Why do some suburbs have ‘posh’ supermarkets?

A trip to the local supermarket is usually a mundane and predictable experience. We know what to expect when we walk in the door and go through the aisles trying to find what we’re looking for.

But some grocery stores like to add a bit of fun and flair when it comes to their shop’s aesthetics and design – just like this IGA store located in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.

Romeo’s IGA Paddington has won the hearts of many Sydneysiders, leaving a similar chain with a little less shine.

It offers an incredible deli, a walk-in booze closet, outdoor seating, and a cooling cheese room. Meanwhile, Lloyd’s IGA in Newtown in the city’s inner west has none of the fancier benefits – just the usual long aisles.

IGA1.jpg
Romeo’s Paddington IGA in Sydney looks ‘posh’ according to some shoppers. Credit: Facebook

The stark difference didn’t go unnoticed by shoppers, sparking somewhat of a debate online about which area in Sydney is superior. However, it seems like the eastern suburbs have just won a point against their inner west rival.

Romeo’s food hall IGA in Paddington offers a sleek and clean look and gives off the impression that it could be used in a romantic comedy movie set. It has a small room dedicated to alcoholic beverages and a whole cheese fridge. There’s even a café so you can treat yourself to some coffee while you’re buying your groceries.

On the other hand, Lloyd’s IGA in Newtown looks more like a typical and traditional supermarket: classic straight aisles, dull lighting, and no fancy extras.

But how can two stores be so different and yet still belong to the same chain?

Well, just like McDonald’s, any owner of an IGA store can buy into the franchise but is allowed to put their own spin on things – they can choose how to design, market, or add more value to their supermarket.

So, while Paddington shoppers are treated to fancier options, Newtown customers don’t even get a deli counter.

IGA2.jpg
Paddington IGA has a clear glass display of their deli items. Credit: Facebook

In 2021, the census found that the average household in Paddington was bringing home $3,131 weekly.

In contrast, households in Newtown brought home an average of $2,325 per week.

One regular customer at Paddington IGA called the store an ‘oasis’ and praised the customer-friendly layout. ‘Everything always looks nice and is so easy to find,’ he stated.

When Lloyd’s IGA’s customers were confronted with photos of the ‘posh’ Paddington store, the reactions were mixed.

One customer claimed that she was happy with Newtown’s IGA.

‘I like it the way it is! We have enough cafes in Newtown,’ she said.

While another shopper claimed they’d happily trade their Newtown IGA for the Paddington store.

‘I’d love a good deli. I find this IGA hard to shop in! You really have to know where everything is,’ he explained.

Another Newtown local explained that they usually shopped at Broadway Harris Farm because they didn’t feel there were enough deli options at Newtown IGA.

She stated: ‘I’d love for this IGA to have more options, but the options here are better than Coles.’

Someone else stated that she’d love to see the Newtown IGA get an upgrade.

‘I work down the road, and I’d love to be able to get a nice lunch here! It’d be nice to get something from the deli that is more interesting,’ the shopper claimed.

But some shoppers were totally uninterested in having a swankier IGA store in Newtown.

One confessed: ‘I don’t think it would be Newtown anymore if there were a Paddington-style IGA here.’

The shopper also added that they were reluctant to shop in a fancier IGA because they were afraid that the change would also mean that the prices of the items sold in the store would likely increase.

But can the layout of a grocery store affect a consumer’s perception of its food quality?

By the looks of it, a well-stocked, hygienic shop is likely to be seen in a positive light with customers likely to be more likely to buy from it.

Additionally, a study claimed that retailers must focus on customer preferences because that factors in their purchasing decisions. A store’s general layout and design, including colour, lighting, music, and sales personnel, are all factors that contribute to their customer’s buying patterns as well.
Key Takeaways
  • Romeo's IGA in Paddington is said to be an 'oasis' complete with a deli, outdoor seating, and a cheese room, in comparison to Lloyd's IGA in Newtown with its traditional aisles.
  • Owners of IGAs can put their own spin on things, which is why Paddington shoppers have access to more quiche and deli options than Newtown.
  • The reactions to the difference between the two stores are mixed, with some Newtown customers being content with the traditional IGA, while others wish for something more.
  • In 2021, it was found that the average household in Paddington was bringing home a weekly income of $3,131 compared to $2,325 in Newtown.
What about you, members? Do you like the traditional aisles you see in your local store or would you like to see some of them get an upgrade? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I'd love to see a well stocked deli, exotic breads, beautiful fresh fruit & vegetables with a meat counter covering from cheaper budget cuts through to better quality cuts. But I live in the real world where our demographic area will usually show us what is available and best value for our dollar. I live in an area that has younger families, older couples, single parents so these are the family groups they try to reach. If I want some special deli item I'll shop a couple of suburbs over where it appears to be mainly young couples both working, retired single folk, empty nester's and these guy's appear on paper to have more disposable income. Like most items you want, if you are able it pays to shop around. Good luck on special hunting!

I know both these areas and they are completely different . Paddington is known for the professionals eg doctors where as Newtown is known for more lots of weird and wonderful people including lots of uni students with Sydney uni just down the road.

