What prompted Qantas chairman Richard Goyder's sudden early retirement?

Many have been left scratching their head in confusion when Qantas Chairman, Richard Goyder announced his early retirement from the company despite telling a recent Senate inquiry that there were no plans to step aside.

It also comes after the 63-year-old businessman had accepted a $100,000 pay rise during a turbulent time for the airline, which left a sour taste for some of Qantas’ loyal customers and long-time staff.

In September, a letter from the Australian and International Pilots Association addressed to the new CEO of Qantas, Vanessa Hudson, called on Mr Goyder’s retirement.

The union pushed for a 'cultural reset' and called Mr Goyder’s acceptance of a $100,000 pay rise amid a pay freeze as 'galling'.

SDC Images (16).png
Qantas Chairman Richard Goyder has announced his early retirement ahead of his planned departure in 2024. Image source: Qantas.

However, Mr Goyder backed himself during a Senate inquiry, saying: 'Major shareholders are very strongly supportive of me staying.'

'I would also argue that my history in business has been one of high ethics, looking to create value for all our stakeholders,' he added.

'I’ve navigated a company through the Global Financial Crisis, chaired Qantas through the most existential crisis we’ve ever had as an airline.'

'Right now, the major shareholders and the board feel that I’m the best person to chair the board to navigate us through the current situation.'

Mr Goyder’s total remuneration has risen to $750,000, and it is understood that he has been paid about $2,500,000 since he took on the Chairman role in 2018 after a year on the board.

His retirement comes after the departure of former CEO Alan Joyce and before the airline’s annual general meeting (AGM) in late 2024 for a wider company refresh.

In addition to Mr Goyder, non-executive director Michael L’Estrange and two other board members will step aside in February 2024.

As part of the refresh, three new directors will stand for election—Vanessa Hudson, Doug Parker, and Dr Heather Smith.

Mr Goyder and the board had acknowledged the 'significant reputational and customer service issues' Qantas is currently faced with, saying: 'Qantas has gone through an incredibly difficult period since our operation was grounded during the pandemic.'

'The recovery has not been easy, and mistakes were made. We again apologise for those times where we got it wrong.'

'I have always sought to act in the best interests of Qantas,' he added.

'Measured and orderly succession at [the] board level will support the important work underway led by Vanessa and her new management team.'

'The (Qantas) Group is in a very strong position to overcome its current challenges and deliver for all its stakeholders in the years ahead.'

According to a statement from Qantas, the new directors are expected to have an average tenure of about three years. The airline hopes that this change will provide a 'balance of fresh leadership with necessary continuity'.

However, this was met with pushback from unions.

The Transport Workers’ Union (TWU) referred to Mr Goyder’s retirement as 'an attempt to retire in dignity after presiding over illegal conduct'.

Michael Kaine, TWU National Secretary, has urged Mr Goyder to follow Mr Joyce’s suit within the year, ahead of his planned retirement in the coming year.

'This announcement is an attempt by Goyder to leave in a dignified manner with another year’s pay in his pocket after presiding over the largest case of illegal sackings in Australian history,' Mr Kaine said.

'We need to put an end to illegal conduct being blindly rubber-stamped by a board that fails to scrutinise the CEO, who is treated as their equal by having a place on the board.'

'A fresh start for Qantas governance requires a new board composition that excludes the CEO and embeds a worker representative to avoid the repeat of colossal errors of judgement being repeated.'

Meanwhile, Labor Senator Tony Sheldon, who has previously clashed with Mr Joyce, also called for Mr Goyder’s early departure, saying: 'Meaningful change would be to immediately compensate 1700 illegally sacked ground staff and offer to employ any worker that wants their job back.'

'They should also support closing the Qantas labour hire loophole. Over their tenure, Joyce and Goyder have outsourced much of the workforce to 38 labour-hire companies and subsidiaries in order to drive down wages.'

'This would go some way in repairing the long-term damage to Qantas caused by Joyce and Goyder.'
Key Takeaways
  • Qantas Chairman Richard Goyder has announced his early retirement, ahead of the airline’s annual general meeting in late 2024.
  • Goyder came under criticism after reportedly accepting a salary increase during a challenging period for the airline, increasing his remuneration to $750,000.
  • The Transport Workers Union criticised Goyder’s early exit, describing it as an attempt to retire with dignity after presiding over what they claim is the largest case of illegal sackings in Australian history.
Members, what are your thoughts on Mr Goyder’s early retirement? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Shane/# and TessM
Sponsored
Many have been left scratching their head in confusion when Qantas Chairman, Richard Goyder announced his early retirement from the company despite telling a recent Senate inquiry that there were no plans to step aside.

