'What do you say to those people?' Data reveals Services Australia put on hold a staggering 7 million calls in 2023

In an era where customer service is paramount, it's disheartening to learn that millions of phone calls made to Services Australia were left unanswered last year.

This shocking update was revealed in data presented by Services Australia during a senate estimates, painting a grim picture of the current state of customer service in the country.

Services Australia, the agency that oversees Centrelink, is a lifeline for many Australians, especially those who are unemployed, disabled, or in need of financial assistance.

However, the agency's inability to handle the sheer volume of calls it receives has left many Australians frustrated and in a state of limbo.

SDC 1.jpeg
Services Australia revealed that millions of calls were unanswered in 2023. Image source: Shutterstock.

The data showed that approximately 7,444,939 calls to the agency received a congestion message in the year to the end of December.

This means that these calls were not answered but instead were directed to a voicemail system.

In addition to this, over 2 million calls were reportedly terminated by customers, likely due to long wait times.

Currently, the average phone wait time for people trying to access employment services is a staggering 48 minutes—a five-minute increase from the 43-minute average in December 2023.

This is a significant delay, especially for those who may not have the luxury of time or the resources to stay on hold for such a long period.

Services Australia Chief Jarrod Howard acknowledged the issue and assured that increased staff numbers employed at the agency this year should decrease wait times.

'Our strategy at the moment…is to focus on the processing of claims, and we do that for two-fold, ' Mr Howard said.

'We know that it will lead to a reduction in people calling us.'

However, this assurance does little to alleviate the immediate concerns of those who are struggling to get through to the agency.

Greens Senator Janet Rice highlighted the desperation of some individuals, citing testimony from a person on a life support machine who said they waited three days to reach disability services on the phone.

'What do you say to these people?' she asked.

In response to these concerns, Mr Howard apologised to customers struggling to make contact and assured that the staff at the agency were 'working hard' to answer calls.

'I acknowledge, and I apologise to any customer who is struggling to get through to us,' he said.

'There is not a person in the agency that does not want to serve customers.'

David Hazlehurst, the newly appointed Chief Executive, attributed the overblown wait times at the agency to long-term neglect, including under-resourcing from previous governments.

He announced a new staff boost of 3,000 people to begin work in 2024, which he believes would make an 'enormous' difference.

'Services Australia will continue improving our services from across our channels, focusing on improvements in claims processing and telephony.'
Key Takeaways
  • In 2023, over seven million phone calls made to Services Australia were not answered but instead received a congestion message last year, highlighting the issue with the system's capacity.
  • In addition to the calls put on hold, over 2 million calls were reportedly terminated by customers, likely due to lengthy wait times.
  • Services Australia addressed these issues by increasing staff numbers, which is expected to reduce call wait times and improve the processing of claims.
  • Newly appointed Chief Executive David Hazlehurst acknowledged that the problems are partly due to historical under-resourcing and assured that an increase in staff by 3,000 in 2024 should greatly enhance service quality.
What are your experiences with Services Australia? Have you been left on hold or had a call go unanswered? Share your stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
Services Aus. run the Centrelink AND Medicare customer services. Both impossible to get through to. I'm also under Disaster Relief, a special division of Medicare, usually easy and straight through to them regarding things. Now they too are under Services and I can't get through to anyone, on the exact same system! And not the same team as before, they seem unaware of our cases and needs.

Wait times for Medicare are also ridiculous..you can't and don't get through and Centrelink is nigh impossible at any time. They also do shorter hours now! And you can often be on hold for 2 hours, I've done it several times, then it cuts out. It's not acceptable and the same excuses keep being meted out. It MUST be sorted out.

Hanging on for any length of time if your call is on a mobile phone will soon chew up your allowance of data.

The head honcho from Centrelink was on t.v. last night in an interview & stated that they had over a million applications to get through, the Government had given them 3,000 new employees but this was only 10% of what is needed & it will be months before those people are in the system because they must first be trained. He also stated that, needless to say, those in dire need of benefits will have their application prioritised.

Could all this have been avoided if the Government hadn't offered redundancy packages etc to staff members at the start of COVID & kept those trained staff on in some role & weathered the storm until COVID blew over?

This Government will have to lick a lot of boots if it wants to hold office again after the next election, perhaps?

Centrelink has appalling customer service. Average wait time 48 minutes.if you're lucky. More like 1 hour and 48 minutes. Ask five people the same question and get 5 different answers or no one knows the answe to your question. Most of them would be on Centrelink benefits if they didn't work there.
👍

I phoned Services Australia whilst on holiday held on for 45mins to arrange an appointment for a couple of weeks later to lodge application for age pension (I was about to turn 70yrs) and retiring from full time employment. I arranged an appointment for 4 weeks later but when I approached the desk for that appointment was told no you need to take a seat and another customer service officer will call you to make an appointment for next month to be able to talk to someone when I said I had been assured on the phone this would happen at the first arranged time before I even raised my voice 2 guys came over stood each side of me I politely asked them to step out of my space so I can take a seat. This whole process was eventually completed with me going online to apply and still waiting to be considered to this day 3 months later this is a joke with unemployment being the topic of the day shouldn’t this Department be over staffed rather than excuses given successive previous government have lead to this situation, I will happily take a job again and answer phones we keep being told the country is an aging population so only going to get worse ok for all the politicians who get large salaries and better superannuation than the average Australian to say these things just fix the system.
Hearing you on this, what’s the point of retiring, who needs the stress.

Hanging on for any length of time if your call is on a mobile phone will soon chew up your allowance of data.

The head honcho from Centrelink was on t.v. last night in an interview & stated that they had over a million applications to get through, the Government had given them 3,000 new employees but this was only 10% of what is needed & it will be months before those people are in the system because they must first be trained. He also stated that, needless to say, those in dire need of benefits will have their application prioritised.

Could all this have been avoided if the Government hadn't offered redundancy packages etc to staff members at the start of COVID & kept those trained staff on in some role & weathered the storm until COVID blew over?

This Government will have to lick a lot of boots if it wants to hold office again after the next election, perhaps?
They were very lucky to get redundancy packages what about all those poor buggers in the real world that didn’t and we’re trying to feed a family.

I have had to take my grandchildren to centrelink on occassions and have found the staff to be having a good old chat to one another and leaving the people waiting for ages. All I can say is do your job and get those people out of there as soon as possible, they have things to do as well

I would like all pensioners who still work and have a $300 work bonus to start lobbying their local politicians as to why any new pensioners who keep working get a $4000 work bonus and we don’t. This is discrimination by the government against the ones of us who are already working pensioners. Not like our cost of living is less than any other pensioner. If I don’t get any satisfaction from my local politician as to why I will be contacting the media to start publicising this and asking why.

They were very lucky to get redundancy packages what about all those poor buggers in the real world that didn’t and we’re trying to feed a family.
Been there often while raising 4 children.

Before those people could claim benefits (if that was their intention), they would have had to meet certain requirements including expelling all their package over a given period of time.

I have had to take my grandchildren to centrelink on occassions and have found the staff to be having a good old chat to one another and leaving the people waiting for ages. All I can say is do your job and get those people out of there as soon as possible, they have things to do as well

I would like all pensioners who still work and have a $300 work bonus to start lobbying their local politicians as to why any new pensioners who keep working get a $4000 work bonus and we don’t. This is discrimination by the government against the ones of us who are already working pensioners. Not like our cost of living is less than any other pensioner. If I don’t get any satisfaction from my local politician as to why I will be contacting the media to start publicising this and asking why.
Save your breath, time and energy... may as well beat your head against a concrete wall

Reactions: Ezzy
👍

Reactions: IAN3005