I love supermarkets with lots of different things .
Coles in Earlwood nsw is a beautiful store with loads of different self serve foods

Makes shopping a different experience.
images.jpeg-145.jpgimages.jpeg-146.jpg

When I used to actually go to the shops to personally do my shopping I couldn't have cared less what the shop looked like. My aim was to get in, get what I needed and get out again, hopefully with some cash left in my purse. These days I shop online and to be honest the store's layout is of no consequence to me, they all look the same online!! ;)

A trip to the local supermarket is usually a mundane and predictable experience. We know what to expect when we walk in the door and go through the aisles trying to find what we’re looking for.

But some grocery stores like to add a bit of fun and flair when it comes to their shop’s aesthetics and design – just like this IGA store located in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.

Romeo’s IGA Paddington has won the hearts of many Sydneysiders, leaving a similar chain with a little less shine.

It offers an incredible deli, a walk-in booze closet, outdoor seating, and a cooling cheese room. Meanwhile, Lloyd’s IGA in Newtown in the city’s inner west has none of the fancier benefits – just the usual long aisles.

View attachment 15007
Romeo’s Paddington IGA in Sydney looks ‘posh’ according to some shoppers. Credit: Facebook

The stark difference didn’t go unnoticed by shoppers, sparking somewhat of a debate online about which area in Sydney is superior. However, it seems like the eastern suburbs have just won a point against their inner west rival.

Romeo’s food hall IGA in Paddington offers a sleek and clean look and gives off the impression that it could be used in a romantic comedy movie set. It has a small room dedicated to alcoholic beverages and a whole cheese fridge. There’s even a café so you can treat yourself to some coffee while you’re buying your groceries.

On the other hand, Lloyd’s IGA in Newtown looks more like a typical and traditional supermarket: classic straight aisles, dull lighting, and no fancy extras.

But how can two stores be so different and yet still belong to the same chain?

Well, just like McDonald’s, any owner of an IGA store can buy into the franchise but is allowed to put their own spin on things – they can choose how to design, market, or add more value to their supermarket.

So, while Paddington shoppers are treated to fancier options, Newtown customers don’t even get a deli counter.

View attachment 15006
Paddington IGA has a clear glass display of their deli items. Credit: Facebook

In 2021, the census found that the average household in Paddington was bringing home $3,131 weekly.

In contrast, households in Newtown brought home an average of $2,325 per week.

One regular customer at Paddington IGA called the store an ‘oasis’ and praised the customer-friendly layout. ‘Everything always looks nice and is so easy to find,’ he stated.

When Lloyd’s IGA’s customers were confronted with photos of the ‘posh’ Paddington store, the reactions were mixed.

One customer claimed that she was happy with Newtown’s IGA.

‘I like it the way it is! We have enough cafes in Newtown,’ she said.

While another shopper claimed they’d happily trade their Newtown IGA for the Paddington store.

‘I’d love a good deli. I find this IGA hard to shop in! You really have to know where everything is,’ he explained.

Another Newtown local explained that they usually shopped at Broadway Harris Farm because they didn’t feel there were enough deli options at Newtown IGA.

She stated: ‘I’d love for this IGA to have more options, but the options here are better than Coles.’

Someone else stated that she’d love to see the Newtown IGA get an upgrade.

‘I work down the road, and I’d love to be able to get a nice lunch here! It’d be nice to get something from the deli that is more interesting,’ the shopper claimed.

But some shoppers were totally uninterested in having a swankier IGA store in Newtown.

One confessed: ‘I don’t think it would be Newtown anymore if there were a Paddington-style IGA here.’

The shopper also added that they were reluctant to shop in a fancier IGA because they were afraid that the change would also mean that the prices of the items sold in the store would likely increase.

But can the layout of a grocery store affect a consumer’s perception of its food quality?

By the looks of it, a well-stocked, hygienic shop is likely to be seen in a positive light with customers likely to be more likely to buy from it.

Additionally, a study claimed that retailers must focus on customer preferences because that factors in their purchasing decisions. A store’s general layout and design, including colour, lighting, music, and sales personnel, are all factors that contribute to their customer’s buying patterns as well.
Key Takeaways

• Romeo's IGA in Paddington is said to be an 'oasis' complete with a deli, outdoor seating, and a cheese room, in comparison to Lloyd's IGA in Newtown with its traditional aisles.
  • Owners of IGAs can put their own spin on things, which is why Paddington shoppers have access to more quiche and deli options than Newtown.
  • The reactions to the difference between the two stores are mixed, with some Newtown customers being content with the traditional IGA, while others wish for something more.
  • In 2021, it was found that the average household in Paddington was bringing home a weekly income of $3,131 compared to $2,325 in Newtown.
What about you, members? Do you like the traditional aisles you see in your local store or would you like to see some of them get an upgrade? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
I shop at both IGAs: Paddington was an eye opener for an IGA when it opened quite a few years ago , a long time before the pandemic, and you still find a beautiful array of goods you do not find at the one in Newtown. However I still like the simplicity, down to earth, of the one in Newtown (btw I go to either of them once a week on my way back from Paddington, it depends on my whim on the day '-)).
They had something similar in Cronulla, one upmarket on one end, a down to earth at the other (have not been in that area since 2020...nothing to do with pandemic)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
A little like the Supabarn stores (limited outlets) in Sydney and Canberra. They have some unusual produce that they also sell.

Reactions: Ricci