SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jonathan Leane

Jonathan Leane

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2021
What are your favourite money saving 'hacks'?

If you have any tips for saving money, this is the place for them. They can be coles/woolies/aldi etc. specific, or way more general.

I'll start... It's not groundbreaking or anything, but I always make sure I have some rice in the house - either the totally uncooked variety, or the pouch ones you just throw in the microwave. We tend to get thai, indian, or chinese takeaway once every couple of weeks, and they tend to charge over $5 for around 50 cents worth of boiled rice... Plus, any boiled rice you don't use is amazing for a homemade fried rice one or two days later.

I buy a whole chook and cut into pieces and freeze in portions enough for one meal - eg drumsticks, thighs and breast meat, the wings and carcass for stock, broth, soup - 6 or more meals for one person. I also buy boned roasting pieces of pork, beef and lamb and slice them into steaks and also freeze in meal portions., and a great baked dinner for one, try a lamb shank or two,

I have solar panels on my house so all electrical appliances are run during the day to ensure I use my own electricity. I haven't had to pay any electricity bills for almost 5 years and am currently in credit to my power company in the amount of $2950. I'm getting a refund of $2500 in the new year leaving a balance so that I don't have to think twice if I need to put on the aircon or heating. I think that by next years end the $450 balance will have risen to about $1000 plus.

Another saving I make is to not pay any banking fees. I use a credit card for ALL of my purchases and then once a month (the day before the due date) transfer the full amount due. This means that I only have one debit per month on my bank account so no transaction fees and a zero balance on the credit card so no interest fees. The Banks make absolutely no money out of me!

Reactions: nickname
Ditto, we use our credit card and always pay it off at the end of the month and never pay fees...(y)

Reactions: Ricci