Why are home renovators going crazy for these $29 stone tiles from Kmart?

More and more Australians are now turning to budget-savvy solutions for their home renovation projects as an alternative to more costly ways to spruce up their living spaces without breaking the bank.

Kmart is an excellent source of inspiration for design ideas and a one-stop shop for homeware hacks and DIY ornaments that can quickly help us bring our homes to life.

With the introduction of its ever-popular home living range, Kmart has recently become every savvy home renovator's dream come true, as it offers a vast variety of furniture, decorations, and products designed to make them the envy of all their poker friends.

Among the retailer's products, a particular item has been sending users of a social media group dedicated to Kmart decor wild: a 4-pack of stone decking tiles priced at a mere $29.

Screenshot 2023-08-10 113001.png
4 Pack Light Stone Decking Tiles @ $ 29, Kmart. Credit: Kmart

These interlocking tiles, made from natural travertine stone, offer a wide range of possibilities for budget-friendly home projects, with users of the group quickly warming up to the idea of using them in their DIY renovations.

Naturally, it didn't take long before enthusiasts and fellow renovators started sharing their DIY projects.

'I did my stove splash back, I love them!' one fan exclaimed, while another shared their success with using the tiles in both vanities, confirming that the tiles hold up very well to regular cleaning.

Screenshot 2023-08-10 124054.png
A DIY enthusiast used this Kmart item as their kitchen backsplash. Credit: Target, Big W and Kmart Inspired Decor/Facebook

However, some group members also offered caution as well as enthusiasm, with one pointing out that tiling with stone can trap moisture in the shower unless it's sealed properly.

'If you don't use a sealer, the stone is porous and will stain,' they warned, while another pragmatic voice commented that 'Whole shower? Just use proper tiles. These are decor, not building materials.'

Despite this caution, responses to the idea of using the tiles in home renovation projects were mostly positive and full of praise from group members.

'They're actually no different from the stone tiles from Bunnings. Just a quarter of the price,' an advocate commented, while others shared their bold transformations, from bathroom tiling to entire kitchen makeovers–which many agreed were made possible thanks to the Kmart stone tiles.

Screenshot 2023-08-10 124159.png
Another customer used it for their bathroom flooring. Credit: Target, Big W and Kmart Inspired Decor/Facebook

'I have done my whole bathroom with them,' one proud renovator revealed, with another saying they've used them in their kitchen area and that it was 'easy as’.

The uses of the tiles extended beyond floors and walls, with one weary home decorator enquiring whether there were any coffee table or side table ideas, prompting a raft of inspirations from the group.

One woman even used this product to modify their heater.

It wasn't long before one delighted decorator shared their coffee table hack, a photo of which revealed that the table top was transformed using the Kmart tiles.

Screenshot 2023-08-10 124028.png
One DIYer used Kmart tiles as a tabletop. Credit: Target, Big W, and Kmart Inspired Decor/Facebook

The Kmart website is awash with rave reviews of the tiles, which have proven popular since they went on sale. The sentiment echoes that of other group members, with many commenting on the quality of the product and how easy they are to lay and click together.

‘These tiles are amazing. I have revamped my front steps with these and it looks professionally done. No wonder they are sold out everywhere, I need two more packets. (You) won't regret buying these. I would give ten stars if I could’ one customer shared.

One review said, ‘Love the colour and quality of these tiles! I just need more, which is proving difficult.’

Key Takeaways
  • Kmart's $29 packs of stone decking tiles have become a hit among budget-conscious home renovators, prompting a surge of interest in its home living range.
  • In a social media group dedicated to home decor enthusiasts, members have shared their creative applications of these tiles in various DIY projects.
  • While most shared positive experiences, some group members emphasised the importance of proper sealing to avoid potential issues and suggested that they are suitable for decor rather than construction.
  • Others praised the affordability and quality of these tiles compared to similar products in other stores, showing off their home transformations and leaving rave reviews on the Kmart website.

In light of the endless possibilities these stone tiles present, there are plenty of reasons to be excited about the reinvention of our living spaces, and we at the SDC are keen to see how you could use them in your DIY projects!

Have you purchased this product from Kmart, dear members? If you do, don’t forget to share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
I think the coffee table looks good.I wouldn't recommend them for showers though.
I have some in my shower base that were here when I purchased the property. They are extremely porous and no amount of trying, endless different products, etc will get them clean.
I am going to have to replace them, definitely not with more stone
You do get what you pay for though and although Bunnings may be dearer they are much better quality.

I'm all about budget-friendly home renovation too. Kmart has been my go-to for sprucing up my space without emptying my wallet. Their range of homeware hacks and DIY goodies is a game-changer. Speaking of DIY, I recently stumbled upon some awesome rock painting ideas on a site called https://rockstumbling.com/. It's amazing how a simple rock can add so much character to a room!

Last edited:
Sorry but I don't like budget anything when doing home renovations, you never get a long lasting finish.
You don't have to go high end, if it's not in your budget, but the old saying "you get what you pay for"rings true when doing home renovations. All the effort you put into doing the work is wasted and creates a lot more work down the track when you need to redo them.
After over 30 years of flipping homes I would say go for the best quality you can afford.
However, these tiles would be a good option for a quick tidy up if you are considering selling, though don't do this if you are thinking about going into the flipping business.
Reputation is everything, don't skimp on quality.

Reactions: Littleboy8