What these new road cameras revealed in this state will blow your mind!

In an age where technology is advancing at a breakneck pace, it's no surprise that it's also being used to enhance road safety.

In Perth, a startling trend has been uncovered thanks to the installation of over 800 new road cameras along the Kwinana Freeway.

These devices, initially set up to ease traffic flow and shorten travel times, have revealed a concerning disregard for basic road rules among drivers.

The cameras, part of a project aimed at reducing congestion and improving safety, were expected to shave off a significant 10 minutes from commuters' journeys.

However, as the technology evolved, these cameras began to serve a dual purpose—not only did they monitor traffic conditions, but they also started to detect when drivers were flouting the law.

The statistics are alarming: an average of 60 people per day were caught not wearing seatbelts, and around 5,000 individuals each month were spotted using their mobile phones while driving.

compressed-shutterstock_1416868049.jpeg
New road cameras along the Kwinana Freeway in Perth revealed a high number of traffic violators. Credits: Shutterstock

The Road Safety Commissioner, Adrian Warner, underscored the need to instil a 'fear' of being caught in drivers to encourage compliance with road rules.

‘What we really want is for more people to follow the rules more often,’ he said.

‘Too many people are breaking the rules too often.’

The commission's research suggested that the presence of cameras can create a systemic fear among drivers, leading to better behaviour on the roads.

Warner's comments emphasised the need for drivers to be more concerned about the consequences of their actions, particularly on using mobile phones and wearing seatbelts.

‘That is what we are looking for people: to behave a bit better on the roads,’ he stated.

‘We know phones are a big driver of distraction, and distractions are a big cause of crashes and serious injuries.’

‘You would have to be unlucky to have a police officer going past you, usually on a motorbike in slow-moving traffic, and you are on your phone.’

‘That is where they catch most people in slow or stopped traffic,’ he added.

During a trial conducted by the commission using comparable cameras in mobile trailers, Mr Warner stated that they identified around 12,000 individuals not wearing seat belts over several months.

‘The facts on seat belts are pretty compelling, we know about 95 per cent of people wear seat belts, which is a matter of rule,’ he said.

‘If we look at the stats and fatalities on roads, about 25 people a year are dying on average in crashes not wearing a seat belt. If we took all the people in motor vehicle accidents who are dying, that is 25 per cent of people.’

‘We know that 20 to 25 per cent of people is way overrepresented.’

‘That is 1 per cent of people not wearing a seat belt turning into 25 per cent of deaths on our roads.’

‘That is why we think using cameras on our roads is going to be a really big gamechanger for seat belt compliance,’ he added.

The revelation of startling trends captured by new road cameras in Western Australia underscores the increasing reliance on technology for traffic enforcement and safety measures.

As authorities deploy innovative methods to monitor and regulate road behaviour, motorists may have noticed a surge in the presence of mobile speed cameras during their summer road trips.

Understanding how these cameras operate is essential for drivers to navigate the roads safely, and avoid potential penalties.
Key Takeaways
  • New road cameras along the Kwinana Freeway in Perth revealed high incidences of drivers speeding, not wearing seatbelts, and using their mobile phones.
  • Authorities plan to begin issuing fines using these cameras to target moving traffic offences later in the year.
  • Road Safety Commissioner Adrian Warner emphasised the importance of 'fear' in deterring people from breaking the rules, and hopes improved enforcement will lead to better road behaviour.
  • Research indicated a significant discrepancy in seatbelt compliance and road fatalities, with non-compliance contributing disproportionately to deaths, leading to the belief that camera enforcement will significantly improve seatbelt use.
Do you believe that the fear of being caught is an effective deterrent for breaking road rules? Share your opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
Wow have they not driven around Sydney!! Not only is there speed cameras everywhere we have these small round white cameras everywhere which pick up if you are holding a phone.

If it's going to save lives then I'm all for it.

I truly believe one of my daughters car accident 8 years ago was because she was on her mobile.
Because of all these cameras around none of my kids will now use a phone while driving

So many accidents caused by inattentiveness ......why can't people mute their phones while driving !!
Surely no phone call is that important that it can't wait.
Makes you wonder how we survived without mobile phones years ago.

I remember when people were stupid and would drink n drive , then the drinking rules came in along with a certain stigma

Hubby loss both parents and grandmother in a car accident when he was 14 . The driver a friend had been drinking this was 1973.

My Grandfather got caught just over the limit when he was 64 in 1985 and lost his licence for 3 months, I told him he deserved to lose it. He could have killed himself or someone else. I told him to suck it up .

Hopefully speeding and distractions will have the same stigma

Having lived in Vic, SA and Perth, I have to admit Perth drivers deserve their reputation of being the worst.
I travel the Kwinana Freeway regularly and swear I feel like I'm the only person doing the speed limit.
When the speed reduces to 100, which is quite a long distance before reaching Perth, people just keep on driving at 110.
After you head off that freeway onto Mitchell Freeway you have endless roadworks, that have been going on for years. The speed limit is 80, but you wouldn't think so, nobody takes any notice.
Drivers here have no patience, and extremely rude, won't let you in when you need to change lanes, etc
Roadrage is also rife.
Don't understand why so many people in this state have complete disrespect for roadrules.
Country people are even worse, no wonder there are so many road deaths in the country.
Driving out of our town the speed goes from 50 to 80 then 110. Most drivers are already doing 110 before they reach the 80 sign. I have my cruise control set on 110 on the long open roads and cars constantly fly past.
No respect for other road users.

