What are the eligibility requirements for a Seniors Card?

You may be eligible for a Seniors Card, which offers discounts on a range of goods and services. However, it's important to note that the eligibility requirements for this program can vary from state to state and territory to territory.

In this article, we will provide you with an overview of the eligibility criteria for the Seniors Card in each state and territory of Australia.

Wondering whether you’re eligible for a Seniors Card? Wonder no more; simply read on to find out.

Australian Capital Territory

ACT.png

Eligibility:​

You can apply for an Australian Capital Territory Seniors Card if:
  • You're over the age of 60.
  • You're a permanent resident of the ACT.
  • You work less than 20 hours per week in paid employment.

When can I apply?​

You can apply two months before your 60th birthday. Your card will be issued when you turn 60. More information about eligibility requirements can be found here.

New South Wales

NSW.png
New South Wales

There are two cards available to Seniors in NSW, the Seniors Card and the Senior Savers card.

Eligibility for NSW Seniors Card
  • 60 or over
  • Permanent resident of NSW
  • Doing 20 HOURS OR LESS of paid work a week on average across 12 months (1,040 or fewer hours over the course of a year).

Eligibility for the Senior Savers Card
  • 60 or over
  • Doing MORE THAN 20 HOURS of paid work a week on average across 12 months (over 1,040 hours over the course of a year).

If you reduce your paid employment to 20 hours a week or less (averaged over 12 months), or you retire completely, you can convert your Senior Savers Card to a Seniors Card.

When can I apply?​

You can apply on or after your 60th birthday.

Northern Territory

NT.png
Northern Territory

You can apply for your Northern Territory Seniors Card if you are a permanent resident aged 60 or over.

When can I apply?​

Queensland

QLD.png
Queensland

There are three types of Seniors Cards available in Queensland. The standard Seniors Card, Seniors Card+go, and a Seniors Business Discount Card.

To be eligible for a Seniors Card or Seniors Card+go you must be:

• be a permanent resident of Queensland.
  • 65 years or older and working less than 35 hours a week in paid employment
  • OR
  • 60–64 years, working less than 35 hours a week in paid employment and the holder of one of the below:
    • Commonwealth Pensioner Concession Card, which you can find more information about here.
    • Commonwealth Health Care Card, which you can find more information about here.
    • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, which you can find more information about here and here.
    • Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold, White or Orange card, which you can find more about here.

If you're not eligible for the Queensland Seniors Card or Seniors Card +go, you may still qualify for the Seniors Business Discount Card.

To be eligible for a Seniors Business Discount Card you must be:
  • Aged 60 or over

Proof of age and address is required when you apply and you will be asked to provide one of the following:

• Centrelink customer reference number (CRN)
  • DVA file number
  • Queensland driver's licence number, adult proof of age or photo ID card number

When can I apply?​

You can apply two months before your 60th birthday and your card will be issued when you turn 60.

South Australia

SA.png
South Australia

You can apply for a South Australian Seniors Card if:
  • you're aged 60 years or older
  • you're a permanent South Australian resident
  • you're not working more than 20 hours per week in paid employment (part-time and casual employees may average their hours over 12 months).

When can I apply?​

You can apply seven days before your 60th birthday or anytime after.

Tasmania

TAS.png
Tasmania

You can apply for a Tasmania Seniors Card if:
  • You're aged 60 years or over
  • You're a permanent resident of Tasmania
  • You’re not working more than 20 hours per week in paid employment

When can I apply?​

Victoria

VIC.png
Victoria

There are two cards available to seniors in Victoria, the Seniors Card and the Seniors Business Discount Card.

Eligibility for Victorian Seniors Card:
  • Must be aged 60 or over
  • Permanent resident of Victoria
  • Must be doing 35 HOURS OR LESS of paid work a week on average across 12 months (1,820 or fewer hours over the course of a year).

Eligibility for Victorian Seniors Business Discount Card
  • Must be doing 35 HOURS OR MORE of paid work a week on average across 12 months (1,820 or more hours over the course of a year).

When you reduce your paid employment to less than 35 hours a week (averaged over 12 months), or you retire completely, you can convert your Seniors Business Discount Card to a Seniors Card.

‘Permanent resident’ of Victoria means that your primary residence, at which you spend the majority of the year, is in Victoria.

When can I apply?​

If you meet the other two criteria, you can apply for the Seniors Card OR Seniors Business Discount Card, three weeks before your 60th birthday.

Western Australia

WA.png
Western Australia

To be eligible for the Western Australia Seniors card, you need to:
  • Be aged 63 years or above.
  • Be an Australian Citizen or hold an Australian Permanent Resident Visa.
  • Have resided in Western Australia for more than half the year.
  • Work less than 25 hours per week in paid employment.

When can I apply?​

If you are born on or before 30 June 1958, the qualifying age for the WA Seniors Card is 63 years old. If you were born after 30 June 1958, please refer to the table below.

Screen Shot 2023-02-22 at 3.52.47 pm.png
Age requirements

Members, we hope this has helped you determine your Seniors Card eligibility.

What’s next?​

If you’re eligible and interested in applying, you can find everything you need to know to apply here. We also discuss the benefits of each Seniors Card here.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeslieD and Zoya
Sponsored
You may be eligible for a Seniors Card, which offers discounts on a range of goods and services. However, it's important to note that the eligibility requirements for this program can vary from state to state and territory to territory.

