Why did Qantas forcibly remove a 78-year-old Vietnam Veteran from business class?

It has been reported that Qantas forced an elderly gentleman out of business class and into economy for a flight from Melbourne to Adelaide recently.

Stephen Roy Jones, a 78-year-old former combat veteran, had already paid for a comfy, spacious business class seat but instead found himself cramped at the back of the plane in economy.

He and his wife were travelling back to Adelaide from the majestic landscapes of New Zealand when their peaceful journey was suddenly marred by this incident during a stopover at Melbourne.

According to Mr Jones, they were in the Business Lounge, savouring their coffees, when they received a startling intercom call.

The Qantas employee said, 'I've got some bad news for you, you've been bumped,’ he recounted to Melbourne radio station 3AW.

Mr Jones explained that it didn’t register at first, considering he wasn’t sure what ‘bumped’ meant.

shutterstock_543095401.jpg
Qantas 'bumped' Mr Jones from Business class to economy for a Qantas staff member. Image source: Shutterstock.

The Qantas employee then went on to explain, 'I have to reissue your ticket for economy class, we have a tech who's flying to Adelaide, and his contract states that he must fly business class.'

'Bumped' from business to economy after you’ve already paid a business class fare? Sounds like the stuff of nightmares to us.

Mr Jones went on to say that the Qantas employee, now the occupant of Mr Jones' seat, chose not to engage in conversation with Mrs Jones, even though the employee knew Mr Jones had been what Qantas referred to as ‘involuntarily downgraded’.

As a result, Mr Jones penned a strongly worded letter to Qantas. In response, the airline offered him 5,000 airline points as a 'goodwill gesture'. Now, he didn't think this was a fair way to express 'goodwill', given that his payment had secured a business class seat, not a measly corner in economy class.

'The minute you take that (downgraded) leg, your claim for compensation reduces to almost nil,' stated Mr Lawrence, a lawyer who's evidently well-versed in the slippery terms and conditions of air travel.

He suggested that any disgruntled business or first-class passenger who finds themselves ‘involuntarily’ downgraded should decline to fly that particular leg in order to maintain a stronger case for compensation.

Qantas did apologise to Mr Jones and refunded half his business class fare in the end. They also clarified that the Qantas employee was not a tech but a pilot who had taken Mr Jones' seat.

Mr Lawrence explained that 'as part of their enterprise agreement, pilots that are flying to another city to then operate flights are to be provided with a seat in business class'. Explaining further, he said, 'This is just standard operating procedure from the point of view of the airline - not just Qantas, they all do it.'

As strange as it sounds, 'involuntary downgrading' is clearly a common phenomenon in the world of airlines, not just confined to Qantas. It makes us question — Has this ever happened to you before?

Key Takeaways

• A 78-year-old Vietnam veteran was downgraded from business class to economy on a Qantas flight to make room for an employee.
  • The veteran, Stephen Jones, was informed of the change at a Melbourne stopover during his return flight from New Zealand with his wife.
  • Qantas responded to Jones' complaint by offering him 5,000 airline points, which he refused, and later refunded half his business class fare for the Melbourne to Adelaide flight upon his story being mentioned on radio station 3AW.
  • Lawyer Justin Lawrence explained that airlines can downgrade passengers due to their terms of carriage, warning passengers not to accept the downgrade if they wish to make a successful claim for compensation.

The moral of the story? Scrutinise the fine print on your ticket before flying and ensure you fully understand the terms and conditions. Do your research and select an airline with a reputation for prioritising customer satisfaction.

What do you think of this story, members? We’d be very interested to read your thoughts below!

Sponsored
Doesn't surprise me re Qantas. Alan Joyce's legacy of arrogance and don't care about customers lives on! I have had the same and much worse done to me over the years by Qantas. Still feel so sorry for the gentleman and his wife. So, he had to fly not sitting beside his wife? Shame on you Qantas!

And about the pilot? While I understand he was entitled due to his contract, did he feel anything for what was done to the couple, who actually paid the exorbitant extra cost, and then had to fight to get some sort of half-decent compensation for such shabby treatment?

And the rules re compensation! Clearly nothing to do with what is fair and just. So, you have to forego your flight, upsetting whatever other plans you had, and pay for another flight? Do you get reimbursed for that flight? Never mind the stress the situation causes. Not good enough.

It has been reported that Qantas forced an elderly gentleman out of business class and into economy for a flight from Melbourne to Adelaide recently.

Stephen Roy Jones, a 78-year-old former combat veteran, had already paid for a comfy, spacious business class seat but instead found himself cramped at the back of the plane in economy.

He and his wife were travelling back to Adelaide from the majestic landscapes of New Zealand when their peaceful journey was suddenly marred by this incident during a stopover at Melbourne.

According to Mr Jones, they were in the Business Lounge, savouring their coffees, when they received a startling intercom call.

The Qantas employee said, 'I've got some bad news for you, you've been bumped,’ he recounted to Melbourne radio station 3AW.

Mr Jones explained that it didn’t register at first, considering he wasn’t sure what ‘bumped’ meant.

View attachment 29199
Qantas 'bumped' Mr Jones from Business class to economy for a Qantas staff member. Image source: Shutterstock.

The Qantas employee then went on to explain, 'I have to reissue your ticket for economy class, we have a tech who's flying to Adelaide, and his contract states that he must fly business class.'

'Bumped' from business to economy after you’ve already paid a business class fare? Sounds like the stuff of nightmares to us.

