SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
What is the greatest lesson that your mother or father has taught you?

For this week's get-to-know-each-other session, we're taking a deep dive into our childhood memories. The question is:

What's the greatest lesson that your mother or father has taught you?

Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 8.04.32 AM.png
Source: Pexels

I was raised by my grandparents - and I think that the most significant lesson they taught me, which I still consciously try to do to this day, is putting myself in someone's shoes before making any judgements. While we may never be able to fully understand what someone is going through, my grandparents have always believed that it's worth keeping an open mind when it comes to these things and seeing how you would react or feel if you were dealt the same cards. I think that mindset has helped me become a better person. I'm forever grateful that they played a huge role in that.

How about you? Share your answer with us in the comments below!

What is the greatest lesson that your mother or father has taught you?

For this week's get-to-know-each-other session, we're taking a deep dive into our childhood memories. The question is:

What's the greatest lesson that your mother or father has taught you?

View attachment 15198
Source: Pexels

I was raised by my grandparents - and I think that the most significant lesson they taught me, which I still consciously try to do to this day, is putting myself in someone's shoes before making any judgements. While we may never be able to fully understand what someone is going through, my grandparents have always believed that it's worth keeping an open mind when it comes to these things and seeing how you would react or feel if you were dealt the same cards. I think that mindset has helped me become a better person. I'm forever grateful that they played a huge role in that.

How about you? Share your answer with us in the comments below!
My parents taught me to be honest (sometimes I think I've been too honest for my own good) ,polite & to obey the rules

My parents taught me that if you have nothing to give, give your time, it's your greatest gift. They spent their whole lives giving to others, volunteering and trying to make other people's lives a little better. I have always tried to emulate their actions. :)

My parents always told me about one door shuts and another opens. This helps when trying to accept disappointments. It happens to be true when you look back over time and see why things happened.

My parents taught me to have respect, respect for everyone. Respect for my family, school teachers, the Police and in fact everyone. I think an important thing they said was I had to respect myself as well, if I didn't have respect for myself, then I would have problems having respect for others. I'm 74 now, but I have never forgotten that and I have tried to bring my own children up with the same values and I have thankfully. I have two teenage grandchildren now and my heart bursts with pride to see that my children have passed this onto both of them.

My mother was an anxious person. My dad had a plaque made, it hung in the kitchen for as long as I can remember. It read “Don’t worry it may never happen”. Not sure how much it helped my mum. But friends say that I am the least flappable person they know.

• Love
Reactions: RTS and Ricci
My dear mother taught me to treat everybody as I would like to be treated, to never think I was better than anyone else and to always offer a smile to everyone I meet each day. ( she also advised me not to have 10 kids like she did or I would never have a moment to myself).

• Love
My Mum used to say "when in doubt, don't" . Looking at shoes and clothes. She would say well if your not sure don't get it. You may find something that you like somewhere else. I use this for lots of things not just clothes, anything I'm thinking of purchasing.

• Love
My parents were honest working class people. The main things that they
instilled on myself and my siblings were :
Don't tell lies
Treat others as you would want to be treated
Don't judge others until you have walked in their shoes.
Be respectful of your elders
Always show respect for the Police, they are there to protect us
The taught us a lot more things about Life which we all have tried
to adhere to.
They were wonderful parents and I hope we made them proud.

• Love
My parents were honest working class people. The main things that they
instilled on myself and my siblings were :
Don't tell lies
Treat others as you would want to be treated
Don't judge others until you have walked in their shoes.
Be respectful of your elders
Always show respect for the Police, they are there to protect us
The taught us a lot more things about Life which we all have tried
to adhere to.
They were wonderful parents and I hope we made them proud.
I’m sure they were very proud of you all. There aren’t many parents who are not proud of at least some aspects of their children, even when children fall by the wayside most parents stay proud of them

My parents were amazing, considering what a rotten teenager I was, but they taught me to be honest loving and trustworthy. Now my problem is that I trust too much, and get hurt very easily.

My father taught me, by example, to be kind, live a good life and have faith in God.

Reactions: Ricci