What's the worst part of being an Aussie actress? Cate Blanchett reveals the truth

The beloved Hollywood star, Cate Blanchett, recently opened up about an annoyance she faces as a top-tier Aussie actress.

But hold your breath— it's not the pesky paparazzi or even scribbling autographs while enjoying her morning latte. Nope, it's something far more ordinary: taking a regular old taxi ride.

In an interview with Courier Mail, Cate revealed that despite her worldwide recognition and accolades, she couldn't help but feel a tad uneasy when asked about her profession right in her own homeland, Australia.

'The worst thing for us as an actor in Australia is getting in the back of a cab and a cabbie asking “What do you do?” Because you think, “Oh, God…”' she said.

Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 3.10.25 PM.png
Cate Blanchett revealed there is a downside to being a world-famous actress, at least when it comes to her homeland, Australia. Credit: Facebook/The Academy.

It's not the question itself but rather the underlying dismissive attitude towards arts and its professionals in the country that makes her uncomfortable.

'You're constantly having to fight for the space or to justify the fact that you have the right to actually be an artist in Australia,' she explained.

These words from a world-famous actress serve as a crucial reminder of how Aussies ought to value artists and the cultural contributions they make. It's interesting how she contrasts the local attitude with an international perspective where Aussie talents like herself are greatly celebrated.

'Yet overseas, our culture is celebrated and sung and praised, but we don't often do it internally,' Cate noted. 'We don't often know what we have here. And living and working overseas, I can see absolutely objectively what we have here.'

Cate is currently enjoying her time in Sydney, busy with promotional activities for her newest film, The New Boy. Just a while ago, she dazzled the crowd at Cannes as well, where she was promoting the captivating drama that features her as a nun with a rather rebellious side.

Cate Blanchett shot to fame with her outstanding performance in the 1998 historical drama Elizabeth. Her portrayal of Queen Elizabeth I in the film received widespread acclaim, landing her the first-ever Academy Award nomination for 'Best Actress' in her career.

Although she later mesmerised audiences as Galadriel in the epic Lord of the Rings trilogy, Cate didn't secure her first Academy Award until 2005.

It was in that year that she finally seized the prestigious accolade for 'Best Supporting Actress'. At 54, Cate won the Oscar for portraying another legendary actress, Katharine Hepburn, in The Aviator.

Credit: The Project.

This remarkable achievement made Cate the sole actress to ever receive an Academy Award for playing a fellow actress in a movie.

Since her initial Oscar triumph, the talented star of Carol has continued to captivate audiences, earning a remarkable eight additional Academy Award nominations.

Behind the scenes, the beloved global acting icon shares her life with the talented Australian playwright Andrew Upton, and together they have four wonderful children.

Cate and Andrew's family is a delightful blend of three boys—Dashiell, Roman, and Ignatius—and a charming daughter named Edith.

It was in the late 1990s when Andrew, who not only is a gifted screenwriter and director but also happens to be Cate's husband, got down on one knee and popped the question to the leading lady.

Ever since this hardworking power couple has been on an amazing journey together, and they officially tied the knot in December 1997.

Key Takeaways

• Cate Blanchett shared her experience of feeling the need to justify her role as an actor in Australia.
  • She stated that actors are more valued overseas and Australia should internally celebrate and acknowledge the talent it has.
  • During her promotional trip to Sydney for her latest film, The New Boy, she discussed her observations on cultural appreciation.

So, the next time you’re making small talk in a taxi, remember Cate’s story and her desire for more appreciation for the arts in Australia.

What are your thoughts on this story, members? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
All well and good to be proud of her work but she is coming accross as thinking she is better then us lowly, ordinary people. Why do most celebrities think their opinion really matters to others? I fully respect her right to have an opinion but don't be disappointed if I don't agree with it. I am under no illusions, my opinions don't really matter either...

Last edited:
The beloved Hollywood star, Cate Blanchett, recently opened up about an annoyance she faces as a top-tier Aussie actress.

But hold your breath— it's not the pesky paparazzi or even scribbling autographs while enjoying her morning latte. Nope, it's something far more ordinary: taking a regular old taxi ride.

In an interview with Courier Mail, Cate revealed that despite her worldwide recognition and accolades, she couldn't help but feel a tad uneasy when asked about her profession right in her own homeland, Australia.

'The worst thing for us as an actor in Australia is getting in the back of a cab and a cabbie asking “What do you do?” Because you think, “Oh, God…”' she said.

View attachment 24082
Cate Blanchett revealed there is a downside to being a world-famous actress, at least when it comes to her homeland, Australia. Credit: Facebook/The Academy.

It's not the question itself but rather the underlying dismissive attitude towards arts and its professionals in the country that makes her uncomfortable.

'You're constantly having to fight for the space or to justify the fact that you have the right to actually be an artist in Australia,' she explained.

These words from a world-famous actress serve as a crucial reminder of how Aussies ought to value artists and the cultural contributions they make. It's interesting how she contrasts the local attitude with an international perspective where Aussie talents like herself are greatly celebrated.

'Yet overseas, our culture is celebrated and sung and praised, but we don't often do it internally,' Cate noted. 'We don't often know what we have here. And living and working overseas, I can see absolutely objectively what we have here.'

