What's the dark secret hidden in this familiar nursery rhyme? You'll be surprised!

Upon reflecting on our childhood, it's not unusual to recall the melodies and lyrics of popular nursery rhymes. From 'Jack and Jill' to 'Ring Around the Rosie', these verses and tunes have somehow found their way to the core of our very early memories and were shared by generations of children who innocently chanted the rhymes, oblivious to any deeper meanings or shocking histories they may possess.

That's right, some of our cherished nursery rhymes are not as sweet and benign as we remember them to be. It's like peering through your favourite childhood cartoon as an adult and noticing jokes and references that completely flew over your head as a youngster.

That's what we're delving into today. How much do you know about the nursery rhymes you've been singing since childhood?

Perhaps, you've sung 'It's raining, it's pouring; the old man is snoring...' day in and day out as a lullaby suitable for a nursery or a class singalong. But have you ever stopped to question its meaning?

Here's what most of us casually recite:

'It's raining, it's pouring,
the old man is snoring
he went to bed and bumped his head
and couldn't get up in the morning.'
On face value, as we've always understood, it's a playful children's rhyme about an old man who, unfortunately, had a bumpy night.

That is until we stumbled upon this viral video on social media by 'StupidLittleGenius', which has given us pause and a new perspective about our dear old man from the nursery rhyme.

In a shocking reveal, 'StupidLittleGenius' enlightened her viewers about the dark reality of the old man's episode. Interestingly, the story has less to do with rain, snoring, and unfortunate clumsiness and much more to do with deeper and adult issues.

She started deciphering the familiar verse, stating the rhyme 'has nothing to do with the weather at all’.

photo (2).jpg
‘Stupid Little Genius’ shared the dark secret behind the familiar nursery rhyme. Credit: @stupidlittlegenius/TikTok

It turns out that 'it's raining and pouring' refers to free-flowing spirited drinks being poured like it's typical of a heavy downpour. Contrary to our innocent belief, the old man wasn't a poor fellow with sleep apnea but quite a heavy drinker.

'Yes, the old man was in a very drunken state,' she continued.

Following his high inebriation, he decided to retire to bed, where he stumbled and bumped his head. This was no ordinary bump, as he, sadly, 'couldn't get up in the morning… because well… he was dead’.

According to her, the unfortunate fate of the old man could likely have resulted from a catastrophic head injury, likely a plot intended as a cautionary tale about the risks of excessive drinking.

The viral video racked up an astounding 195,000 views and nearly 150 comments. The comment section lit up with viewers sharing their surprised reactions and interpretations of the seemingly harmless nursery rhyme.

One user commented, 'I'm traumatised by this. I've discovered so many stories of nursery rhymes.’

While others humorously accused the creator of ruining their childhood memories with the dark revelation.

‘My childhood is officially ruined,’ one declared in the comment section.

Key Takeaways
  • People are discovering the dark meaning behind the popular childhood rhyme 'It's Raining, It's Pouring'.
  • The interpretation of the rhyme was revealed online by a woman with the username 'StupidLittleGenius'.
  • They suggested that the rhyme isn’t about the weather but rather a cautionary tale about overindulgence in alcohol.
  • The video revealing this interpretation has prompted mixed reactions, with some expressing shock and others sharing their theories about the rhyme's meaning.

Ultimately, interpretation varies from person to person. However, now we're left wondering how many of our other favourite nursery rhymes come with a hidden side of adult gravitas.

So the next time you catch yourself humming an old familiar tune from childhood, pause and consider what you're actually singing. You never know what secret messages you might uncover!

Watch the full video here:

Do you know other nursery rhymes with dark meanings behind them? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
Upon reflecting on our childhood, it's not unusual to recall the melodies and lyrics of popular nursery rhymes. From 'Jack and Jill' to 'Ring Around the Rosie', these verses and tunes have somehow found their way to the core of our very early memories and were shared by generations of children who innocently chanted the rhymes, oblivious to any deeper meanings or shocking histories they may possess.

That's right, some of our cherished nursery rhymes are not as sweet and benign as we remember them to be. It's like peering through your favourite childhood cartoon as an adult and noticing jokes and references that completely flew over your head as a youngster.

