What's hiding in Bubble O' Bill Ice Creams?

Most of us here love classic foods and drinks that have been around for generations. There’s just something about the added nostalgia factor that makes the meals more special.

And Bubble O' Bill ice creams – an Australian classic dating back to the 1980s – are one example of that.

However, some eagle-eyed foodies took to social media recently and revealed one little-known detail hiding in Bubble O’ Bill ice creams. Can you guess what it is?

Bubble O’ Bill ice creams are an Aussie staple that’s been found in corner stores and grocery shops since the 1980s. But now, an obscure detail that seemed to have gone unnoticed all these years has come to light.

Posting to a Facebook group, one man shared a picture of a Bubble O’ Bill ice cream, marvelling at the little-known detail hidden in the cowboy’s hat.

bill.jpg
Can you see it? Credit: Streets Ice Cream

‘How old were you when you discovered Bubble O' Bill had a bullet hole in his hat?’ The Queensland local asked, leaving many bewildered.

Many were stunned by the revelation, claiming that although they grew up eating the ice cream, they never noticed the bullet hole until now.

‘Today old and I've probably eaten 1,000 in 38 years,’ one woman responded.

‘What! Have I been eating blindfolded for the past 50-odd years?’ wrote another.

Another laughed it off and said they had ‘no clue’.

bill2.jpg
Bubble O’ Bill 4-pack ice cream sticks are available at Woolworths for $9.50. Credit: Woolworths

However, not everyone was a fan of this reveal. Some shared that the hole meant that there was less ice cream to eat.

‘To be honest, when I noticed the hole, I felt annoyed that they could have filled it with ice cream,’ commented one.

Another agreed: ‘I hated it when they added the bullet hole in his hat.’ The person later added that this new feature left customers to have a ‘new section’ where there was no ice cream. I can’t say I disagree with this one, folks.

The Streets’ website confirmed that the cowboy character does have a bullet hole in his hat.

‘An Australian Icon! Bubble O' Bill is a classic blend of strawberry, chocolate and caramel ice confection, with a mega bubble gum nose, and a bullet hole through his hat.’

Now, we thought for a bit of added fun we’d tell you a few fun facts about ice cream while we are here. For example, did you know that ice cream dates back to 618-907 AD? The emperors of the Tang Dynasty were said to have been the first ones to eat a ‘frozen milk-like confection’.

Their version was reported to have been made from cow, goat, or buffalo milk and heated with flour. Camphor, which is now commonly used to treat insect bites, was added to enhance texture and flavour.

It’s believed that an American by the name of Frederick Peters was the one who introduced ice cream to Australia in 1907. Frederick was said to have brought back his mum’s recipe from Michigan and began churning ice cream in a converted shed somewhere in Sydney and started selling it via horse and cart.
Key Takeaways

• Many Australians were unaware of the little-known detail that Bubble O' Bill ice creams have a ‘bullet hole’ in the top of the hat.
  • The observation has been met with surprise and awe from those who have enjoyed the ice cream for years without realising the detail.
  • Others find the hole ‘annoying’ as it takes away from a portion where there could otherwise be ice cream.
  • The Streets website confirms the cowboy character's hat does indeed contain a bullet hole.
Do you have any food-related trivia you want to share? Comment them down below!

Sponsored
Most of us here love classic foods and drinks that have been around for generations. There’s just something about the added nostalgia factor that makes the meals more special.

And Bubble O' Bill ice creams – an Australian classic dating back to the 1980s – are one example of that.

However, some eagle-eyed foodies took to social media recently and revealed one little-known detail hiding in Bubble O’ Bill ice creams. Can you guess what it is?

Bubble O’ Bill ice creams are an Aussie staple that’s been found in corner stores and grocery shops since the 1980s. But now, an obscure detail that seemed to have gone unnoticed all these years has come to light.

Posting to a Facebook group, one man shared a picture of a Bubble O’ Bill ice cream, marvelling at the little-known detail hidden in the cowboy’s hat.

View attachment 11595
Can you see it? Credit: Streets Ice Cream

‘How old were you when you discovered Bubble O' Bill had a bullet hole in his hat?’ The Queensland local asked, leaving many bewildered.

Many were stunned by the revelation, claiming that although they grew up eating the ice cream, they never noticed the bullet hole until now.

‘Today old and I've probably eaten 1,000 in 38 years,’ one woman responded.

‘What! Have I been eating blindfolded for the past 50-odd years?’ wrote another.

Another laughed it off and said they had ‘no clue’.

View attachment 11596
Bubble O’ Bill 4-pack ice cream sticks are available at Woolworths for $9.50. Credit: Woolworths

However, not everyone was a fan of this reveal. Some shared that the hole meant that there was less ice cream to eat.

‘To be honest, when I noticed the hole, I felt annoyed that they could have filled it with ice cream,’ commented one.

Another agreed: ‘I hated it when they added the bullet hole in his hat.’ The person later added that this new feature left customers to have a ‘new section’ where there was no ice cream. I can’t say I disagree with this one, folks.

The Streets’ website confirmed that the cowboy character does have a bullet hole in his hat.

‘An Australian Icon! Bubble O' Bill is a classic blend of strawberry, chocolate and caramel ice confection, with a mega bubble gum nose, and a bullet hole through his hat.’

Now, we thought for a bit of added fun we’d tell you a few fun facts about ice cream while we are here. For example, did you know that ice cream dates back to 618-907 AD? The emperors of the Tang Dynasty were said to have been the first ones to eat a ‘frozen milk-like confection’.

Their version was reported to have been made from cow, goat, or buffalo milk and heated with flour. Camphor, which is now commonly used to treat insect bites, was added to enhance texture and flavour.

It’s believed that an American by the name of Frederick Peters was the one who introduced ice cream to Australia in 1907. Frederick was said to have brought back his mum’s recipe from Michigan and began churning ice cream in a converted shed somewhere in Sydney and started selling it via horse and cart.
Key Takeaways

• Many Australians were unaware of the little-known detail that Bubble O' Bill ice creams have a ‘bullet hole’ in the top of the hat.
  • The observation has been met with surprise and awe from those who have enjoyed the ice cream for years without realising the detail.
  • Others find the hole ‘annoying’ as it takes away from a portion where there could otherwise be ice cream.
  • The Streets website confirms the cowboy character's hat does indeed contain a bullet hole.
Do you have any food-related trivia you want to share? Comment them down below!
I’ve always known it was there 😂 obviously being my favourite ice cream I must’ve eaten too many! After removing his nose and setting aside because I know if I didn’t, it’d fall out and I’d lose it, I always eat the infamous bullet hole first… in my 46 years of eating them, I’ve never changed the way I eat them. Is that ice cream ocd??

Not sure if this is a food related fact but:-
On a box of Toblerone Swiss Chocolate, in the Logo, a bear is hidden on the left hand side of the mountain. ( Take a close look ).

Reactions: Jen77au
Not sure if this is a food related fact but:-
On a box of Toblerone Swiss Chocolate, in the Logo, a bear is hidden on the left hand side of the mountain. ( Take a close look ).
There was a thread and article about this a few months ago xx

Reactions: Ezzy