SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
What are your best AND worst purchases?

G'day, lovely members! For this week's get-to-know-each-other session, I'm curious about what your best and worst purchases are.

amy-shamblen-F52I5BtDuhY-unsplash.jpg
Source: Unsplash

Recently, I got my hands on a nifty trolley with wheels to keep all of my cat food, toppers, supplements, and accessories organised. I am stocked up on duck floss, quail eggs, freeze-dried turkey and chicken liver cubes, and many more to ensure that my furry friends are having the time of their lives. I know it sounds like I’m collecting various ingredients to make a magical potion in a witch cauldron, but I think I’m more of that crazy cat lady you hear about on the telly, and absolutely no one can stop me. So, my best purchase would definitely be that trolley! I've been meaning to come up with a way to organise my cat's things while keeping them accessible and stylish as it's so easy for them to end up cluttered. And no one likes clutter, right?

Meanwhile, I think my worst purchase would have to be a mini karaoke machine that I bought online. It was working, but not in the way you'd expect it to. It would make awful feedback noises when you move the microphone slightly and it produces a very unpleasing, muffled sound when you talk into it. Luckily, it only cost me a few dollars, but I guess sometimes, you just get what you pay for!

How about you? Share yours with us in the comments below.

I would like to tell everyone on SDC about the Coles Baby Bubble Bath, photo attached. Cost $2-50 x 1Ltr if you read the ingredients list, it is the same as all the body washes, dish washing liquids. I have been buying it for years and use it to replace every other cleaning liquid! Hand/Face Wash, Shower Jell, Hair Shampoo, Dish washing liquid. I even use it to wash the car!! Best Buy Ever!

Attachments

• Coles Bubble Bath.JPG
    Coles Bubble Bath.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 0
My best buy would have to be our house, and my worst buy, I can only say it would probably be some of my choices in clothing over the years. Definitely, clothing that I have bought online and they arrive not looking anything like they did on the website or guessing what size you need because although you may wear a size 10-12 their size is XL. And then the XL turns up and you give it to a 12 year old because somehow it is only going to fit a child.

My worst buy was from a company called Coneyseed. I ordered 2 high chairs at the price of $79. I had them delivered to my friends home as it was much closer than I am. I waited and waited and after 5 weeks the parcel arrived. This parcel contained a pair of sunglasses. I have sent about 8 emails and 2 weeks ago was told a refund would be in my bank account in 7 days ,I returned the glasses at a cost of $25, theres no refund yet.

Best buy is my Mazda BT-50. Bought it in Dec 2017 and still in love with it everyday.

Worst buy was a modular curve lounge suite (2 x 2 seat lean back chairs, 1 mini single chair and 1 curved corner chair). Within 3 months the curved corner back rest broke and could no longer be used. Then 2 years later one of the two lay back arm rest broke and one side of the lean back broke. Within 4 years the padding became that squished the chairs are no longer comfortable to sit on. The only piece that is still ok is the mini one seat that no one uses'. Sad thing I no longer have $3,600. to buy another one.

I bought some mince from Woolies . Carindale. It was in the meat department. When I bought it home and cooked it in a stew. When we started eating it it had a a very lot of bones in it. It was labled frest mince. Howecer it turned out to be pets mince. It had been labled wrong. We took it back. lable in tacked. It had been labled wrongly.

My best buy was definitely a stick vacuum from ALDI last year, it was under $100 and is so efficient and I don't have to get out my heavy Dyson so frequently as this little gem does a great job. My worst buy was a steam iron from ALDI, konked out after 3 months, they sent me another and it did the same so in the bin it went and I went back to purchasing a Sunbeam which I had had in the past

My best buy was an battery powered lawn mower.
So easy and quiet.
Worst was a car which I purchased on a impulse.
I was going to, purchase a smallish car and no more than $15 / $18 thousand.
Not so.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I bought some mince from Woolies . Carindale. It was in the meat department. When I bought it home and cooked it in a stew. When we started eating it it had a a very lot of bones in it. It was labled frest mince. Howecer it turned out to be pets mince. It had been labled wrong. We took it back. lable in tacked. It had been labled wrongly.
🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Jarred Santos
I've made alot of good buys but one that stands out is an old wedding dress from Salvos for 50 cents.
I thought great dress up for my girls..
It was made of Duponi silk.

After many months later and laying in my garage my girls had stopped playing with it.

I decided to take it to an antique shop as I had an inkling it was vintage, was hoping to maybe get $50 for it.

When I took it to a shop near Moore Park Sydney , the lady told me she couldn't give what it was worth but she could give me the name of someone who could. I really didnt want to take it to someone else so I asked , what can you give me, she replied only $350.00 I said I was happy to take it but years later I often wonder what the real value would have been but I was happy making $299.50 plus the many many hours my daughters had fun with it.

Worst buys ...has to be a few items of clothes I purchased on line.

Last edited:
Worse purchase would have to be an entire set of Encyclopedia Britannica, just months before the introduction of these volumes on CD was a new thing. My kids never used them. They are in mint condition, except for the dust they are collecting. If only I could go back.
Best purchase, my home. Been here for 38 years and have no intention of leaving any time soon. It is old and tired, a bit like me, so we get along very well. It's my happy place.

Worse purchase would have to be an entire set of Encyclopedia Britannica, just months before the introduction of these volumes on CD was a new thing. My kids never used them. They are in mint condition, except for the dust they are collecting. If only I could go back.
Best purchase, my home. Been here for 38 years and have no intention of leaving any time soon. It is old and tired, a bit like me, so we get along very well. It's my happy place.
Oh wow --- now that you mention it, I used to love reading encyclopedias a kid :LOL: but you're right, a shame about the timing!

Pardon me for asking, but I'm sure others are curious too: did it taste any different from the usual?

Hard to say which Best Buy is my best. I had a few and have purchased a lot of original artworks at Hospital Charity Fund-Raisers and others from art galleries. Some amazing pieces hanging on my walls. These are not rural Australian country scenes as they are not my thing. I can appreciate them but they are all the same. Everyone should try the hospital art fund raiser displays and are usually advertised in local paper or other local papers when they are on. A portion of each artwork goes to raise money for the hospital. Helps buy another much needed piece of medical equipment and sometimes a few items.

I did go on a bus shopping trip one with a group of ladies one Saturday and got three (3) designer bags for $120 ($40 each) and yes, original designer handbags. The retail value of the three back then about 1995 was about $880, maybe even more. One was a beautiful Perri Cutten and all leather and specially designed/patterned leather. I have all three today and they are like new. I look after my handbags.