What's this bizarre object that washed up on an Australian beach?

It's the kind of event one might expect to happen in a sci-fi movie or novel: an underwater hunt for treasure. However, the recent discovery of a metal cylinder washed up on a beach in Western Australia has left the locals baffled!

It all began on Sunday afternoon when residents stumbled upon the object on a beach near Green Head. Noticing its mysterious appearance and unusual size—reportedly standing at least 2 metres tall—they promptly notified the authorities, who immediately initiated an investigation.

'At this time, Water Police are trying to identify the type and origin of the item,' a Western Australia Police spokesperson told a news outlet, explaining that they were 'liaising with national maritime partners to identify the item'.

The first theory was that the curious item could have been a part of an aeroplane, but an aviation expert quickly dispensed with that idea, carrying out his own investigation and determining that the object most likely came from a rocket and was not part of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (which mysteriously disappeared a few years ago).

Screen Shot 2023-07-17 at 1.14.02 PM.png
The military is helping investigate a large mystery object that washed ashore on WA's coast. Credit: 7NEWS.

More confusion followed when the person who found the cylinder thought it was part of a plane's sewage system, though this, too, was yet to be confirmed by authorities. Furthermore, cables or wires were seen hanging from the top of the cylinder, adding to the air of mystery.

Organisations such as the police, the Australian Defence Force and maritime partners have all since joined the investigation, attempting to shed some light on the curious find and decipher its origin.

This isn't the first mysterious object to have been washed onto our shores either—just three weeks ago, the army was called in to investigate another peculiar device that had been sighted floating close to shore at North Beach in Perth.

In that case, the object which was found by a member of the public was, in fact, a marine flare, albeit one with a warning that was inscribed on its side.

And the solution to this particular mystery didn't come without a bang—police were forced to cordon off part of the beach while they carried out their investigations, eventually detonating the flare on the sand approximately three hours later.

A local surfer was interviewed and said he had been kept away from the flare by the police.

'I usually come in at a certain section of the reef, but the police waved me away from it,' he said. He also mentioned that the flare was approximately one metre long and had become 'a bit of a hot topic' among North Beach locals.

Key Takeaways

• A mysterious large metallic cylinder washed up on a Western Australian beach, sparking a military review.
  • The object's origin is yet to be determined, with possibilities ranging from an aeroplane part to a rocket fragment.
  • The Australian Defence Force, police, and maritime partners are currently investigating the object.
  • This discovery follows a previous incident where an unidentified object, later found to be a marine flare, washed up on a Perth beach.

Members, with all these intriguing discoveries, it's like being caught in a whirlwind of mysteries. Who knows what astonishing surprises await us next? Let's cross our fingers and hope for something a little less dramatic, shall we?

In the meantime, if you happen to stumble upon anything peculiar, we urge you not to play detective. Instead, take heed of the wise counsel from the authorities and promptly reach out to the police. Remember, it's always better to be safe than sorry!

On a lighter note, we'd love to hear if any of you have encountered strange objects washed up on your own local beach—share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
It's the kind of event one might expect to happen in a sci-fi movie or novel: an underwater hunt for treasure. However, the recent discovery of a metal cylinder washed up on a beach in Western Australia has left the locals baffled!

It all began on Sunday afternoon when residents stumbled upon the object on a beach near Green Head. Noticing its mysterious appearance and unusual size—reportedly standing at least 2 metres tall—they promptly notified the authorities, who immediately initiated an investigation.

'At this time, Water Police are trying to identify the type and origin of the item,' a Western Australia Police spokesperson told a news outlet, explaining that they were 'liaising with national maritime partners to identify the item'.

The first theory was that the curious item could have been a part of an aeroplane, but an aviation expert quickly dispensed with that idea, carrying out his own investigation and determining that the object most likely came from a rocket and was not part of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (which mysteriously disappeared a few years ago).

View attachment 25297
The military is helping investigate a large mystery object that washed ashore on WA's coast. Credit: 7NEWS.

More confusion followed when the person who found the cylinder thought it was part of a plane's sewage system, though this, too, was yet to be confirmed by authorities. Furthermore, cables or wires were seen hanging from the top of the cylinder, adding to the air of mystery.

Organisations such as the police, the Australian Defence Force and maritime partners have all since joined the investigation, attempting to shed some light on the curious find and decipher its origin.

This isn't the first mysterious object to have been washed onto our shores either—just three weeks ago, the army was called in to investigate another peculiar device that had been sighted floating close to shore at North Beach in Perth.

In that case, the object which was found by a member of the public was, in fact, a marine flare, albeit one with a warning that was inscribed on its side.

And the solution to this particular mystery didn't come without a bang—police were forced to cordon off part of the beach while they carried out their investigations, eventually detonating the flare on the sand approximately three hours later.

A local surfer was interviewed and said he had been kept away from the flare by the police.

'I usually come in at a certain section of the reef, but the police waved me away from it,' he said. He also mentioned that the flare was approximately one metre long and had become 'a bit of a hot topic' among North Beach locals.

Key Takeaways

• A mysterious large metallic cylinder washed up on a Western Australian beach, sparking a military review.
  • The object's origin is yet to be determined, with possibilities ranging from an aeroplane part to a rocket fragment.
  • The Australian Defence Force, police, and maritime partners are currently investigating the object.
  • This discovery follows a previous incident where an unidentified object, later found to be a marine flare, washed up on a Perth beach.

Members, with all these intriguing discoveries, it's like being caught in a whirlwind of mysteries. Who knows what astonishing surprises await us next? Let's cross our fingers and hope for something a little less dramatic, shall we?

In the meantime, if you happen to stumble upon anything peculiar, we urge you not to play detective. Instead, take heed of the wise counsel from the authorities and promptly reach out to the police. Remember, it's always better to be safe than sorry!

On a lighter note, we'd love to hear if any of you have encountered strange objects washed up on your own local beach—share them with us in the comments below!
My first thought when I saw it was it was a plane part, and thought of the M370 flight. I was hoping in a way it might be to help bring some closure for the victim's loved ones...

I was a strange object once.
When I was young, I got caught in a whopper wave and ended up a blithering mess on the shoreline.
People came to help me but they just stood there and looked at me. Or, I think that's what happened.
I never went back to the surf. It was rockpools or the public baths from there on.

• Haha
Reactions: Wandiwa and Jen77au

View attachment 25297

Key Takeaways

My first take on it was, "It looks like some part of a rocket," but I could be wrong. It's definitely not anything to do with an aircraft in my opinion.

Reactions: Wandiwa and Jen77au
II
My first take on it was, "It looks like some part of a rocket," but I could be wrong. It's definitely not anything to do with an aircraft in my opinion.
I've heard that a few times now and it makes sense. I was thinking aircraft because of the shape the propellor casing (or whatever it is) near the wings. Obviously I'm absolutely clueless about that stuff, but it's what I thought of when I saw it 🤣

View attachment 25297

Key Takeaways