What prompted Qantas chairman Richard Goyder's sudden early retirement?

Many have been left scratching their head in confusion when Qantas Chairman, Richard Goyder announced his early retirement from the company despite telling a recent Senate inquiry that there were no plans to step aside.

It also comes after the 63-year-old businessman had accepted a $100,000 pay rise during a turbulent time for the airline, which left a sour taste for some of Qantas’ loyal customers and long-time staff.

In September, a letter from the Australian and International Pilots Association addressed to the new CEO of Qantas, Vanessa Hudson, called on Mr Goyder’s retirement.

The union pushed for a 'cultural reset' and called Mr Goyder’s acceptance of a $100,000 pay rise amid a pay freeze as 'galling'.

SDC Images (16).png
Qantas Chairman Richard Goyder has announced his early retirement ahead of his planned departure in 2024. Image source: Qantas.

However, Mr Goyder backed himself during a Senate inquiry, saying: 'Major shareholders are very strongly supportive of me staying.'

'I would also argue that my history in business has been one of high ethics, looking to create value for all our stakeholders,' he added.

'I’ve navigated a company through the Global Financial Crisis, chaired Qantas through the most existential crisis we’ve ever had as an airline.'

'Right now, the major shareholders and the board feel that I’m the best person to chair the board to navigate us through the current situation.'

Mr Goyder’s total remuneration has risen to $750,000, and it is understood that he has been paid about $2,500,000 since he took on the Chairman role in 2018 after a year on the board.

His retirement comes after the departure of former CEO Alan Joyce and before the airline’s annual general meeting (AGM) in late 2024 for a wider company refresh.

In addition to Mr Goyder, non-executive director Michael L’Estrange and two other board members will step aside in February 2024.

As part of the refresh, three new directors will stand for election—Vanessa Hudson, Doug Parker, and Dr Heather Smith.

Mr Goyder and the board had acknowledged the 'significant reputational and customer service issues' Qantas is currently faced with, saying: 'Qantas has gone through an incredibly difficult period since our operation was grounded during the pandemic.'

'The recovery has not been easy, and mistakes were made. We again apologise for those times where we got it wrong.'

'I have always sought to act in the best interests of Qantas,' he added.

'Measured and orderly succession at [the] board level will support the important work underway led by Vanessa and her new management team.'

'The (Qantas) Group is in a very strong position to overcome its current challenges and deliver for all its stakeholders in the years ahead.'

According to a statement from Qantas, the new directors are expected to have an average tenure of about three years. The airline hopes that this change will provide a 'balance of fresh leadership with necessary continuity'.

However, this was met with pushback from unions.

The Transport Workers’ Union (TWU) referred to Mr Goyder’s retirement as 'an attempt to retire in dignity after presiding over illegal conduct'.

Michael Kaine, TWU National Secretary, has urged Mr Goyder to follow Mr Joyce’s suit within the year, ahead of his planned retirement in the coming year.

'This announcement is an attempt by Goyder to leave in a dignified manner with another year’s pay in his pocket after presiding over the largest case of illegal sackings in Australian history,' Mr Kaine said.

'We need to put an end to illegal conduct being blindly rubber-stamped by a board that fails to scrutinise the CEO, who is treated as their equal by having a place on the board.'

'A fresh start for Qantas governance requires a new board composition that excludes the CEO and embeds a worker representative to avoid the repeat of colossal errors of judgement being repeated.'

Meanwhile, Labor Senator Tony Sheldon, who has previously clashed with Mr Joyce, also called for Mr Goyder’s early departure, saying: 'Meaningful change would be to immediately compensate 1700 illegally sacked ground staff and offer to employ any worker that wants their job back.'

'They should also support closing the Qantas labour hire loophole. Over their tenure, Joyce and Goyder have outsourced much of the workforce to 38 labour-hire companies and subsidiaries in order to drive down wages.'

'This would go some way in repairing the long-term damage to Qantas caused by Joyce and Goyder.'
Key Takeaways
  • Qantas Chairman Richard Goyder has announced his early retirement, ahead of the airline’s annual general meeting in late 2024.
  • Goyder came under criticism after reportedly accepting a salary increase during a challenging period for the airline, increasing his remuneration to $750,000.
  • The Transport Workers Union criticised Goyder’s early exit, describing it as an attempt to retire with dignity after presiding over what they claim is the largest case of illegal sackings in Australian history.
Members, what are your thoughts on Mr Goyder’s early retirement? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Shane/# and TessM
Sponsored
Many have been left scratching their head in confusion when Qantas Chairman, Richard Goyder announced his early retirement from the company despite telling a recent Senate inquiry that there were no plans to step aside.

