What these new road cameras revealed in this state will blow your mind!

In an age where technology is advancing at a breakneck pace, it's no surprise that it's also being used to enhance road safety.

In Perth, a startling trend has been uncovered thanks to the installation of over 800 new road cameras along the Kwinana Freeway.

These devices, initially set up to ease traffic flow and shorten travel times, have revealed a concerning disregard for basic road rules among drivers.

The cameras, part of a project aimed at reducing congestion and improving safety, were expected to shave off a significant 10 minutes from commuters' journeys.

However, as the technology evolved, these cameras began to serve a dual purpose—not only did they monitor traffic conditions, but they also started to detect when drivers were flouting the law.

The statistics are alarming: an average of 60 people per day were caught not wearing seatbelts, and around 5,000 individuals each month were spotted using their mobile phones while driving.

compressed-shutterstock_1416868049.jpeg
New road cameras along the Kwinana Freeway in Perth revealed a high number of traffic violators. Credits: Shutterstock

The Road Safety Commissioner, Adrian Warner, underscored the need to instil a 'fear' of being caught in drivers to encourage compliance with road rules.

‘What we really want is for more people to follow the rules more often,’ he said.

‘Too many people are breaking the rules too often.’

The commission's research suggested that the presence of cameras can create a systemic fear among drivers, leading to better behaviour on the roads.

Warner's comments emphasised the need for drivers to be more concerned about the consequences of their actions, particularly on using mobile phones and wearing seatbelts.

‘That is what we are looking for people: to behave a bit better on the roads,’ he stated.

‘We know phones are a big driver of distraction, and distractions are a big cause of crashes and serious injuries.’

‘You would have to be unlucky to have a police officer going past you, usually on a motorbike in slow-moving traffic, and you are on your phone.’

‘That is where they catch most people in slow or stopped traffic,’ he added.

During a trial conducted by the commission using comparable cameras in mobile trailers, Mr Warner stated that they identified around 12,000 individuals not wearing seat belts over several months.

‘The facts on seat belts are pretty compelling, we know about 95 per cent of people wear seat belts, which is a matter of rule,’ he said.

‘If we look at the stats and fatalities on roads, about 25 people a year are dying on average in crashes not wearing a seat belt. If we took all the people in motor vehicle accidents who are dying, that is 25 per cent of people.’

‘We know that 20 to 25 per cent of people is way overrepresented.’

‘That is 1 per cent of people not wearing a seat belt turning into 25 per cent of deaths on our roads.’

‘That is why we think using cameras on our roads is going to be a really big gamechanger for seat belt compliance,’ he added.

The revelation of startling trends captured by new road cameras in Western Australia underscores the increasing reliance on technology for traffic enforcement and safety measures.

As authorities deploy innovative methods to monitor and regulate road behaviour, motorists may have noticed a surge in the presence of mobile speed cameras during their summer road trips.

Understanding how these cameras operate is essential for drivers to navigate the roads safely, and avoid potential penalties.
Key Takeaways
  • New road cameras along the Kwinana Freeway in Perth revealed high incidences of drivers speeding, not wearing seatbelts, and using their mobile phones.
  • Authorities plan to begin issuing fines using these cameras to target moving traffic offences later in the year.
  • Road Safety Commissioner Adrian Warner emphasised the importance of 'fear' in deterring people from breaking the rules, and hopes improved enforcement will lead to better road behaviour.
  • Research indicated a significant discrepancy in seatbelt compliance and road fatalities, with non-compliance contributing disproportionately to deaths, leading to the belief that camera enforcement will significantly improve seatbelt use.
Do you believe that the fear of being caught is an effective deterrent for breaking road rules? Share your opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
I believe the only way to stop these offences is to remove the license and the vehicle they are driving, no matter if it's not theirs. If your license is cancelled, you won't need the car. Add the fine and I bet it makes a difference. No more 🚗🛻🚌🏍️ that should stop them.
Come on mostly those caught drive without a licence ,take their cars away they still find a way to drive. There's even those that drive and have never held a licence. They don't care how many times they get caught.So what is the solution when so many ignore the rules !!!!!

Reactions: PattiB
putting on your seatbelt has become as natural as closing the car door I can’t understand people not putting their seatbelt on Repeat offenders should loose their licence and car for a period off time and visit a trauma centre

Come on mostly those caught drive without a licence ,take their cars away they still find a way to drive. There's even those that drive and have never held a licence. They don't care how many times they get caught.So what is the solution when so many ignore the rules !!!!!
Thats all true, I don't disagree, but there are plenty that have a license, taking the car will hit the hip pocket. You have to start somewhere. As for the rest take the fine out of their wages or other payments.

