SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
The Conversation

The Conversation

Staff member
Jun 15, 2022
Why Has My Home Been Overrun By Pantry Moths And How Do I Get Rid Of Them? An Expert Explains

Has your home recently been overrun by tiny grey moths, flapping erratically around your kitchen? Spotted some suspicious webs in a cereal box? You might be sharing your dried food with pantry moths (Plodia interpunctella).

Although several species of moth can live and breed in our homes, the pantry moth (also known as the “Indian meal moth”) is one of the most commonunwanted moth-guests.

Pantry moths are found on every continent except Antarctica. They feed on rice, grains, flour, pasta, cereals, dried fruits, spices, seeds, nuts and other dried food. Their fondness for dried foods makes them a major pest in food storage facilities.

So how did they get in your house – and what can you do to get rid of them?

‘Large amounts of silk webbing and faeces’​

Like other moths, pantry moths have four distinct life stages: egg, caterpillar, pupae and adult.

The first sign of a pantry moth infestation is often the sight of adult moths flying in an erratic, zig-zag path around our kitchens.

Pantry moth adults have grey-coloured wings with bronze or tan bands near the wing tips.

Although they can be annoying, adult moths do not feed at all. The trouble arises when female moths lay their eggs in or around our food. The tiny eggs hatch into barely visible cream-coloured caterpillars small enough to crawl into poorly sealed food containers. There, they begin to feed.

As they grow, caterpillars produce large amounts of silk webbing and faeces, both of which can contaminate food.

Once a caterpillar reaches its full size, it leaves the food in search of a safe space to make a cocoon, usually a crack, container lid, crevice or corner. Sometimes they turn up in the hinges of a pantry door.

A few weeks later, an adult moth emerges from the cocoon, ready to start the cycle again.

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 18.20.27.png
Have you found suspicious webbing on your dried foods? Shutterstock

How did pantry moths get in my house? And why are they more common lately?​

Unfortunately, it’s likely you brought them home yourself. Although pantry moths can enter via doors and windows, most infestations probably start when we inadvertently bring home eggs and caterpillars in our dried foods.

Kitchens full of unsealed containers and spilled food create an irresistible smorgasbord for female moths looking for the ideal place to lay eggs.

Like many insects, pantry moths develop more quickly at warmer temperatures.

At warmer temperatures, females also lay more eggs and caterpillars are more likely to survive to adulthood.

But prolonged exposure to temperatures above 40℃ are lethal to eggs and caterpillars.

While pantry moths can be found at any time of the year, the warm temperatures of late spring and early summer are often perfect for supporting rapid population growth.

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 18.21.12.png
Most infestations probably start when we inadvertently bring home eggs and caterpillars in our dried foods. Shutterstock

How do I get rid of pantry moths?​

First, eliminate their sources of food. Dry goods should be stored in sealed, airtight containers with tight-fitting lids.

To prevent eggs and caterpillars from hitchhiking in on purchases, place dried foods in the freezer for three to four days; this should kill any eggs and caterpillars that may be present.

If you already have an infestation, carefully inspect all potential food sources including spices, cereals, grains, dry pet foods, pasta, seeds, nuts, tea, dried flowers and dried fruit.

Pantry moth caterpillars are hard to see; look for the silken webbing they produce, which can cause food grains to clump together. These webbed clumps are often more conspicuous than the caterpillars themselves.

Infested foods should either be discarded or placed in the freezer for three to four days to kill eggs and caterpillars.

Clean up and discard any spilled foods on shelves, under toasters or behind storage containers. Even small amounts of food can support thriving caterpillar populations.

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 18.22.41.png
Moth cocoons can be removed from your kitchen cupboards by wiping with a damp cloth or with a vacuum cleaner. Shutterstock

Caterpillars can travel considerable distances to find a safe place to make a cocoon, so make sure to check shelves, walls, crevices and ceilings. Moth cocoons can be removed by wiping with a damp cloth or with a vacuum cleaner.

