SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

Athena E.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 1, 2023
When TV stations switched to colour television

Remember when TVs switched to colour for the first time? It was like the world had suddenly turned technicolour, and everyone was glued to their screens, seeing their favourite shows in a whole new way. 4

Check out this video to see the exact moment TV stations around the globe made the switch.

Share your nostalgic memories with us here!

Last edited:
Yes, I remember when we went to colour in Aust in 1975. I was 14 and recall we had to borrow my older sisters colour TV to watch the shows that aired to celebrate the introduction of colour TV!! My Dad was too mean to buy a colour set haha! Well, not long after the old b & w telly blew up and My Mum then insisted we get a new colour. Dad agreed, but my lovely sister gave us her telly. This was due to her boyfriend moving in, and they didn't need another one! Very excited to watch Countdown in colour haha!

we came here in November 1974 it was a bit of a shock to find black and white TV as the UK had it from 1967 !!!!
We arrived in Australia as 10 pound poms in 1970 and we bought a 2nd hand TV that didn't work but the detector van discovered our set and my wife received a fine for not having a TV license.