This is what the government is saying to justify their revenue raising tactics, if the government says its good for you , you know it's not, plandemics, vaxxes, taxes,raising the pension age, where did the pension fund disappear to? If the government can send our money to countries that hate us we are paying to much tax.
What dos all that have to do with cameras on highways?

Hey you damn stupid people driving without a seat belt on. I thought only the yanks were that stupid. Australia was the first country to make it law that all persons in a car or truck has to wear a seat belt. This started in 1968 (56 years ago) with the new HR model Holden. Was originally Lap Belts but was changed to Lap/Sash Belts.
So I consider that any driver caught not wearing a belt should be automatically given a very hefty fine. At least $1000.00 for the first time and $2000.00 for the 2nd time. If caught for a third time then automatically lose Drivers Licence for 10 years. I am over 75 years old and have never driven without wearing a seat belt. So all you STUPID DUMB IDIOTS OUT THERE - GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER AND STOP ALL THIS BULLDUST ABOUT REVENUE RAISING.

Next comment: SPEEDING. Hey all you amazing race car drivers on Perth roads, take heed of one particular record. Here in a Perth suburb more than 400 DUMB STUPID DRIVERS were caught speeding this year at a PRIMARY SCHOOL CROSSING which is a safety device protecting the children. If your child was injured by someone going too fast, then you would scream your head off !!.
DO THE SCHOOLS HAVE TO HAVE STOP AND GO TRAFFIC LIGHTS INSTALLED AT THEIR CROSSINGS ??
It does seem so !!!

Geeze I am really letting go today.
MOBILE PHONES:
Even having a phone attached to the dash or under the windscreen, distracts the driver who loses seconds of concentration. Then there is the chance of an accident occurring by driver not acting properly and not seeing what is happening on the road. GAWD BLIMEY I HAVE EVEN SEEN A WOMAN DOING HER MAKE U P WHILE DRIVING AND ALSO CHANGING CLOTHES. I have actual fact that some women bare their torso's when stopping alongside a truck at traffic light and men also showing their genitals.
ANYWAY IT IS AGAINST THE LAW NOT TO USE MOBILE PHONES, SO IF ANYONE IS CAUGHT THAN THEY SHOULD GET A HEFTY BIG FINE AND THEIR PHONE TAKEN OFF THEM.

Wow have they not driven around Sydney!! Not only is there speed cameras everywhere we have these small round white cameras everywhere which pick up if you are holding a phone.

If it's going to save lives then I'm all for it.

I truly believe one of my daughters car accident 8 years ago was because she was on her mobile.
Because of all these cameras around none of my kids will now use a phone while driving
The small cameras are monitoring traffic, nothing to do with phone cameras. Phones cameras are large, rectangular things, with ones down lower to ensure the number plate is caught as well. Just more paranoia from the uninformed.

This is what the government is saying to justify their revenue raising tactics, if the government says its good for you , you know it's not, plandemics, vaxxes, taxes,raising the pension age, where did the pension fund disappear to? If the government can send our money to countries that hate us we are paying to much tax.
So you're fine with people not concentrating and using their phones for watching videos, texting on Facebook, video calls, etc, etc?

Geeze I am really letting go today.
MOBILE PHONES:
Even having a phone attached to the dash or under the windscreen, distracts the driver who loses seconds of concentration. Then there is the chance of an accident occurring by driver not acting properly and not seeing what is happening on the road. GAWD BLIMEY I HAVE EVEN SEEN A WOMAN DOING HER MAKE U P WHILE DRIVING AND ALSO CHANGING CLOTHES. I have actual fact that some women bare their torso's when stopping alongside a truck at traffic light and men also showing their genitals.
ANYWAY IT IS AGAINST THE LAW NOT TO USE MOBILE PHONES, SO IF ANYONE IS CAUGHT THAN THEY SHOULD GET A HEFTY BIG FINE AND THEIR PHONE TAKEN OFF THEM.
Go Wizzard!

I believe the problem is that a certain proportion of drivers do not take the responsibility to drive safely seriously. Safe driving requires full concentration. Otherwise, the consequences could be fatal or serious injury at best.
I am amazed at the number of drivers who do not indicate correctly & those who do not indicate at all. It is very upsetting when you do not know who is turning right or left. Some indicate as they turn, others just give one sign before changing lanes. If you happen to blink you miss the signal.

Reactions: DLHM