It also comes after the 63-year-old businessman had accepted a $100,000 pay rise during a turbulent time for the airline, which left a sour taste for some of Qantas’ loyal customers and long-time staff.

In September, a letter from the Australian and International Pilots Association addressed to the new CEO of Qantas, Vanessa Hudson, called on Mr Goyder’s retirement.

The union pushed for a 'cultural reset' and called Mr Goyder’s acceptance of a $100,000 pay rise amid a pay freeze as 'galling'.

View attachment 31892
Qantas Chairman Richard Goyder has announced his early retirement ahead of his planned departure in 2024. Image source: Qantas.

However, Mr Goyder backed himself during a Senate inquiry, saying: 'Major shareholders are very strongly supportive of me staying.'

'I would also argue that my history in business has been one of high ethics, looking to create value for all our stakeholders,' he added.

'I’ve navigated a company through the Global Financial Crisis, chaired Qantas through the most existential crisis we’ve ever had as an airline.'

'Right now, the major shareholders and the board feel that I’m the best person to chair the board to navigate us through the current situation.'

Mr Goyder’s total remuneration has risen to $750,000, and it is understood that he has been paid about $2,500,000 since he took on the Chairman role in 2018 after a year on the board.

His retirement comes after the departure of former CEO Alan Joyce and before the airline’s annual general meeting (AGM) in late 2024 for a wider company refresh.

In addition to Mr Goyder, non-executive director Michael L’Estrange and two other board members will step aside in February 2024.

As part of the refresh, three new directors will stand for election—Vanessa Hudson, Doug Parker, and Dr Heather Smith.

Mr Goyder and the board had acknowledged the 'significant reputational and customer service issues' Qantas is currently faced with, saying: 'Qantas has gone through an incredibly difficult period since our operation was grounded during the pandemic.'

'The recovery has not been easy, and mistakes were made. We again apologise for those times where we got it wrong.'

'Measured and orderly succession at [the] board level will support the important work underway led by Vanessa and her new management team.'

'The (Qantas) Group is in a very strong position to overcome its current challenges and deliver for all its stakeholders in the years ahead.'

According to a statement from Qantas, the new directors are expected to have an average tenure of about three years. The airline hopes that this change will provide a 'balance of fresh leadership with necessary continuity'.

The Transport Workers’ Union (TWU) referred to Mr Goyder’s retirement as 'an attempt to retire in dignity after presiding over illegal conduct'.

Michael Kaine, TWU National Secretary, has urged Mr Goyder to follow Mr Joyce’s suit within the year, ahead of his planned retirement in the coming year.

'This announcement is an attempt by Goyder to leave in a dignified manner with another year’s pay in his pocket after presiding over the largest case of illegal sackings in Australian history,' Mr Kaine said.

'We need to put an end to illegal conduct being blindly rubber-stamped by a board that fails to scrutinise the CEO, who is treated as their equal by having a place on the board.'

'A fresh start for Qantas governance requires a new board composition that excludes the CEO and embeds a worker representative to avoid the repeat of colossal errors of judgement being repeated.'

Meanwhile, Labor Senator Tony Sheldon, who has previously clashed with Mr Joyce, also called for Mr Goyder’s early departure, saying: 'Meaningful change would be to immediately compensate 1700 illegally sacked ground staff and offer to employ any worker that wants their job back.'

'They should also support closing the Qantas labour hire loophole. Over their tenure, Joyce and Goyder have outsourced much of the workforce to 38 labour-hire companies and subsidiaries in order to drive down wages.'

'This would go some way in repairing the long-term damage to Qantas caused by Joyce and Goyder.'
Key Takeaways

• Qantas Chairman Richard Goyder has announced his early retirement, ahead of the airline’s annual general meeting in late 2024.
  • Goyder came under criticism after reportedly accepting a salary increase during a challenging period for the airline, increasing his remuneration to $750,000.
  • The Transport Workers Union criticised Goyder’s early exit, describing it as an attempt to retire with dignity after presiding over what they claim is the largest case of illegal sackings in Australian history.
Members, what are your thoughts on Mr Goyder’s early retirement? Let us know in the comments below!
Another rat jumping ship

Reactions: Nina_59 and janj

View attachment 31892

Key Takeaways

That’s good news. I’m an ex customer who has been shafted by them twice.
Should NOT get his pay rise which is a disgraceful amount. He and AJ ran the airline almost into oblivion so he should get nothing. Hope the pair of them both face criminal charges for what they did.
The new CEO is going to have to be one tough lady to get Qantas back to being the best. Good luck to you!

