Which supermarket saves you the most money? Find out the surprising price differences on 23 popular grocery items

When it comes to shopping for groceries, it's always been important to be savvy and try to save as much money as possible. The prices of items differ from supermarket to supermarket, so if you plan well and shop around, you unlock make some considerable savings.

That was the experience of one customer recently, who decided to compare the prices of 23 groceries from Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI.

The shopper shared a list on multiple Facebook groups, outlining the prices of various pantry, dairy, meat, fresh vegetable, and cleaning products at Australia's top supermarkets.

The list - included in full below - revealed that in many cases, ALDI was offering prices that were the same or cheaper than Coles and Woolworths.

1204fa6e5fbb6cde66c483df055eb5b60cb76fc6-161x229-x34y0w1012h1440.jpg

The shopper posted the list on Facebook, comparing the prices of various items at Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI. Credit: Facebook.

In some instances, ALDI was only cheaper by 1c, but in others, the price gap ranged anywhere from five cents to as much as an impressive $6.51 (recorded for a kilogram of red capsicum retailed at the German retailer and Woolies)!

The list triggered a flurry of responses on social media, with many shoppers suggesting that it was worthwhile to visit all three major supermarkets every week to secure the best deals, even taking into account the weekly specials at Coles and Woolworths.

One person wrote: ‘That’s why I look at the sales first and then write my list and go to all three.’

‘Message here is to shop around. I have noticed ALDI has increased the price of a number of things to just one cent below Coles and Woolies prices on some items when there used to be a much bigger price gap,’ another pointed out.

‘And the thing with Coles and Woolies is they have better specials.’

pexels-photo-8422719.jpeg

Shopping around for the best deals is a common money-saving trick among Aussie shoppers. Credit: Pexels/Kampus Production.

However, some shoppers were taken aback by the similar prices on many items.

One comment read: ‘Not much different in prices. What disappoints me is that the shelves are always empty.’

A few shoppers mentioned that, despite the price increases at ALDI, they still save more money while shopping there.

One user shared: ‘It’s still consistently cheaper at my local ALDI stores in Perth.’

‘So many things we only can find at ALDI...And I believe that, despite three price rises, their brief is still the best you can find for the money,’ another added.

Meanwhile, some shoppers feel the bigger supermarkets like Coles and Woolies actually work out cheaper, particularly because of their rewards systems and specials.

One shopper stated: ‘Considering Woolies has a rewards card and Coles has Flybuys and sales on, I feel the bigger supermarkets actually work out cheaper than ALDI does now.’

‘I used to shop at ALDI all the time but now with the prices so similar to Coles and Woolies, I mainly shop at Woolies click and collect!’ another shared.

‘Rather pay a little bit extra for someone to do my shopping instead of having to pack my bags. Saves so much time.’

The post also captured the attention of a Woolworths spokesperson, who highlighted the initiatives that offer more value to customers.

'We know many of our customers choose Woolworths for our wide range of high-quality products at competitive prices in over 1,000 locations across Australia. We are committed to offering competitive prices,’ the representative said.

‘We understand customers are looking for great value across our stores and that’s why we’ve dropped the price of more than 400 everyday essentials for Autumn and continue to offer more than 6,000 specials across the store each and every week.’

Woolworths provides various services to support busy families, including home delivery, in-store pickup, and Direct to Boot.

The supermarket’s Everyday Rewards program also helps 1.3 million customers save $10 or more of their monthly shopping.

According to the Woolies spokesperson, the company has an Australian First Fresh Sourcing Policy, ensuring that all fresh meat, milk, eggs, and chicken come from Australian farmers, and 96% of their fruit and vegetables are grown in Australia.

Customers are encouraged to check Woolworths' weekly catalogue, either in-store or online, for the latest specials.

A Coles representative also commented on the matter, saying: ‘Coles is committed to helping our customers’ budgets go further and we provide value in many different ways.’

‘Each week, we have an average of 6,500 products on special at one time and in January we “DROPPED&LOCKED” the price of more than 300 essential items to ensure customers could rely on the price of staple products like chicken, mince, rice, yoghurt, cleaning products and pet food until after Easter.’

‘From today, customers are able to scan their Flybuys not only to collect points which they can use to save money off their shop, but they will also earn credits to redeem on free MasterChef cookware which they can use in their kitchens.’

The spokesperson also mentioned the convenience options available to customers, stating that ‘shoppers at Coles can also opt to shop online and have their groceries delivered to their doorstep or select Click & Collect, which is a free delivery-to-boot service.’

