Why are retirees turning to share houses?

As we grow older, most of us hope to enjoy our time in the comfort of our own homes.

But as house prices continue to rise across Australia, retirees are increasingly finding themselves locked out of the rental market.

Now, there’s a concerning trend in Australian cities: more retirees are finding themselves having to live with strangers just to keep a roof over their heads.

As housing costs surge once more and the search for a rental property turns into a real challenge, a significant shift is reshaping the Australian living scene.

Recent data on households also revealed a noteworthy resurgence of beloved Aussie share houses.

The sheer number of share houses is experiencing a sudden rise, marking a considerable trend and signifying a significant transformation in the very essence of the share house experience.

windowsill-3265259_1280.jpg
Aussie retirees turning to share houses as super runs out. Image source: Pixabay

Before, having a share house next door was a bit of a headache for everyone. But now, it might not be all that bad.

In the chart below, a noticeable increase in the number of group households in Australia can be seen, especially since rents started rising in 2021-22.

0caff4b0-776e-11ee-a37f-7a5b9be678ce.png
Group households in Australia have surged significantly since rents skyrocketed in 2021-22. Data source: ABS. Image source: @jasemurphy for Yahoo Finance Australia

Over the last two decades, the dynamics of share houses have undergone significant changes.

The presence of young students in share houses has decreased by 20 per cent, while individuals aged over 65 sharing a house have surged by 93 per cent, as shown in the following chart.

0cb524d0-776e-11ee-bf5f-73a933eff295.png
Young students in share houses dropped by 20 per cent, while individuals aged over 65 sharing a house increased by 93 per cent, as depicted in the chart. Data source: ABS. Image source: @jasemurphy for Yahoo Finance Australia

The increase in retirement-age Aussies in share houses has been so substantial that it’s nearly on par with the number of students.

However, this trend is indicative of a housing shortage.

Older Aussies aren’t opting for share houses to relive their youthful days. Instead, it’s a response to dwindling superannuation funds and the pension falling short to cover rent.

On the other hand, young people aren’t necessarily living independently; many are still residing with their parents.

Queensland has the highest proportion of older individuals choosing share houses, fueled partly by a notable increase in average rents for Brisbane homes—from $431 weekly in January 2020 to $635 a week in October 2023.

The state’s popularity among both Aussies and foreigners has intensified the pressure on its rental system.

For many facing financial constraints, the decision to live in a share house has become a practical one.

The increase in rent, along with rising expenses for groceries, bills, and fuel, has made sharing living spaces a sensible financial choice.

Pensions have seen inflation-adjusted increases during the pandemic, with a full pension for a single person now just under $1,100 per fortnight.

However, this may not be sufficient for those living alone, prompting consideration of sharing living spaces to manage costs.

Data also indicated a decline in average household size since 2005, dropping from 2.6 to 2.5 people.

This trend aligns with the extensive construction of one-bedroom apartments, fueling a significant rise in solo living—the fastest-growing household category.

0cb069e0-776e-11ee-bff2-fa4ca9d5f8ac.png
The chart indicates a recent shift where living alone surpasses the nuclear family in popularity. Data source: ABS. Image source: @jasemurphy for Yahoo Finance Australia

The chart above shows a shift in where living alone has become more popular in recent years.

This change raises concerns for the Reserve Bank, which closely monitors the number of people per household as a key factor in managing population growth without resorting to an unsustainable building boom.

In a previous story from August, we featured Rachelle Chilcott, a pensioner from Brisbane, who grappled with finding affordable housing.

However, she transformed her situation by living in adopting the concept of a share house.

Now, Rachelle enjoys comfortable living at $250 per week, inclusive of water, electricity, and internet. For more details, read the full story here.

Key Takeaways

• There has been a sharp increase in the number of group households or share houses in Australia due to soaring rental prices.
  • The demographic of share houses has changed over the past 20 years, with a 20 per cent decrease in young students and a 93 per cent increase in people over 65.
  • Older Australians are being forced into share houses as their superannuation funds dry up and the pension fails to cover rent.
Members, how do you feel about living in a share house? Write your views in the comments below!

Reactions: Bayley and RTS
Sponsored
My mother is renting her house and shares with my 58 year old brother. I'm not sure what he will do if she passes away.

I'm glad I own my house after a lot of hard work and going without . I remember a lot of my friends were going on yearly overseas holidays and buying expensive cars and telling us we should be living our lives and not worrying about a mortgage , and who knows if we will even be here tomorrow. Well we did live our lives , instead of overseas holidays our holidays were either down the coast or up the coast and we didn't need the cars our friends had

Now our friends are either still renting or still paying their houses off and I'm so glad that we didn't follow the Jone's.

I do live for today but I also live for tomorrow.

Last edited:
I do feel sorry for older people these days who are paying rent, I don't know how they manage
I agree with Suzanne Rose re people who didn't take the opportunity of home ownership, years ago, when it was actually a possibility for anyone who wanted it. Homes were relatively cheap, compared to wages,
and work was abundant.
I also have friends who chose to live the high life, and now complain that it's unfair they have to rent. One even told me I was lucky I had my own home. It had nothing to do with luck, while she was flitting around the world, dining out continuously, etc, I was working my butt off to get my own home.
It's called life choices. It's now my turn to flit off when I want with the comfort of my own home to come back to.
Obviously, I realise some people have had adversity in their lives that see them now in unfortunate circumstances.