Cate is currently enjoying her time in Sydney, busy with promotional activities for her newest film, The New Boy. Just a while ago, she dazzled the crowd at Cannes as well, where she was promoting the captivating drama that features her as a nun with a rather rebellious side.

Cate Blanchett shot to fame with her outstanding performance in the 1998 historical drama Elizabeth. Her portrayal of Queen Elizabeth I in the film received widespread acclaim, landing her the first-ever Academy Award nomination for 'Best Actress' in her career.

Although she later mesmerised audiences as Galadriel in the epic Lord of the Rings trilogy, Cate didn't secure her first Academy Award until 2005.

It was in that year that she finally seized the prestigious accolade for 'Best Supporting Actress'. At 54, Cate won the Oscar for portraying another legendary actress, Katharine Hepburn, in The Aviator.

This remarkable achievement made Cate the sole actress to ever receive an Academy Award for playing a fellow actress in a movie.

Since her initial Oscar triumph, the talented star of Carol has continued to captivate audiences, earning a remarkable eight additional Academy Award nominations.

Behind the scenes, the beloved global acting icon shares her life with the talented Australian playwright Andrew Upton, and together they have four wonderful children.

Cate and Andrew's family is a delightful blend of three boys—Dashiell, Roman, and Ignatius—and a charming daughter named Edith.

It was in the late 1990s when Andrew, who not only is a gifted screenwriter and director but also happens to be Cate's husband, got down on one knee and popped the question to the leading lady.

Ever since this hardworking power couple has been on an amazing journey together, and they officially tied the knot in December 1997.

Key Takeaways

• Cate Blanchett shared her experience of feeling the need to justify her role as an actor in Australia.
  • She stated that actors are more valued overseas and Australia should internally celebrate and acknowledge the talent it has.
  • During her promotional trip to Sydney for her latest film, The New Boy, she discussed her observations on cultural appreciation.

So, the next time you’re making small talk in a taxi, remember Cate’s story and her desire for more appreciation for the arts in Australia.

What are your thoughts on this story, members? Let us know in the comments below!

I spent 30+ years in that world from performing to directing/producing and yes it can be a cocoon existence... some feeling they're a notch above the plebs and sometimes preaching their opinions as gospel from some moral and/or political highground. The hugely successful, like Cate, have a ton of security around them. Can't imagine her hailing a cab;)

Why would Cate care if a taxi driver didn't recognize her. I would imagine someone in her calibre would appreciate being incognito, but of course she's here flogging her new film, so she would want to be noticed. Not sure about her comment with regards to Australian cultural arts. My friend's daughter gets continual work in musicals around Australia. Those shows get packed out, which is a nod to recognition of the arts.

View attachment 24082

Key Takeaways

not that keen on this one after the skiing episode.

View attachment 24082

Key Takeaways

To be fair, a cabbie doesn’t expect an Academy Award winning actress to get into his taxi. Given he's looking in the mirror, I'm not surprised he doesn't recognise her.

Besides, even if she looked familiar, you would probably think that she looks like Cate, rather than actually being her.

Actors used to be just that, or artistes as they called themselves.
Artists have always been a different breed.

How up herself is she! So a taxi driver didn't know who she is, whoopee. I don't expect taxi drivers to know who I am or what I do for a living. He didn't have to but made the effort of small talk, which makes him a nice person not one to be criticised. And then she cries lack of Australian adulation for her work, which you would expect her income takes care of. My pay was recognition of my work and no-one was expected to additionally sing my praises. If creatives want to pursue their insecure professions for the sake of their talents/fame/money, then do it. They are chasing the elusive dollar, just like us, the difference being we don't expect special extras.

In my 87 years I have met and got to know a few celebs, but unless they were close friends I would never recognise them in public as they like their privacy. The most I would do is just a nod of the head and that would be it. When I lived on the Gold Coast, Normie Rowe would always come and buy a badge from me at the RSL stand at Helensvale. He knew I recognised him but never made a dance about it. We were just Vietnam Vets recognising each other.

View attachment 24082

Key Takeaways

She puts her pants on, the same as everyone else one leg at a time, get over yourself, you are well paid for what you do.

Well, I for one disagree with everyone that thinks she should 'get over herself' She certainly has a great deal of talent which most people wouldn't even recognise. I as an amateur actress really wish I had the talent she has. Yes, it brings rewards but also many disappointments. The more so if you are not lauded in your own country. Think how much worse it is for someone who has a minimum of talent & will never see themselves meeting their own expectations. ie ME! The only thing I could play now is the old lady in The Importance of Being Ernest who says A Handbag!

View attachment 24082

Key Takeaways

Cate

View attachment 24082

Key Takeaways

Cate get over yourself enjoy the peace and quiet I'd probably walk straight past you and wouldn't know you from a bar off soap so be happy

I have something very important to say. Sookie Lah Lah
I suppose she'll just have to take her $millions and scoot off back to Lah Lah land so she can be recognised walking down the street then whine about Paparazzi.

Just get over yourself, the whole world doesn’t revolve around you Cate!!
Not a fan of her movies at all - no depth to her acting craft - too many historical (hysterical) dramas for my liking. Now if you are talking about Aussie actors, the likes of Debra Mailman et al. these are true dramatic actors in the daily vein of Australian life. Not as famous as such, but much more realistic.