SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
What are you ‘too old’ for but still enjoy doing anyway?

Hello, lovely members! I hope you're all feeling extra cheery today as you're due for another get-to-know-each-other session. This week, I stumbled across a heartwarming post shared by LEGO's biggest fan page on Facebook.

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 7.45.23 AM.png
Source: Beyond the Brick/Facebook

It was captioned: 'My 83-year-old nan has completed the LEGO Disney Castle. She is very proud of doing most of it on her own!'

I scrolled down the comments section and saw that everyone was SO positive about this nan's achievement. It moved me and got me thinking, what hobbies do SDC members fearlessly love doing, regardless of their age? I hope this thread encourages everyone to be proud of their interests, whatever they may be. I certainly enjoy a few things that are considered 'too old' for my age too, including binge-watching Disney movies and colouring in. But I strongly believe that no one should be shamed for the things that make them happy!

If you want to join in on the fun, feel free to share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Reactions: Ricci
I used to build sailing ship models on a 1/100 scale. Now that I am retired I thought I could finally take this up again. I had a model i had not worked on for 20 years and only had the hull done. I am finding it that my eyesight is not so good anymore in spite of glasses and I can't keep my fingers stable or still enough either. I am determined to finish it but it is going to take a bit longer and it will be the last one. Richard

I used to build sailing ship models on a 1/100 scale. Now that I am retired I thought I could finally take this up again. I had a model i had not worked on for 20 years and only had the hull done. I am finding it that my eyesight is not so good anymore in spite of glasses and I can't keep my fingers stable or still enough either. I am determined to finish it but it is going to take a bit longer and it will be the last one. Richard
You will finish it and what's that saying? Slow and steady wins the race ! You should post a picture up when it is finished

Reactions: Joyem and Ricci
Hi Everyone,
I am an Auzzie in London ,
Seventy five years old and still teaching full time.
I love this city with so much to do at the week ends.
However I miss my friends and weather on the Gold Coast.
I enjoy reading what's happening back home every day
Well done for keeping me in touch

I'm thinking of taking back up my hobby of mosaics. I promised my son in law ages ago that I would do him a picture of his beloved Rabbitohs. I saw a side table the other day that I think the logo would sit on very nicely so I'm toying up how expensive it would work out to be and the exact method to use.
Other than that I find two SDC newsletters a day keeps me fairly busy and out of trouble! By the time I've read the articles, commented where I might, read other people's responses and maybe commented again. my day is almost over! :)

Reactions: Joyem
I still like to keep active about my unit,I am in a retirement village complex,90 yrs young,love making sure I am still with it by getting up early,0530 hrs.Do a bit of gardening,then check my mail,whilst breakie is cooking.Next is off for a drive some place,lunch out then head home.Most evenings I get on FB & yarn to other old veterans,many not as fortunate as myself.I get a hell of a lift out of it,& know most of my old commrades do also.It could be a very lonely world out there if not.Once a SAPPER always a SAPPER.

• Love
When I go to the movies I love getting the kids seat to put on my seat Ofcouse I sit on the back row so not to block anybody My grandchildren think it’s hilarious but I don’t care I feel really tall Not easy to feel tall at 4ft 9 inches 🤣🤣

• Love
  • Haha
What are you ‘too old’ for but still enjoy doing anyway?

Hello, lovely members! I hope you're all feeling extra cheery today as you're due for another get-to-know-each-other session. This week, I stumbled across a heartwarming post shared by LEGO's biggest fan page on Facebook.

View attachment 16478
Source: Beyond the Brick/Facebook

It was captioned: 'My 83-year-old nan has completed the LEGO Disney Castle. She is very proud of doing most of it on her own!'

I scrolled down the comments section and saw that everyone was SO positive about this nan's achievement. It moved me and got me thinking, what hobbies do SDC members fearlessly love doing, regardless of their age? I hope this thread encourages everyone to be proud of their interests, whatever they may be. I certainly enjoy a few things that are considered 'too old' for my age too, including binge-watching Disney movies and colouring in. But I strongly believe that no one should be shamed for the things that make them happy!

If you want to join in on the fun, feel free to share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
I have done many new things as I aged but one thing I still enjoy from my childhood is blowing bubbles- soap bubbles in the bath- real soap is better than liquid, or even the easily bought bubble tubes are still fun. I think "fun" is the key word. Looking for four leaf clovers, seeing (and naming) shapes in the clouds (this is more satisfying to do with a friend) and walking along a sandy beach in the shallow water all bring back great memories. Using a "Copy Book" has developed into a love of Calligraphy.

I love doing jigsaw puzzles and have just completed a 3D one that a friend gave me. I like reading these newsletters of SDC and doing most games. I also do other games on the computer.