GOV. SHOULD HAVE BUILT LOW RENTAL VILLAGES FOR THE AGING POPULATION {MYSELF AND WIFE INCLUDED} AS THEY ARE MAINLY ONE BEDROOM WE NEED 2 BEDROOM AS WE NOW SLEEP IN SEPERATE ROOMS {MEDICAL CONDITIONS}.WE ARE LUCKY WE LIVE 10KLM FROM NEAREST TOWN ON PROPERTY BUT DOCTOR WANTS US TO MOVE CLOSER TO TOWN BUT NO CHEAPER GOV RENTALS UNFORTUANATELY WE LOST ALL WITH THE KEATING 19% INTEREST RESESSION WE DID NOT HAVE TO HAVE. I FEEL FOR THE YOUNG ONES THAT HAVE A TO FIND 2 AND 3 THOUSAND A MONTH TO PAY THEM TODAY

Reactions: Babbie
My mother is renting her house and shares with my 58 year old brother. I'm not sure what he will do if she passes away.

I'm glad I own my house after a lot of hard work and going without . I remember a lot of my friends were going on yearly overseas holidays and buying expensive cars and telling us we should be living our lives and not worrying about a mortgage , and who knows if we will even be here tomorrow. Well we did live our lives , instead of overseas holidays our holidays were either down the coast or up the coast and we didn't need the cars our friends had

Now our friends are either still renting or still paying their houses off and I'm so glad that we didn't follow the Jone's.

I do live for today but I also live for tomorrow.
This sounds exactly the same as me and my wife our first house was just a 2 bedroom with sheets up at the windows for a year and as you said no big holidays just local for many years but now in our retirement we can help our kids to get ahead and we have been overseas

As we grow older, most of us hope to enjoy our time in the comfort of our own homes.

But as house prices continue to rise across Australia, retirees are increasingly finding themselves locked out of the rental market.

Now, there’s a concerning trend in Australian cities: more retirees are finding themselves having to live with strangers just to keep a roof over their heads.

As housing costs surge once more and the search for a rental property turns into a real challenge, a significant shift is reshaping the Australian living scene.

Recent data on households also revealed a noteworthy resurgence of beloved Aussie share houses.

The sheer number of share houses is experiencing a sudden rise, marking a considerable trend and signifying a significant transformation in the very essence of the share house experience.

View attachment 33597
Aussie retirees turning to share houses as super runs out. Image source: Pixabay

Before, having a share house next door was a bit of a headache for everyone. But now, it might not be all that bad.

In the chart below, a noticeable increase in the number of group households in Australia can be seen, especially since rents started rising in 2021-22.

View attachment 33594
Group households in Australia have surged significantly since rents skyrocketed in 2021-22. Data source: ABS. Image source: @jasemurphy for Yahoo Finance Australia

Over the last two decades, the dynamics of share houses have undergone significant changes.

The presence of young students in share houses has decreased by 20 per cent, while individuals aged over 65 sharing a house have surged by 93 per cent, as shown in the following chart.

View attachment 33596
Young students in share houses dropped by 20 per cent, while individuals aged over 65 sharing a house increased by 93 per cent, as depicted in the chart. Data source: ABS. Image source: @jasemurphy for Yahoo Finance Australia

The increase in retirement-age Aussies in share houses has been so substantial that it’s nearly on par with the number of students.

However, this trend is indicative of a housing shortage.

Older Aussies aren’t opting for share houses to relive their youthful days. Instead, it’s a response to dwindling superannuation funds and the pension falling short to cover rent.

On the other hand, young people aren’t necessarily living independently; many are still residing with their parents.

Queensland has the highest proportion of older individuals choosing share houses, fueled partly by a notable increase in average rents for Brisbane homes—from $431 weekly in January 2020 to $635 a week in October 2023.

The state’s popularity among both Aussies and foreigners has intensified the pressure on its rental system.

For many facing financial constraints, the decision to live in a share house has become a practical one.

The increase in rent, along with rising expenses for groceries, bills, and fuel, has made sharing living spaces a sensible financial choice.

Pensions have seen inflation-adjusted increases during the pandemic, with a full pension for a single person now just under $1,100 per fortnight.

However, this may not be sufficient for those living alone, prompting consideration of sharing living spaces to manage costs.

Data also indicated a decline in average household size since 2005, dropping from 2.6 to 2.5 people.

This trend aligns with the extensive construction of one-bedroom apartments, fueling a significant rise in solo living—the fastest-growing household category.

View attachment 33595
The chart indicates a recent shift where living alone surpasses the nuclear family in popularity. Data source: ABS. Image source: @jasemurphy for Yahoo Finance Australia

The chart above shows a shift in where living alone has become more popular in recent years.

This change raises concerns for the Reserve Bank, which closely monitors the number of people per household as a key factor in managing population growth without resorting to an unsustainable building boom.

In a previous story from August, we featured Rachelle Chilcott, a pensioner from Brisbane, who grappled with finding affordable housing.

However, she transformed her situation by living in adopting the concept of a share house.

Now, Rachelle enjoys comfortable living at $250 per week, inclusive of water, electricity, and internet. For more details, read the full story here.

Key Takeaways

• There has been a sharp increase in the number of group households or share houses in Australia due to soaring rental prices.
  • The demographic of share houses has changed over the past 20 years, with a 20 per cent decrease in young students and a 93 per cent increase in people over 65.
  • Older Australians are being forced into share houses as their superannuation funds dry up and the pension fails to cover rent.
Members, how do you feel about living in a share house? Write your views in the comments below!

As a aged pensioner with no other income we are being squeezed from every direction possible. No one cares about the elderly anymore. If it wasn't for our hard work Australia wouldn't be as good as it is.