Cleaning and proper food storage are the best ways to end a pantry moth outbreak. Sticky pantry moth traps are commercially available and can be used to monitor and reduce the moth population.

Pantry moth traps – triangular cardboard covered with a thick sticky glue – are baited with a chemical that mimics the smell of a female pantry moth.

Males are attracted to the trap and become hopelessly stuck to the glue. Since sticky traps only target males, traps are unlikely to stop an outbreak on their own; always use them with proper food storage and careful cleaning.

Insecticide sprays are unlikely to be effective as pantry moth caterpillars and eggs are protected within food containers. Pantry moths are also resistant to a range of insecticides, rendering them ineffective. Insecticides should never be applied on or near food.

What if I ate some pantry moth eggs or larvae?​

While it can be disconcerting to find tiny caterpillars in the cereal you’ve been enjoying all week, accidentally eating pantry moth caterpillars is unlikely to cause any health problems.

Given how common they are in stored food, you’ve probably already unknowingly consumed many moth eggs and larvae.

Thank goodness caterpillars are generally an excellent source of protein!

This article was first published on The Conversation, and was written by Tanya Latty, Associate professor, University of Sydney

That's why I keep everything in containers. Making sure seals are fully closed .

I clean my pantry weekly and empty completely every 2 weeks and wipe shelves, sides and top.

I keep everything in containers then wash n dry before refilling .

Beware of expiry dates. If its something I dont use often I will tape the expiry date either on the bottom or at the back

I also keep half packets that didn't fit in containers in a large container at the bottom of pantry and these packets are closed with a rubber band or plastic bag closures that I have.

I prefer prevention rather than cure 🙂

That's why I keep everything in containers. Making sure seals are fully closed .

I clean my pantry weekly and empty completely every 2 weeks and wipe shelves, sides and top.

Beware of expiry dates. If its something I dont use often I will tape the expiry date either on the bottom or at the back

I also keep half packets that didn't fit in containers in a large container at the bottom of pantry and these packets are closed with a rubber band or plastic bag closures that I have.

You obviously have more time & patience for cleaning than I have. I use the triangular moth traps with great success. I also put a bay leaf in my flour containers & have had no problems with moths in the flour for the past 10 years at least since doing this.

As a property caretaker I have dealt with many pantry moth infestations, successfully.
Allow yourself a few hours to deal with it.
HERE'S HOW TO GET RID OF THEM :
1. Go through everything in the pantry, open every jar and container, every bag, even if it looks clean on the outside because they can hide in the smallest fold. Yes, all of the spice jars and packets too, they are a favourite. You are looking for webbing, anything clumping, moths themselves, or tiny dots in webbing. Toss out anything too far gone, or suspicious, or way past the use by date. Clean/wipe over the rest.
2. Place as many of the bags into sealed containers and jars as possible. The moths can get inside ziplock bags too. At a pinch, I will triple bag items if there are no suitable containers.
3. Label and resort your cupboard into categories, as the previously instantly identifiable packets in the cupboard are now hard to see/find.
TO PREVENT A REINFESTATION :
1. Dip some cotton balls into eucalyptus oil - pantry moths hate it and won't come near. The balls will have to be redipped every couple of days, for a few weeks. Use 1-2 per shelf. Mice hate eucalyptus also, in case you have those as well. Eucalyptus isn't poisonous to us, so its safe near food. Which is all sealed up anyway.
2. Keep the pantry door closed. If you have kids, put a note on the door to keep it closed - inside and out so they'll see it. If there are any moths still around the house, they won't be able to get in.

I do the same, although I don’t clean my pantry out as regularly. Yes, keeping drygoods in Tupperware Modular Mates keeps everything fresh, and ‘use by’ dates taped to the containers is the way to go. Keeps the pantry tidy too.

