What's lurking in your washing machine? Unsettling discovery prompts hundreds to check this often-overlooked part!

Although it is meant to be a device that cleans, washing machines also need cleaning, and ignoring this requirement may lead to an alarming discovery, as one unsuspecting homeowner found out.

Unfortunately, it wasn't until she took a closer look at her washing machine lint filters that she was reminded of the need to clean them each and every week - and the photos she shared on social media have certainly inspired people to take a look at their own!

The woman shared the grimy black mess that was stuck in her filters on the Facebook page Mums Who Clean, along with an image of the miraculously clean gadget after she had spent hours scrubbing it. She added that she used dishwashing liquid and then blasted them outside with a high-pressure hose to get them to a sparkling state.

'Just a casual reminder that no matter how busy you are, you're never too busy to clean your filters,' she wrote in the post, which left many grabbing their buckets and soapy water and walking over to their machines.

image2.png
Regularly checking on your lint filters and clearing out any junk and debris will keep unwanted grime from seeping into a fresh batch of laundry. Image Source: Facebook

However, other methods such as running them under the tap and scrubbing with a toothbrush, putting them in the dishwasher, soaking them in a bucket of water and laundry powder or using a toothpick to get into the crevices should work fine as well.

Though many social media users suggested cleaning the lint filters as frequently as weekly or fortnightly, some did state they do them after every wash - and if you have the time to do so, this may be wise.

Lint filters are usually located on the inside edges of the drum for those with a top loader and a trap filter at the front of the machine for those with a front loader. If yours looks like it’s been forgotten about for a while, it’s best to check it after every wash to make sure all lint and debris are removed.

Washing machines are an essential item in your home, going through loads of laundry day in and day out. But have you ever stopped to think about the wear and tear it endures? Just like any other appliance, your washing machine requires a little TLC to ensure it stays in top-notch condition and serves you well for years to come.

The good news is, maintaining your washing machine doesn't have to be a daunting task. Check out this article to unveil the secret to a longer-lasting washing machine and provide you with a quick guide to keep it running smoothly.

Just a little care and attention can go a long way in avoiding wear and tear and extending the life of this essential appliance. Your washing machine will thank you with cleaner clothes and smoother cycles – a win-win for both you and your laundry routine.

image1.jpg
Extend the life of your appliances by checking small parts regularly to ensure that everything is still in working condition. Image Source: Unsplash.

Remember, your washing machine is a vital investment worth securing and maintaining. By implementing this key part of machine maintenance, you can avoid unexpected costs in the future or damage to your household items.

How often do you think we should check out our lint filters? Sound off in the comments below!

Reactions: Ricki and JackiW
Sponsored
I clean the filter in washing machine, and if I ever use it, the dryer, immediately after use, EVERY TIME.
Amazing how much junk can be there, especially after towels. Takes less than a minute, so avoids the long term hassle.
I do mine as well, after each use mostly anyway. Once in a while I might let it go for two wahess and two uses of my dryer. But I never dry anything from wet anyway..

By the look of that filter in the picture it has never been cleaned since new. Most machines come with instructions which tell you to clean filters regularly and how to do it.

Reactions: Littleboy8