Why is everyone furious at this mum's controversial twist on a classic fairy bread recipe?

When it comes to childhood treats, it's hard to do better than fairy bread—especially at parties!

It's a timeless classic that kids and adults alike rave about, because it's just that yummy.

But recently, a Sydney mum did the unthinkable and tried to put a 'healthy' spin on fairy bread, and let's just say the internet wasn't impressed.

Fatimah Omran caused an uproar last year after replacing its signature 100s and 1000s, topping white bread and butter with desiccated coconut coloured by vegetable juice.

Her recipe did NOT hit the spot—but that didn't stop her from having another crack this year.

Screenshot 2023-11-30 111020.png
Omran created a healthy version of fairy bread that made some people online furious. Image: Facebook

'I owe you all an apology. You're right, what was I thinking about using vegetable juice for fairy bread?' she said on social media.

She then added, ‘I got a Vitamix to blend up real fruits this time.’

The feedback was swift, and the vast majority thought her proposed adaptation didn't even deserve to be called fairy bread.

'Just give her the bloody fairy bread,' one commenter wrote, referring to Fatimah’s daughter’s request for the humble Aussie meal for a party.

Others groaned of her new twist being a ‘disgrace’ and a ‘ruining’ of the beloved treat everyone loves.

Not everyone was quite so harsh though, with a few pointing out that at least it was better than using veggies to colour the topping.

'Honestly kind of nicer than the veg I suppose,' one wrote.

ee9755eda8b817dec2a1a22a5ff94018.jpg
The original fairy bread look! Image: Pinterest

The uproar surrounding this mum's recipe wasn't a shock, considering fairy bread has been part of Australia's food culture since 1929.

‘Fairy bread relates back to ideas of nostalgia, and comfort and happiness,’ Dr Lauren Samuelsson expressed. ‘You don't remember eating fairy bread and thinking, “Aw, I had a really terrible day that day.”’

‘Taking fairy bread out of that nostalgic, child-like fun context turns it into something that people can't get on board with.’

‘Food isn't just about what's on the plate, it's about the memories we have of it,’ she said.

This party favourite has endured over the years thanks to its ties to nostalgia and comfort, something Australians can relate to.

At this point, it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to say that everyone has childhood memories of sitting around with friends or family, smearing our mouths with its signature rainbow of sprinkles as we chatted and laughed.

If you want something fun and packed with flavour, you’re best off sticking to the classic recipe—and there’s no better way to make it than with real 100s and 1000s.

Key Takeaways
  • Last year, Sydney mum Fatimah Omran received immense backlash for creating a 'healthy' version of fairy bread using desiccated coconut coloured by vegetable juice.
  • Omran has made a new adaptation using juice from blended fruits to stain the coconut and sprinkle it over the bread, which was once again largely rejected.
  • The key ingredient in fairy bread, 100s and 1000s, is considered irreplaceable by many due to the nostalgia and happiness associated with consuming it.
  • Fairy bread has been a popular treat at children's parties since 1929.

When it comes to fairy bread and its ingredients, are you a purist or have some twist with it yourself? Let us know in the comments below if you’ve had experience in making one!

Sponsored
When it comes to childhood treats, it's hard to do better than fairy bread—especially at parties!

It's a timeless classic that kids and adults alike rave about, because it's just that yummy.

But recently, a Sydney mum did the unthinkable and tried to put a 'healthy' spin on fairy bread, and let's just say the internet wasn't impressed.

Fatimah Omran caused an uproar last year after replacing its signature 100s and 1000s, topping white bread and butter with desiccated coconut coloured by vegetable juice.

Her recipe did NOT hit the spot—but that didn't stop her from having another crack this year.

View attachment 36225
Omran created a healthy version of fairy bread that made some people online furious. Image: Facebook

'I owe you all an apology. You're right, what was I thinking about using vegetable juice for fairy bread?' she said on social media.

The feedback was swift, and the vast majority thought her proposed adaptation didn't even deserve to be called fairy bread.

