Why are Aussies so 'aggressive'? This woman may have the answer!

Australia—the land of sun, surf, and laid-back attitudes, right?

Well, not according to some foreign travellers who have labelled the locals as 'aggressive'.

This stereotype has been challenged by an Australian woman, Julz Alex, who took to social media to share her theory on why Aussies might come across as a bit rough around the edges.

In her video online, Alex began, 'Everyone wonders why Australians are so aggressive and swear a lot, [but] it's because our country is aggressive.'

Yes, you read that right: For her, it’s the land, not the people.

Alex then listed a series of examples to back her argument, peppering her rant with a few choice Aussie expletives for good measure.

Photo_20231201_115901_0000.png
Julz Alex shared her theory of why Aussies are ‘aggressive’. Credit: @julzalexx / TikTok

The first point she made is about the harsh Australian climate.

'You go outside in the sun, and the sun's like, “You got 20 f**king minutes before I burn you to a f**king crisp,”' she said.

Next, she turned her attention to Australia's infamous insect population.

She mentioned how ‘all the insects' come after you in minutes when you step foot outside at night.

'I'm going to sting and bite you, and you're going to be covered in welts,' she said, imagining what the mosquitoes and flies think when they see an Aussie on the street.

Spring, a season typically associated with pleasant experiences, is not exempt from Alex's critique.

'The flowers start blossoming, the birds start chirping, but in Australia, you can't f**king breathe!' she said, referring to the high pollen count that triggers allergies in many Australians.

She compared her experience with allergies to being punched in the face by a boxer.

Alex also pointed out that those chirping birds are not as innocent as they seem. Magpies and other native birds are notorious, as they swoop people when their young are hatching.

Her theory has resonated with many Australians, who said her explanation was 'bang on' in relation to the general demeanour of Australians.

Others also said that it could be of the country's colonial past, believing it's to be expected that Aussies wouldn't be 'well-mannered and chill'.

Watch her video below:

While Alex's theory is certainly entertaining, it's worth noting that the perception of Australians as 'aggressive' is likely influenced by more than just the country's harsh climate and wildlife. Australia's history and culture also play a significant role.

As some commenters pointed out, Australia's colonial past, marked by hardship and resilience, has undoubtedly shaped the national character. Early settlers had to contend with unfamiliar and often hostile environments, and this struggle for survival has left its mark on the Australian psyche.

Moreover, the Australian vernacular, known for its colourful language and liberal use of slang, can sometimes be misinterpreted as aggressive by those unfamiliar with it. In reality, this informal style of speech is often a sign of friendliness and camaraderie.

Finally, Australians are known for their directness and honesty, which can sometimes be mistaken for rudeness or aggression. However, this straightforwardness is generally appreciated within the country, as it promotes clear communication and mutual respect.

Foreigners have also observed the uniqueness of the Australian culture. In a previous story, an Italian traveller pointed out the peculiarities in the Australian café scene that have left him puzzled. Read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Julz Alex has shared her theory on why locals are perceived as aggressive.
  • In a video on social media, she suggested the harshness of Australia's sun, insects, and wildlife make Australians more defensive.
  • She also pointed out that allergies from blooming flowers in spring and bird attacks make life challenging in Australia.
  • The woman's theory was met with agreement from other Aussies online, who also pointed to the country's colonial past as a factor in their demeanour.
Do you agree with Alex's theory, or do you have your own ideas about why Aussies might come across as 'aggressive'? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Reactions: Liag and Shane/#
Sponsored

Well, not according to some foreign travellers who have labelled the locals as 'aggressive'.

This stereotype has been challenged by an Australian woman, Julz Alex, who took to social media to share her theory on why Aussies might come across as a bit rough around the edges.

In her video online, Alex began, 'Everyone wonders why Australians are so aggressive and swear a lot, [but] it's because our country is aggressive.'

Alex then listed a series of examples to back her argument, peppering her rant with a few choice Aussie expletives for good measure.

View attachment 36337
Julz Alex shared her theory of why Aussies are ‘aggressive’. Credit: @julzalexx / TikTok

'You go outside in the sun, and the sun's like, “You got 20 f**king minutes before I burn you to a f**king crisp,”' she said.

She mentioned how ‘all the insects' come after you in minutes when you step foot outside at night.

'I'm going to sting and bite you, and you're going to be covered in welts,' she said, imagining what the mosquitoes and flies think when they see an Aussie on the street.

Spring, a season typically associated with pleasant experiences, is not exempt from Alex's critique.

'The flowers start blossoming, the birds start chirping, but in Australia, you can't f**king breathe!' she said, referring to the high pollen count that triggers allergies in many Australians.

She compared her experience with allergies to being punched in the face by a boxer.

Alex also pointed out that those chirping birds are not as innocent as they seem. Magpies and other native birds are notorious, as they swoop people when their young are hatching.

Her theory has resonated with many Australians, who said her explanation was 'bang on' in relation to the general demeanour of Australians.

Others also said that it could be of the country's colonial past, believing it's to be expected that Aussies wouldn't be 'well-mannered and chill'.

Watch her video below:

While Alex's theory is certainly entertaining, it's worth noting that the perception of Australians as 'aggressive' is likely influenced by more than just the country's harsh climate and wildlife. Australia's history and culture also play a significant role.

As some commenters pointed out, Australia's colonial past, marked by hardship and resilience, has undoubtedly shaped the national character. Early settlers had to contend with unfamiliar and often hostile environments, and this struggle for survival has left its mark on the Australian psyche.