I believe the problem is that a certain proportion of drivers do not take the responsibility to drive safely seriously. Safe driving requires full concentration. Otherwise, the consequences could be fatal or serious injury at best.

Having lived in Vic, SA and Perth, I have to admit Perth drivers deserve their reputation of being the worst.
I travel the Kwinana Freeway regularly and swear I feel like I'm the only person doing the speed limit.
When the speed reduces to 100, which is quite a long distance before reaching Perth, people just keep on driving at 110.
After you head off that freeway onto Mitchell Freeway you have endless roadworks, that have been going on for years. The speed limit is 80, but you wouldn't think so, nobody takes any notice.
Drivers here have no patience, and extremely rude, won't let you in when you need to change lanes, etc
Roadrage is also rife.
Don't understand why so many people in this state have complete disrespect for roadrules.
Country people are even worse, no wonder there are so many road deaths in the country.
Driving out of our town the speed goes from 50 to 80 then 110. Most drivers are already doing 110 before they reach the 80 sign. I have my cruise control set on 110 on the long open roads and cars constantly fly past.
Yep, I agree with you! I drive on both freeways you mentioned and the drivers are getting worse by the day!
“No respect for other road users.” You got that right @mylittletibbies.

This is what the government is saying to justify their revenue raising tactics, if the government says its good for you , you know it's not, plandemics, vaxxes, taxes,raising the pension age, where did the pension fund disappear to? If the government can send our money to countries that hate us we are paying to much tax.

This is what the government is saying to justify their revenue raising tactics, if the government says its good for you , you know it's not, plandemics, vaxxes, taxes,raising the pension age, where did the pension fund disappear to? If the government can send our money to countries that hate us we are paying to much tax.
Definitely revenue raising…100%!

Firstly, the pension is NOT paid by the States. That's what this story is based on. Secondly, there NEVER EVER has been a 'fund' that the pension was paid from. Initially, it came from the taxes that were distributed to the States by the Federal govt. When the aged pension was established in the early 1900's 4% of the population was over 65. Average age was, men 55 & women 59. Now 16% of the population is over 65 & average life expectancy is over 80. Just because you read some BS on the internet from an article doesn't make it any more factual. Read from an official govt website. You made the choice in your working life not to prepare for retirement & thinking the TAXPAYERS of this country have an obligation to pay for you bad choice then that just too bad. If you expect govt's to fund your retirement where do you think the funding comes from. In the case of States it's from the revenue that these camera raise. Not sure how much you think you paid in (assuming) you worked for 40+ years, but assure you more is paid back in retirement than you EVER contributed in income tax.

Firstly, the pension is NOT paid by the States. That's what this story is based on. Secondly, there NEVER EVER has been a 'fund' that the pension was paid from. Initially, it came from the taxes that were distributed to the States by the Federal govt. When the aged pension was established in the early 1900's 4% of the population was over 65. Average age was, men 55 & women 59. Now 16% of the population is over 65 & average life expectancy is over 80. Just because you read some BS on the internet from an article doesn't make it any more factual. Read from an official govt website. You made the choice in your working life not to prepare for retirement & thinking the TAXPAYERS of this country have an obligation to pay for you bad choice then that just too bad.
Yes, you are right. So many people believe that old furphy about the"pension fund", I was one of them.
After some thorough research I did find that this was not so.

Your speech is quite off-topic. Leave it for your facebook account please. Cheers

Roadrage is also rife.
We have been visiting the west for about 20 years and have seen drivers do some incredible stuff. My best friend who is Perth born & raised & now lives in Tassie though we had terrbile drivers so they’re everywhere. I do agree that most drivers are rude & wont let you in. We no longer drive very far, just to a couple of shopping centres near our son, but it has been scary at times. I’m all for cameras, on freeways & red light cameras, anything to save lives. What is it with not wearing seat belts? So many people are dying because they get thrown out of the car in an accident. They have been around for so long it should be an automatic response.

Roadrage is also rife.
That sounds just like NSW even down to the country drivers. I live 40 ks from Wagga and travel regularly on the main road to Wagga with a 100 k speed limit, my car rocks from the wind off drivers overtaking and I sit on 103-4 so they must be well over.

It's your choice, don't break the laws and you won't contribute to what you like to call revenue raising.
Isn't it funny that it's usually the people who have been fined for these offences that call it revenue raising.
I’m not one of those who contribute to the revenue raising, but am aware of the tactics used.
The road infrastructure in and around Perth is inadequate. IMO, Perth was never meant to have a population that it has therefore unable to accommodate.
I’ve noticed a substantial increase in bad, inconsiderate and poor drivers over time.

Reactions: maherdj and PattiB
I'm not sure how cameras help to ease traffic flow. Revenue is supposed to be spent to repair roads but it seems they use this revenue to buy more cameras to make more revenue to buy more cameras and then more money to upgrade these cameras that have no impact whatsoever on road toll. It's actually worse now than it has ever been.