Why are shoppers so invested in this in-store cafe video?

It’s nice to reminisce about the good ol’ days, eh? It was a time when things were much simpler.

Perhaps that’s why there has been an influx of nostalgic shoppers calling on Kmart to bring back a once-popular eatery. This comes after a video of the retailer’s iconic cafe surfaced, sending loyal fans into a frenzy.

Kmart customers are begging the retailer to bring back its ‘iconic’ in-store cafes. This comes after a video from TikTok user @australianafarmer went viral, showing rare or little-known photos of Holly’s cafes and prompting an influx of responses from nostalgic shoppers.

In the 80s, 90s, and 00s – long before self-serve checkouts, minimalist décor, and affordable dupes were introduced – Holly’s cafes were a popular feature in Kmart stores across Australia.

Customers would stop by and enjoy a cup of coffee and cake, hot chips with gravy, and jelly cups, before or after their weekly shop.

holly1.jpg
The old photos of Holly’s cafe brought back a wave of nostalgia for shoppers. Credit: Old Shops Australia/Facebook

The video shared a detailed insight into the cafe’s layout, which captured the attention of thousands of viewers.

‘It was made up of four cafeterias and snack corners, depending on the size and location of the particular Kmart store,’ the voiceover said in the clip.

It continued: ‘Holly’s staff were required to wear a different uniform to the Kmart employees.’ It also said that cafe staff wore an apricot shirt and a navy skirt.

A former employee at Holly’s cafe also revealed that staff were paid in the evenings and used the term ‘pay night’ instead of ‘payday’.

Some of its signature dishes included the ‘super burger’, roast beef, toasted sandwiches, chicken nuggets, and milkshakes.

However, starting from the late 1980s, the cafes were consistently shutting their doors, with the last Holly’s cafe at the Horsham store in western Victoria closing on July 25, 2010.

You can watch the video below:

Many Kmart fans flooded the comments section with demands to ‘bring back’ the iconic in-store eateries.

‘I worked at Holly’s, I loved it. So upset when they closed it. BRING BACK HOLLY’S,’ one customer wrote.

‘So many great memories at the Pacific Fair Holly’s. [Does] anyone remember the TV and jingle?’ Another responded.

Another former Kmart staff recalled their experience when Holly’s was still in operation. They said they’d often buy the chips and gravy to take home for lunch before claiming that Holly’s was ‘the best’.

‘Honestly, bring it back,’ someone else shared.

Others suggested that bringing back the classic eatery would introduce more earnings for the retail giant.

‘I think if they reopen the cafes for the 24-hour Kmarts, it would go off. Where else do you go at 1 AM, and you’re bored?’ They suggested before adding that this could even introduce new competition for Macca’s.

Someone else remarked that people needed ‘some cheap places to eat again’.

Said a third: ‘With how popular Kmart has been again for the last few years or so – this cafe would make a killing.’

Someone else asked why retailers stopped putting cafes in stores.

In a similar instance, social media users from Reddit also shared their nostalgic moments and memories in Holly’s cafe.

‘Ah, those were the days. Those chips were a kid’s dream!’ One user wrote while another added: ‘Chicken schnitty chips and gravy, then asking my mum for the milk froth from her cappuccino…’

‘Aww, makes me think of Saturday morning shopping trips with my Nan back in the 80s. Going to Kmart for a new Hot Wheels car and then hotdogs and chips at Holly’s,’ another commented.

Someone else replied: ‘Crumbed Sausages with my grandparents when I was a kid, the best part of the shopping trip. Our local Kmart still has a big lowered part of the ceiling up the back where I assume it’s hiding the range hoods.’ You can read more about this here.

In a previous interview for Kmart’s 50th anniversary, a Kmart spokesperson declined to comment on whether Holly’s cafe will return to stores. However, they did thank shoppers for being a part of the retailer’s journey for five decades.