His any person that good to receive Wages to that amount, He will most likely retire and then join another company getting another big wage.

Reactions: Nina_59

View attachment 31892

Key Takeaways

I believe for Qantas to move forward is for the board to step down

Another rat jumping ship
I dont think he's jumping ship, he's hanging on for grim life. He's retiring before late 2024. They'll need dynamite to get him out, he'll drag it out for as long as possible, every week he gets my annual salary.

Reactions: Rob44
I believe for Qantas to move forward is for the board to step down
Can ordinary laymen who are union members go for this Committee Board. I mean, real people, who earn real money for a real job caring for an airline who needs NO MORE BIGWIGS turning into FAT CATS

View attachment 31892

Key Takeaways

Did he jump or was he pushed?

Reactions: mick.idgaf

View attachment 31892

Key Takeaways

He should hve resigned as soon as his right hand man Allan Joice was pushed out. Instead he awarded himself another $100k dollars pay raise. The hide of these greedy men is beyond beliefs. Any company failures is because of the Chairman of the Board and the Board itself not doing what they are being paid for. And to even have the galdbladder to pay dividends and to claim and receive bonuses from taxpayers money, IMHO that should fully investigated and the persons responsible to be fully prosecuted to the full extent of the Law.
THE WHOLE BOARD not just him should be sacked. I have also read today that the new CEO she has been allowed to join the Board as well, on top of her million dollars job. Until someone at the top of Government will wake to these rorts, nothing will happen. Go figure

Another rat jumping ship
If the Government and/or ASIC (The toothless tiger as it is known to be), had any balls, they should sack the whole Board, install someoen who will take full control until all investiogations are completed, and prosecute all the ones involved in the scandals, and then, and only then, allow a new Board to be elected.
No one can tell me that if the people on the Board knew the rules of corporation, didn't know what the CEO was doing and even pay dividends while ripping everyone else off the likes of even getting people to pay for flights which were already cancelled. THAT IS 100% FRAUD.
If the Government will turn a blind eye to this what hope have we got that a corporation will follow the rules as set out in the future.

That’s good news. I’m an ex customer who has been shafted by them twice.
Should NOT get his pay rise which is a disgraceful amount. He and AJ ran the airline almost into oblivion so he should get nothing. Hope the pair of them both face criminal charges for what they did.
The new CEO is going to have to be one tough lady to get Qantas back to being the best. Good luck to you!
Yes, but this lady has been sititing next to Allan Joice for many years knowing full well what he was up to and she did nothing to stop it. And to top it all off, who was the one which tapped her on the shoulder to take the seat he vacated.? SAY NO MORE.

View attachment 31892

Key Takeaways

I was taught that "Stakeholders" meant more than just shareholders. The term "Stakeholders" should encompass Customers, Employees and Suppliers; any group or individual with a stake in the company.

Why does the media so often use the terms Stakeholder and Shareholder as if they were one and the same?

View attachment 31892

Key Takeaways

Bye bye; and good riddance to the CEO whom you would have supported who turned Qantas into a 2rd-rate, knee-crunching airline, which is why I stopped using it years ago. Look after your shareholders at peril of losing customers. And learn to look after your staff! They are not peasants in a feudal society to be turned away; they too are shareholders in their own way

Bye bye; and good riddance to the CEO whom you would have supported who turned Qantas into a 2rd-rate, knee-crunching airline, which is why I stopped using it years ago. Look after your shareholders at peril of losing customers. And learn to look after your staff! They are not peasants in a feudal society to be turned away; they too are shareholders in their own way
The point is that the old CEO only looked after his own size when redesigning the space and the leg room in the flights. Little thought he gave that there were a multitude of people much bigger in size than his own. Like you I gave up Qantas umpteen years ago and only use them for short flights if I have no other alternative.

It seems to be a phenomenon in Australia where a CEO can take advantage of fellow executives with impunity and leave Australia with a huge sum of payout and previous salaries. It's almost as though they blind their fellow executives. This is not the first time as some may recall the two Americans who came to Australia to "sort out" Telstra and then left taking with them with payouts without achieving anything excepting showing the gullibility and naiveness of Australia.I'm sure they are still laughing about how Australians are so easily duped.
I personally think that AJ should not receive his "bonus" as it has been shown he failed to perform his expected role, although he was ably supported by the Federal Government with their subsidies arising from Covid.
With regard to Mr Goyder, I do not hold any resentment as he was entirely under the "spell" of AJ, such an unlikeable person.

Reactions: Robbo3006