Mr Jones went on to say that the Qantas employee, now the occupant of Mr Jones' seat, chose not to engage in conversation with Mrs Jones, even though the employee knew Mr Jones had been what Qantas referred to as ‘involuntarily downgraded’.

As a result, Mr Jones penned a strongly worded letter to Qantas. In response, the airline offered him 5,000 airline points as a 'goodwill gesture'. Now, he didn't think this was a fair way to express 'goodwill', given that his payment had secured a business class seat, not a measly corner in economy class.

'The minute you take that (downgraded) leg, your claim for compensation reduces to almost nil,' stated Mr Lawrence, a lawyer who's evidently well-versed in the slippery terms and conditions of air travel.

He suggested that any disgruntled business or first-class passenger who finds themselves ‘involuntarily’ downgraded should decline to fly that particular leg in order to maintain a stronger case for compensation.

Qantas did apologise to Mr Jones and refunded half his business class fare in the end. They also clarified that the Qantas employee was not a tech but a pilot who had taken Mr Jones' seat.

Mr Lawrence explained that 'as part of their enterprise agreement, pilots that are flying to another city to then operate flights are to be provided with a seat in business class'. Explaining further, he said, 'This is just standard operating procedure from the point of view of the airline - not just Qantas, they all do it.'

As strange as it sounds, 'involuntary downgrading' is clearly a common phenomenon in the world of airlines, not just confined to Qantas. It makes us question — Has this ever happened to you before?

Key Takeaways

• A 78-year-old Vietnam veteran was downgraded from business class to economy on a Qantas flight to make room for an employee.
  • The veteran, Stephen Jones, was informed of the change at a Melbourne stopover during his return flight from New Zealand with his wife.
  • Qantas responded to Jones' complaint by offering him 5,000 airline points, which he refused, and later refunded half his business class fare for the Melbourne to Adelaide flight upon his story being mentioned on radio station 3AW.
  • Lawyer Justin Lawrence explained that airlines can downgrade passengers due to their terms of carriage, warning passengers not to accept the downgrade if they wish to make a successful claim for compensation.

The moral of the story? Scrutinise the fine print on your ticket before flying and ensure you fully understand the terms and conditions. Do your research and select an airline with a reputation for prioritising customer satisfaction.

What do you think of this story, members? We’d be very interested to read your thoughts below!
Why him in particula? Why not someone else in business class?

View attachment 29199

Key Takeaways

I think it is disgusting. I am sorry for this having been done to him. I think he should be given a free flight in Business Class together with a great big apology. Many years ago I went to Los Angeles and my seat was broken. The hostess said she could do nothing about it. Eventually said I could sleep in Business Clasd but I could not have anything else in there. Also on wakening I was ushered straight back to my broken seat where my daughter was and could not eat in business class.
I wish I had taken action then about what had happened.

This is just disgusting. I don't think much of the so called pilot, taking somebody's astronomically priced seat. To hell with his "right" why can't he sit in economy, if there are no available business class seats.Why should you have to refuse to fly in order to have a better case to claim compensation. The law is ridiculous. I also think that leg of the journey should have been compensated in FULL, he didn't get what he paid for
and was forced to travel in an uncomfortable economy seat for which he should be compensated.

A month ago I booked tickets on Qantas to fly overseas. I am now getting worried after all this going on. I was wanting to support our Aussie airline but now thinking wrong choice. Hope all improves by June next year.

Reactions: Netcakes

View attachment 29199

Key Takeaways

I am finished with QANTAS. The airline was started by to retired air force pilots, who wanted to provide cheap affordable travel for EVERYONE..... Well, that's a joke now... It's all about billion dollar profits, now.
Plus, wrapping their planes in the YES vote advertising..makes my blood boil.
Give me VIRGIN and NEXUX, from now on..... And any other cheap option airlines.

I am finished with QANTAS. The airline was started by to retired air force pilots, who wanted to provide cheap affordable travel for EVERYONE..... Well, that's a joke now... It's all about billion dollar profits, now.
Plus, wrapping their planes in the YES vote advertising..makes my blood boil.
Give me VIRGIN and NEXUX, from now on..... And any other cheap option airlines.
#two

View attachment 29199

Key Takeaways

Very disappointing that airlines can do these things. Now that there is a new CEO she should change these things and start fresh. We were Ansett flyers and never ever had problems.

Qantas- the lying kangeroo is very corrupt and getting worse
Everyone should boycott the lying kangeroo qantas
Good luck with that, they virtually have a monopoly, Virgin doesn't fly to as many destination as Qantarse. They don't have the greatest track record for looking after their staff, this make a change. Equally, the reference to 'veteran' is not part of the vernacular of this country, it's just something that the politicians have recently started to use as a brown nose to for service personnel. The general practice was 'staff' get bumped not the paying passenger. Interesting, like to know reason why this particular guy was singled out, frequent flyers with high status levels would never be 'bumped' only those that save for a particular trip of a lifetime. Having said that, a flight less than 1 hours isn't that great an issue, if he'd have been bumped from NZ all the way then it would be worth hearing about. About the only thing that Qantarse has achieved of late is the early departure of Joyce, not their scheduled flights.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harro1948

View attachment 29199

Key Takeaways

Disgusting and disgraceful behaviour by QANTAS. It seems that employee contracts and agreements overrule customer contracts and agreements.

I have news for you QANTAS....without customers you have no business.

Looking after your employees is so important to a successful business....but not at the expense of your customers, who pay your bills.

Grow a (business) brain!