‘'Holly’s Cafe forms an iconic chapter in our last 50 years with many of our current and past team members, as well as customers shopping, dining and creating many lifelong memories and friendship in the store,’ they stated.
Key Takeaways

• A new video has reignited calls for Kmart to bring back its iconic Holly's cafes in stores across Australia.
  • The popular cafes were an institution for Kmart shoppers during the 80s, 90s, and 00s, with millions flocking to buy its most popular menu items – chips with gravy, as well as jelly cups.
  • Many Kmart lovers flooded social media with demands to 'bring back' the in-store eateries, believing that an affordable Kmart eatery would 'make an absolute killing' in the current economic climate.
  • Kmart phased out the popular cafes in July 2010, but no comment has been provided by Kmart on the possibility of their return.
We want to know what you think, too! Should Kmart bring back the popular cafe? Share your opinions in the comments below!

Sponsored
I've never seen a Cafe in kmart before well not in any Sydney stores .

I do remember them being in woolworths and Coles in the city, Hurstville and Bankstown.

I would love to see a Cafe in kmart
I used to take my kids sometimes as a treat when doing 'late-night shopping' in the early 1980s.

Reactions: Ricci
Couldn't help noticing that one of the women in the photo was holding a cigarette! Not something you would see these days.

It’s nice to reminisce about the good ol’ days, eh? It was a time when things were much simpler.

Perhaps that’s why there has been an influx of nostalgic shoppers calling on Kmart to bring back a once-popular eatery. This comes after a video of the retailer’s iconic cafe surfaced, sending loyal fans into a frenzy.

Kmart customers are begging the retailer to bring back its ‘iconic’ in-store cafes. This comes after a video from TikTok user @australianafarmer went viral, showing rare or little-known photos of Holly’s cafes and prompting an influx of responses from nostalgic shoppers.

In the 80s, 90s, and 00s – long before self-serve checkouts, minimalist décor, and affordable dupes were introduced – Holly’s cafes were a popular feature in Kmart stores across Australia.

Customers would stop by and enjoy a cup of coffee and cake, hot chips with gravy, and jelly cups, before or after their weekly shop.

View attachment 16906
The old photos of Holly’s cafe brought back a wave of nostalgia for shoppers. Credit: Old Shops Australia/Facebook

The video shared a detailed insight into the cafe’s layout, which captured the attention of thousands of viewers.

‘It was made up of four cafeterias and snack corners, depending on the size and location of the particular Kmart store,’ the voiceover said in the clip.

It continued: ‘Holly’s staff were required to wear a different uniform to the Kmart employees.’ It also said that cafe staff wore an apricot shirt and a navy skirt.

A former employee at Holly’s cafe also revealed that staff were paid in the evenings and used the term ‘pay night’ instead of ‘payday’.

Some of its signature dishes included the ‘super burger’, roast beef, toasted sandwiches, chicken nuggets, and milkshakes.

However, starting from the late 1980s, the cafes were consistently shutting their doors, with the last Holly’s cafe at the Horsham store in western Victoria closing on July 25, 2010.

Many Kmart fans flooded the comments section with demands to ‘bring back’ the iconic in-store eateries.

‘I worked at Holly’s, I loved it. So upset when they closed it. BRING BACK HOLLY’S,’ one customer wrote.

‘So many great memories at the Pacific Fair Holly’s. [Does] anyone remember the TV and jingle?’ Another responded.

Another former Kmart staff recalled their experience when Holly’s was still in operation. They said they’d often buy the chips and gravy to take home for lunch before claiming that Holly’s was ‘the best’.

Others suggested that bringing back the classic eatery would introduce more earnings for the retail giant.

‘I think if they reopen the cafes for the 24-hour Kmarts, it would go off. Where else do you go at 1 AM, and you’re bored?’ They suggested before adding that this could even introduce new competition for Macca’s.

Said a third: ‘With how popular Kmart has been again for the last few years or so – this cafe would make a killing.’

