SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
What are your best tips for someone who is moving?

Hi, members! I (Sethia) am feeling especially cheery today as I'm preparing to pack up and move to a new place that I can call my own! But I'm not going to lie... As exciting as that sounds, this big milestone has been making me anxious, too. Not only because it's a HUGE change but also because buying new furniture, groceries, and appliances, as well as getting all the nitty gritty documents sorted is hard work. So, can I ask for your help? What are your best tips for someone who is moving?

luku-muffin-uf8IGqxUw0o-unsplash.jpg
Source: Unsplash

Reactions: Mo1949
Make you bed at the new place as soon as you arrive. It will then be ready in which for you to flop!
Looks like you may have a cat...if so it will know what's happening so be sure not to let it outside for at least 3 weeks.
Believe me moving is absolutely exhausting.

Don’t!🤣🤣🤣Only joking but when I have to pack up and all the nitty gritties get me down, I think why? But it is exciting, a new adventure! So, I focus on relaxing with music or having friends to help or even talk to while I am packing, thinking positive thoughts. Being very diligent with separating things I don’t really need and trying to keep the amount I am taking with me to a bare minimum as new things are exciting too. I normally check for used I mean loved items that other people are getting rid of and create a whole new world but of course keep my treasured items. Have fun on your new adventure because that is what life is everyday, ENJOY!!!!🎉🎉🎉

• Love
Reactions: Sethia Soliman
Good points Noos.👍
Make you bed at the new place as soon as you arrive. It will then be ready in which for you to flop!
Looks like you may have a cat...if so it will know what's happening so be sure not to let it outside for at least 3 weeks.
Believe me moving is absolutely exhausting.

Don't use paper to wrap your breakables. Such a waste of paper.
Use your towels, pillow cases, etc. I've even used out of season clothes.
I mean its all got to go.

• Love
Don't use paper to wrap your breakables. Such a waste of paper.
Use your towels, pillow cases, etc. I've even used out of season clothes.
I mean its all got to go.
I used to do this too. It moves more things and you've got no rubbish for the bins. Put tag on kittie's collar in case he/she gets out. Tag needs name, new address, phone no and your name.If kitty does get out leave some dry food outside for when your baby picks up your smell. I shifted many as I was breeder of siamese and oriental show cats.

1. I found packing a bit at a time helped, so it didn't become overwhelming.
  2. Have a "when you get there " box, with a kettle, mugs, tea, coffee, sugar, biscuits, etc.
  3. Have your bedding in your car and have someone else make up your bed if possible.
  4. Don't put too many books in one box, but mix them in with lighter things.
  5. Accept all help offered, whether to pack, unpack or any other help you need.
  6. I used to try unpacking one removalist's carton before work [for the move when I was working]
  7. Look after yourself. Give yourself small treats.

Don't fold and pack your bedding. Roll it up like a long carpet roll, put and old sheet around it and when you get to your new home, all you have to do is unroll it and tuck the edges and your bed is made. If you want to take plants from the garden with you, pot them up as soon as you decided to move and they will be ready to transplant when you arrive. And if your pet is the nervous type, a visit to the vet for an anti-anxiety medication will take the stress out of moving for the animal (and you too).

Just tie string or whatever around the clothes hangers, possibly 6 together then you can just place hangers onto rack in new wardrobe. Ditto using teatowels etc to pack crockery (not paper) and glasses then towels etc for the larger items you do not want to break.
If possible clean as you go i.e. pack boxes to corner of room then vacuum.

• Love
Pack each room individually in boxes. And write what room the box belongs to on the box. Then when arriving put those boxes in the new appropriate room after the beds and heavy furniture have gone in first

• Love
Don't fold and pack your bedding. Roll it up like a long carpet roll, put and old sheet around it and when you get to your new home, all you have to do is unroll it and tuck the edges and your bed is made. If you want to take plants from the garden with you, pot them up as soon as you decided to move and they will be ready to transplant when you arrive. And if your pet is the nervous type, a visit to the vet for an anti-anxiety medication will take the stress out of moving for the animal (and you too).
I have NEVER held with doping animals. I sent kittens all over Australia plus 8 to Holland without any problems. Carry cages only had food, water and something with a familiar smell eg old towel to keep them comfortable.

