'What the actual f*** are these?' Shoppers respond to Coles' '2D pumpkins' for sale

In the ever-evolving world of supermarket produce, shoppers look for both convenience and quality.

However, a new debate just sprouted among Australian shoppers and sparked a broader conversation about food waste and consumer needs.

A Coles shopper posted a video on social media, showcasing what she referred to as 'thin, two-dimensional (2D) pumpkins' in the supermarket's vegetable aisle.

The video featured pre-cut halves of butternut pumpkin that were unusually flat.

Some pumpkin slices were so slender that the seeds were barely visible.

compressed-pumpkin.jpeg
A shopper found thinly-cut pumpkins at her local Coles. Image Credit: TikTok/hi.visz

'What the actual f*** are these? Pumpkins or are these 2D pumpkins?' the shopper exclaimed.

'Why are you so thin? I don't understand.'

She further asked, 'Is Coles selling the skin of the pumpkin, or is this really what we're going to make our dinner with?'

The video struck a chord with many viewers and shared the shopper's bewilderment.

One commenter expressed that they would 'flip out' if they encountered slim slices in their local Coles.

'It looks like it's been cut into three, not half; most are missing the seeds,' another thought.

'I'll bet the middle bit is cut up for packs of pieces.'

However, not everyone was critical of the slender slices.

Other shoppers praised Coles for the 'great idea', highlighting its benefits for single-person households or those who don't need a whole pumpkin.

'I would prefer buying these than half a pumpkin when I only need less than a quarter,' one supporter commented.

'I wish my supermarket catered to small portions,' another wrote.
In response to the video, a Coles spokesperson confirmed that the supermarket chain started selling various pumpkin types and sizes.

'They come in all different shapes and sizes, providing our customers with options when they shop depending on how much they need,' the spokesperson explained.

'Cut pumpkins are sold by the kilo, so customers don't need to worry. They will only be charged for the weight of what they select.'

The conversation also shed light on a more serious issue: the alarming amount of fruit and vegetable waste in Australia.
'They're just skinny pumpkins. Please don't get supermarkets to refuse and return more stuff to farmers,' another shopper wrote in the comments.

Supermarkets often reject produce that does not meet strict aesthetic standards, which leads to significant food waste.

According to Farmers Pick representative Josh Ball, up to 50 per cent of produce never leaves farms due to the supermarkets' cosmetic standards on vegetables.

'Crops could get rejected because of their looks, either because of their size or if it has a blemish on them. The standards are primarily set on aesthetics,' Mr Ball shared.

Coles' '2D pumpkins' opened up a discussion about food systems and the balance between consumer expectations, waste reduction, and support for farmers.
Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper expressed their frustration over small-sized, pre-cut pumpkins in the vegetable section.
  • Some customers appreciated the smaller portions, citing reduced waste and cost benefits for those needing less.
  • Coles confirmed they started selling various pumpkin sizes and shapes to cater to different customer needs.
  • The situation highlighted broader concerns regarding fruit and vegetable waste in Australia due to supermarkets rejecting produce based on cosmetics.
What are your thoughts on these miniature pumpkins? Have you encountered similar situations with other types of produce? Share your stories and opinions in the comments below!

Sponsored
They need to do that with half a cauliflower as some are so pathetically small they should be sold by weight not half.

Reactions: Ricci
Products in 'Small portion' packs are very good for singles/couples but the stores offering them usually price them higher per kg.
I am now on my own, and when I buy items like pumpkin, sweet potato, Cauliflower etc, which are more than 1 serving, I bulk cook, then heat in micro when its dinner time. Or sometimes, add to a salad for lunch. A lot cheaper to buy a full vege as above than half or quarter.

They cut pumpkins into thinner pieces so there is less food waste, so, why don’t the supermarkets cut more of the stem of Broccoli so that customers don’t pay for something they cut off & throw away anyway? The stems on Broccoli weigh more than the heads.🥦🥦🥦

They cut pumpkins into thinner pieces so there is less food waste, so, why don’t the supermarkets cut more of the stem of Broccoli so that customers don’t pay for something they cut off & throw away anyway? The stems on Broccoli weigh more than the heads.🥦🥦🥦
Are you nuts You should never throw away the stem of the broccoli that’s where all the vitamins and minerals are. Just peel the stem eat It raw also you need to learn more about your veggies and how not to waste them as you pay good money for them.😊