In a similar instance, social media users from Reddit also shared their nostalgic moments and memories in Holly’s cafe.

‘Ah, those were the days. Those chips were a kid’s dream!’ One user wrote while another added: ‘Chicken schnitty chips and gravy, then asking my mum for the milk froth from her cappuccino…’

‘Aww, makes me think of Saturday morning shopping trips with my Nan back in the 80s. Going to Kmart for a new Hot Wheels car and then hotdogs and chips at Holly’s,’ another commented.

Someone else replied: ‘Crumbed Sausages with my grandparents when I was a kid, the best part of the shopping trip. Our local Kmart still has a big lowered part of the ceiling up the back where I assume it’s hiding the range hoods.’ You can read more about this here.

In a previous interview for Kmart’s 50th anniversary, a Kmart spokesperson declined to comment on whether Holly’s cafe will return to stores. However, they did thank shoppers for being a part of the retailer’s journey for five decades.

‘'Holly’s Cafe forms an iconic chapter in our last 50 years with many of our current and past team members, as well as customers shopping, dining and creating many lifelong memories and friendship in the store,’ they stated.
Key Takeaways

• A new video has reignited calls for Kmart to bring back its iconic Holly's cafes in stores across Australia.
  • The popular cafes were an institution for Kmart shoppers during the 80s, 90s, and 00s, with millions flocking to buy its most popular menu items – chips with gravy, as well as jelly cups.
  • Many Kmart lovers flooded social media with demands to 'bring back' the in-store eateries, believing that an affordable Kmart eatery would 'make an absolute killing' in the current economic climate.
  • Kmart phased out the popular cafes in July 2010, but no comment has been provided by Kmart on the possibility of their return.
We want to know what you think, too! Should Kmart bring back the popular cafe? Share your opinions in the comments below!

View attachment 16906

Key Takeaways

We would use the Holly's Cafe at our local KMart here in Western Australia almost every time we visited the store in the early 1980's and it was a real treat for the kids when they were young.

Not so long ago our nearest Target introduced an in-store Cafe that appeared to be well patronised, and we would frequent it on most visits to that particular shopping centre, despite the many available alternatives, but sadly it was short lived.

I say bring back the in-store cafe/cafeteria - my family will most certainly patronise them .....

I well remember Holly’s cafe in K-mart in the late eighties/early nineties. I used it every Friday when I did my weekly shop. I can’t remember when they closed. I would love to see it come back.

Reactions: Geophph and Ricci
Couldn't help noticing that one of the women in the photo was holding a cigarette! Not something you would see these days.
I use to love K-mart's cafe, always stopped with kids for something to eat and to have a smoke too!!lol

I recall my disappointment when Holly's was closed in the Katoomba K-Mart many years ago. It was such a good place for a quick coffee or snack at reasonable prices for those who were not always able to frequent the more trendy local cafes. Why did they close? I never did find out as they were so popular in a small town (pro rata) when K-Mart was the largest store.

View attachment 16906

Key Takeaways

We used to go to Holly's in Horsham. They had the best seafood wraps ever. Great memories.

Fairfield West in Sydney had a Hollys and when shopping on Thursday nights we would take the kids there for dinner. And I remember smoking in restaurants back then as well, and no one would even think to light up inside these days, thank goodness we have come around to some sensibility.

Never saw or heard of Holly’s in any Kmart near where I lived. I do remember the cafeterias in Coles and David Jones stores in Newcastle, they were good quality meals and snacks at reasonable prices. I used to take my children to Newcastle by train when they were young, to the beach or cinema and shopping. We always went to one of these cafeterias for our lunch.

I think there are enough cafes around these big stores and in shopping centres, that another inside Kmart seems pointless to me. With the eating habits of this generation, Kmart would not only have to return moved items to their correct place, but also clear up the mess made by having food in their stores too. Not woth it for Kmart to do I would imagine.