Key Takeaways
  • A shopper compared the prices of 23 everyday items at Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI to determine which supermarket offered the cheapest groceries.
  • The list showed that ALDI was the same or cheaper than Coles and Woolworths, with the price gap ranging from one cent to $6.51.
  • Many shoppers believe it pays to shop around all the major supermarkets to get the best prices each week, especially when considering weekly specials at Coles and Woolworths.
  • Woolworths and Coles' spokespersons stated that they are committed to offering competitive prices and various forms of value to their customers, such as a wide range of products or the Flybuys reward system, respectively.

There you have it, folks! Whatever your supermarket of choice, it pays to be prepared and always have a shopping list of essentials as well as price points ready.

Whether it’s price matching at Woolworths or taking advantage of ALDI’s special buys, your grocery coins could be stretched a lot further with a little extra effort.

So, members, what are your tips and tricks to help you save on your weekly grocery costs? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
The cost list from the three main stores show surprisingly how varied or similar their prices are!!

Aldi totals $106.92
Coles totals $108.06
Woolworths totals $123.04

as much as $16.12 difference!!

I usually write my shopping lists on a Monday night when Coles and Woolworths sneak out their catalogues online, ready for the Wednesday release.
I compare both retailers' prices and write my shopping lists based on the cheapest from each store.
I will also add a few specials available only from Aldi
I shop only from my store lists, to stop impulse buying, and this year alone, have saved almost $380 from prudent shopping.
I will also look at fresh items marked down prior to their use by dates, and freeze them for later

As a single person I do all my own cooking and have averaged a $10.04 daily grocery spend since the start of this year!!

Didnt think powdered milk was $10 at my local Woollies!

I buy it all the time instead of regular milk, am sure it was $8 a fortnight ago, but just looked online & yes it is now $10- thieving rogues!

Reactions: Ricci
When it comes to shopping for groceries, it's always been important to be savvy and try to save as much money as possible. The prices of items differ from supermarket to supermarket, so if you plan well and shop around, you unlock make some considerable savings.

That was the experience of one customer recently, who decided to compare the prices of 23 groceries from Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI.

The shopper shared a list on multiple Facebook groups, outlining the prices of various pantry, dairy, meat, fresh vegetable, and cleaning products at Australia's top supermarkets.

The list - included in full below - revealed that in many cases, ALDI was offering prices that were the same or cheaper than Coles and Woolworths.

The shopper posted the list on Facebook, comparing the prices of various items at Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI. Credit: Facebook.

In some instances, ALDI was only cheaper by 1c, but in others, the price gap ranged anywhere from five cents to as much as an impressive $6.51 (recorded for a kilogram of red capsicum retailed at the German retailer and Woolies)!

The list triggered a flurry of responses on social media, with many shoppers suggesting that it was worthwhile to visit all three major supermarkets every week to secure the best deals, even taking into account the weekly specials at Coles and Woolworths.

One person wrote: ‘That’s why I look at the sales first and then write my list and go to all three.’

‘Message here is to shop around. I have noticed ALDI has increased the price of a number of things to just one cent below Coles and Woolies prices on some items when there used to be a much bigger price gap,’ another pointed out.

Shopping around for the best deals is a common money-saving trick among Aussie shoppers. Credit: Pexels/Kampus Production.

One comment read: ‘Not much different in prices. What disappoints me is that the shelves are always empty.’

A few shoppers mentioned that, despite the price increases at ALDI, they still save more money while shopping there.

One user shared: ‘It’s still consistently cheaper at my local ALDI stores in Perth.’

‘So many things we only can find at ALDI...And I believe that, despite three price rises, their brief is still the best you can find for the money,’ another added.

Meanwhile, some shoppers feel the bigger supermarkets like Coles and Woolies actually work out cheaper, particularly because of their rewards systems and specials.

One shopper stated: ‘Considering Woolies has a rewards card and Coles has Flybuys and sales on, I feel the bigger supermarkets actually work out cheaper than ALDI does now.’

‘I used to shop at ALDI all the time but now with the prices so similar to Coles and Woolies, I mainly shop at Woolies click and collect!’ another shared.

‘Rather pay a little bit extra for someone to do my shopping instead of having to pack my bags. Saves so much time.’

The post also captured the attention of a Woolworths spokesperson, who highlighted the initiatives that offer more value to customers.

'We know many of our customers choose Woolworths for our wide range of high-quality products at competitive prices in over 1,000 locations across Australia. We are committed to offering competitive prices,’ the representative said.

‘We understand customers are looking for great value across our stores and that’s why we’ve dropped the price of more than 400 everyday essentials for Autumn and continue to offer more than 6,000 specials across the store each and every week.’

Woolworths provides various services to support busy families, including home delivery, in-store pickup, and Direct to Boot.

The supermarket’s Everyday Rewards program also helps 1.3 million customers save $10 or more of their monthly shopping.

According to the Woolies spokesperson, the company has an Australian First Fresh Sourcing Policy, ensuring that all fresh meat, milk, eggs, and chicken come from Australian farmers, and 96% of their fruit and vegetables are grown in Australia.