In this article, we will provide you with an overview of the eligibility criteria for the Seniors Card in each state and territory of Australia.

Wondering whether you’re eligible for a Seniors Card? Wonder no more; simply read on to find out.

View attachment 14200

You can apply for an Australian Capital Territory Seniors Card if:
  • You're over the age of 60.
  • You're a permanent resident of the ACT.
  • You work less than 20 hours per week in paid employment.

When can I apply?​

You can apply two months before your 60th birthday. Your card will be issued when you turn 60. More information about eligibility requirements can be found here.

New South Wales

View attachment 14199
New South Wales

There are two cards available to Seniors in NSW, the Seniors Card and the Senior Savers card.

Eligibility for NSW Seniors Card
  • 60 or over
  • Doing 20 HOURS OR LESS of paid work a week on average across 12 months (1,040 or fewer hours over the course of a year).

Eligibility for the Senior Savers Card
  • 60 or over
  • Doing MORE THAN 20 HOURS of paid work a week on average across 12 months (over 1,040 hours over the course of a year).

If you reduce your paid employment to 20 hours a week or less (averaged over 12 months), or you retire completely, you can convert your Senior Savers Card to a Seniors Card.

When can I apply?​

Northern Territory

View attachment 14198
Northern Territory

You can apply for your Northern Territory Seniors Card if you are a permanent resident aged 60 or over.

When can I apply?​

Queensland

There are three types of Seniors Cards available in Queensland. The standard Seniors Card, Seniors Card+go, and a Seniors Business Discount Card.

To be eligible for a Seniors Card or Seniors Card+go you must be:

• be a permanent resident of Queensland.
  • 65 years or older and working less than 35 hours a week in paid employment
  • OR
  • 60–64 years, working less than 35 hours a week in paid employment and the holder of one of the below:
    • Commonwealth Pensioner Concession Card, which you can find more information about here.
    • Commonwealth Health Care Card, which you can find more information about here.
    • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, which you can find more information about here and here.
    • Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold, White or Orange card, which you can find more about here.

If you're not eligible for the Queensland Seniors Card or Seniors Card +go, you may still qualify for the Seniors Business Discount Card.

To be eligible for a Seniors Business Discount Card you must be:
  • Aged 60 or over

Proof of age and address is required when you apply and you will be asked to provide one of the following:

• Centrelink customer reference number (CRN)
  • DVA file number
  • Queensland driver's licence number, adult proof of age or photo ID card number

When can I apply?​

You can apply two months before your 60th birthday and your card will be issued when you turn 60.

South Australia

View attachment 14196
South Australia

You can apply for a South Australian Seniors Card if:
  • you're aged 60 years or older
  • you're a permanent South Australian resident
  • you're not working more than 20 hours per week in paid employment (part-time and casual employees may average their hours over 12 months).

When can I apply?​

You can apply seven days before your 60th birthday or anytime after.

Tasmania

You can apply for a Tasmania Seniors Card if:
  • You're aged 60 years or over
  • You're a permanent resident of Tasmania
  • You’re not working more than 20 hours per week in paid employment

When can I apply?​

Victoria

There are two cards available to seniors in Victoria, the Seniors Card and the Seniors Business Discount Card.

Eligibility for Victorian Seniors Card:
  • Must be doing 35 HOURS OR LESS of paid work a week on average across 12 months (1,820 or fewer hours over the course of a year).

Eligibility for Victorian Seniors Business Discount Card
  • Must be doing 35 HOURS OR MORE of paid work a week on average across 12 months (1,820 or more hours over the course of a year).

When you reduce your paid employment to less than 35 hours a week (averaged over 12 months), or you retire completely, you can convert your Seniors Business Discount Card to a Seniors Card.

‘Permanent resident’ of Victoria means that your primary residence, at which you spend the majority of the year, is in Victoria.

When can I apply?​

If you meet the other two criteria, you can apply for the Seniors Card OR Seniors Business Discount Card, three weeks before your 60th birthday.

Western Australia

View attachment 14193
Western Australia

To be eligible for the Western Australia Seniors card, you need to:
  • Be aged 63 years or above.
  • Be an Australian Citizen or hold an Australian Permanent Resident Visa.
  • Have resided in Western Australia for more than half the year.
  • Work less than 25 hours per week in paid employment.

When can I apply?​

If you are born on or before 30 June 1958, the qualifying age for the WA Seniors Card is 63 years old. If you were born after 30 June 1958, please refer to the table below.

View attachment 14201
Age requirements

Members, we hope this has helped you determine your Seniors Card eligibility.

What’s next?​

If you’re eligible and interested in applying, you can find everything you need to know to apply here. We also discuss the benefits of each Seniors Card here.
Why is WA the only state that does not let Seniors get a card at 60? Come on, we are all in the same country, I am 82 and I have one, but think this is disgustingly biased.

Reactions: Kimrus and robbie's
I can't understand why I have to wait until I'm 65 before I can get the Senior's Card here in WA. The rest of Australia can apply when they are 60!!!! Every time I get near the age, they put it up again. At this rate,, I'll never qualify for it.

My question…why cannot ALL states be the same…apply 7 days before you are 60. Work less than 20 hours per week in paid employment…end of story!!
Government…..has a lot to answer for