SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Suzanne rose

Suzanne rose

Jun 27, 2022
Sydney
What Was Your Favourite Childhood Toy

Do you remember your favourite toy as a child or is there a toy that stands out.

Two of my favourites were dolls .
One which giggled and that was called Giggles and the other who's hair could grow and her name was Velvet.
20230722_072607.jpg

Reactions: Peterdachshund
Well

Do you remember your favourite toy as a child or is there a toy that stands out.

One which giggled and that was called Giggles and the other who's hair could grow and her name was Velvet.
View attachment 25690
I think my sister had something like that. My dad was very old-fashioned, born 1911, and told us we boys had to make our own toys or our own fun. But he was more than willing to help- we had many grand toys- a steam boat powered by a candle, lots of sail boats we'd make, lots of toy cars Dad would make: a real steam model train for the garden, pop guns, bottle rockets, anything that was mechanical he'd make at work on the lathes and such, he was a wood turner who became a machinist in the Royal Navy. We had wonderful toys- and back then there were Boy's magazines with instructions on how to make toys. We had all kinds of fun.
If it was wood- it was up to us, and the metal parts he'd take care of.
Dad built us bows and one day I shot my brother straight through the arm playing Robin Hood! Dad kept it from Mum "boys will be boys" and "it's barely a scratch so don't cry!". I got a good box about the ears though- for being the fool to point it at anyone. I think we must have had an army's worth of wooden weapons, bows, swords, crossbows and air guns.
Dad had a homemade lathe at home so he'd make us wooden skittles, mallets, balls, croquet sets, chess sets, draughts men, nine men's morris men and all sorts. We'd have to make our own boards- but he was such a fine turner he could turn a broom stick into dice. Lily, the only girl, had her jacks and knuckles made by Dad.
So I don't think we lads were ever given a bought toy, maybe the youngest a Mechano set. But no we never felt deprived- in fact I think Dad spoilt us rotten, gave us the toys he wished he had.
Wish I had learned his trade but he wouldn't hear of it- I had to get my education. I did take up woodworking though, but what I would give to have learnt from him.

Well

I think my sister had something like that. My dad was very old-fashioned, born 1911, and told us we boys had to make our own toys or our own fun. But he was more than willing to help- we had many grand toys- a steam boat powered by a candle, lots of sail boats we'd make, lots of toy cars Dad would make: a real steam model train for the garden, pop guns, bottle rockets, anything that was mechanical he'd make at work on the lathes and such, he was a wood turner who became a machinist in the Royal Navy. We had wonderful toys- and back then there were Boy's magazines with instructions on how to make toys. We had all kinds of fun.
If it was wood- it was up to us, and the metal parts he'd take care of.
Dad built us bows and one day I shot my brother straight through the arm playing Robin Hood! Dad kept it from Mum "boys will be boys" and "it's barely a scratch so don't cry!". I got a good box about the ears though- for being the fool to point it at anyone. I think we must have had an army's worth of wooden weapons, bows, swords, crossbows and air guns.
Dad had a homemade lathe at home so he'd make us wooden skittles, mallets, balls, croquet sets, chess sets, draughts men, nine men's morris men and all sorts. We'd have to make our own boards- but he was such a fine turner he could turn a broom stick into dice. Lily, the only girl, had her jacks and knuckles made by Dad.
So I don't think we lads were ever given a bought toy, maybe the youngest a Mechano set. But no we never felt deprived- in fact I think Dad spoilt us rotten, gave us the toys he wished he had.
Wish I had learned his trade but he wouldn't hear of it- I had to get my education. I did take up woodworking though, but what I would give to have learnt from him.
I love this story. Sounds like you had the best toys and a very loving dad. Do you have any of those toys still

Reactions: Macarj
I had a giggles doll as a little girl I remember my sister and asked Santa for one and we made sure we were really good so we would get one and guess what we did, but most favourite doll was my baby doll that I loved so much, that it eventually fell apart and Mum couldn’t fix it anymore, I was devastated.

Lego and still is my wife and I have quite a few large lego sets and they are all built I think we need a new room for them

View attachment 25690
OMG - Yes, I had this doll and many more - But Giggles was the only one that I didn't destroy within a week. Sad to say I wasn't into little girl's things so most of the dolls my mother bought me (in hope) ended up destroyed in the many back yard War of Destruction games I preferred to play.
But with Giggles for some reason, she never left my room, she was happy just sitting at my homework/writing desk guarding my room. Just think what she might be worth today if I had left her in her box or never gave her to charity back in the early 80's.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I would never get rid of my favourite black doll, I even brought her with me from England in 1965 when we came here looking for a chance to get ahead in our lives. Back to "Blackie" this was the only thing I cried for when little or so I was told. While shopping at 18 months old as it cost 1/6 pence in the days when a little money bought a lot I had to wait till Christmas which was 2 months away so I had forgotten all about it by then. What a wonderful surprise I had.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I also had a black doll and still have her. My mother tells me I picked her. I've still got all of my dolls put away. Tearie Dearie, Barbie, Sindy and Patch plus little dolls and bigger dolls that I loved.