Moreover, the Australian vernacular, known for its colourful language and liberal use of slang, can sometimes be misinterpreted as aggressive by those unfamiliar with it. In reality, this informal style of speech is often a sign of friendliness and camaraderie.

Finally, Australians are known for their directness and honesty, which can sometimes be mistaken for rudeness or aggression. However, this straightforwardness is generally appreciated within the country, as it promotes clear communication and mutual respect.

Foreigners have also observed the uniqueness of the Australian culture. In a previous story, an Italian traveller pointed out the peculiarities in the Australian café scene that have left him puzzled. Read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• In a video on social media, she suggested the harshness of Australia's sun, insects, and wildlife make Australians more defensive.
  • She also pointed out that allergies from blooming flowers in spring and bird attacks make life challenging in Australia.
  • The woman's theory was met with agreement from other Aussies online, who also pointed to the country's colonial past as a factor in their demeanour.
Do you agree with Alex's theory, or do you have your own ideas about why Aussies might come across as 'aggressive'? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

In a word Yes. I have heard it many times from overseas travelers and when traveling overseas the same thing.

View attachment 36337

Watch her video below:

Key Takeaways

That old chestnut about our "colonial past" again..seriously how many Australians are descended from th convict migrants today? I would say Australia's national character was formed by the gold rush rather than our convict past. Australians are certainly more hyper-materialistic than the average, but I see no evidence we are any more aggressive... ou foul mouthed... than any people.

View attachment 36337

Watch her video below:

Key Takeaways

sounds like a complaining Yank or whinging Pom to me. Funny how many people, including known entertainers love coming here.

We are such a multi cultural country who could say? Personally I am Australian blood line only (as far as I can research by records) going back to first settlers (both Scottish and English). We are who we are - perhaps I'm not the best judge lol. Don't care either - I like me just the way I am! lol

That old chestnut about our "colonial past" again..seriously how many Australians are descended from th convict migrants today? I would say Australia's national character was formed by the gold rush rather than our convict past. Australians are certainly more hyper-materialistic than the average, but I see no evidence we are any more aggressive... ou foul mouthed... than any people.
I am proud of my convict past. My GGGrandfather arrived in Sydney on 18th Dec 1822. He only had one charge against him....stealing bread after the English stole his cow, sheep, home and land. He was an original settler of Camden NSW and my Nan was born there.

What a load of codswallop.
Speaking for myself, I come from a non-swearing background. I am 1st generation Aussie as mum and dad were European post war immigrants. No colonials in our mix. I can honestly say I have never said the IN-OUT word.
I believe physical environment has no bearing on behaviour. More to the point, the people who are around you in your formative years are the ones who forge the path.
For example: We moved to a new suburb some years ago. Lovely place, nice people, quiet and peaceful. It was a perfect place for families.
There was one household we struck a very strong friendship with were very nice people. Only thing, the mum and dad swore like troopers. Every second word seemed to be a curse. But was just grammar to them.
They had 3 boys between 10 and 5 years. They used to come to my home quite often and were always polite and no trouble. Only thing, they swore like their mum and dad without blinking an eye. So, we sat them down and said our home was a swear free zone and if they did so while there, we would have to send them home. Never heard another bad word after that.
Forget about mozzies, sun, flora and fauna. The same as discrimination and, in some cases, religious practice is passed down through the generations, so too, it can be the case with behaviour.

View attachment 36337

Watch her video below:

Key Takeaways

We also don't put up with a lot of bulls--it from idiots, governments, bosses and snotty nosed elites.

View attachment 36337

Watch her video below:

Key Takeaways

It's Australia 🇦🇺 don't like it piss off back to your own country simple of course we are rough around the edges get over it 🙄👍

View attachment 36337

Watch her video below:

Key Takeaways

Oh pleeaase! Next you’ll be blaming Paul Keating or your indigenous people!
The fact is it’s an entitlement that you have a right to the land and everything on it. A lot of countries have suffered with hardship but in most cases it’s made their people humble and gracious not arrogant and self-entitled. To say it’s because of a harsh climate and insects is such a cop out and a real bogan attitude..
When they start realising and recognising the true owners of the land then maybe they’ll be more humble.. but don’t hold your breath!

What a load of codswallop.
Speaking for myself, I come from a non-swearing background. I am 1st generation Aussie as mum and dad were European post war immigrants. No colonials in our mix. I can honestly say I have never said the IN-OUT word.
I believe physical environment has no bearing on behaviour. More to the point, the people who are around you in your formative years are the ones who forge the path.
For example: We moved to a new suburb some years ago. Lovely place, nice people, quiet and peaceful. It was a perfect place for families.
There was one household we struck a very strong friendship with were very nice people. Only thing, the mum and dad swore like troopers. Every second word seemed to be a curse. But was just grammar to them.
They had 3 boys between 10 and 5 years. They used to come to my home quite often and were always polite and no trouble. Only thing, they swore like their mum and dad without blinking an eye. So, we sat them down and said our home was a swear free zone and if they did so while there, we would have to send them home. Never heard another bad word after that.
Forget about mozzies, sun, flora and fauna. The same as discrimination and, in some cases, religious practice is passed down through the generations, so too, it can be the case with behaviour.
I agree - why do we have to put up with people putting %*% on the internet so facebook etc. do not see they are swearing. I just put it down to lack of vocabulary ability.

There is only one way to deal with that....aggression x 2...... works every time.