We're having a moth problem at present .And we are using the the sticky triangular boards at present which are great but as you say it doesen't attract both sexes which is good to know.Thank you for all your advice and tips

Why Has My Home Been Overrun By Pantry Moths And How Do I Get Rid Of Them? An Expert Explains

Has your home recently been overrun by tiny grey moths, flapping erratically around your kitchen? Spotted some suspicious webs in a cereal box? You might be sharing your dried food with pantry moths (Plodia interpunctella).

Although several species of moth can live and breed in our homes, the pantry moth (also known as the “Indian meal moth”) is one of the most commonunwanted moth-guests.

Pantry moths are found on every continent except Antarctica. They feed on rice, grains, flour, pasta, cereals, dried fruits, spices, seeds, nuts and other dried food. Their fondness for dried foods makes them a major pest in food storage facilities.

So how did they get in your house – and what can you do to get rid of them?

‘Large amounts of silk webbing and faeces’​

Like other moths, pantry moths have four distinct life stages: egg, caterpillar, pupae and adult.

The first sign of a pantry moth infestation is often the sight of adult moths flying in an erratic, zig-zag path around our kitchens.

Pantry moth adults have grey-coloured wings with bronze or tan bands near the wing tips.

Although they can be annoying, adult moths do not feed at all. The trouble arises when female moths lay their eggs in or around our food. The tiny eggs hatch into barely visible cream-coloured caterpillars small enough to crawl into poorly sealed food containers. There, they begin to feed.

As they grow, caterpillars produce large amounts of silk webbing and faeces, both of which can contaminate food.

Once a caterpillar reaches its full size, it leaves the food in search of a safe space to make a cocoon, usually a crack, container lid, crevice or corner. Sometimes they turn up in the hinges of a pantry door.

A few weeks later, an adult moth emerges from the cocoon, ready to start the cycle again.

View attachment 6533
Have you found suspicious webbing on your dried foods? Shutterstock

How did pantry moths get in my house? And why are they more common lately?​

Unfortunately, it’s likely you brought them home yourself. Although pantry moths can enter via doors and windows, most infestations probably start when we inadvertently bring home eggs and caterpillars in our dried foods.

Kitchens full of unsealed containers and spilled food create an irresistible smorgasbord for female moths looking for the ideal place to lay eggs.

Like many insects, pantry moths develop more quickly at warmer temperatures.

At warmer temperatures, females also lay more eggs and caterpillars are more likely to survive to adulthood.

But prolonged exposure to temperatures above 40℃ are lethal to eggs and caterpillars.

While pantry moths can be found at any time of the year, the warm temperatures of late spring and early summer are often perfect for supporting rapid population growth.

View attachment 6534
Most infestations probably start when we inadvertently bring home eggs and caterpillars in our dried foods. Shutterstock

How do I get rid of pantry moths?​

First, eliminate their sources of food. Dry goods should be stored in sealed, airtight containers with tight-fitting lids.

To prevent eggs and caterpillars from hitchhiking in on purchases, place dried foods in the freezer for three to four days; this should kill any eggs and caterpillars that may be present.

If you already have an infestation, carefully inspect all potential food sources including spices, cereals, grains, dry pet foods, pasta, seeds, nuts, tea, dried flowers and dried fruit.

Pantry moth caterpillars are hard to see; look for the silken webbing they produce, which can cause food grains to clump together. These webbed clumps are often more conspicuous than the caterpillars themselves.

Infested foods should either be discarded or placed in the freezer for three to four days to kill eggs and caterpillars.

Clean up and discard any spilled foods on shelves, under toasters or behind storage containers. Even small amounts of food can support thriving caterpillar populations.

View attachment 6535
Moth cocoons can be removed from your kitchen cupboards by wiping with a damp cloth or with a vacuum cleaner. Shutterstock

Caterpillars can travel considerable distances to find a safe place to make a cocoon, so make sure to check shelves, walls, crevices and ceilings. Moth cocoons can be removed by wiping with a damp cloth or with a vacuum cleaner.