Customers are encouraged to check Woolworths' weekly catalogue, either in-store or online, for the latest specials.

A Coles representative also commented on the matter, saying: ‘Coles is committed to helping our customers’ budgets go further and we provide value in many different ways.’

‘Each week, we have an average of 6,500 products on special at one time and in January we “DROPPED&LOCKED” the price of more than 300 essential items to ensure customers could rely on the price of staple products like chicken, mince, rice, yoghurt, cleaning products and pet food until after Easter.’

‘From today, customers are able to scan their Flybuys not only to collect points which they can use to save money off their shop, but they will also earn credits to redeem on free MasterChef cookware which they can use in their kitchens.’

The spokesperson also mentioned the convenience options available to customers, stating that ‘shoppers at Coles can also opt to shop online and have their groceries delivered to their doorstep or select Click & Collect, which is a free delivery-to-boot service.’

Key Takeaways

• A shopper compared the prices of 23 everyday items at Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI to determine which supermarket offered the cheapest groceries.
  • The list showed that ALDI was the same or cheaper than Coles and Woolworths, with the price gap ranging from one cent to $6.51.
  • Many shoppers believe it pays to shop around all the major supermarkets to get the best prices each week, especially when considering weekly specials at Coles and Woolworths.
  • Woolworths and Coles' spokespersons stated that they are committed to offering competitive prices and various forms of value to their customers, such as a wide range of products or the Flybuys reward system, respectively.

There you have it, folks! Whatever your supermarket of choice, it pays to be prepared and always have a shopping list of essentials as well as price points ready.

Whether it’s price matching at Woolworths or taking advantage of ALDI’s special buys, your grocery coins could be stretched a lot further with a little extra effort.

So, members, what are your tips and tricks to help you save on your weekly grocery costs? Let us know in the comments below!
You might save a little bit at aldi but you can't get everything you need there, and spend the rest in in petrol going to a centre with Woolies and Coles. Base your meals around the specials so you dont pay full price.

A
You might save a little bit at aldi but you can't get everything you need there, and spend the rest in in petrol going to a centre with Woolies and Coles. Base your meals around the specials so you dont pay full price.
Agree

All is well & good when comparing current prices..... has anyone looked at the pieces for the same period last year???? I you will find the we are being "fleeced". I keep a record of prices on my computer..... extortionate. Watch for the tricks.. they keep an item off show for three weeks and then it comes back at a higher price and sometimes is a different packaging. In some cases there is a change in weght/dimensions... so you get hit with a double whammo....

Key Takeaways

I don’t know where this person shopped but cream cheese is not that expensive
I was also surprised to see that price. Last time I bought a cream cheese block at Aldi it was only around $5-$6. Way cheaper than the other supermarkets though on that item.

Most supermarkets put up their prices then offer sales. Example, Coles crisps used to be $2.50. Price rise of 20% to $3.
Other foods especially necessities, keep rising in price.
Still better to shop local smaller businesses, even though prices may be a little higher.

Key Takeaways

I'd go to Aldi to look for an alternative choice whichever particular item becomes too expensive to me at Woolies. It amazes me from time to time. It does involve a bit more exercises of shopping around, butI like that. (*^ω^*)

Reactions: Leodalion63
I find I can buy everything I use at Aldi, yes, some brands might be different but are are good quality, whereas, I walked around Coles last week and thought to myself wow I cant afford to shop here anymore. Overall Aldi prices on most staples are cheaper but maybe some of the things that are not really staples can be more expensive than other supermarkets its all about choice anyway if you don't like Aldi don't shop there.

Reactions: Leodalion63

Key Takeaways

The price comparisons were very interesting indeed. Well done to the customer that did that. In my opinion for the couple of cents saved were using more for petrol going from supermarket to supermarket unless they are very close by. Our Woolworths and Coles are in the same area so you don’t need to move your car. That is always not the case. I mainly shop at Coles but I do look at the catalogues. Aldi I love going to see what’s offering in their centre isles, some good bargains there.

Key Takeaways

I have a querie how long does a product constantly remain on “sale” at the same price before that price becomes its normal price? I indulge in my love of T-bone steak by buying myself one per fortnight when pension comes in and I do my big shop (well not so big these days). It always has a special ticket saying $30 per kilo at my local Coles where I always shop. This “special” price has been the same for so many months I can’t remember when it
wasn’t $30 p/kilo!

Reactions: debjoel21
I shop with a list using the Our Groceries app. I have a seperate list for Coles, Woolies & Aldi. I check the unit prices online first for Coles & Woolies & make a note in the app then go to Aldi first (shame u can’t check all their prices online). I also try & shop where all 3 supermarkets are in the same shopping centre or very close by.