That's what we're delving into today. How much do you know about the nursery rhymes you've been singing since childhood?

Perhaps, you've sung 'It's raining, it's pouring; the old man is snoring...' day in and day out as a lullaby suitable for a nursery or a class singalong. But have you ever stopped to question its meaning?

the old man is snoring
On face value, as we've always understood, it's a playful children's rhyme about an old man who, unfortunately, had a bumpy night.

That is until we stumbled upon this viral video on social media by 'StupidLittleGenius', which has given us pause and a new perspective about our dear old man from the nursery rhyme.

In a shocking reveal, 'StupidLittleGenius' enlightened her viewers about the dark reality of the old man's episode. Interestingly, the story has less to do with rain, snoring, and unfortunate clumsiness and much more to do with deeper and adult issues.

She started deciphering the familiar verse, stating the rhyme 'has nothing to do with the weather at all’.

View attachment 27161
‘Stupid Little Genius’ shared the dark secret behind the familiar nursery rhyme. Credit: @stupidlittlegenius/TikTok

It turns out that 'it's raining and pouring' refers to free-flowing spirited drinks being poured like it's typical of a heavy downpour. Contrary to our innocent belief, the old man wasn't a poor fellow with sleep apnea but quite a heavy drinker.

Following his high inebriation, he decided to retire to bed, where he stumbled and bumped his head. This was no ordinary bump, as he, sadly, 'couldn't get up in the morning… because well… he was dead’.

According to her, the unfortunate fate of the old man could likely have resulted from a catastrophic head injury, likely a plot intended as a cautionary tale about the risks of excessive drinking.

The viral video racked up an astounding 195,000 views and nearly 150 comments. The comment section lit up with viewers sharing their surprised reactions and interpretations of the seemingly harmless nursery rhyme.

One user commented, 'I'm traumatised by this. I've discovered so many stories of nursery rhymes.’

While others humorously accused the creator of ruining their childhood memories with the dark revelation.

Key Takeaways

• People are discovering the dark meaning behind the popular childhood rhyme 'It's Raining, It's Pouring'.
  • The interpretation of the rhyme was revealed online by a woman with the username 'StupidLittleGenius'.
  • They suggested that the rhyme isn’t about the weather but rather a cautionary tale about overindulgence in alcohol.
  • The video revealing this interpretation has prompted mixed reactions, with some expressing shock and others sharing their theories about the rhyme's meaning.

Ultimately, interpretation varies from person to person. However, now we're left wondering how many of our other favourite nursery rhymes come with a hidden side of adult gravitas.

So the next time you catch yourself humming an old familiar tune from childhood, pause and consider what you're actually singing. You never know what secret messages you might uncover!

Do you know other nursery rhymes with dark meanings behind them? Share them in the comments below!

Figured this was it from the start of the story as i've heard the dark sides to many a nursery rhyme over the years. They were meant to teach or warn kids about dangers but the 'genius' who wrote them made them so cryptically camouflaged that not many if any kids did or would've got what it was.

I wonder if it's just this persons' interpretations of these childhood rhymes????? In my opinion all she's doing is spoiling the songs and rhymes we all remember from our childhood. To each his/her own thoughts on them.
I agree with you - this is her own interpretation of the nursery rhymes. There are certainly historical backgrounds to some of these rhymes, but that is also open to interpretation, eg Ring o' Roses is supposedly based on the great plague of 1665.

The thing about an opinion (including mine) is that everyone seems to have one.

History is basically one person's opinion of what happened from their perspective on a particular day or during a particular time. I brought this up in 3rd year high when the teacher told us as she tapped a history book that an event happened.

But maybe it happened differently? It doesn't mean the account of the observer is wrong, it's just that one person's opinion of what another is writing about, can be different to another's.

The nursery rhyme 'Ring a ring of roses a pocket full of posies ah tissue ah tissue we all fall down? sure, that sounds like plague times, is humpty dumpty a rhyme about some monarch, who fell from grace? Could be, however, they can't all be bad.

