SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Tervueren

Tervueren

Jan 10, 2022
ALDINGA BEACH
Who should be allowed to Shop at Op Shops? Should they be for the disadvantaged, or everyone?

My local female Doctor (much to my disgust) happily informed me how she had purchased her blouse for only $2 at the local Op Shop!!!! All I could think of was that there were so many other people and families who desperately need these stores and their low prices, and here she is, earning well over 300K and shopping at an Op Shop! On the other hand, she told me how happy she was that she could help contribute to the recycling of clothes and how it helped reduce the landfill situation.... which is very true and very important in our World, so taking everything into account, how do YOU feel about Op Shopping? and the people who shop regularly there?? Do you think that Op Shops should be available for all, or primarily for those in need? I must admit that I really felt that she was taking advantage of a Charity Shop for people in need, not those who earn a large salary and can afford to shop at Department Stores. What is your opinion? Would you be happy to know that a Professional person who is on a good wage is taking advantage of Charity Shops? Or do you believe that these stores should be primarily for those in need?

My local female Doctor (much to my disgust) happily informed me how she had purchased her blouse for only $2 at the local Op Shop!!!! All I could think of was that there were so many other people and families who desperately need these stores and their low prices, and here she is, earning well over 300K and shopping at an Op Shop! On the other hand, she told me how happy she was that she could help contribute to the recycling of clothes and how it helped reduce the landfill situation.... which is very true and very important in our World, so taking everything into account, how do YOU feel about Op Shopping? and the people who shop regularly there?? Do you think that Op Shops should be available for all, or primarily for those in need? I must admit that I really felt that she was taking advantage of a Charity Shop for people in need, not those who earn a large salary and can afford to shop at Department Stores. What is your opinion? Would you be happy to know that a Professional person who is on a good wage is taking advantage of Charity Shops? Or do you believe that these stores should be primarily for those in need?
Hello, @Dingo ! This is actually such a really thought-provoking question. I completely understand your concern but I also personally don't think that Op Shops will ever run out of stock!

There are tons of clothes out there that can be reused and they have been taking a huge chunk of waste across the globe. I think Op Shops should be accessible to everyone :) This is just my personal opinion though!

Hello, @Dingo ! This is actually such a really thought-provoking question. I completely understand your concern but I also personally don't think that Op Shops will ever run out of stock!

There are tons of clothes out there that can be reused and they have been taking a huge chunk of waste across the globe. I think Op Shops should be accessible to everyone :) This is just my personal opinion though!
Hiya Sethia, I must admit I do agree with you on many points. I have never seen an empty Op Shop, nor a shop half empty!! There always seems to be plenty of donations of unwanted clothes available. Considering the landfill dilemma that every country is suffering from, recycling is certainly a far better option than tossing out unwanted items creating an increased landfill problem. It is a topic that has many different points of view, I thought it would be interesting to see how the other Forum members felt about this.
On self-reflection my Doctor only told me in conversation because I commented to her how lovely she looked.
In hindsight, maybe I was just a little bit jealous that my blouse cost ten times as much and looked very shabby compared to hers!
Just something I was deliberating over....

Hiya Sethia, I must admit I do agree with you on many points. I have never seen an empty Op Shop, nor a shop half empty!! There always seems to be plenty of donations of unwanted clothes available. Considering the landfill dilemma that every country is suffering from, recycling is certainly a far better option than tossing out unwanted items creating an increased landfill problem. It is a topic that has many different points of view, I thought it would be interesting to see how the other Forum members felt about this.
On self-reflection my Doctor only told me in conversation because I commented to her how lovely she looked.
In hindsight, maybe I was just a little bit jealous that my blouse cost ten times as much and looked very shabby compared to hers!
Just something I was deliberating over....
Hahahaha! :D I'm sure your blouse looked just as lovely. Maybe you should drop by an op shop every now and then too (if possible) as it's a fun way to experiment with looks on a budget. I am also curious to see what the other members think about this :) I looooove engaging in healthy discussions, so feel free to post more interesting thoughts like this! It definitely keeps the brain going ;)

Hahahaha! :D I'm sure your blouse looked just as lovely. Maybe you should drop by an op shop every now and then too (if possible) as it's a fun way to experiment with looks on a budget. I am also curious to see what the other members think about this :) I looooove engaging in healthy discussions, so feel free to post more interesting thoughts like this! It definitely keeps the brain going ;)
There is nothing like a healthy debate, it keeps the mind open to other ideas and points of view. I really enjoy discussion too, especially when it stays kind, fun, educational and interesting! It is only when folks get nasty or start making personal comments that I begin to bolt! Cheers! ;)

I have thought over the years that OP SHOPS were for the disadvantaged etc... and I used to feel guilty if I ever walking into one... but lately I have looked in to some non local OP Shops which had a mass of clothes, some still new...plus many other things.... I suppose I still think I'm a bit guilty when I buy anything in an OP Shop as the price You are paying is a fraction of its original cost... but then I feel good when I am wearing a nice shirt that I paid $5 for.... lol 68autobug Lee

Op Shops are there to make money, which is used to fund their various projects that the charities run.
If people are disadvantaged they can either buy from an op shop or go directly to the charity organisation who will organise what is needed for free, depending on the severity of the need. Many op shops are actually quite expensive depending on the brand and quality of clothing etc but like I said…they exist to raise money.
I actually worked at an Op Shop which only sold top brands and top quality for this reason.

Reactions: Tervueren
I love opp shopping!!! It's like a hobby.

I used to think it was for the less advantage people but infact it's the money that most op shops make from their sales that help the less well off, by supplying food, helping with bills electricity ect.

So by us buying these items then it allows then to help others in better ways than clothes.

Have you been into an opp shop lately??? There prices are actually quite high .

I shop for those rare and unusual items.

If it wasn't for the more fortunate going in and buying they would be in trouble and not able to help people.

I volunteer at a Op Shop Everybody and Always will be welcome to enter the store. If there are stores that discriminate then they should be ashamed.

Due to increase in online shopping op shops now have many more Brand New item with tags still on them. So there are always bargains galore for all.