'Just give her the bloody fairy bread,' one commenter wrote, referring to Fatimah’s daughter’s request for the humble Aussie meal for a party.

Others groaned of her new twist being a ‘disgrace’ and a ‘ruining’ of the beloved treat everyone loves.

Not everyone was quite so harsh though, with a few pointing out that at least it was better than using veggies to colour the topping.

View attachment 36226

The uproar surrounding this mum's recipe wasn't a shock, considering fairy bread has been part of Australia's food culture since 1929.

‘Fairy bread relates back to ideas of nostalgia, and comfort and happiness,’ Dr Lauren Samuelsson expressed. ‘You don't remember eating fairy bread and thinking, “Aw, I had a really terrible day that day.”’

‘Taking fairy bread out of that nostalgic, child-like fun context turns it into something that people can't get on board with.’

‘Food isn't just about what's on the plate, it's about the memories we have of it,’ she said.

This party favourite has endured over the years thanks to its ties to nostalgia and comfort, something Australians can relate to.

At this point, it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to say that everyone has childhood memories of sitting around with friends or family, smearing our mouths with its signature rainbow of sprinkles as we chatted and laughed.

If you want something fun and packed with flavour, you’re best off sticking to the classic recipe—and there’s no better way to make it than with real 100s and 1000s.

Key Takeaways

• Last year, Sydney mum Fatimah Omran received immense backlash for creating a 'healthy' version of fairy bread using desiccated coconut coloured by vegetable juice.
  • Omran has made a new adaptation using juice from blended fruits to stain the coconut and sprinkle it over the bread, which was once again largely rejected.
  • The key ingredient in fairy bread, 100s and 1000s, is considered irreplaceable by many due to the nostalgia and happiness associated with consuming it.

When it comes to fairy bread and its ingredients, are you a purist or have some twist with it yourself? Let us know in the comments below if you’ve had experience in making one!
Here's how to make that abomination that lady calls healthy 'fairy' bread: (JOKE)
1. Take slice of bread
2. butter bread with whatever healthy garb floats your boat.
3. set bread up in front of a old fan.
4. get some s$h!t, preferably runny. If not runny add water and stir to make runny.
5. Toss at old fan so it will splatter bread.
6. There's your 'healthy' 'fairy' bread

Why? Because that 'Healthy version looks like the $h!t hit the fan onto it! and it is a $h!t recipe.

Now toss in bin, thoroughly clean up and go make it the NORMAL way that generations have loved!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Colette 3799

View attachment 36225

View attachment 36226

Key Takeaways

Got another example of what this looks like - Buttered bread with Salt & Pepper sprinkled on it!
Definitely NOT appetising!

Reactions: Colette 3799
why do people have to change everything in recipes,,,,some of that crap is so 100% unappealing,,,I wouldn't insult my dog by giving it some of the rubbish people expect their kids to eat

I am so sick of people hardly out of nappies telling us how and what to eat. For heaven's sake how did I get to 81 without all these know alls telling us what to eat and how to eat it. I wonder what they would think of eating bread and dripping (especially the bottom of the pot), sweetbreads (cows nuts fried) tripe (lining of sheep stomach). I should have been dead long ago.

View attachment 36225

View attachment 36226

Key Takeaways

When it comes to fairy bread and its ingredients, are you a purist or have some twist with it yourself? Let us know in the comments below if you’ve had experience in making one

View attachment 36225

View attachment 36226

Key Takeaways

It's fairy bread 🍞 wow they might get it one or twice a year at a party 🥳 🎉 🤔 it's not as if they are eating every day for years get over it

Reactions: terri and anouch
being totally honest..There is absolutely no way to changing how FAIRY BREAD is made. ..NO WAY. 🤔🤗😛😉

View attachment 36225

View attachment 36226

Key Takeaways

If you're concerned about the fairy bread being tasteless, just put honey, peanutbutter or Nutella on the bread before sprinkling on the 100s & 1,000s! The kids love it!