A trick my mother taught me and removalists love me for doing it. Tie cartons with old pantyhose rather than string. It's stronger and doesn't cut into the box.
Tear up old worn towels or linen or use small towels or pillowcases you are discarding to wrap around delicate chair or table legs, over chair backs etc. and use sheets you are discarding to wrap upholstered furniture. Secure with old pantyhose. Keeps precious furnishings clean and protects from scratching. If your removalist isn't fantastic, you will be very glad you took these precautions.

• Love
Mark your boxes by number only then get a book and write that number in it and what’s in that box next to the number. Use towels to wrap breakables. Put all your things in one place and this makes it easier when moving to a removal van. Don’t pay for boxes go to Bunnings and collect them for free in there storage area near the checkouts. If you have a garage in your new home put all your boxes in there and unpack when required.

• Love
Color code cartons with bright stickers, using one color for ''open first'' - items you will need immediately on arrival at your destination; and then in order of urgency to access. Tell removalists what each colour means and ask them to stack accordingly, so that boxes of things you need urgently are not buried on the bottom of a pile of cartons or tucked away somewhere out of sight.

Make an inventory on a spreadsheet listing all items of furniture, appliances etc. with their approx value and the sq m of space they require on a truck, and each numbered carton with a summary of contents, approx value, and size. When unpacking, check off each item on the spreadsheet to ensure nothing has been lost in transit or damaged. This will make insurance claims easy. The size estimate will help you determine what size removal truck is required and compare quotes for transport. If you move from time to time, keep the spreadsheet on your computer and update it periodically as you dispose of items or buy new.

• Love
  1. I found packing a bit at a time helped, so it didn't become overwhelming.
  2. Have a "when you get there " box, with a kettle, mugs, tea, coffee, sugar, biscuits, etc.
  3. Have your bedding in your car and have someone else make up your bed if possible.
  4. Don't put too many books in one box, but mix them in with lighter things.
  5. Accept all help offered, whether to pack, unpack or any other help you need.
  6. I used to try unpacking one removalist's carton before work [for the move when I was working]
  7. Look after yourself. Give yourself small treats.
Fully support all,these suggestions, especially having a box just for tea, coffee, jug, mugs etc so you don’t have to unpack bigger things to have a cuppa. And make your bed before doing anything else so you can rest.
if you are buying new furniture as s
you mentioned, I was able to negotiate a big discount by buying everything in one go at the same place. And finally, if you can possibly afford it - don’t pack anything except your personal essentials. Let the Removalists do it all. The utter joy of watching them empty my wardrobe into a wardrobe box, everything still on the hangars, then just hang them straight back into the wardrobes at my new place.

• Love
Don’t!🤣🤣🤣Only joking but when I have to pack up and all the nitty gritties get me down, I think why? But it is exciting, a new adventure! So, I focus on relaxing with music or having friends to help or even talk to while I am packing, thinking positive thoughts. Being very diligent with separating things I don’t really need and trying to keep the amount I am taking with me to a bare minimum as new things are exciting too. I normally check for used I mean loved items that other people are getting rid of and create a whole new world but of course keep my treasured items. Have fun on your new adventure because that is what life is everyday, ENJOY!!!!🎉🎉🎉
last things to pack and take seperately in the car (or whatever) a couple of cups, tea and coffee, all the things required to make a cuppa, a couple of cooking utensils along with plates etc, in fact anything you would take if going overnight camping, (toothbrush etc and change of clothes) and don't forget a bottle or two of bubbly and a corkscrew and glasses (although the glasses are not essential, straight from the bottle, you will deserve it ha ha). we moved 7 years ago and MOST of the stuff is still packed in boxes in the shed the garage and all 4 bedrooms so advise having a clearout before hand, we thought take it all and clearout as we unpack, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. best of luck and wish you well on the move and in your new home.

• Love