Who’s to blame for the skyrocketing cost of living? Outraged farmer accuses Woolworths and Coles of jacking up prices of fruits and vegetables

It's no secret that the cost of living in Australia is on the rise - in fact, you’re probably getting a little sick of us harping on about it. But who is to blame?

According to Guy Gaeta, Chair of the NSW Farmers Horticulture Committee, it's the supermarkets.

Mr Gaeta, who is a third-generation apple and cherry farmer from Orange, NSW, accused Woolworths and Coles of increasing the prices of fresh produce.

"It's not against the law, price gouging... but it's [fresh produce] an essential item," he said.

"It's sad. There are families that walk past [the produce aisle] and say, 'I can't afford that'."

The farmer claimed that the supermarkets are "manipulating" the market by pushing smaller greengrocers and retailers out of business and negotiating the lowest possible price for fruits and vegetables with farmers.

He also noted that farmers are not receiving any benefits from the price hikes on their own products.

"If farmers were getting $10 for a lettuce, we'd be driving Ferraris," he quipped.

vwGNNks_Xpdq32Y4KjeCuyWBcuFT3i7I9YPs_6vyFZcs4k07-9C92JhzF39DVZMq78CHoJBZOCTtANcnRd8FNg4ksCPaRw12SNiesjHdJNEb_EMaMTtdjgQSEkBJgXjQu5REPRGahig6XY3FAAyi

NSW Farmers Horticulture Committee chair Guy Gaeta said that farmers are not receiving any benefits from the price hikes, alleging supermarkets of manipulating the market for their own good. Credit: Getty Images.

Aside from the lack of benefits, farmers are also burdened with the transport costs to deliver the produce from their farms to distribution centres.

Mr Gaeta explained: "They have costs too, but we aren't putting 80 per cent on top of the price we agreed on. We [farmers] are not ripping anybody off."

Woolworths and Coles have spoken out against the accusations, claiming that they're committed to providing value to customers – especially at a time when many families are struggling with the rising cost of living.

"It's impossible to escape the cost of living," a Woolworths spokesperson said.

The spokesperson went on to say that raising prices – by as much as 80 per cent, as has been alleged – would be like "shooting yourself in the foot".

Additionally, the spokesperson emphasised that while profit margins in the supermarket industry are really tight, it's still in the retailer's interests to ensure that the agriculture industry thrives.

EeHKAbdGV3JugXo7-pVhMiCglPQHU77HRZEFey6XJrLVZffJ_Q8amMSDHp-GMlc02idt-pan_xttcpLjGBqiv60PO6KafuYOnnfRpu3iNDkBDgfJQUIpDmIzoky6NdaedjoydWCGMjBdw18qbnm5

Coles and Woolworths emphasised their commitment to provide value to their customers and to keep their prices low. Credit: Getty Images.

In a separate statement, Woolworths also clarified that the prices of fruits and vegetables in its stores are determined by the amount of money they paid to acquire them.

A spokesperson, who claimed that the retailer is paying more money to vegetable suppliers, explained: "We pay farmers the market price for their produce, which can vary throughout the year due to weather, seasonality, supply and demand. Last year, when the market price for fruit and veg was in decline, we passed those savings on to customers in the supermarket."

"The big reason prices are up on some varieties is the reduced supply in the market, following the East Coast floods and ongoing bad weather in key growing regions."

"We operate in a highly competitive market and we're always working to strike the right balance so suppliers receive a fair market price and our customers have access to affordable fresh produce."

Meanwhile, a Coles spokesperson commented on the issue, saying that the company is focused on keeping costs down for customers amidst the skyrocketing costs of living.

The spokesperson said: "We appreciate that there are a number of factors driving inflation for all retailers, including increases in the cost of raw materials, energy price rises, freight costs, extreme weather events and ongoing Covid impacts."

"We are committed to continuing to build strong, multi-generational, collaborative partnerships with Australian farmers and producers, including long-term contracts, which is why so many growers want to work directly with Coles. These partnerships enable us to source directly from suppliers and help us secure fresher produce at great value for our customers."

