Who knew this commonplace ingredient could stop your pots from boiling over in SECONDS?

When we have a lot to do and getting dinner on the table is just one of them, we have to admit that we can't always keep a close eye on every pot on the stove.

Distractions are inevitable in everyday life. Either that or the show on TV is just too good that we can't take our eyes off of it…

We know that if we turn our backs on a pot of boiling water, the next thing we will see is the water spilling over the edge of the pot.

But, water boiling over the pot isn't just an annoyance; it's also a serious threat to the safety of everyone and anything around, especially your grandchildren or the family pet.

Here's a quick and easy kitchen tip to help you and your family stay safe in the kitchen while also keeping your countertops spotless!

PwuuMvEQOC0qT7FTqaeEKwRXU7_89E1ZZo4Axdnt3fLR17lShF-w5SJ7NukO5e0aTjpFCUM13YMJ3dwa9h5YxpQRPvsWKrG7I9G0vQWoh6OXhD4WeUzGCbgpo7IYvDLsO7hV6knkev2RfIaAqBBoxy9szx_-7HjGdu4-1eIG0pVU8hqvc9Fy4sAHvg

An ice cube can keep a pot from boiling over. Credit: TikTok.

Aussie mum and organising expert, Anita Birges, claims there is a foolproof method for avoiding the kitchen disaster that is water boiling over the pot - and she said this trick has never let her down.

'Are you sick of your pots boiling over and making your stove top harder to clean?' she asked, and then said, 'While I was making my chicken soup today, I used this clever trick that I have been doing for years and wanted to share it with you.'

To stop the water from bubbling over the pot, she only has to pop an ice cube into the pot and then voila - the water level will suddenly go down in no time!

Of course, there's always the simple option of lowering the heat or removing the pot from the stove, but according to Anita, those actions take much longer to reduce the boiling to a simmer – adding an ice cube only takes a few seconds.

Hundreds of people went to the comments to thank Anita for her simple tip, saying that they had no idea that an ice cube could do this.

'This is so helpful,' one person wrote in the comments, with a second person adding, 'Such a nice trick - I'll be sure to try it soon!'

Did you know that ice has another practical application in the kitchen beyond stopping water from boiling over the pot?

Of course, ice cubes may be used to chill down a dish, but did you know they can also be used to warm it up? Yes, you read that right—ice cubes can warm up food, particularly rice!

How? To prevent the rice from being soggy while reheating it in the microwave, just place an ice cube on top. The ice cube won't melt in the microwave, and it'll provide some much-needed steam for your rice.

So that means that your reheated rice won't be dry and will be nice and fluffy again without being watery from a melted ice cube. How great is that?

Do you know of any more situations where an ice cube would be useful? Leave a comment below and let us know! We'd love to know what else our trusty ice cubes can do, besides cooling our summer drinks, of course.

Sponsored
When we have a lot to do and getting dinner on the table is just one of them, we have to admit that we can't always keep a close eye on every pot on the stove.

Distractions are inevitable in everyday life. Either that or the show on TV is just too good that we can't take our eyes off of it…

We know that if we turn our backs on a pot of boiling water, the next thing we will see is the water spilling over the edge of the pot.

But, water boiling over the pot isn't just an annoyance; it's also a serious threat to the safety of everyone and anything around, especially your grandchildren or the family pet.

Here's a quick and easy kitchen tip to help you and your family stay safe in the kitchen while also keeping your countertops spotless!

PwuuMvEQOC0qT7FTqaeEKwRXU7_89E1ZZo4Axdnt3fLR17lShF-w5SJ7NukO5e0aTjpFCUM13YMJ3dwa9h5YxpQRPvsWKrG7I9G0vQWoh6OXhD4WeUzGCbgpo7IYvDLsO7hV6knkev2RfIaAqBBoxy9szx_-7HjGdu4-1eIG0pVU8hqvc9Fy4sAHvg

Aussie mum and organising expert, Anita Birges, claims there is a foolproof method for avoiding the kitchen disaster that is water boiling over the pot - and she said this trick has never let her down.

'Are you sick of your pots boiling over and making your stove top harder to clean?' she asked, and then said, 'While I was making my chicken soup today, I used this clever trick that I have been doing for years and wanted to share it with you.'

To stop the water from bubbling over the pot, she only has to pop an ice cube into the pot and then voila - the water level will suddenly go down in no time!

Of course, there's always the simple option of lowering the heat or removing the pot from the stove, but according to Anita, those actions take much longer to reduce the boiling to a simmer – adding an ice cube only takes a few seconds.

Hundreds of people went to the comments to thank Anita for her simple tip, saying that they had no idea that an ice cube could do this.

'This is so helpful,' one person wrote in the comments, with a second person adding, 'Such a nice trick - I'll be sure to try it soon!'

Did you know that ice has another practical application in the kitchen beyond stopping water from boiling over the pot?

Of course, ice cubes may be used to chill down a dish, but did you know they can also be used to warm it up? Yes, you read that right—ice cubes can warm up food, particularly rice!

How? To prevent the rice from being soggy while reheating it in the microwave, just place an ice cube on top. The ice cube won't melt in the microwave, and it'll provide some much-needed steam for your rice.

So that means that your reheated rice won't be dry and will be nice and fluffy again without being watery from a melted ice cube. How great is that?

Do you know of any more situations where an ice cube would be useful? Leave a comment below and let us know! We'd love to know what else our trusty ice cubes can do, besides cooling our summer drinks, of course.

Putting a wooden spoon across the top of the the pot will do the same thing

How can walking to the fridge, collecting an ice cube and walking to the stove to drop the ice in be quicker than just lifting the pot off the heat? Are you that much of a disaster cook that you have the ice cube sitting there next to the stove ready to go? If it wasn't so sad it'd be laughable!:rolleyes:

A few drops of oil works well

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci

🤔haven’t needed to do that, just lifted lid and turned down temperature. I would think taking the time to go and grab an ice cube would make things worse🤔

• Love
Reactions: debjane and Ricci

I put lettuce in icecube water and make it crispy also of you put a few icecubes in water and pop in you boiled eggs the shell comes off easier

Reactions: Ricci
Does placing a Wooden Spoon over a Pot stop it Boiling?? If so, how does it Work????
I have no idea how it works but it does, I have used a wooden spoon between the lid and the pot ever since I saw Jamie Oliver use the method when cooking Pasta. I wait until I can see bubbles forming then lift the lid and put the spoon across the rim of the pot then put the lid back on and turn the heat down to a simmer, Boiling potatoes to make mash was always something I hated cos if the pot boils over it means scrubbing the stove top, any way I use the wooden spoon method now and have not had any accidents since. just remember to turn the heat down after you put the wooden spoon in place because with the lid being partially lifted the water in the pot evaporates quicker and can lead to it boiling dry, ruining your spuds. My ever helpful ?? Husband explained why this method works as it being chemistry, meant nothing to me, all I care about is that it works

I have no idea how it works but it does, I have used a wooden spoon between the lid and the pot ever since I saw Jamie Oliver use the method when cooking Pasta. I wait until I can see bubbles forming then lift the lid and put the spoon across the rim of the pot then put the lid back on and turn the heat down to a simmer, Boiling potatoes to make mash was always something I hated cos if the pot boils over it means scrubbing the stove top, any way I use the wooden spoon method now and have not had any accidents since. just remember to turn the heat down after you put the wooden spoon in place because with the lid being partially lifted the water in the pot evaporates quicker and can lead to it boiling dry, ruining your spuds. My ever helpful ?? Husband explained why this method works as it being chemistry, meant nothing to me, all I care about is that it works
Thank you.

Reactions: Ricci