great she’s happy, but I’m seeing more and more people of retirement age forced to stay in or go back to the workforce,’ a third person pointed out.

‘I’ve also seen a lot of media trying to normalise this lately. I hope everyone gets the chance to rest and enjoy their last years in dignity and comfort,’ someone agreed.

There were also defenders of Vesa, praising her for her life’s work and hoping she received a raise.

‘What a noble character,’ one person said while another commented, ‘Hope they gave her a pay rise too!’

As expected, there is a clear divide in opinion on this topic—and with it, a lot of emotion.

A new bill is being introduced to parliament to allow aged and veteran pensioners to earn up to $300 per fortnight before it impacts their pension payments. You can learn more about this new bill here.

Key Takeaways

• Vesela Grujoska, 80, currently works at Sydney’s Central Station as a cleaner and has done so for 50 years, drawing both praise and criticism from the public.
  • She is committed to her job, having missed work only on three Christmas Days, and has never taken a sick day, declaring that working 'kept her young'.
  • Critics have expressed concern, indicating that normalising extensive work years and a lack of breaks is harmful and compromises enjoying life's last years in dignity and comfort.
  • Vesa remains dedicated to her job, planning to work until she is 100 and is commended by others for her hard work.

Members, this may be a controversial subject, but it's certainly one worth discussing. What are your thoughts on seniors and their place in the workforce? Should more people be encouraged to retire—or should they be allowed to continue working if they so choose?

View attachment 32512

Key Takeaways

If a senior is healthy enough and wishes to remain working and is capable, then by all means continue working. Forcing someone into unwanted retirement Is an early death sentence not to mention loss of valuable knowledge/ experience for the employer.

View attachment 32512

Key Takeaways

Each to his own....some people love working so good on them.
Others may prefer to retire and travel etc so good on them too.
Everyone should do what they want.
This lady to me is a hero, worked hard all her life to take care of her family.
A lot of young people could learn from her as some young people don't even want to work !!

It's great she is well enough to continue working at her age but at the same time, there are young people who would like a job. People still working at that age are really taking away jobs from the young ones. Perhaps they should consider volunteer work. Just a thought.

View attachment 32512

Key Takeaways

If VESA works without needing to she is taking a job off someone who needs it to support a family. At her age she should be enjoying retirement and give the job to someone else who needs it.

It's great she is well enough to continue working at her age but at the same time, there are young people who would like a job. People still working at that age are really taking away jobs from the young ones. Perhaps they should consider volunteer work. Just a thought.
Maybe she is lonely ☹️ and just wants company of her work mates ?

But I actually feel this is a little sad apart from her family is work all she has. Is that the love of her life, it is looking like it.

I feel after working that many years you deserve to sleep in , have lazy days or days on adventures.

I was one who worked when sick and didn't take a day off and it wasn't for the money it was so my work place wasn't let down. I would have felt guilty taking a day off . But in the end I saw my bosses didn't respect their workers.

Also after covid it was an eye opener that if you worked sick then you infected others if your illness was a flu.

I think there is more behind this story than meets the eye. Almost like she feels she has to work
You are so right Suzanne! I’ve always felt a bit sad for people who don’t have hobbies. Also for people who think it’s a great to move out of town, isolate themselves from other people and then find as they age that life is rather difficult. This has happened to family members & it has really aged them, including how they think about everything. Their attitude to world events is very narrow. Work alwaygot in the way of my hobbies, now it’s arthritis!

Reactions: Jersey Girl
I worked until nearly 69 and now work at home looking after my disabled husband and enjoying my 2 granddaughters. I really think it is up to the individual depending on their health, type of work etc. The Senior work bonus is good but as other members have said work is not always easy to find when you are over 60. We have a lot of skills and could be teaching and mentoring younger workers. We just have to convince employers of this.

I easily had at least eight months of sick days in the bank when I finished work. I’m sure my employer would have loved that lol. I took sick days when I had to but quite often I wasn’t feeling the best but went to work as it was hard to find a replacement and I didn’t want to let workmates down. I didn’t go if I had anything that might be infectious but I have gone in feeling exhausted or with a bad headache but tbh you don’t get any better thought of for it.

I think it's rather sad that she still has to work at 80, especially being a cleaner. That's damn hard work.
Of course it sets a good example for others, but working for the Govt. would give her enough super if she retired.
Some Govt. sections have a mandatory age retirement limit.

View attachment 32512

Key Takeaways

Good on you Vesa. A lot of people could take a leaf out of your book. I`ve just retired at 74, and do a lot of Volunteer Work now.

Reactions: Leenie
Godd on her, I am 82 and Im a crossing lady in Frankst, been on that job for 32 years, I have always worke, and I wonder if I will be still doing the crossing when I am a 100, good on her, and well done.

Reactions: Leenie