It also comes after the 63-year-old businessman had accepted a $100,000 pay rise during a turbulent time for the airline, which left a sour taste for some of Qantas’ loyal customers and long-time staff.

In September, a letter from the Australian and International Pilots Association addressed to the new CEO of Qantas, Vanessa Hudson, called on Mr Goyder’s retirement.

The union pushed for a 'cultural reset' and called Mr Goyder’s acceptance of a $100,000 pay rise amid a pay freeze as 'galling'.

View attachment 31892
Qantas Chairman Richard Goyder has announced his early retirement ahead of his planned departure in 2024. Image source: Qantas.

However, Mr Goyder backed himself during a Senate inquiry, saying: 'Major shareholders are very strongly supportive of me staying.'

'I would also argue that my history in business has been one of high ethics, looking to create value for all our stakeholders,' he added.

'I’ve navigated a company through the Global Financial Crisis, chaired Qantas through the most existential crisis we’ve ever had as an airline.'

'Right now, the major shareholders and the board feel that I’m the best person to chair the board to navigate us through the current situation.'

Mr Goyder’s total remuneration has risen to $750,000, and it is understood that he has been paid about $2,500,000 since he took on the Chairman role in 2018 after a year on the board.

His retirement comes after the departure of former CEO Alan Joyce and before the airline’s annual general meeting (AGM) in late 2024 for a wider company refresh.

In addition to Mr Goyder, non-executive director Michael L’Estrange and two other board members will step aside in February 2024.

As part of the refresh, three new directors will stand for election—Vanessa Hudson, Doug Parker, and Dr Heather Smith.

Mr Goyder and the board had acknowledged the 'significant reputational and customer service issues' Qantas is currently faced with, saying: 'Qantas has gone through an incredibly difficult period since our operation was grounded during the pandemic.'

'The recovery has not been easy, and mistakes were made. We again apologise for those times where we got it wrong.'

'Measured and orderly succession at [the] board level will support the important work underway led by Vanessa and her new management team.'

'The (Qantas) Group is in a very strong position to overcome its current challenges and deliver for all its stakeholders in the years ahead.'

According to a statement from Qantas, the new directors are expected to have an average tenure of about three years. The airline hopes that this change will provide a 'balance of fresh leadership with necessary continuity'.

The Transport Workers’ Union (TWU) referred to Mr Goyder’s retirement as 'an attempt to retire in dignity after presiding over illegal conduct'.

Michael Kaine, TWU National Secretary, has urged Mr Goyder to follow Mr Joyce’s suit within the year, ahead of his planned retirement in the coming year.

'This announcement is an attempt by Goyder to leave in a dignified manner with another year’s pay in his pocket after presiding over the largest case of illegal sackings in Australian history,' Mr Kaine said.

'We need to put an end to illegal conduct being blindly rubber-stamped by a board that fails to scrutinise the CEO, who is treated as their equal by having a place on the board.'

'A fresh start for Qantas governance requires a new board composition that excludes the CEO and embeds a worker representative to avoid the repeat of colossal errors of judgement being repeated.'

Meanwhile, Labor Senator Tony Sheldon, who has previously clashed with Mr Joyce, also called for Mr Goyder’s early departure, saying: 'Meaningful change would be to immediately compensate 1700 illegally sacked ground staff and offer to employ any worker that wants their job back.'

'They should also support closing the Qantas labour hire loophole. Over their tenure, Joyce and Goyder have outsourced much of the workforce to 38 labour-hire companies and subsidiaries in order to drive down wages.'

'This would go some way in repairing the long-term damage to Qantas caused by Joyce and Goyder.'
Key Takeaways

• Qantas Chairman Richard Goyder has announced his early retirement, ahead of the airline’s annual general meeting in late 2024.
  • Goyder came under criticism after reportedly accepting a salary increase during a challenging period for the airline, increasing his remuneration to $750,000.
  • The Transport Workers Union criticised Goyder’s early exit, describing it as an attempt to retire with dignity after presiding over what they claim is the largest case of illegal sackings in Australian history.
Members, what are your thoughts on Mr Goyder’s early retirement? Let us know in the comments below!
Rats desert a sinking ship!

These executives are Paid Far too much money. They are drawn by greed and not for the good of the Companies they run.