"The price of produce is a factor of supply and demand; however, our team is working hard to get prices down for our customers as quickly as we can. Our customers can expect to see an improved volume of many fresh produce lines in coming weeks thanks to the extraordinary efforts of our growers."

It should be noted that both supermarket chains are signatories of the Food and Grocery Code — a code of conduct designed to improve standards of business conduct in the food and grocery sector.

The code, which is voluntary, is regulated by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC). German retailer Aldi is also among the first signatories of the code.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think this farmer was in the right for claiming that supermarkets are the culprit for the rising costs of living? Let us know your insights in the comments below.

Sponsored
The
It's no secret that the cost of living in Australia is on the rise - in fact, you’re probably getting a little sick of us harping on about it. But who is to blame?

According to Guy Gaeta, Chair of the NSW Farmers Horticulture Committee, it's the supermarkets.

Mr Gaeta, who is a third-generation apple and cherry farmer from Orange, NSW, accused Woolworths and Coles of increasing the prices of fresh produce.

"It's not against the law, price gouging... but it's [fresh produce] an essential item," he said.

"It's sad. There are families that walk past [the produce aisle] and say, 'I can't afford that'."

The farmer claimed that the supermarkets are "manipulating" the market by pushing smaller greengrocers and retailers out of business and negotiating the lowest possible price for fruits and vegetables with farmers.

He also noted that farmers are not receiving any benefits from the price hikes on their own products.

"If farmers were getting $10 for a lettuce, we'd be driving Ferraris," he quipped.

vwGNNks_Xpdq32Y4KjeCuyWBcuFT3i7I9YPs_6vyFZcs4k07-9C92JhzF39DVZMq78CHoJBZOCTtANcnRd8FNg4ksCPaRw12SNiesjHdJNEb_EMaMTtdjgQSEkBJgXjQu5REPRGahig6XY3FAAyi

NSW Farmers Horticulture Committee chair Guy Gaeta said that farmers are not receiving any benefits from the price hikes, alleging supermarkets of manipulating the market for their own good. Credit: Getty Images.

Aside from the lack of benefits, farmers are also burdened with the transport costs to deliver the produce from their farms to distribution centres.

Mr Gaeta explained: "They have costs too, but we aren't putting 80 per cent on top of the price we agreed on. We [farmers] are not ripping anybody off."

Woolworths and Coles have spoken out against the accusations, claiming that they're committed to providing value to customers – especially at a time when many families are struggling with the rising cost of living.

The spokesperson went on to say that raising prices – by as much as 80 per cent, as has been alleged – would be like "shooting yourself in the foot".

Additionally, the spokesperson emphasised that while profit margins in the supermarket industry are really tight, it's still in the retailer's interests to ensure that the agriculture industry thrives.

EeHKAbdGV3JugXo7-pVhMiCglPQHU77HRZEFey6XJrLVZffJ_Q8amMSDHp-GMlc02idt-pan_xttcpLjGBqiv60PO6KafuYOnnfRpu3iNDkBDgfJQUIpDmIzoky6NdaedjoydWCGMjBdw18qbnm5

Coles and Woolworths emphasised their commitment to provide value to their customers and to keep their prices low. Credit: Getty Images.

In a separate statement, Woolworths also clarified that the prices of fruits and vegetables in its stores are determined by the amount of money they paid to acquire them.

A spokesperson, who claimed that the retailer is paying more money to vegetable suppliers, explained: "We pay farmers the market price for their produce, which can vary throughout the year due to weather, seasonality, supply and demand. Last year, when the market price for fruit and veg was in decline, we passed those savings on to customers in the supermarket."

"The big reason prices are up on some varieties is the reduced supply in the market, following the East Coast floods and ongoing bad weather in key growing regions."

"We operate in a highly competitive market and we're always working to strike the right balance so suppliers receive a fair market price and our customers have access to affordable fresh produce."

