Where to get the best deals on your Christmas groceries this year: Coles, Woolworths or ALDI?

Christmas is a time for giving, spending time with those we love, and of course – eating! Lots and lots of delicious and (mostly) healthy food.

But as any savvy shopper knows, all that festive feasting comes at a cost. We can all see that the cost of groceries has increased, making Christmas even more expensive.

If you’re feeling the pinch this holiday season but still want to enjoy all your favourite Christmas foods without breaking the bank, then you’ll need to know where to shop. But where can you get the best deals on your holiday food? Is it from Coles, Woolworths, or ALDI?

Frugl, a grocery price comparison app, revealed which store offers the most affordable prices for customers.

In a recent report, Frugl compiled a list of the cost of Christmas must-haves at major Aussie supermarket chains – from staples such as ham, turkey, and the trimmings, to snacks like cheese and crackers, and desserts such as pavlova and mince pies.

And according to the numbers, Coles beat out ALDI and Woolies as the cheapest place to do your Christmas shopping this year.

1frugl.jpg
Frugl deemed Coles as the cheapest place to shop for groceries this Christmas. Credit: Sora Shimazaki/Pexels

Coles shoppers will spend an average of $143.75 on their standard Christmas shopping list – making it the cheapest place to shop by a small margin. This is followed by Woolworths at $147.56, with ALDI coming in as the most expensive place to do your festive food shopping at $149.03.

One possible reason for ALDI's slightly higher prices could be that they source many of their products from overseas rather than locally.

Sean Smith, Frugl’s Managing Director, said in a statement: ‘Shoppers should carefully watch where the retailers are sourcing their products from, as we have found that Coles and Woolworths are far more likely to stock a greater range of Australian grown and produced products than ALDI.’

The analysis also showed that while some items were hit by inflation, staple goods such as the leg ham still held the same price as last year – due to supermarkets becoming more price competitive.

coles.jpg
Where do you like to shop? Credit: Coles

To better explain, Mr Smith gave an example: ‘Australian smoked half leg hams still had the same price as last year in Coles and Woolworths (at $8.50 per kg). ALDI also holds the same price. Complement this with a side of frozen cut beans, which are $2.20 across the board.’

Mr Smith also shared that the ‘iconic’ pavlova at Coles and Woolies remained price steady (at $5.40 each), and the toppings, such as fresh raspberries, were found to be slightly cheaper at Coles and ALDI (at $4 each).

He also said shoppers looking to get the best deals should start their preparations early to take advantage of the rolling discounts.

‘Don’t leave it until the last minute, there are a lot of items going on promotion and they will change every week.’

Key Takeaways

• Coles is the cheapest place to shop for Christmas groceries this year, with a basket of essentials costing $143.75, according to the grocery price comparison app, Frugl.
  • Woolworths is the second cheapest place to shop, with a basket of essentials costing $147.56.
  • ALDI comes in third, with a basket of essentials costing $149.03.
What are your thoughts? Do you agree that Coles has the best prices? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
You need to shop around. Coles in my area is so expensive 2745. Only pick up the specials. I do mostly ALDI but I do pop into Woolies for their specials. ALDI fruit and veges IM SURE MYST VE SECOND QUALITY ..they look so bad ..I prefer idd bunch from Woolies or the Greengrocer. Everything is creeping up at ALDI and not by 10c either more like a dollar E g. Olive oil..their red near us shocking...can't eat it. I gave to buy their port forget the beef 😑
In my area, there are 2 Woolies, 1 Coles ( which I never shop at) & 2 Aldis. I have never had a problem with the fruit & veg at Aldi. They are locally sourced & always fresh. I send my s-i-l. to Woolies for milk & eggs & chicken necks for the dogs. But everything else comes from Aldi. I am a very happy customer.

Reactions: Ezzy
I can only do online shopping because I can’t get into the stores for medical reasons. I order through Woolworths because even though I joined Coles I don’t know how to use it. I checked prices but didn’t seem much different from what I am doing now. I know some people go on about saving their rewards for Christmas but I don’t think it is so great. I claim my rewards money as soon as it comes availabile. It is like cash in the hand I believe but to each his own. I find Woolworths to be pretty good when you have a problem with an item. Their drivers even put my frozen things in the freezer for me because I use a walker.
Big mistake is taking off our rewards points for online delivery and charging for our bags

Reactions: Ezzy