Cleaning and proper food storage are the best ways to end a pantry moth outbreak. Sticky pantry moth traps are commercially available and can be used to monitor and reduce the moth population.

Pantry moth traps – triangular cardboard covered with a thick sticky glue – are baited with a chemical that mimics the smell of a female pantry moth.

Males are attracted to the trap and become hopelessly stuck to the glue. Since sticky traps only target males, traps are unlikely to stop an outbreak on their own; always use them with proper food storage and careful cleaning.

Insecticide sprays are unlikely to be effective as pantry moth caterpillars and eggs are protected within food containers. Pantry moths are also resistant to a range of insecticides, rendering them ineffective. Insecticides should never be applied on or near food.

What if I ate some pantry moth eggs or larvae?​

While it can be disconcerting to find tiny caterpillars in the cereal you’ve been enjoying all week, accidentally eating pantry moth caterpillars is unlikely to cause any health problems.

Given how common they are in stored food, you’ve probably already unknowingly consumed many moth eggs and larvae.

Thank goodness caterpillars are generally an excellent source of protein!

This article was first published on The Conversation, and was written by Tanya Latty, Associate professor, University of SydneI

Have an open contain with Epsom salts on the top of my pantry have not had any for many years.

Reactions: MC12 and Tervueren
I found they even 'drill' small holes' throught Alfoil into sealed cakes in taped tins! until i now buy large packs of moth balls fron the variety shops. i put 3 or 4 in a use envelope and tape to the sides of the cupard walls or put on every shelf. it is harmless to humans and pets but keeps all insects, spiders, cockroaches etc away. i replace about every 9 months, wen they have desolved.

Many years ago when we lived in NSW we had to throw out all our dried food in the pantry eg. flour, cereals, porridge bread that year there was large hatching of moths everybody in our village had the same problem it took a while for our insurance to pay up but they did

This is my pantry which I will clean on Tuesday.

All my can and unopened jars are kept in my laundry in a built in cupboard I had built for this purpose

I think cleaning regularly doesn't take that long and really keeps away insects

I love the comments above using eucalyptus

Screenshot_20230408-152223_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: Tervueren
I simply tape 2 bay leaves under the lid of my flour, sugar, cornflour etc containers and have never had a problem since. The moths HATE the Bay leaves, and they are cheap and cheerful and do the job. I replace them once a year. I like the idea of Eucalyptus on the cotton balls as well, it would make my Pantry smell nice and solve multiple issues at the same time! Thank you for sharing! X

• Love
Reactions: MindyMac
I found they even 'drill' small holes' throught Alfoil into sealed cakes in taped tins! until i now buy large packs of moth balls fron the variety shops. i put 3 or 4 in a use envelope and tape to the sides of the cupard walls or put on every shelf. it is harmless to humans and pets but keeps all insects, spiders, cockroaches etc away. i replace about every 9 months, wen they have desolved.
Moth balls are poisonous to humans, inhaling the toxic fumes. Moth balls contain a toxic chemical, either naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene. Both become a gas when exposed to air and cause that pungent moth ball smell. Try eucalyptus instead - non-toxic, does the job.

Moth balls are poisonous to humans, inhaling the toxic fumes. Moth balls contain a toxic chemical, either naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene. Both become a gas when exposed to air and cause that pungent moth ball smell. Try eucalyptus instead - non-toxic, does the job.
I hate the smell of moth balls but love the smell of eucalyptus

Reactions: Tervueren and MC12
I am trialling the ultraviolet cones. They certainly work in the bedroom as demonstrated by the absence of moths and mossies and the presence of their skeletons within the gadget

I am trialling the ultraviolet cones. They certainly work in the bedroom as demonstrated by the absence of moths and mossies and the presence of their skeletons within the gadget
Rose I have never heard this device where can you buy them?