Meanwhile, a Coles spokesperson commented on the issue, saying that the company is focused on keeping costs down for customers amidst the skyrocketing costs of living.

The spokesperson said: "We appreciate that there are a number of factors driving inflation for all retailers, including increases in the cost of raw materials, energy price rises, freight costs, extreme weather events and ongoing Covid impacts."

"We are committed to continuing to build strong, multi-generational, collaborative partnerships with Australian farmers and producers, including long-term contracts, which is why so many growers want to work directly with Coles. These partnerships enable us to source directly from suppliers and help us secure fresher produce at great value for our customers."

"The price of produce is a factor of supply and demand; however, our team is working hard to get prices down for our customers as quickly as we can. Our customers can expect to see an improved volume of many fresh produce lines in coming weeks thanks to the extraordinary efforts of our growers."

It should be noted that both supermarket chains are signatories of the Food and Grocery Code — a code of conduct designed to improve standards of business conduct in the food and grocery sector.

The code, which is voluntary, is regulated by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC). German retailer Aldi is also among the first signatories of the code.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think this farmer was in the right for claiming that supermarkets are the culprit for the rising costs of living? Let us know your insights in the comments below.
The answer is yes, what the Supermarkets fail to tell you is the retail profit is only a small part of their profit-taking. Purchasing, warehousing, distribution and marketing are all profit centres and when they mention the small margin they have at the retail end is only part of the overall profit.

Reactions: Liz and Ricci
The answer is yes, what the Supermarkets fail to tell you is the retail profit is only a small part of their profit-taking. Purchasing, warehousing, distribution and marketing are all profit centres and when they mention the small margin they have at the retail end is only part of the overall profit.

Reactions: Macs-241
If Aldi can keep prices down buying from our farmers, why can’t Coles and Woolworths?
One thing for sure, they have higher store overhead costs because of the greater number of staff to provide a different service than Aldi. But with rising food prices, my shopping is not dependent on service. Perhaps staff and management costs are also higher at Coles and Woolworths.

Try growing your own. I have worms, a compost bin and an area about 3meters square and grow veggies to feed myself and my hubby. I never buy seeds but use my food scraps to grow from. Potatoes , pak Choy spring onions leek pumpkins celery tomatoes garlic and the list goes on. I have passionfruit that grew from seeds. All my food scraps go into the worm farm or buried in the garden. It’s surprising what grows from just burying the scraps. All excess food goes out the front for the passers by to help themselves.

Woolworths is a disgrace and is certainly not the fresh food people - some items have risen in price by as much as 25% - and veggies are not always fresh! Aldi take pity on us and move to Woodford Qld.

Try growing your own. I have worms, a compost bin and an area about 3meters square and grow veggies to feed myself and my hubby. I never buy seeds but use my food scraps to grow from. Potatoes , pak Choy spring onions leek pumpkins celery tomatoes garlic and the list goes on. I have passionfruit that grew from seeds. All my food scraps go into the worm farm or buried in the garden. It’s surprising what grows from just burying the scraps. All excess food goes out the front for the passers by to help themselves.
Not everyone can so do.

My bottom line would be, who do I trust in this debate - farmers or retain giant. The bonus paid to the executives at that retain giants is very likely dependent on the profit the organisation makes. So guess what the execs get higher bonuses if they make higher profit. Hmmm! I wonder who do I trust.;);)

Reactions: relljube
The two supermarket giants are well known for unloading trucks at their distribution centres, "checking over" the produce, then refusing it - even though the fruit or vegetables are perfectly fine. After it's been reloaded & the truck has driven off, they make a phone call & renegotiate a much cheaper price, & the truck has to come back - otherwise they've had a wasted trip.

• Angry
Reactions: relljube

I don't know where all these ridiculously priced lettuces are.
I shopped today at Aldi in Northam, one and a half hours out of Perth and paid $2.99 for an iceberg and $2.49 for a two pack of cos lettuces ???