What I mean is that it is entirely possible, that there is not always sad bad and evil intent within children's nursery rhymes and if so? Man, what a world.

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji

the old man is snoring

View attachment 27161

Key Takeaways

I assume that the writer of this news story (?) is paid good money for being a journalist. This newsletter is rapidly becoming a, what I call, a trash mag. Shrinking biscuits, an evil h hidden agenda in a nursery rhyme! Can we get something that is a little more stimulating please????

Reactions: Ashmenou
I agree with you - this is her own interpretation of the nursery rhymes. There are certainly historical backgrounds to some of these rhymes, but that is also open to interpretation, eg Ring o' Roses is supposedly based on the great plague of 1665.
agree. Many are steeped in historical events. I've read many of my life. The rhymes were meant to scare kids re their behaviour. Ring or Rosie I knew about in childhood. And George Porgie was about one of the King George's activities.

Reactions: Frida1944
OMG who honestly cares, why is it that there is always someone out there that will do their best to find "evil" in everything. Get a life.
My, oh my. Everything one says or does these days is being twisted into something it most probably is not. More like it that there are many twisted minds out there today that will see evil in everything nowadays. Enid Blyton was described by another probably ‘twisted mind’ as being ‘gay’ and so the stories by this author were suddenly removed from shelves.

This world of ours is becoming warped, very, very, very rapidly. Let’s look on the brighter side of life for a change and not work some stupid interpretation into everything we hear, see and do PLEASE. I’m grateful that I’m now almost into my 80s and don’t have much time left (I hope) to put up with listening and seeing so much evil and warped interpretation of everything around every corner.

My thoughts. Do some of these people who interpret things and declare them to be the ‘truth’ in so many issues, not just nursery rhymes, have actual evidence that their view is factual and better still were they there hundreds of years ago to say it is about a war, a plague etc??

the old man is snoring

View attachment 27161

Key Takeaways

She has her own interpretation of this rhythm probably a tea totaller or a cupboard drinker 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣I'm still waiting for all these kid's that can't find a rainbow sheep how their mental health will go white ,black and brown when I grew up 🤔

If you listen to some you will hear bad in everything.
It's just they way someone pulls it apart and interprets it.

How can the old man be dead , he was snoring.

There are however nursery rhymes that were made from dark times for eg Ring a ring of roses 🌹

Ring-a-ring of roses,
A pocketful of posies;
A-tishoo! A-tishoo!
We all fall down.

Everyone knows that this nursery rhyme has its origins in the Plague — either the Great Plague that afflicted London or the much wider Black Death.
The first and third lines describe two of the symptoms of the disease, the second refers to the practice of carrying pockets-full of sweet-smelling flowers to ward off infection, and the final line is a clear reference to the inevitable outcome.

Also Humpty Dumpty was actually a cannon up on a wall during a civil war. The cannon was knocked of the wall and couldn't be fixed.

No matter how they were written or what they were about they are part of our childhood and kids do not interpret then this way . Unfortunately kids nolonger learn these in school

Last edited:

the old man is snoring

View attachment 27161

Key Takeaways

nearly all of them, Little Jack Horner sat in the corner is about theft etc in London, its a bit like disney beautifying fairy tales, if you read the original you certainly wouldn't read them to your kids

the old man is snoring

View attachment 27161

Key Takeaways

I grew up with Hans Christian Anderson and Bros Grimm as well as others and they were all pretty grim but had morals to the stories. Little verses like the ones mentioned, I learnt foreign language ones. It's very interesting the stories behind them.

I grew up with Hans Christian Anderson and Bros Grimm as well as others and they were all pretty grim but had morals to the stories. Little verses like the ones mentioned, I learnt foreign language ones. It's very interesting the stories behind them.
I agree that the stories behind nursery rhymes and fairy tales are very interesting

the old man is snoring

View attachment 27161

Key Takeaways

Apparently, these so called "experts'" definitely either have a very lonely and nasty life, as they have to ruin our great Fairy Tales that we have enjoyed singing when we were young and have taught our children and grandchildren. For goodness grow up and " Get a life, " and leave our Nursery Rhymes alone.