'What is wrong with Coles?': Shopper complains about supermarket prices after buying essentials

As the cost of living continues to rise, Australians feel its pinch, especially during weekly grocery shopping.

It's a topic that hits close to home as we look for ways to stretch our dollars further.

Yet, despite best efforts, the price at the checkout could leave anyone reeling.

Melbourne local Avalon ventured into her local Coles supermarket late to stock up on some of her pantry needs.

Her shopping list was modest: noodles, soy sauce, tofu, two cucumbers, a can of sweet corn, mint, and snap peas.

Yet, when she reached the checkout, her nine items came to a total of $60.10.

compressed-coles (2).jpeg
Coles shoppers have shared stories of price gouging over the past few months. Image Credit: Shutterstock/doublelee

'What is wrong with Coles? In what reality are two cucumbers worth $7? Have you lost your mind?' she lamented.

'It's cheaper for me to order takeout for two people with sides than getting the bare minimum groceries.'

Avalon's video echoed the sentiment of many shoppers, especially those who need to manage fixed incomes.

Shoppers also shared their shopping mishaps online.

'I went to get rice, chicken, and milk, and it was $32,' one person said.

'I bought a single cabbage, and it was $8!' another exclaimed.

Even a Coles employee admitted to shopping elsewhere.

'The price gouging at Coles is ridiculous,' they shared.

However, some shoppers also asked Avalon why she did not shop at ALDI or a local grocer.

She then responded that she had 'no other option' as it was the only store open at 10 pm in her area.

A Coles spokesperson offered some insights about their pricing.

'We are working harder than ever to keep prices affordable for Australian households,' They stated.

'The price of fresh fruit and vegetables is determined by market pricing, which varies throughout the year due to seasonal weather conditions, as well as supply and demand.'

'We work closely with our growers to ensure a fair market comparable price is provided to them while providing value for our customers,' the spokesperson added.

Coles' explanation, however, gave little comfort to those struggling to afford their weekly shop.

The supermarket giant recently shared an eight per cent growth in profits, totalling to $1.1 billion, amid the cost-of-living crisis.

As they face allegations of price gouging, a Senate inquiry recommended amending the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 to make price gouging an offence for major retailers.

Many shoppers found solace at their local markets or smaller grocers—where prices are more reasonable, and the quality of produce is often better.

Supporting local businesses helps communities and could lead to savings in the long run.

Additionally, being mindful of seasonal produce and planning meals could make a significant difference.
Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne shopper was shocked by the high cost of items at Coles after shopping for nine items amounting to $60.10.
  • The shopper's frustration highlighted the impact of the cost-of-living crisis, which other shoppers also felt and agreed with.
  • A Coles spokesperson attributed the high cost of fresh produce to market pricing influenced by seasonal conditions and supply and demand.
  • Coles' financial growth showed an eight per cent increase in profits despite consumer concerns about high prices.
Have you noticed a rise in prices at your local supermarket? How do you keep your grocery bills manageable during challenging times? We would love to read your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
I'm struggling to get my head around the price of rice checks at $10 a box...disturbing..

No one forced her to shop at Coles. Prices are marked, so dont buy if you dont agree with them.
If a takeaway meal is cheaper then do that!! Save money and vote with your feet rather than decide to buy stuff then whinge to the world about it.

I purchase Fruit & Vegies at a Greengrocer and they are far cheaper than Coles and Woolies. They also have a meat section which is run by a wholesale butcher and again they are cheaper than the supermarkets.
When someone goes shopping at 10pm, what do they expect to pay?

I also buy heinz steam fresh so if I have scrambled eggs for instance for dinner I have one of those with them to have a serve of veg and quick and easy. Can be added to the microwave meals as well as they often don't have veg.

"Have you noticed a rise in prices at your local supermarket?" LOL
Supermarkets were created for convenience with everything in one store, online direct to boot, etc, for that U pay, stop being so lazy.
I'm surprised this person was not aware of the cost of things given the press on the duopoly inquiry.

Reactions: Gsr and PattiB
I wouldn't mind paying the prices if I knew the farmers were getting a better price but they're not.
We use a local farmer, good quality & great prices.

Reactions: Gsr and Littleboy8