There

View attachment 31892

Key Takeaways

These parasites are worried so they a like RATS on a sinking ship 🚢 bailing out before they get summoned in front of an inquiry maggots

It seems to be a phenomenon in Australia where a CEO can take advantage of fellow executives with impunity and leave Australia with a huge sum of payout and previous salaries. It's almost as though they blind their fellow executives. This is not the first time as some may recall the two Americans who came to Australia to "sort out" Telstra and then left taking with them with payouts without achieving anything excepting showing the gullibility and naiveness of Australia.I'm sure they are still laughing about how Australians are so easily duped.
I personally think that AJ should not receive his "bonus" as it has been shown he failed to perform his expected role, although he was ably supported by the Federal Government with their subsidies arising from Covid.
With regard to Mr Goyder, I do not hold any resentment as he was entirely under the "spell" of AJ, such an unlikeable person.
I agree with most of your comments but what I do not agree with, is that you said that M. Goyder was under the spell of AJ. That is 200% wrong not just 100% (I know how these things operates), because the Chairman is mainly the one who appoints a CEO and then the Chairman is the one which agree and sign on with what his CEO is putting forward, not the other way around. If Goyder didn't know what AJ was doing and simply rubber stamping AJ's doing that is a fall on his duties. As such he should be immediately removed from his position and with no golden handshakes either.
With that I even got to the extent of requesting the sacking IMMEDIATELY of the whole Board as well because the Board is the one who put the final signature on everything put in front of them, not just rubberstamping what the CHAIRMAN AND THE CEO are telling them to sign.
The reaosn i know this is by telling you something, I resigned from a Board position in the past because I did not agree to put my signature on something that wasn't correct and was totally against the company itself. That was my responsibility. Period.
With that I rest my case.

These executives are Paid Far too much money. They are drawn by greed and not for the good of the Companies they run.
The whole Board is and are, not just the Executives. Some of these Directos are collecting huge amounts of money for their services and nearly 100% of them are holding Boards seats positions in many other multiples other Boards seats as well. All of that for possibly attending to one single meeting a month, sometime even less. If that is not greed I don't know what it is. They all love to have their snort in the trough at shareholders expense.
Does this remind you of something.?

1697064750810.jpeg

There

These parasites are worried so they a like RATS on a sinking ship 🚢 bailing out before they get summoned in front of an inquiry maggots
If they resign is 110% better than being forced out of forced to resign because it will all go against their future resume. If they walk out their future resume is clean. Period.!

Qantas has a long hard job ahead to win back passengers and their trust as well as its reputation. I stopped flying with Qantas quite some years ago when I paid the high fares and was put on a Jetstar aircraft with Jetstar crew and staff. I was not impressed. I'd paid to fly with Qantas and got the budget airline. The now past CEO of Qantas was always telling us that Qantas and Jetstar were two separate airlines, yet Qantas fare paying passengers would be put on Jetstar flights. Qantas also disappoints the rural/outback areas with their constant expensive airfares, very little discount offers, the old worn-down aircraft being used for those areas and so many cancellations. The service to the outback/rural communities by Qantas is second grade.

Reactions: Kelpie
Qantas has a long hard job ahead to win back passengers and their trust as well as its reputation. I stopped flying with Qantas quite some years ago when I paid the high fares and was put on a Jetstar aircraft with Jetstar crew and staff. I was not impressed. I'd paid to fly with Qantas and got the budget airline. The now past CEO of Qantas was always telling us that Qantas and Jetstar were two separate airlines, yet Qantas fare paying passengers would be put on Jetstar flights. Qantas also disappoints the rural/outback areas with their constant expensive airfares, very little discount offers, the old worn-down aircraft being used for those areas and so many cancellations. The service to the outback/rural communities by Qantas is second grade.
So true. I could have not put it any better ways myself.
I have relations in Italy that once upon a time if and when visiting me alwasy chose to fly Qantas with their exceptional service and punctuality, but not anymore. Qantas was reknown all over the World. But that was back when, and before the ex CEO took over. Ever since it has only headed one way. DOWN.

Reactions: BellaJugar
This situation is Basic Management theory 101. CEO's make short-term decisions that create immediate cashflow but are negative in the long term. They anly last as long as the good times roll. Chairpersons the same.
I don't see Qantas changing significantly now that they are hand in hand with the private labour hire companies. The rest of the board are hiding in hopes of not being noticed in the blood letting.

This situation is Basic Management theory 101. CEO's make short-term decisions that create immediate cashflow but are negative in the long term. They anly last as long as the good times roll. Chairpersons the same.
I don't see Qantas changing significantly now that they are hand in hand with the private labour hire companies. The rest of the board are hiding in hopes of not being noticed in the blood letting.
The whole Board should rasign in shame for what they did by simply rubber stamping decisisons put in front of them without any thoughts if they were good or bad.
The job of a Company Director is to look after the interest of the Shareholders as well and, if they failed like they did in this instance, they should be sacked. Period.!!!